• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10th Annual Burntside Bash March 3, 2012

My birthday is 3/4 and I would love to travel up there for a birthday present to myself smile Coupla questions: 1) I don't have a sled or wheeler, just an F-150 4x4. Does anyone have an open seat I could hitch along with (assuming all this snow means trucks won't be a good option for on-lake travel)? 2) What kind of lures/bait should a guy bring?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Stark

• Jim Almquist

• BD110

• PiedmontAngler

My birthday is 3/4 and I would love to travel up there for a birthday present to myself smile Coupla questions: 1) I don't have a sled or wheeler, just an F-150 4x4. Does anyone have an open seat I could hitch along with (assuming all this snow means trucks won't be a good option for on-lake travel)? 2) What kind of lures/bait should a guy bring?

Check out this thread for tons of info on winter lake trout.

You will be able to fish a few places with a truck. My guess is that the guys with shacks out there will keep the roads open.

I 2nd the adventure in. Lived in the upstairs apartments during college and they are good people. As for the bash, I haven't ever went and would like to make it back up to ely. How's fishing at the bash? Ill have my 4 yr old with this weekend, would it be a good environment? Any other young ones end up going? Never fished lakers but wouldn't mind hooking into one

Hey Mark G.

The short answer from me about taking your 4 year old along on your first Laker trip is not something I would do. Someone else may have a different idea then myself but I would not be comfortable telling you it sounds like a great plan. Who knows maybe I'm just to old... (never thought I would be saying that).

Whatever choice you make I wish you the best...

Ok. I shoulda also specified I would be bringing my wheel house. Its that or a trip to lake of the woods.... can't go wrong there

Lake trout fishing on Burntside can be very slow. 2-3 fish in a day for a small group is a good day. If the kid can stay entertained and happy bring em along. Just don't rely on the catching to keep them entertained. smile

Ok. I shoulda also specified I would be bringing my wheel house. Its that or a trip to lake of the woods.... can't go wrong there

Unless you have a plow on the truck, you may have some trouble getting it to many spots.

Go aren't you plowing out the lake for us? Just a few roads to your favorite spots is all we need.

I don't make that mistake anymore!! gringringrin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The way this winter has been I figured we'd have 40 degree days and very little snow on the lake.

With the recent snow and more on the way I decided to get a room instead of staying on the ice. I think I'll be taking a sled up there as well.

Good idea about taking the sled!

I think that will be the only guaranteed method of transportation for the weekend.

Full sized 4x4's and ATV's will be struggling with the new snow and drifting that we got the last few days.

I haven't made up my my mind if I would rather be stuck in my full size pick-up or my 4-wheeler all weekend. Both sound like to much fun!! grin

4-wheeler and trailer are just one more thing to worry about at the motel. Good thing is I still have a couple more day to make up my mind.

No matter what travel I figure out you can bet that someone will make sure I make it back to the gathering, if anything just to get at the pickled Northern and pickled eggs I'll be bringing. whistle

Quote:
No matter what travel I figure out you can bet that someone will make sure I make it back to the gathering, if anything just to get at the pickled Northern and pickled eggs I'll be bringing.

I love that pickled northern.

If it is tough going I'll be staying close to HQ because all I have is a 4X4 truck. I'm bringing my weber and a whole pork loin with buns for pork sandwiches.

I'll be out Friday if anyone is looking for someone to fish with.

I made up 4 quarts of salsa and will bring a variety of dipping chips as well. Well make that 3 quarts the kids got into one. smile

I will have a crock pot full of Calico Beans. I will be hauling up the sled as well.

Mike we will see how things go as far as travel. My brother and his wife are coming as well but if we can drive out part way I can taxi us to a few spots.

A couple trucks were out today. I took the sled. All the roads are plowed. It's not going be easy for trucks out there. It is doable but tough. The buddy system would be the best way to go so if you do get stuck you have someone to pull you out. Bring lots of shovels! smile

I love that pickled northern.

If it is tough going I'll be staying close to HQ because all I have is a 4X4 truck. I'm bringing my weber and a whole pork loin with buns for pork sandwiches.

I'll be out Friday if anyone is looking for someone to fish with.

chaff,

I would love to get some schooling on the whole pork loin you usually make up. I've tried it at home a couple of times but it doesn't seem to turn out as good as yours.

So I'm wondering what would be the most useful thing to bring. It sounds like I should grab our Weber too unless someone else is bringing a grill too. I don't think one will be enough. I can grab another camp table or two also.

I can't promise any cool, gas causing dishes though. wink We've been keeping our menus pretty basic on our trips these days. Heggies pizza, beer and olives in the camper has been the norm. We'll see.

I've been known to run a couple people out to areas on the lake with the sled if needed. Just have your gear tied down well and covered wouldn't hurt. My track throws a lot of snow. I'll be on the ice by daybreak unless something weird happens.

Tracy I will have a small gas grill along that anybody is welcome to use. I will bring paper bowls and plates along with cooking utensils. I have a camp table that I will bring as well.

We didn't get any snow last night and NOAA is now calling for only 1-2in. It is supposed to be windy today but the snow was so wet yesterday that I don't think it will blow around much.

Radar is looking good!!!

I know you guys need the snow but wait till after the Bash

That last snow helped a lot. I don't mind waiting a little bit till the next snow. Don't want too much too fast. That would make a mess of things. smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm in for a couple dozen brauts and buns to share.

Mike and GO thanks for the updates on travel.

If you have a FRS/GMRS radio bring it and we'll use channel 7 with no sub channels.

How does 4PM sound for a meeting time back at HQ, which will be the group surrounding chaffmj's grill? On that note a reminder that if we are able to drive trucks out keep them spread out.

4 sounds good Frank. Only a few flurries up here today and only a 40% chance of snow for tonight. The next couple days are supposed to be warm so the snow might settle a bit. I will be out in the next couple days and will report what I find.

Thinking about coming up for the Bash. I'm wondering what the chances of getting out to Brownell Island with a four-wheeler or Ford F-150?