• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Troy Smutka

West Metro - Minnetonka, Waconia, Prior Lake Fishing Reports by Great Day on the Water Guide Service

Troy Smutka

7/5/17     Got out on Tonka the day after the fourth. Garbage everywhere at the landing and quite a bit in the lake. Sad. Picked up a bunch and disposed of properly. Caught eight nice largemouth, all about16 to 18 inches, and at least fifteen pike from one to three pounds. Also had an upper 40's muskie hooked up for about a minute, but got rolled up in the too-light line on his second jump and sliced it off shortly after. Clouds and showers over us had fish up in the mid-depth weeds on a couple reefs we tried before it got HOT and HUMID and we called it a morning. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01df2e8c08cdd7f47ec2395f7d24232aa9763e4473.jpg

01f33515490cc1d3ab1117da1602ff29c7f798fabc.jpg

016cefc841b9d61d2fa787c19020eac7e6b0bafd2b.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

7/14/17   Fished Tonka with my Dad and son this morning. Buzzed 1/2 ounce bass spinnerbaits and 1 ounce muskie spinnerbaits over weedy shelves on reefs in eight to fourteen feet of water with quick access to deeper water. Caught a bunch of bass and pike--no muskies this morning. My son got his biggest pike and one of his biggest bass. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01bf71780a295fb845a780ff2cbec78e1e785e4d1d.jpg

0143a1590e4151f97928cc4e86b36896823f2d85f5.jpg

• Like 2

Troy Smutka

8/10/17     Guided two guys for muskies on Waconia this morning. Got lucky with the weather and got our trip in before the rain showed up. Didn't put a muskie in the boat, but had one on briefly, and had another follow. Also caught four pike, including a ten and twelve pounder, and eleven largemouth up to 18.5 inches. One ounce tandem spinnerbaits, both bucktails and rubber skirts, were the baits. Ran them over and through weeds in four to eleven feet of water. Great company and conversation--a great day on the water. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.

0178f7e8aebe26a462b96b2fa8920f70d6c1f15a10.jpg

018a85693685bd28852d162d10ae6f7488dc3aeda3.jpg

01189609a574a06ef1cd8b9fedeb406fd23f753c23.jpg

• Like 1

Rick
17 hours ago, Troy Smutka said:

8/10/17     Guided two guys for muskies on Waconia this morning. Got lucky with the weather and got our trip in before the rain showed up. Didn't put a muskie in the boat, but had one on briefly, and had another follow. Also caught four pike, including a ten and twelve pounder, and eleven largemouth up to 18.5 inches. One ounce tandem spinnerbaits, both bucktails and rubber skirts, were the baits. Ran them over and through weeds in four to eleven feet of water. Great company and conversation--a great day on the water. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.

0178f7e8aebe26a462b96b2fa8920f70d6c1f15a10.jpg

018a85693685bd28852d162d10ae6f7488dc3aeda3.jpg

01189609a574a06ef1cd8b9fedeb406fd23f753c23.jpg

Thanks for the report Troy .... looks like fun. :) 

Troy Smutka

9/1/17     Got out on Waconia this morning. Fished large (1 ounce) spinnerbaits, both hair and rubber skirts, over weeds near rocks from five to eleven feet of water. No muskies showed themselves this morning, but did catch eight bass all about the same size, and a couple identical pike. Finished up slow rolling jig spinners with Powerbait minnows over and around a weedy reef for crappies. Caught about twenty nice-sized crappies before calling it a morning. My boat may be headed down the road on Sunday. If so, this will probably be my last open-water report. I will begin doing waterfowl hunting reports on the ducks and geese hunting forum at the end of the month, and will be back on this forum as well as the Hutchinson and Mille Lacs forums once there is enough ice to head out on the lake. Great fall fishing to everyone--football and hunting take up my spare time for a while now. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

0142a19b97c4fb5b0362c49ab010fe7b4ea8265e39.jpg

017620cf5b4939e933381b7910fcbc5090bf0a544d.jpg

01673b577d0fdac5398ea9ea654799e2ab00ea2d6b.jpg

01c337459bb14c10969ce64488d7da05a854fc5345.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

12/18/17     First Ice Fishing Report of the Season!

