• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

Ok then let me ask u this- If Kalil is so highly regarded- would a team not want to trade up to our position to get him? Could we not trade back and get the stanford tackle and more picks? I would be much more comfortable doing that. Is it hypathetical? yeah, but its certainly feasable.

But why would a team trade away those same picks we are drooling for when they could keep the picks and just take the Stanford tackle where they sit.....

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

I am with Yogi that I would not draft a Tackle that high. If there are no other skill players that are worthy of the pick I would trade back. I am not a fan of drafting Blackmon that high either but Claiborne looks like the real deal and could help both out secondary and be a punt returner,which is also a position we are in dire need of an upgrade.

If they don't think Claiborne is worth the 3 slot then i would trade back and get a few additional picks or players.

the draft could be interesting this year with the new rookie wage scale. i think teams will be more agressive in trading up because they won't have to unload ooodles of money to sign them.

and you can't call mckinnie a bust when he's still in the league and has played at a pro bowl level. busts are guys that don't play for more than a couple years.

The best offensive line ive ever seen the vikings have was anchored on the left side by Todd Stuessie.... Randal McDaniel, Jeff Christy, Dave Dixon and I cant remember who the other guy was, doesnt matter. All I know is Todd Steussie was more known for false starts and holding penalties then being a stud LT.

I agree with you guys that we need to upgrade the oline and u could be right that Kalil is the "no brainer" pick. Im just not comfortable taking a tackle that high and until i see Kalil just completely stonewalling the likes of Julius Peppers, Pierre-Paul, ect.. ect.. i wont be. I believe we can upgrade the o line later in the draft.

I believe we can upgrade the o line later in the draft.

If the Vikings think they can upgrade the oline later in the draft, I beleive they will. If they don't, they're going to draft Kalil... it's unfortunate that we're in this situation... but it is what it is. We need to upgrade the oline for the 2012 season or Ponder will get killed... again. If the Vikes feel Kalil can step in and provide help on day 1, and they don't feel there is another olineman who will be available in RD 2 or a FA out there who can do this, they're going to draft Kalil.

I agree with you on the philosophy that taking an olineman at 3 overall is stupid... but our situation sucks and we may not have another choice.

Quote:
All I know is Todd Steussie was more known for false starts and holding penalties then being a stud LT.

Which is a huge improvement over the siv we had their last season. Their job is to protect the QB, not allow everyone through to nail your QB. At least Stuessie would block them, he would just do it a little early once in awhile wink

The other thing with getting an LT... it allows us to use Chuck Johnson at Guard... 2 positions with 1 pick. This could really help out the Oline as a whole. It's not just about Kalil vs Julis Peppers...

Julious Peppers is old now, and nowhere near the threat he used to be. Although that Detroit team has some QB killers on it.

I'm not the one thats pigeon holed into drafting 1 position, LT, with the 3rd overall pick here. I said any skill position with 3 or trade down for offensive line help and thats been my point the whole time.

IMO with the third overall pick, the Vikings (or any team for that matter)should be drafting a player that is one of the best players in the entire league at whatever position they play; otherwise you've overdrafted a player.

If the Vikes only stick to "skilled positions" only, they'll end up passing on other top talent which affects how good the entire team is. IF...the Vikes were to draft Blackmon with the third pick, I could list lots of other veteran receivers that are just as good or better than Blackmon is. Because of that, the third pick feels way too high for a guy like Blackmon. Don't get wrong, I think he'll be a really good reciever but there's other receivers in the NFL doing the same thing. That doesn't make the Vikes any better than those other teams just equals.

The general consensus with Kalil is that he's going to be a top left tackle in the league because of his background, athletic ability, etc. And if Kalil does become a top tackle in the league as expected, that would vindicate him being the third overall pick.

Trading down and passing up on the best players possible at any position is what doesn't make any sense. That's implying the Vikes should've traded down for more picks instead of drafting Adrian Peterson. Afterall, 7 is too high for a RB, right?

Im starting to come around to the idea ever so slightly cuz Ive been beaten into submission by all you kalil lovers and everyone basically saying I should ride the special ed. bus for not wanting to take him with the highest pick the vikes have EVER had in the draft.

Having said that- heres some food for thought

That list of free agent WR's is getting shorter by the day- Mike Wallace and Desean Jack are a given to sign with their current teams. So that leaves Vin Jack and Pierre Wi Wi Garcon....(mannigham is injury prone and not that good, no interest) Do any of you wanna over-pay to get one of those two? Not me. And im not saying that means we have to draft Blackmon, so dont accuse me of it.

