• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

Worst completion percentage beyond 15 yards and not a fit for Norv Turner's system at all.

Another 1st round disater by Spielman.

Vikings will win 1 game this year if they are lucky.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

I think the Barr pick will end up being a good one in the end...I'm not down on him as much as everybody else is. I was disappointed in them not taking Manziel at #8 as much as anything.

Teddy B might be the one who finally works out here...crapshoot with all of them. Glad they pulled the trigger on one of the top guys at least....

Barr has potential, but the Bridgewater pick [PoorWordUsage] me off. He is garbage, I never understood why he was predicted a high pick even before his shotty pro day. Just look at that throwing motion, looks like a little kid trying to throw a football he can barely fit in his hands.

Barr has potential, but the Bridgewater pick [PoorWordUsage] me off. He is garbage, I never understood why he was predicted a high pick even before his shotty pro day. Just look at that throwing motion, looks like a little kid trying to throw a football he can barely fit in his hands.

Bridgewater improved every season. He was #2 in the country with a 71 completion percentage and 31 touchdowns against 4 interceptions. So I don't know, he is everything the Vikings need? Enough arm to get the ball downfield, but completes a very high number of shorter passes and doesn't turn the ball over.

And all of that is with mechanics that can yet be improved. Clearly he is smart with where he goes with the football (whereas Manziel is borderline boneheaded in this department). Manziel needs a ton of mechanics work too, so it's not like you are getting anything better than Bridgewater there.

I didn't want anything to do with Bustwater. Terrible move to trade back up to get him. Once again Spielman has proven he has no idea what a real QB looks like.

I think Barr can be a good player. Hopefully Zimmer can mold him into a baller. The guy is a freak athlete for a LB, thats for sure.

Vikings timed Barr in the mid 4.4's at his pro-day. He was noticeably faster in the 3-cone and shuttle than any of the other edge rushers/OLB'ers in this class...turning in better #'s then many CB's.

His career stats are better in sacks, TFL, fumbles forced and recovered than that of both Clowney OR Mack. He's only played defense for two years...upside, I think so.

Why is everyone so down on this pick??

We picked the wrong guy from UCLA, Myles Jack is the stud horse there. Zep, Hopefully those are facts and he's just that raw of an athlete. Zimmer could make him a player. We did need a ton of help at LB.

Those are the facts and he is still considered somewhat "raw"...that's what should make people excited about this guy.

I heard Spielman say that he's a day 1 starter opposite Greenway and a 3 down guy...exactly what we needed on defense.

This was as much of a Zimmer pick as it was Spielmans...I think it's a great way to start their relationship moving forward.

On another note...I think Teddy Bridgewater was Norv's pick all along. Teddy spent 4...let me repeat that, 4 days at Winter Park just a few weeks ago. That just doesn't happen if he's not YOUR guy. They know everything about him including what color underwear he wears on Tuesdays.

Reports coming out that the Vikes tried trading up with the Eagles to take Manziel...others say it was for Teddy. I don't think we'll ever know....it doesn't matter now. You can bet that the Houston Texans are NOT very happy with the Vikings right now.

At the very least, I think Spielman did everything he could to accomodate BOTH of his coordinators in the 1st round of this years draft.

I like that.

Lots of 1st rounders accumulating on this roster right now...hope they can turn them in to something special in the coming years!!

I don't mind the Barr pick, he's a speed rusher and relentless. He's fast as they come at the position, he hits hard, and he don't give up. I think with some Zimmer training and schemes this guy can do some damage. I can see other guys taking on the blocks and Barr running free at the QB, kinda like what they do for Clay over in Fudge land. I'm sure he's a Zimmer guy and I can't doubt him and his defenses he's assembled. (they say he's a "Jason Taylor clone", sure looks like him.)

Teddy I'm up in the air on, I don't really like the pick personally. I would of rather just waited and seen who was left in the 2nd at QB.

Teddy is a strange ordeal, last year during the season all you heard was "play dead for Ted" and how he was the best most polished QB coming out this year. Even right up to Combine and the Pro Days he was touted as the best NFL ready QB, then some mediocre workouts make him fall.

Norv claims that he really wasn't that bad and I heard Spielman say after Norv personally worked him out they had already improved a lot of his prior Pro Day mistakes in just a few days.

We might not even start Teddy for a year or two, I think they are content with Cassel for now unless an injury happens and Teddy takes over and never looks back......I personally think he will be a choke artist though, hope I'm wrong lol.

I am not at all a fan of Paul Allen, but apparently before any word of the Vikings failed attempt to trade up for JF, he told his KFAN pals that the Vikings were going to trade up for Bridgewater. Looks like Teddy could have been their guy all along.

Consensus among those grading the draft is that the Vikings did pretty well last night. Only time to tell.

I am not a die hard football fan, but I have to admit that watching those Manziel lovers squirm last night was pretty entertaining.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Barr is going to be a monster. He's raw and if he wasn't, no way we get him with the 9th pick. Polish him up and you have a top 5 pick. I think Zimmer can handle that.

