• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

nofishfisherman- It all went over your head and under your feet. News flash, we are rebuilding right now. The team is being dismantled and put back together as we speak. You honestly believe that our Cover 2 is going to be awesome this year so our fans won't be impatient LMMFAO.

Where have i ever said I supported the cover 2? If you look back at my posts i've been advocating the entire time for overhauling the secondary. Both players and the cover 2 need to be reevaluated since whatever they have been doing wasn't working.

All I've ever said is that the secondary is the main issue and should be the area we address. For some reason you keep throwing in the fact we'd also need to change to the 3-4 as well. The two things are totally separate issues. I'm not sure what posts you have been reading but you certainly haven't been reading mine very closely.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

It's all good man, Yiggin mentioned our Cover 2 scheme is broke. I agreed and said I wish we ran the 3-4. You came in to tell me 3-4 has nothing to do with Cover 2 which I obviously knew and that's also why I want to switch to it lol, then you asked me why I would want to take our stud defender away from what he does best. Which I tried to tell you my reasoning.

I understand Jared is the best 4-3 pass rushing DE in the game, I was calling the for the Jared Allen trade on this site before most people even knew who he was. Pretty much no one wanted to trade for him because they thought it was to much and he had past drinking problems.

I think he'd be a probowler no matter where you put him, who's to say what he could do coming off the edge unblocked.

It isn't the end of the world to switch schemes, you use your same players you just give them different assignments and then you build from there just like your always trying to do anyway.

This is the boring part of the season, as you can tell we are discussing defensive schemes. The Cover 2 will pretty much be set in stone while Leslie is here.

I'd love to run a 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid, offensive teams would never know what your up to.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Green Bay's defense is way better now with the 3-4 then they were before, but with your guys logic they should of never switched because that made Kampman no good.
I believe they had one of the worst defenses in the entire NFL last year with their 3-4.

It's more about the talent you have in whichever scheme you choose to run.

It was a Cover 2 scheme that won the Super Bowl last year. smile

So, you're now saying you brought up how good the Cover 2 was last year AFTER you were telling us how dominant the 3-4 was over Cover 2?

Show us where you said that, please FG?. lol

I think he was just saying that the rest of us have already brought up all the logical reasons why the 3-4 doesn't make any sense for the Vikings.

I'm not sure anyone said the 3-4 was better than cover 2 because its an apples to oranges comparision. They are two different things and in theory could be run at the same time.

Green Bay has been winning so many games because their offense is scoring and scoring, while the other team's offense isn't as potent. All they really need is a couple stops from their defense per game. Look at the playoffs, soon as they played a defense that stopped their offense, THEY LOST! Every defense looks good when the offense is putting up 30+ points per game and the other team is pretty much throwing on every down. Was the same way with the Vikings when Moss was a rookie and someone missed their first field goal in the NFC Championship game. The Packers time is coming to an end shortly, wait and see. Teams are going to start figuring out their passing game and shutting it down. They have no running game to speak of. Teams are going to start playing 6 DB's on every down. Doesn't matter if the Vikings play a 4-3 or 3-4....if they don't have the quality players to cover the receivers, we are in the same spot as last year and arguing about who we should pick withe our top 5 draft choice.

So, you're now saying you brought up how good the Cover 2 was last year AFTER you were telling us how dominant the 3-4 was over Cover 2?

Show us where you said that, please FG?. lol

Come on you Junksonite why don't you just read it's all written down lol?

Your quick to quote one sentence but don't read the rest of the thread where it's all explained. Your post was everything we already talked about for the past couple pages.

I said I wish the Vikings would switch to the 3-4 instead of running the Cover 2.

I said the the reason the Giants Cover 2 works for them is because they have one of the best front 4 in football. Then people brought in stats to try and prove the Giants don't have one of the best front 4 in football.

When you find a line better then Tuck, Osi, Pierre Paul, ect, let me know. Even their backups could be starters.

I said that Green Bay's defense is better now then it was before they switched to the 3-4. Last year they had a bad year, the two years before that they were ranked one of the best with the 3-4 where they were ranked in the 20's before switching for you stat munchers.

LOL, now your just being silly.

