• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Canvas too Short on New Fish Trap Guides!?

huskminn

Question

Just assembled my new Fish Trap Guide this evening. Low and behold, I ran into the same trouble that a couple of other FM.com members did recently.

The front/bottom pole does not extend to the ground and the canvas does not seal the gap between the ground (ice) and the house.

The canvas is installed precisely according to instruction, but appears to be too short. The front/bottom pole doesn't even touch the ground when all other poles are in their shortest position. The pole is held 6" above the ground when all poles are in their highest position.

I half-way suspected that this might happen, as other people who recently purchased this model ran into the same problem. There are a few other details that come into play here...second and third-hand details, but interesting ones none-the-less.

A new, large sporting goods store in the NW Metro has been trying to order and carry the USL line, but USL apparently has absolutely no Fish Trap Guides in inventory. When I advised this retailer that many other stores currently had this model discounted $60, he was shocked. Why would they be running a sale when there was actually a shortage of inventory?

Trying to dumps some bad Traps and just hope that people don't complain? I know it's black-helicopterish, but something just seems strange here.

So, I'm calling USL on Monday to see what they have to say about this. There is the distinct possibility that there were 4-5 bad models out there and each one of them was purchased by a FM.com member. Unlikely, but possible.

I will post how this turns out, as I think it is important to provide ALL available information in a situation like this.

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• huskminn

• G_man

• Slow Jigger

• irvingdog

Top Posters For This Question

fishinaddict, I may have caught your sarcasm,providing you supplied any.

Are you saying I should be happy with your pole settings? Are you saying YOU are happy with any of YOUR settings? I haven't bought one of these yet.

I'm leaning towards an otter lodge/cabin, but buying a fish trap means I can spend my money locally. What do you HONESTLY recommend? I trust your opinion.

I took my Guide to USL in Plymouth because I work nearby. I talked to their engineer and listened to their side of the story. I told them that I wanted to post good news on this site and make them look good, but they would need to correct my problem and make me happy. The USL engineer is going to talk to 'the boss' this coming week because he was gone on Friday. I told them I expected to hear from them within a week, otherwise, I will post their side of the story, and at this point, I'm not sure you all will like it.

Has anyone had this problem with the Fish Trap Voyager? I'm thinking about getting one. I bought a Guide two years ago and love it. No problem as described here, but then I believe they have changed the design since I bought mine (mine does not have a zippered front or sliding seat). Anyone know if the Voyager has this problem?
Thanks

Neusbaum, Just wanted to tell you that I'm very pleased with the voyager that I have. It's 2 years old. Love the room, Nice to stand up & move around inside. I think you'll like it. I DO. GOOD FISHIN grin.gif DOUG
AND No problem With it. Unlike the Guide. My buddie just bought the Guide & is in the same boat as the rest. FOR that kinda $$. You should'nt have to modify it in any way. These are just my thoughts.

CrappieKiller,
Honestly I'd take a hard look at the other brands out there... If you don't mind the extra weight, the otter may be a good choice. I just like the seating system in the guide better than any other model. You can slide it front and back and it works pretty slick..

The fish trap guide is advertised as adjustable height, etc. but in reality you can only use it with pole settings in the lowest position. I'd sit in it at a store and see if that pole setting will be satisfactory for you because I don't see any way that you can extend all of the poles (unless you want a major draft coming underneath). When you have a gap on the front, you have wind drafts that cool the shack down quite a bit and mess with your heater as well...

I plan to modify mine during the off season most likely unless USL comes up with a solution.

I love the size of the guide and just about everything else about it. The canvas could be darker in my opinion to attract heat from the sun and block more light, but other than that I like it a lot. The fact that you can't use it as intended (with the higher pole settings) is a major flaw in my opinion. I'd look hard at some other brands and compare. I really didn't look at the otter, but from what I hear they are good units... I looked at the trap and Frabill. The trap in my opinion is still better than the frabill. I had a frabill clam style and didn't feel it was the greatest quality.

If your willing to make some modifications to the guide in order to stay loyal to your local market then go for it. I think you will need to add spacers in the back and sides to get enough canvas (where the canvas attaches to the sled). I think if you put a 2"x2" strip under the lip and got some longer bolts you would have plenty of canvas. I'll be listening in and see if USL comes up with anything other than what they offered me, otherwise I'll be modifying in the off-season. hope this helps.. I'm not trying to bash USL, as I do feel they have some of the best products available for ice fishing. I'm just trying to help all of you out so that you don't have to go through the inconvienence that some of us have.

G_man,
I'm very interested in hearing how you come out with your trap. Please keep us posted... I refuse to be without my trap for a week during the short ice fishing season, otherwise I'd do the same... I sold my old unit, otherwise I could have done it..

I still have the box, etc... I'm contemplating returning my unit now, but I don't want to be without a shack for very long is the only problem... I'll see what they do for you first I guess..

neusbaum,
I haven't heard of any issues other than the guide as of yet... I'd test it out at the store before you buy. I didn't notice, but the store model that I looked at didn't have the canvas wrapped under the lip of the sled as it is suppose to be. They had them attached to the top of the lip. So, the store model had plenty of canvas, but would have a draft coming in the backside. I would definitley look at this while your testing them out at the stores.

And I still haven't gotten a reply to my e-mail, which was forwarded by USL's e-mail reader to their ice fishing products head.

S.T., I think that you may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back! smile.gif Hopefully they are taking so long because they are figuring out how to really solve this problem. Or, maybe they just don't want to deal with this. Let us know! ><>
deadeye

It's time to step to the plate, They really should solve this Big problem. I know that it would make alot of people very satisfied.
JUST my 2 cents. GOOD FISHIN

G-man,

I appreciate your efforts here.....I know you are just trying to get your own situation resolved, but this helps all of us.

