• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

Excellent pick and move by Spielman. Only gave up one of our four 4th round picks to get the player they wanted. Take that deal all day long.

Two huge positions of need taken care of on the first night.

I would have waited it out to our pick, and if Janoris Jenkins was there take him, if not, take Smith.

Jenkins and all his problems will probably still be there in the third and I still wouldn't touch him.

Character issues are hardly a factor for this team at this point. Harvin, Randy Moss pt 2, Cook, and now Simpson.

The "culture of accountability" is long gone. Bring on Jenkins and hire a good trial lawyer.

Character issues are hardly an issue for this team at this point. Harvin, Randy Moss pt 2, Cook, and now Simpson.

The "culture of accountability" is long gone. Bring on Jenkins.

I figured Jenkins would fit right in.

Well I like the looks of the draft so far. We still need to wait and see if they can play at all but regardless you do have to give Speilman credit for filling 2 holes in the first round without having to give up anything.

Well played Spielman, well played.

Ok..... I like the trade to aquire 3 more picks and still get the guy you all wanted.' But then instead of using those picks to trade up and get an IMPACT player at a skill position... We trade up to get Harrison Smith, aka Tyrell Johnson. YES, safety was a need. But now we dont have a pick until 66 and we still dont have a WR or a CB. Trade up and get Kirkpatrick or FLoyd! Trade up and get the Baylor wide out....Not Harrison Smith! Good luck with all those 4th rounders ricky, you'll need it.

Sorry to be a downer, but we're picking in the top 5 again next year... What a joy to live in loserville USA!

Ok..... I like the trade to aquire 3 more picks and still get the guy you all wanted.' But then instead of using those picks to trade up and get an IMPACT player at a skill position... We trade up to get Harrison Smith, aka Tyrell Johnson. YES, safety was a need. But now we dont have a pick until 66 and we still dont have a WR or a CB. Trade up and get Kirkpatrick or FLoyd! Trade up and get the Baylor wide out....Not Harrison Smith! Good luck with all those 4th rounders ricky, you'll need it.

Sorry to be a downer, but we're picking in the top 5 again next year... What a joy to live in loserville USA!

We signed two free agent corners who are better than anything we had back there last year. Got Cook back who is a major plus. Just signed Simpson as a WR.

You have to be foolish not to see these two picks coming. We had no left tackle...none. Kalil wore a purple tie to the draft party. Hmmmm...

Safety was literally the only position we didn't adress during the off-season. Safety was, and has been, our weekest link on the defensive side of the ball for the better part of 5 years. Smith is a day one starter. He went exactly where most of the "draft-gurus" thought he'd go. End of the 1st...beginning of the second.

Sorry the Vikes didn't add any fantasy players for you YIGGIN...they just got a whole lot better by adding the two players they did to this roster. Not only are our corners better than last year...we now have someone who'll actually support them over the top and on the edge.

WR has not come off the board yet...there is a reason for that.

Vikes need to look for a MLB who can threaten to start in the 3rd...go all skill positions in the 4th...hope to hit on 2 of the 3.

Wouldn't be suprised at all to see them trade up in the 2nd to take another need. MLB or WR.

Looks like the Vikes filled a few of the larger issues. Now we will hope they can play as advertised. This will take more than 1 season to fix our issues.

I might guess that Ziggy will get the needed players for a contending team by the time the new stadium is built.

Few more years and those Packer people and players will say, wow, those guys from Mn are getting after us.

I agree with zep, how could you not see the safety pick coming. They have corners and receivers on the roster. They dont even have a servicable safety on the roster. What were you going to do at safety without this pick?? It was a good pick. You could see it coming all night. There is so much depth yet out thert the receiver position. It would have been moronic to take a receiver and ignore the safety. You do they are building an nfl team not your 2013 fantasy team right? For the vikings to be relevant they have to hit in pick 66 and beyond. There were 2 safetys in this draft and they got one. They weren't going to find a safety at pick 66. There is going to be receivers and corners available in the third and forth. Just like every other team that is relevant, now it's the vikings turn. 4 picks in the next 2 rounds. They have to hit and it's going to be much easier to hit on a receiver or corner than had they tried to do it vice versa.

Aka Tyrell Johnson?? Lol

good job vikes.

although it would've been a lot cooler if they were able to keep trading their first pick and keep moving down to pick up like 15 extra picks, then trade them all to the patriots for tom brady.