You don't drop Allen into coverage when you play the 3-4, you give him free range to attack the QB every play without taking on 2-3 players before he gets there.

Sounds like the 43 but we are pretending its the 34 , sneeky winkwinkgrin

I said I wish the Vikings would switch to the 3-4 instead of running the Cover 2.

I get that you don't want to play cover 2 but its seems like you want to replace the cover 2 with the 3-4. The problem with that is that you can't replace the cover 2 with the 3-4. They deal with 2 completely separate parts of the defense. You can switch from 4-3 to 3-4 but the cover 2 is a totally separate scheme.

If you switch from cover 2 what defense alignment do you want the secondary to run?

What do you mean you can't replace the Cover 2 with the 3-4? You most certainly can.

All the Cover 2 is you drop 7 men into zones and try to get pressure on the QB with only your front 4. It's a boring and easy to read base coverage that gets ripped to shreds unless you have constant pressure with your front 4.

Running a 3-4 doesn't mean you are getting rid of the cover 2, both can exist on the same field at the same time.

The cover 2 basically dicates what your 2 safties are going to do and what your 2 corners are going to do. The 3-4 doesn't dictate responsibility of either of those positions so if you switch to the 3-4 you'd still need a pass coverage scheme which could still be the cover 2.

Yes you can run a Cover 2 out of a 3-4 or a 4-3, we run ours out of a 4-3 Tampa 2 which sucks IMO. Most teams don't run Cover 2 out of a 3-4, you can call the play but not like it's your main package like it is for us.

Like I said I wish we would just drop the Cover 2 all together and run a 3-4 defense. I'd like to see more Cover 0 and Cover 1, or a strong Cover 6. More blitzing not so easy for the opposing QB to read.

We mainly run a Cover 2 and Cover 3 out of the Tampa 2. We rarely blitz any LB's, CB's, or Safeties. We drop back into our zones and hope the front 4 can get there quick, if they can't we get exposed which you see all the time.

This is an example of what we run. http://footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

• 2 months later...

Quote:
Vikings rookie Greg Childs likely out for year with two knee injuries

MANKATO, Minn. -- Greg Childs screamed in pain as he hit the ground and left the field on a cart after suffering what two NFL sources said late Saturday night were believed to be significant injuries to both of his knees.

An MRI was not complete as of midnight, hours after the rookie receiver was injured on the penultimate play of the Minnesota Vikings' annual night practice at Blakeslee Stadium.

But sources said Childs' knees were swollen and the worst-case scenario was he might have ligament damage in addition to tearing both of his patella tendons -- the same injury he suffered to one of his knees as a junior at the University of Arkansas in 2010.

[quote name='Rotoworld

Minnesota Vikings

4. Matt Kalil' date=' tackle, USC.

29. Harrison Smith, safety, Notre Dame.

66. Josh Robinson, cornerback, UCF.

118. Jarius Wright, receiver, Arkansas.

128. Rhett Ellison, fullback, USC.

134. Greg Childs, receiver, Arkansas.

139. Robert Blanton, cornerback, Notre Dame.

175. Blair White, kicker, Georgia.

210. Audie Cole, linebacker, N.C. State.

219. Trevor Guyton, defensive tackle, California.

Overview: Minnesota acquired fourth-, fifth-, and seventh-round picks "for free" when it moved down one spot in Thursday's Trent Richardson trade. The Vikings then sent Nos. 35 and 98 to Baltimore to draft Smith with the 29th pick. GM Rick Spielman picked up 2013 fourth- and sixth-rounders in deals later on. While accumulating selections is always a plus, and the Vikings made the right call on Kalil over Claiborne, a majority of the other players acquired have too many question marks for comfort. Smith is really an in-the-box safety, and those are rarely worth first-round draft picks. Childs may never be right after a 2010 patella tendon tear. Wright, Robinson, and Kalil were the class of this haul. Beyond Kalil and perhaps Smith, however, the Vikings didn't get a single surefire year-one difference maker. Spielman could have used his picks better.

Grade: C+

[/quote']

Looks like Rotoworld wasn't too far off.

All the ammo we had and like donkeys we did try to move up into the second round again and get a true year one difference maker. Instead we settle for a couple maybe prospects. Just goes to show how bad the queens scouting dept is. They have no ability to find true talent so they tried to get lucky by picking numbers.

