• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Structure Breakdown... New Spot Every Week!!!

Matt Johnson

I like this spot for several reasons, some of which are already mentioned... it offers a variety of structure types which can be used throughout the calendar period. Spot A and E offer-up spawning areas for panfish and even bass. Shallow flats protruding offer shoreline structure will usually hold fish, no matter the species, it just falls down to timing.

As far as C goes, I look at that as a staging area for spring and a holding area for summer fish. It's a two-fold spot that can be dynamite--once again--for a variety of species. Those mainlake humps off predominant structure get ranked high in my book.

Spot B is another migration route where you can typically intercept schooling fish, right now especially. If the fish are not up shallow, they are typically on area like spot B. This is a spot where your electronics play an important role, as you will need to move to find fish, but once you do you can generally expect to cash-in on a good pod of decent fish. Spot B is also a spot where you can find panfish during the hot summer months as they move to the outside weedline and seek out cooler water. Toothy fish will follow too smile

Spot D is basically a spot leading into deep water which will eventually be the final move for the spring transition as we lead into summer. Fish will seek the coolest water at times and find comfort in the open water of the mainlake basins. Panfish especially. Mainlake basins are some of the most underused spots on the lake in my opinion. We like to fish structure and key on something, but finding fish over the basins can not only provide excellent numbers, but increased size too. The "pack mentality" comes into play where safety in numbers becomes important for the fish. I challenge you to seek out basin fish this summer as well.

Overall this snap shot is unique because it depicts the entire spring transition. Although this map doesn't show it, the variance in bottom content is available here as well, so the amount of options is seemingly endless.

A fun area nonetheless...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• fridron

• wbliceman

• Ishikawa

also, from what i see, spot C and E you can play the wind for 'EYES, They may be on the "windy" side of that sunken island chasing baitfish, while crappies and the like will likely be on the opposite side trying to get some cover. Especially if that spot C actually gets shallow enough for waves to really "hit" or crash onto it.

C would probably be my first spot to check out for walleye. Followed by the dropoff side of E.

A & the "west X south-west" part of E would be my first look for panfish, but i like the trough created between A & E as well, at night or late evening i could see gamefish moving in there or staging to start chasing bait into the shallows.

Ive never done it but if yall did some lead-core "contour" trolling with cranks you could wind and weave through this whole area. Start going around E, around the point, up past A, circle around the "island C" and loop back. Here is one quick article about contour trolling with lead core in the shallows.

http://www.thenextbite.com/node/2280

"As far as C goes, I look at that as a staging area for spring and a holding area for summer fish. It's a two-fold spot that can be dynamite--once again--for a variety of species. Those mainlake humps off predominant structure get ranked high in my book"

I'm confused, isn't the hump the predominant structure? If not, what is?

Sorry, I was referring to more of the shoreline structure like underwater points and larger pieces of structure jetting out from shore. But yes, the hump would be considered an important piece of structure as well... sorry for the confusion...

Hee. I recognize both of the last two spots although I've primarily fished other spots on those lakes. The nice thing about Minnetonka and Waconia is they both have great mulit-species spots. grin

Spot A would be my first destination for Walleyes, especially is it's sand bottom with decent weed growth. Spot E would be my second choice. I would fish the tip and the deep side of spot E. Spot C would be my third choice. There might be some fish on spot C, but for me it's a bit early in the season for that spot to hold large numbers of fish.

Hey Matt, did you receive my email?

Derrick... yes... they came through just fine... I will use them this week buddy... thanks!!!

Matt, thank you for your postings and map ideas. I have been away from fishing for quite sometime am really looking forward to getting back into it. I recently purchased a Fishing Kayak and I the mood to spend quite a bit if time on the water this summer.

Here's a cool map (courtesy of MedicineMan) that showcases a fun snap shot from Lake Independence. Let's take this map and look at in terms of the opener this weekend... let's relate these spots to walleye locations and how they might be used depending on weather conditions...

Indy_Map_31.jpg

Anyone care to start? Feel free to throw in some pike ideas too...