Ice conditions are still varied on the larger metro area lakes, so we headed out onto a small, farm country lake just west of the metro. Consistent 5-6 inche of good, clear ice with almost no snow on top. Targeted pike with jigging spoons and soft plastics, and with tipups with live suckers along the weed edge, in eight to nine feet of water. Caught several nice pike. Hoping to get out next weekend before the big chill hits. Good news is, should make plenty of good ice starting on Christmas Day if the forecast holds up. Good luck, be safe on the ice, and I will see you out there somewhere.

0197859c4ec2ee398702be88e117bb6938280f5d2f.jpg

01947bd0f64c714cde41c5f0b40f31592055f302c4.jpg

• Like 2

Troy Smutka

12/28/17     West Metro

Panfish are starting to bite on metro area lakes. The cold snap is thickening up the ice quickly, and many sunfish and crappies are moving to deep holes adjacent to shallower points and reefs. We caught some nice sunfish and even a couple bass in 21 feet of water on small Tungsten Tubbies tipped with waxies and red Eurolarvae. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01b6de7bbe9b6012be3371fa9777025837229a58a0.jpg

013adda753ab5a8f424119277cac345fe5ffc631dc.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

1/14/18     Tried the night crappie bite on a small west metro area lake last night. Crappies on the flasher from 4:30 until we left at 7 pm. Still down there when we had to leave. Caught between 40 and 50. A few small ones, but most were from 8 to 10 inches. Kept ten from 9-10 inches for a meal. Hot and cold bite periods during the evening, but fish down there the whole time. Caught one on a crappie minnow under a float, but most were on small Tungsten Tubby jigs tipped with a single wax worm, or a small VMC spoon tipped with a waxie hooked horizontally on two of the hooks of the treble. Dark, cold, and my battery was drained on my phone so no pics. Twenty inches of good ice and not much snow, so easy driving but tough (slippery) walking. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

Troy Smutka

1/28/18     Hit a west metro lake Saturday morning for sunfish. Fished a deep hole near a shallow reef. Tons of sunfish of all sizes visible on the flashers and camera all morning, but the best bite was the first hour after sunrise. After that, only an occasional bite, but the ones that bit were the largest ones. Most of the sunnies we caught were from 8 to 8.5 inches with a couple around 9. Tiny Gill Pills in white or orange/chartreuse tipped with two red Eurolarvae caught the most fish, We were in 21 feet of water. Twenty-four inches of ice, but a fair amount of snow on top from the last storm. Had to be careful venturing too far from plowed roads. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01b04b7b5666e16e9b7c5e60f777b572b7738a76f4.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

2/4/18     Got out on a small west metro lake for the night crappie bite last night. Crappies were suspended and biting the second we got our lines down at about 4:30. Caught 40-50 crappies by the time we had to leave at 7 pm. Also caught a couple nice sunfish. The crappies were mostly around nine inches with a few larger and a few smaller. Small VMC spoons in glow colors tipped with one waxie horizontally across two hooks of the treble or two red Eurolarvae hooked in the middle on two of the hooks both hammered fish. 2 lb test Vanish fluorocarbon on an inline ice reel on an ultralight St. Croix Legend Black with a strike indicator rounded out the rig. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01e94c593e7c18481fef538ec55329c9934b6af238.jpg

01587eb395f326c84ffcef48fe6fdf74b7bad6a349.jpg

• Like 2

IceHawk

Nice job Troy love the detailed report

Troy Smutka

2/11/18     Fished Waconia Saturday morning from 7 to 11 am. Caught a couple nice crappies right away, and then the sunfish took over. Caught fifty or sixty sunfish. About half were 8 inches or slightly over. Most of the rest were between 7 and 8 inches with a few potato chips. We were fishing a shelf next to a deeper basin area. We were in about twelve feet of water, not far from 21 feet. Two to three feet of weeds on the bottom, so we fished just above the weeds and the sunfish steadily rose up from the weeds to look at our baits. A small VMC Tungsten Tubby or Custom Jigs and Spins Gill Pill both worked--pink and white or chartreuse and orange were the best colors. One waxie or two red Eurolarvae on these jigs both triggered strikes. Two pound test Vanish fluorocarbon on a St. Croix Legend Black Ice Rod, 24" Ultralight, with a Cold Gear Ice inline ice reel. The strike indicator on the St. Croix was necessary sometimes to detect very light strikes. We recorded an episode of "Fishing and Hunting the North Country" for my You Tube channel. Look for the episode late this week. Twenty-eight inches of ice and not much snow where we were. Get out and enjoy the warm-up with some ice fishing for sunnies and crappies. I have some openings if you need some help. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