We did need a LB worse than we needed a CB. I can't believe DrJuice who believes a LB will take us to the promised land isn't loving this guy instead of hating on him. laugh

As for Bridgewater his Pro day or the times when he has time to think and feeling pressure before throwing shows he needs to be in the zone and passing on instinct to be accurate. Until he learns to do that we're going to see a some gimmees sprayed all over the field. I hope they work it out of him and teach him how to be in the zone or he will be a choke artist.

On the other hand if he fixes it we have a nice QB to develop.

I am not at all a fan of Paul Allen, but apparently before any word of the Vikings failed attempt to trade up for JF, he told his KFAN pals that the Vikings were going to trade up for Bridgewater. Looks like Teddy could have been their guy all along.
He also predicted the vikings would pick up Barr with their first pick. He must have had some intel there.

Apparently they spent 4 days with Bridgewater and were able to eliminate some of the issues in a day that he had at the Pro Day. If that is true, that's a good sign. I admit I am not ecstatic about the pick, but at 32 am willing to see it all play out. Had the Vikes taken him (or another QB) at #8 (or 9) then I would want some production out of them this year. Thankfully they didnt do that.

The concerning thing for me though with Bridgewater is there are reports now that he has a irregular heart beat, get this, it was discovered by the Vikings in their workouts. ???? Maybe not a big deal because it did get overlooked in all the other work outs, but still a bit concerning.

Im not hating the Barr pick as much, Im just salty about letting Gilbert slip through are hands. Cant argue the need, those pac 10/12 LBs are usually pretty good. Hope he works out.

Still puke in my mouth about the Teddy pick. Hopefully Norv has some sort of double or triple TE set because those TE pop passes and quick TE routes are all he's good for. There just seemed to be more out there and we gave up a 2nd and a 4th. That 4th rounder couldve been an O-lineman we need so badly (Shantrel Henderson).

Seantrel Henderson probably won't even get drafted. Between his mediocre play and testing positive for pot at the draft (as well as multiple times in college) he most likely will go undrafted and sign somewhere as a free agent.

That size wont become undrafted. He'll get picked up. Heck, bring him home to MN and plug him in at guard.

I still don't like Bridgewater as an NFL QB, and imo he doesn't have a strong enough arm.(like ponder) But I'm starting to come around to the pick.... We got him at 32, which is basically a second rounder. I think its worth a shot to take a chance on him and hope he pans out. I don't think its gonna work out in the end but its worth a shot. He was a consensus top 3 QB in this draft so lets take a chance. Especially after only giving up a 4th rounder to get him. (No way we would have gotten him with our 2nd rd pick)

Vikes still have 2 3rd rd picks and 2 5ths. Wouldn't be surprised if spielman trades back up into the second today for either a CB or LB

Im not hating the Barr pick as much, Im just salty about letting Gilbert slip through are hands. Cant argue the need, those pac 10/12 LBs are usually pretty good. Hope he works out.

Still puke in my mouth about the Teddy pick. Hopefully Norv has some sort of double or triple TE set because those TE pop passes and quick TE routes are all he's good for. There just seemed to be more out there and we gave up a 2nd and a 4th. That 4th rounder couldve been an O-lineman we need so badly (Shantrel Henderson).

That entire post was the most ridiculous thing I've read since...ever.

There just seemed to be more out there and we gave up a 2nd and a 4th. That 4th rounder couldve been an O-lineman we need so badly (Shantrel Henderson).
We gave up a 4th round pick to move up 8 spots. We didnt lose the 2nd round pick, it became a 1st rounder.

Im not convinced that Teddy will be a superstar, but at 32 I think its worth a shot. He most likely wouldnt have been there at 40 if he is the guy they really wanted so it was worth trading up.

not hating picks at all and glad they didnt reach for qb with first pick once bortles was selected. ab can carry clipboard this year for cassel and learn. hopefully many defensive picks upcoming Iin next rounds.

Well, now that the damage has been done we need to hope they get back on track tonight.

We need a pass catching RB and a LG in that order.

Well,

At least Vikings fans have the next year to be all happy about getting yet another franchise QB before the reality sets in that they just drafted the next one in a growing list of failed projects. Maybe when they draft the next one after the stadium opens they will get lucky and take a good one.

Something to "Ponder":

Career stats of 2 recent Louisville QB's.

Comp Att Comp % Yds Y/A AY/A TD INT Rate

781 1142 68.4 9817 8.6 8.9 72 24 157.2

780 1185 65.8 10775 9.1 9.4 71 24 157.9

One was Brian Brohm. A QB who was projected after his Junior year to be the 1st QB taken in the draft the next year.

One was Teddy Bridgewater. A QB who was projected after his Junior year to be the 1st QB taken in the draft the next year.

So then never draft a quarterback from Louisville who was projected to be the number 1 pick after his junior year?

So then never draft a quarterback from Louisville who was projected to be the number 1 pick after his junior year?

Hard to say. I am just looking for someone to explain how his stats were used to show how good of a QB he will be and yet they are nearly identical to a total bust from a few years back.