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to hit the inside edges on spot A for the opener or during this past week? Or what about slip-bobbering the top of spot C when the sun was going down?

I've never caught a walleye on Indy. Do locators work, or is it too murky? Also, what is the best method for searching for the proper depth?

Locators will work in any water, regardless of water clarity. As far as proper depth goes, I would start with either a paper lake map or a GPS unit with a lake map chip of some sort... give yourself at least an area to start. If you have a locator, then finding the depth is easy, if you don't then it could be rather difficult... although using a slip-bobber could work by finding the bottom and then giving a rough guess as to the depth by pulling up the line... then you can adjust the slip-knot so your bait is a foot or so off the bottom. I would start by working the outside weed line (weeds are usually visible but not always). If you can see the weeds, then back off until they begin to disappear and work those areas. I've found lately that if you're not right on the edge of the weed line then you won't get bit. Use the structure you can see as a starting point...

OK, let's try a new spot in light of the bass opener. Here is a snap shot from Coon Lake up in Anoka County. This lake definitely offers a vairety of structure types...

CoonBass.jpg

Now, for you bass-heads out there, put things into perspective in regards to opening day locations moving into summer.

Spot A is the mouth of the channel (or the actual channel) connecting the two sides of the lake.

Spot B is the mouth of the back channel (or the actual channel) leading into a shallow back water.

Spot C is the flat immediately out from the channel.

Spot D is an isolated hump approaching main lake structure.

Spot E and F are shoreline flats... typically inside weed edge and/or weed covered. Also dock areas.

How is each spot used and is there any rhyme or reason as to a pattern for moving from spot to spot???

A,C & D are tough places to fish with all the boats that are continually going through there.

Nice seeing you the other day IcePro smile

Agreed, the traffic in those areas can be tough at times. Weekdays preferred, especially if you're fishing spot A.

I've done well throwing into spot B and working baits around the mouth early in the AM... same with the flats on spot C... both potential early AM and later afternoon spots when the traffic might calm down a bit...

This thread has slowed down a bit since the openers. Is everybody too busy fishing now? Is that it? Lolz....must be catching lots!

Fished a bass tournament on Coon last Saturday. The 1st and 2nd place teams were fishing in these general areas. Some nice fish were caught transitioning out to the deeper water.

Fished a bass tournament on Coon last Saturday. The 1st and 2nd place teams were fishing in these general areas. Some nice fish were caught transitioning out to the deeper water.

Seems to make sense. A lot of fish on the move following forage. I enjoy finding fish on the transition... typically if you can intercept them they usually devour whatever is in their path. What sort of weight won the event and for how many fish?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a fun one for you walleye anglers. Green Lake in Chisago County. A classic spot(s) that sees a lot of pressure. Anglers target a lot of different species here, but let's discuss walleyes for the sake of this snap shot...

GreenWalleyeFM.jpg

Do you feel that the different spots on this map are intended for different seasons? If so, which ones, for which season? Have fun with it...

No one wants to take a stab at this one?

I'll go then...

The main lake basin (spots D and E) are excellent trolling or drifting spots during the summer months. This is the deepest water in the lake and I've done well pulling cranks through this area, as well as three-way rigging crawlers. The walleyes tend to hold mostly along the east side of the basin up against the steepest breaks, however the rogue big fish typically comes out in the open. This map really doesn't do the spot justice because there is a lot more structure than depicted above. Swimbaits have taken a few fish out there too... big bass are with the walleyes as well wink

I agree with the summer crankin all along that steep shore line, checking all depths and that little tip plus the inside turn looks very interesting for some winter experimentation. I believe this lake is stocked, but I wouldn't be afraid to hit the point [A] in the spring or any time wind is blowing across it. B&C, boy, I don't see a down-side for either of these spots any time of the year or manner of fishing. I would like C or D with some vertical jigging after a front. cool

The nice thing about 3-way rigging is you have the option of varying your depth more but the down side is more susceptible to snags. Bottom bouncers are less likely to get hung up in the rocks, wood and weeds. So I would make my choice depending on what type of bottom structure that body of water has.