No one to stretch the field what-so-ever and back defenses off the line of scrimmage for AP and NO ONE on defense to create a turnover(what a concept) or make a big play besides Jared Allen. Hard to block 9 or 10 in the box even if Kalil knocks his man on his a$$ every play. Sounds like a whole lot more of the same (3-13) to me next year unless we can find a playmaker on offense AND defense somewhere later in the draft. (any suggestions?)

If we take this guy with the 3rd OVERALL PICK, he better be the best offensive lineman the vikings have ever had.

You might want to do some research. The list I looked at the other night had garcon as the 11th best WR in FA. It's a long list of good recievers.

Did some research and the best and only one that I would want left is Dwayne Bowe... I would probably overpay a little to get him, but I dont think we're gonna get him. Steve Johnson signed with the bills today, hes out.. Colston will sign with the saints, why wouldnt he wanna play with brees? We all ready have a version of Welker in Harvin and hes gonna stay with the pats anyway. Reggie Wayne will go where ever Manning goes. So its a shorter list then you think IMO.

Its gonna be very interesting to see what the vikes do in FA

Did some research and the best and only one that I would want left is Dwayne Bowe... I would probably overpay a little to get him, but I dont think we're gonna get him. Steve Johnson signed with the bills today, hes out.. Colston will sign with the saints, why wouldnt he wanna play with brees? We all ready have a version of Welker in Harvin and hes gonna stay with the pats anyway. Reggie Wayne will go where ever Manning goes. So its a shorter list then you think IMO.

Its gonna be very interesting to see what the vikes do in FA

Colston may not be able to sign with the Saints since they just had to franchise Brees. They probably won't have the cap space available for both him, and their pro-bowl guard, Nicks.

That and I dont think the Saints will be a sawed after team to play for, for the next couple seasons. I think Goodel will come down hard on them, and make them a less then desirable team to play for.

Yeah, why would anybody want to play football with Drew Breeze.... that won't impact one players decision. It will probably help with Free-agents as they will have less draft picks was once Roger is done with them. It's didn't really hurt the Pats and it won't hurt the Saints to much if at all.

It is looking like Khali at this point which isn't the end of the world. RG11 IMO will be gone VIA trade by the time we pick and I don't think we have the STONES to take Blackmon.

I'm still praying for RG!! or Blackmon because thats what this league is all about but it's pretty doubtfull at this point.

Sought after.....I don't think the Aints will keep many good players when their contracts are up.

On thing that really irks me........some of you posters are trying to lump all offensive linemen together. The left tackle position is an elite skill-set position, and needs to be treated much higher than the guards and right tackles. There are many college tackles that simply do NOT have the skill- set for playing LT in the pros. That puts Kalil into the top 5 for sure.

Dwayne Bowe franchised today by KC as well.... I officially dont want anything to do with any of the WR's left in free agency.

We might have a chance at Colston because of the saints current situation like u guys said, but i dont really consider him a field stretcher by any means. Hes got good hands and is a good possesion reciever and can go get a jump ball now and then, but we kind of already have a poor mans colston in Jenkins, sort of.......

PierBridge, don't give up hope on RG3 yet. Word is the Rams are asking way too much for him. Supposedly Cleveland and Washington have offered a first and a second next year and the Rams have said no to those offers. What about Peyton? What is that going to do to the draft order? If the Rams don't get what they're asking for they might draft Kalil and RG3 falls into the Vikes lap. Stranger things have happened. I don't think it will turn out that way but it's not out of the realm of possibility. If RG3 is there the Vikes have to take him IMO.

If the rams take kalil then the vikings will field calls for that spot and will trade down.

That's a nice set up for down the road since you know there is zero chance they will take him.

"Set ups" aren't necessary when it comes to the Vikings. They do a fine job of that themselves.

The Vikings cannot pass up the best QB prospect they've had in years, if they get that opportunity.

RGIII + AP will put butts in the seats.

Wow, I cant believe this, I agree with Lmit. If RG3 is on the board, we need to draft him. Or trade him for as much as we can get for him.

Lot's of things are going to change in the next few weeks. Where Flynn and Manning end up will throw another wrench in the draft projections.

I heard the Rams are asking...expecting way too much also. I suppose they have to start on the high side...who wouldn't?

The Titans are not going to resign Courtland Finnegan bc of his cost... We can start by signing him. Mucho cap room will be opening up this year and the next (Hutch/EJ/Cederic/Cook)...

That way we can take the best player available in round 2 instead of just picking a CB because we have to....

I have heard they are targeting Carr out of KC...I'll take either one of them.

I would rather have carr personally.... finnegan is too much of a cock and a hothead.