Couldn't be more happy with the way the Vikings are running this draft. Rick seems to really have a plan and is working it. Give him credit, when was the last time the Vikings were able to achieve two first round picks? They got two great players who will step in day one and start. Now Johnson can move back into guard where he is more suited and that makes the O line even better. Gives Peterson much better chance to run the ball without being hit in the backfield and Ponder will have more time to find his receivers. If you think about it, the Vikings have more weapons than everyone thinks. If they get Peterson involved more catching the ball out of the backfield, Rudolph is great and will show that this coming season, Harvin can move back into the slot where he belongs, and catch those crossing routes, so the only thing we really need is that outside receiver threat. Jerome might be that guy or they might find that in the draft. Honestly what concerns me the most is D line. They are getting long in the tooth and need someone quality replacements.

I dont mind the Smith trade at all, it filled a need. Although I think if they would have stood pat on their pick, Smith might have been their regardless without having to give up a couple extra picks to get him. If Smith wasnt there, we could have taken Jenkins. It really is hard to pass on his talent, just because he likes to smoke up and have unprotected sex. He may not be the brightest cat off the field, but he sure is an impact player on the field.

We still have a lot of picks to hit with, I think they go line backer with their next pick, then WR, then address the OL again with the later picks. If we can hit with a good MLB in rounds 3-5, and get a little depth on our OL, we could still pick up a WR in FA, or via trade. If the Vikings do nothing more then shore up Safety, and give us a strong offensive line, I will be happy with this years draft. We arent winning any super bowls this year, so we can always address WR next as well. As long as we can keep Ponder healthy, and on his feet, we can see what he is capable of.

The feeling all along was you would have to get in front of the patriots at 31 to get smith and that was even more the case after the patriots made two picks before 31. They had to get him. For gods sake they don't even have Johnson or Abdullah on the roster. They literally had nothing.

James, I am with you 100% that they made the right move going up and getting smith, the price was cheap enough and you get a day 1 starter in a position of need. However, I have no idea what you are talking about in your last post. If we had to get in front of the Patriots to get him, we already had that with our second round pick. The Patriots werent going to draft before our second rounder after they already picked twice in the first round.

SPielman did a great job... I have to go find a plate of crow to eat...

We'll see if he can stay on track through the next rounds...

Good Luck!

Ken

You have to give Spielman an "A" for his job last night. Good teams have success in these upcoming middle rounds, so he has a lot of work left to do, but getting 3 picks to move down 1 spot was awesome. Moving up was also a good idea. I do have some concerns about the fact Smith doesn't make many INTs, but he should be a solid contributor from day 1.

I thought the Vikes got off to one of the best starts of any team so far.

I see Dallas is shopping Mike Jenkins, and he could be had for a mid to late round pick. He isnt owed much, and only has 1 year left of his contract. He would be an upgrade over our replacement CB we have now. Thoughts?

Go Vikes!!!! Props to Spielman! He stepped it up!

All you haters can go route for the Pack or something, get off the Vikes train if all you can do is thow out negativity. We're rebuilding and doing a good job in the draft.

Purple Pride!

Love the Kahlil pick and the move down to acquire a few picks.

I hope Smith works out and it fills the next biggest need IMO. I'm just a little skeptical based on our recent history with safety's. I guess eventually they have to get one right....don't they?!?!?!?!

James, I am with you 100% that they made the right move going up and getting smith, the price was cheap enough and you get a day 1 starter in a position of need. However, I have no idea what you are talking about in your last post. If we had to get in front of the Patriots to get him, we already had that with our second round pick. The Patriots werent going to draft before our second rounder after they already picked twice in the first round.

Ir right creep, I forgot they moved on pick 31.....for some reason I was thinking they moved a second round pick up and still had 31 when we moved up. Guess I got caught up in the vikings moveup I lost track of what was what

It will be interesting to see if we try to move back into round 2 tonight. We currently have 10 picks remaining - a 3rd, three 4ths, two 5ths, a 6th and three 7ths - so we have some ammo.

Quote:
I lost track of what was what

Tell us something we ALL don't know .. grin Just kiddin James~ !

Imagine if we would have douped Jacksonville into trading for the 4th pic as was being reported. We stole those bonus picks from Cleveland as far as I'm concerned!

Draft grade all things considered has to be a B+ for day one!

Skoal Vikes!