3-ways work just fine on this spot if you're fishing deep (basin) because the content works. If you ride up shallower or work drastic depth changes then running bouncers will work, or I even drift with carolina rigs (same as the bass setup but geared towards walleye)... you can also cast this technique and cover different angles too...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to change things up a bit... instead of just dedicating certain spots a letter, I'm going to add a few "trolling lines" to the snap shot. These lines are depicted in yellow and can be used to talk about trolling patterns too... so for you walleye and pike anglers this might open up more conversation...

The below snap shot is from Big Marine Lake in Washington County. An excellent multi-species lake full of bass, pike, walleye and panfish. A fun lake to fish with a variety of structure-types too...

BigMarine_fm.jpg

Let's open up the discussion and not limit it to any species. All of the spots shown here can work for several different species. Let's just discuss summer patterns in general, as I feel these are all good potential summer spots.

So, anyone want to answer why these spots might hold fish during the summer months? What about the trolling patterns? Does the structure make a difference?

• 4 weeks later...

Matt. its been a long time since I have posted on the sight. Good to see you are still out there and providing great reports and insight.

Big Marine caught my eye as I moved up to the Stillwater area and have been fishing Big Carnelian and some others in the area. I have been meaning to get to on Big Marine. Checked it out one weekend recently and lots of boat traffic. My guess is as fall approaches the rec traffic will go down and i plan to targer for bass, pike, panfih, and some walleye.

I have heard some great things on the bass fishing. Let me know if you ever find your way up to Big Marine and maybe can touch base while out on the water.

Big Marine is fun... I think we did that lake if you look back some pages. Being near Stillwater now, are you going to hit the Croix for crappies then? smile I see you already found Big Carnelian wink

Matt, I hear great things about the St.Croix but have not ventured out there as of yet. Lots of water so my first time out will most likely hook up with someone who has basic knowledge on launch points and general areas for smallies, walleye, and crappie !!!

Heck I even hear that there are areas that are good for ice fishing on the St. Croix.

I have had great success fishing the Mississippi over the years as I have a good friend that lives in the St. Cloud area. Originally we had pounded small mouth on the Mississippi and it was a total blast. Over time we found that there was some world class crappie fishing that existed on some quite stretchs of rhe mighty Mississippi.

I guess is should be a surpirse that a river system holds crappie. However, to find schools of 12-15" pig crappies was a bit surprising but what a blast !!!!

Hopefully the St. Croix also holds these smallie, crappie, and walleye tresures. I will look to try in the fall as seems like tons of rec treffis in the areas on the St. Croix I have been.

All of the spots have the deep-shallow, safety-feeding, accessibility that fish "like". For the trolling run towards D, I would definitely long-line and not rule out lead core. The point at C would be lead core or bottom bouncers for control. A is definitely bouncer country with a nudge for deep divers as an option and not over-looking the possibility of suspenders off the tip. All of the spots would be both spinner and crank bait usable, and don't forget the smaller sizes for the possibility of nice pannies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know we already hit on Green Lake in Chsiago County, but I would like to open that snap shot back up and add the trolling lines, especially since I just spent some time out there and I don't think we covered everything...

GreenWalleyeFM2.jpg

As you can see, I added three sets of yellow lines (trolling lines). These can all be used to catch a variety of fish... walleye, pike and bass. You can also use these with several different presentations... crankbaits, lindy rigs, spoons, etc. And depths range from 8-20 feet.

That being said, let's start a discussion on crankbaits and other trolling methods for spots like these. I've done well pulling crankbaits along these spots. Salmo Hornets and Minnows have been my two go-to's out there, but Rapala Shad Raps, Berkley Flicker Shads and Lindy Shandlings will all work too. We've been wavering back and forth between 8-15 feet mostly, but dropping into 15-20 feet can pay off at times too. 1.5-3mph...

Anyone else want to chime in on this one?