All that aside, what a terrible way to likely end your pro career, before it even had a chance to take off. Sad

I remember hearing from a lot of rubes that since we drafted Kalil we won't need to worry about WR's because of all the extra time the QB will have in the pocket. Actually I even had someone say that Kalil will make the defense better.

So we should have no worries.

All that aside, what a terrible way to likely end your pro career, before it even had a chance to take off. Sad

Some would say it ended the day he was drafted by the Vikings.

Meh, it was a 4th round pick... who did you think we were gonna get besides another shot in the dark?

Meh, it was a 4th round pick... who did you think we were gonna get besides another shot in the dark?

A few options that are attractive and prob would have been better picks, regardless of the injury:

Tahir Whitehead, LB taken a few picks after, reportedly looking great in Lions camp.

Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina

Marvin McNutt, WR Iowa

Jonte Green, CB, New Mexico (looking very promising in Lions camp)

Every pick besides the first rd is a "shot in the dark" for spielman, studwell and company.

• 1 year later...

I just have to revive this old post.

Lmitout clamoring for the Vikings to take RG3, Pierbridge thinking Blackmon would be the savior of the franchise. How is he working out for Jacksonville Pier?? Couple of you telling me that I was nuts that we couldnt get Clevland to trade from 3 to 4 and give up a bunch.

Kalil turned out to be a great pick.

Blackmon and Claiborne like many of you wanted suck.

And as predicted by yours truly Washington gave up the franchise to move up for RG3.

Because after finally finding something where he WAS right about something TWO years ago he's a happy boy grin

Throw enough mud and your bound to get something that will stick. laugh

And he's definitely thrown enough mud.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then smile

Just a few of our own BuckS's brilliant football mind observations..picked out from his posts in about 2 minutes...

when they Vikes pick they will be taking them and dealing Allen on draft day. He is going to be a FA so they will try to deal him and get something for him this year.

And the Vikes are smart enough not to let it out to the public that they are trying to deal this rube. You guys with the man crushes would be POed if your favorite flytrap left.

Originally Posted By: BuckSutherland
I will be PO'd if we trade up and reach for Austin or Patterson. Lots of head games being played I think.

Originally Posted By: BuckSutherland
Here is what I think will happen this week.

Round 1.

We are gonna take Teo if he is there at #23. Chicago may decide to take him in front of us though. If he is gone we take either Sheldon Richardson (he will be gone) or Sylvester Williams.

LOL,

and I was right all along. They should have traded Allen, even if all they could have gotten was a couple happy meals. Some of you are so blind to see how his cap hit crushed this franchise last year. Sure would have been nice to Winfield back last year, but nope, they slob hogged up all the cap. With that same money this year they signed Joesph, Griffen, and the Captain.

And when talking about trading up for Patterson, that was to move up early in the first with one of our two picks. Not for coming back later in the first and getting him, but nice try Rick.

And I wasnt the only one that thought TEO would be a Viking. He might have been if Floyd would have been gone.

Nailed the 2012 draft more than anyone else, but you guys always tell me I am clueless so I thought I would prove otherwise.

laugh Buck.. blah..blah...and blah whistle

I just have to revive this old post.

Lmitout clamoring for the Vikings to take RG3, Pierbridge thinking Blackmon would be the savior of the franchise. How is he working out for Jacksonville Pier?? Couple of you telling me that I was nuts that we couldnt get Clevland to trade from 3 to 4 and give up a bunch.

Kalil turned out to be a great pick.

Blackmon and Claiborne like many of you wanted suck.

And as predicted by yours truly Washington gave up the franchise to move up for RG3.

I disagree with Rick that hes right about anything.

I said all along that Kali is the safe probable pick and that would work for me.

I would still take RG3 over Kali any day and Sunday.

Blackmon has played 1 year for the most part.

I don't make rash judgments on such a short sampling time frame.

Yeah I'm happy with the pick so far but you are no great sports minds as thats been established on a regular daily basis here at HSO/FishingMinnesota time and time again. grin

On a side note we need you back in the hockey forum to clarify some of your John Kerry flip flop post you laid on us. grin