012f5985053ca48ec4279e6c66b2d705dc54dc6fa7.jpg

010041ebe6dec0f64810e38c238ad08329734ea11f.jpg

01b0c3971342369608ef004a6d52bd1f1c4dc4b36b.jpg

• Like 3

Troy Smutka

2/18/18     Got out on an area lake an hour before sunrise Saturday. Got a bunch of crappies until they slowed about 9 am. Most between 9.5 and 11 inches. Sunfish started biting about sunrise and bit all morning. Half of them were 8 to 8.5 inches. Most of the rest were 7 to 7.5 inches. Kept two meals of fish--released the rest. 1/32 ounce VMC Tungsten Tubbies tipped with a single wax worm or two red Eurolarvae fished just above some weeds in thirteen feet of water caught fish after fish. Lots of good ice on area lakes. Even though walleyes and pike close in just over a week and wheel houses can't stay out unattended soon, still a lot of good ice fishing for panfish to come. Will have plenty of ice for a while, so get out and enjoy the peace and quiet and fast crappie and sunfish action that March will bring. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

0110f1d54320f5de3248d7b9ef3bdf540b7c34f3e9.jpg

01fa6542b6546e7433bc7d28ccbe38f1c637132ebe.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

2/24/18     Got out on a west Metro lake Friday evening for the night crappie bite. Caught some nice sunfish before sunset and then the crappies started. Not keeping any, but caught several sunfish in the 8" range and 30-40 crappies, mostly 10-11 inches, by 8 pm when we had to leave. Most of the sunnies were pulled up out of the three feet of weeds on the bottom--most of the crappies moved through well above the weeds. Sunnies and most of the crappies came on 1/32 ounce VMC Tungsten Tubbies tipped with a single wax worm or two red Eurolarvae. A few crappies grabbed a crappie minnow suspended under a float on a deadstick. Still plenty of ice--will be for a while--so get out and enjoy this great panfishing even after walleyes and pike close and the wheel houses come off. I have a few available dates left if you need some help. Shout out to all who were at the R&R Marine Open House today. Great questions for our fishing roundtable, hope we were of some help. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01bd4b50a3da04d4dc6ee662b830a37b662cb4827e.jpg

01ed6525db74afc65c0bcc01dde2421a45518d8f4b.jpg

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

Memorial Weekend, 2018

Got out in the west Metro and Hutchinson areas this weekend. Targeted bass, caught largemouth, smallmouth, pike, crappies, and sunfish. Various lures worked in similar locations. Join and check out the Fishing Reports Club in the Home Page Top Menu for more in-depth reports and photos. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

6/22/18     West Metro

Water temp is in the 70's and sunfish are up on the beds. Look for harder bottom areas inside of or adjacent to softer bottom with weeds. The smaller females will be staging over the weeds--you may see them boiling--and the big bulls will be guarding the nests (beds) on the firmer bottom. Got my son and Dad out to catch a bunch this morning.  Ultralight 7' spinning rods/reels with four pound test Berkley Nanofil works great to cast to these bedding fish from a distance and get a good hook set. We use a 1/16 ounce VMC Mooneye Jig tipped with a 1" to 1.5" soft plastic (minnow, grub, tube, etc.) under a slip float to adjust for beds at different depths. Usually you will be targeting 2-8 feet of water, depending on water clarity. Take care not to keep everything you catch. It is fine to keep a fresh meal once in a while--sunfish is awfully tasty--but put plenty of fish, including the biggest bulls, back. Needed to keep the natural cycle of reproduction going. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_E2950.JPG

IMG_E2947.JPG

IMG_E2948.JPG

• Like 1

Troy Smutka

6/23/18     Guided on Waconia on Saturday. Clients from Iowa looking for walleyes, northerns, and maybe a musky. No musky, but did catch walleyes, northerns, bass, and crappies, including some big ones. Fished inside weed edges in 7-10 feet of water using crankbaits, bucktails, jerkbaits, and jig spinners. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_E2952.JPG

IMG_E2953.JPG

IMG_E2954.JPG

• Like 4

Rick

Nice.

Troy Smutka

7/24/18     Had a crappie fishing trip on Waconia this week. Got out in the afternoon and my client and I caught 50-60 crappies and maybe twenty bluegills. Slow rolling jig spinners tipped with soft plastic minnows and grubs around a weedy reef caught both crappies and sunnies. Good fishing, good conversation, good day. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_E3128.JPG

IMG_E3130.JPG

• Like 1