Your willingness to remain fair and unbiased is commendable. I wouldn't have the patience to give USL a week to come back with the "right" answer, but that's really what does need to be done. No sense in sending a company down the river (especially within the context of this site) without having given them a chance to defend themselves.

Anxiously awaiting news......

Its sad to hear that some people are having problems with their traps. I'm not standing up for any company .. but there are lemons out there, no matter what product your dealing with.

I can see how there could be some problem at the beginning of the production on the fish trap models. I cant say for certain that all fish trap models are designed by other companies, but I know for a fact that at least one is. One of the latest models was in fact purchased from a smaller company, and then reproduced under their own power, while the actual creator recieved a payment for a fair amount of what they had into them with creating the design, etc. Now the company pays the creater royalty checks regularly on the houses that are sold... I know for a fact that the origional houses that I'm familliar with were flawless, but the workmanship was also top quality.

Maybe this isn't a design flaw .. but simply a couple workers in too much of a hurry trying to mass produce these things?

I cant tell you the name of the company that created one of the modern models. I know for a fact he is not allowed to produce anything similar with the model buy out. And also, I wouldn't want to have any thoughts that his products are less than great, because they are, but he takes the time to set each one up, and be sure theres no fine tuning needed. If they need it, he does it.

Does anyone check any other icefishing forums ... I spend enough time here and rarely look anywhere else unless it is through a link.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if any similar threads are being run through at other sites. You'd assume there are ...

G-man,

This site is far and away the most active ice fishing web site in America. While there is a chance that this is being talked about elsewhere, I can gaurantee you that participation in the discussion is best right here at home on FM.com.

I only ask about other sites because I'd like to have a few more bullets for the smokin' gun that is our argument.

was told about this site Sat and about this thread so I checked it out and BINGO seems to be the same problem we're having well we got ours to lay out a little flatter after some re riging but theres a problem with the trap no doubt as I posted it on the go fish and another guy said the same thing about his so heres at least 2 smoking bulletts in Ohio,I'll be keeping my eye on this thread thats for sure

[This message has been edited by dirt track fisherman (edited 01-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dirt track fisherman (edited 01-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 01-27-2003).]

Count me in for the same problem. I think it's a design flaw. If there was snow on the ice it would be less of a problem. Maybe the canvas stretches, but I will never know because I leave the poles in the shortest position. I really like the overall design(sliding seats, removable seats, pouches, etc.), but they seem to have blown the tarp size. I may sew some chain to the bottom flap to help keep it down. If they do admit a problem, they should give everyone a new canvas. Overall I am really happy with it. The otter just doesn't fit in my Jeep and is heavier.

Whats USL's e-mail address. They don't list it on there Web Site. I just bought a guide and I'm in the same boat. It dosen't seem to be as bad as some of the ones on this post but it still won't lay right. I was thinking of sending them a link to this post.

Talk about a brain fart! I read this post early on and still made a purchase of the trap guide.

I used it once and realized the problem on the ice! I just hope USL comes through on this one, if not Gander Mountain will be getting it back real quick! I have a Devils lake trip in two weeks and a new flip style was the plan.

Slow Jigger,

Don't sweat it.....I read about this problem before I purchased my new Fish Trap Guide, too. I assumed that whatever problem the other guys had wouldn't show up on my new house.

If you have read this thread, you know how that worked out for me!

huskminn-

I know how you handled it, so returning the house is not all that tough, the main issue would be getting a new one that i like before my big trip mid february.

Drop me an email I would like to hear details on where you went for your shack....

[email protected]

I need to eat some of my words. I just got off the phone and a replacement is on its way!!!! Hopefully this fix will take care of it!!!!

Very helpful customer service so far.....

[This message has been edited by Slow Jigger (edited 01-29-2003).]

O.K. lets be fair to USL here. I made a copy of my reciept, mailed it to them, called their customer service, and they quickly sent me a new tent. I'm going to return the deffective one to them provided the replacement works correctly. They've seemed to handle this well on my end, and they will get my money again some day.

Irvingdog.... The jury is still out but once I did get a hold of someone they were very, VERY helpful. Talked to someone yesterday and said a new one was on the way so I must say I can't wait to get it.

Hopefully if the product is as good as I believe it will be plenty of years before I need to purchase another. USL/Clam will be on the short list.....

USL has been great to me from my experiences with them Paul Fabian and Sue took care of my problem and I appreciated the quick service.
This was my situation:
A few years back I bought a Fish Trap Deluxe which is close to the same dimensions as the fish trap pro. The first year I used it I had many pin holes in the poly cotton cover and the edges of the sewed seams were un raveling in a couple of spots, also the trap base in both rear corners where the molded ski's were had smalll holes. Called and talked to Paul and immediately I received a new ice armo cover and sled base. I had to modify my poles slightly to accept the new ice armor cover and before my new fish trap base hit the ice I purchased and mounted kid's downhill ski's and mounted them on top of the molded runners. 3 years thus far and the trap has been absolutely flawless. To lighten the load I removed the bench seat and all the framing and use a 40 qt cooler as a dry storage area and duct tape foam padding on the top of the cooler for a seat. Works great and lightens up the trap quite a bit.
USL's customer service was fast and efficient, what else can you ask for.

I am glad a couple of you have experienced the level of service that you have. I wish the people I had talked to at USL treated me the same way.

Let's see if those new tents fit your sleds, guys. For your sake (and USL's), I hope they do.

Keep us posted.

Just wanted to say I have had the same problem as the rest of you with the canvas being to short.I called USL today and a new one is on the way.Now thats customer service, and a company that I have purchased products from in the past and will again.I agree that this should not have made it out of there factory this way but I also understand that being in the customer products venue that this can happen.The good mark of a great company is to stand by there product as USL has.Great job! smile.gif