• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who should the Vikes draft?

EBass

I think its a big mistake to tie up a bunch of cap room on a Tackle. Joe Thomas, Jake Long... both recently highly drafted tackles who are very good players. How much of an impact did they really have on their teams? Pretty minimal to me because both of their teams are still terrible! Trade down if its o line you want or shore up the line through FA.

Ill tell you whats nonsense- Comparing Blackmon to Troy Williamson..... c'mon man. Thats the biggest bust in the history of the NFL draft besides Tony Mandarich or Ryan Leaf. Pretty big shoes to fill there...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• LMITOUT

• zepman

I really would like to see the Vikes evaluations of their young players, because that would give us a roadmap to where they need to focus. I haven't seen anyone really mention our 2011 draft picks, as far as future....it seems to mostly be big name FA, or big name draftees. How many of you, actually called ANY OF OUR picks last year????? Yet 9 out of our 10 are still on the team, so they must show promise to the coaches. After off-season work-outs, otas, etc. they will be expected to contribute in 2012.....or they will be cut loose.

Last year they got their QBOF....now I expect the surrounding pieces, especially LT, WR(probably 2),on offense. On defense a DT, S, 2 CB's, LB, #3/4 QB. That is 9 picks if they are all draftees. Looking for depth everywhere. I'm excited to see how it all shakes out. Much better than knowing they will stand pat, with marginal vets, like Chille did.

I think its a big mistake to tie up a bunch of cap room on a Tackle. Joe Thomas, Jake Long... both recently highly drafted tackles who are very good players.

The new Rookie pay scale means this year's drafted player won't tie up cap room nearly as bad as in the past. Kalil all the way. It would be nice to tie up that spot on the line for the next 10-14 years.

If we don't take Kalil and start to shore up this swiss cheese line, we may as well make our second pick the best punter in the country...someone to give Kluwe a breather during those 10-12 punt games we will have when Ponder is laying lifeless somewhere around 4th and 25. An OL taken in the top ten picks is not sexy by any means, but necessary! Blackmon at 3? Why? To have a high profile receiver that we don't have time to throw the ball to? We need to address our O-Line first and foremost and get receiving help and secondary help in FA or in later rounds. As it stands, our "deep threat" is in the 5-7 yard range because that's how far routes could be run before Ponder was toast.

I know I am day dreaming, but I would love to see the Vikings send Sullivan down the road too. The best game the O line played last year was the Green Bay game at the dome and Sullivan was out. Watch other centers in the league when they snap to their QB in the shotgun, the ball is on a string and in their hands quick. Sullivan is lucky that he gets the ball to Ponder after its a rainbow or worm burner on the ground. HE SUCKS!!! They have a good, BIG backup. Get them all in there with Kalil and let them come together and gel as a unit. Once they can somewhat control the line of scrimmage, Ponder has time, AP can run, it will be a very different team and much harder for a defense to just send 9 guys on the blitz knowing they are going to have 2-3 guys hammering Ponder. Take care of up front and let the rest fall into place. Ponder can't become the quarterback of the future if he doesn't have time to even let plays develop so he knows what they SHOULD look like. Funny as it may sound, you get AP running and Harvin catching where the defense can't key on just one of them, its a big game changer right there.

Actually the worst draftee I can remember, in the NFL, is: Dimitrius Underwood!!!!

Charles Robinson of YAHOO SPORTS said: the vikings made "the dumbest pick EVER in the 1st round" .... I agree, and the SPIELMAN HATERS take note....he didn't make that pick, or the other 3 names just mentioned either!!! Maybe he isn't so bad after all... confused

Drafting Kalil also free's up our non-existant TE's to go out and actually run a route. There is a reason Shianco and our 2nd round pick last year, Rudolph, disappeared during games...they had to stay in and BLOCK on the edges because our line was so bad.

Draft Kalil to start at tackle = upgrade

Move Johnson to guard = upgrade

Free up our TE's....especially Rudolph = upgrade

It may not be the sexy pick but I'd sure like to see more Rudolph next year given the small sample we got from him this year.

I think its a big mistake to tie up a bunch of cap room on a Tackle. Joe Thomas, Jake Long... both recently highly drafted tackles who are very good players. How much of an impact did they really have on their teams? Pretty minimal to me because both of their teams are still terrible! Trade down if its o line you want or shore up the line through FA.

Ill tell you whats nonsense- Comparing Blackmon to Troy Williamson..... c'mon man. Thats the biggest bust in the history of the NFL draft besides Tony Mandarich or Ryan Leaf. Pretty big shoes to fill there...

A) there is a rookie wage scale, it won't tie up lots of cap room

B) you are going to pay your first pick approximately the same regardless of position

C) you have to pay good players, regardless.

D) are you seriously suggesting that good offensive tackles are not helpful to NFL teams? There is a reason they are highly paid and highly prized

There's only 2 options at this point.

Keep the pick and draft Kalil or trade the pick.

You can't just go find a franchise LT, no teams let them go therefor you have to draft them.

I'll never understand why teams let their O-lines get so bad, if I was building a team that's what I'd want the most.

a good o-line makes the ENTIRE team better. can't say that about any other group or position.

except HOF qb's

Never once said we dont need to upgrade o line. Seems like everyone on here thinks Khalil is the ONLY good lineman in this draft, which i find very hard to believe. Thats just not true, there will be good lineman takin in the 7th round, much less the first.

Yes im aware of the new rookie wage scale, but guess what, the 3rd overall pick is still gonna make a bunch of money. Trading down and getting more picks is the way to go if your all set on an o lineman.

Id like to hear what everyone thinks about this- What if the rams dont trade their pick and RG 3 is available with the 3rd pick???? What would you all do?? I would take him without using ANY time on the draft clock. Im not sold on Ponder being our franchise QB at all... Seems like everyone is though

Never once said we dont need to upgrade o line. Seems like everyone on here thinks Khalil is the ONLY good lineman in this draft, which i find very hard to believe. Thats just not true, there will be good lineman takin in the 7th round, much less the first.

Yes im aware of the new rookie wage scale, but guess what, the 3rd overall pick is still gonna make a bunch of money. Trading down and getting more picks is the way to go if your all set on an o lineman.

I agree totally. While the line needs to be upgraded big time I would much rather trade out of 3 and get both a LT and a RG or RT to build overall depth than to use a pick that high in the draft on a Tackle.

Even if Kalil exceeds even the rubes expectations there are so many holes in the roster that it can only help to have as many picks as possible to fortify the roster.

Drafting Kalil also free's up our non-existant TE's to go out and actually run a route. There is a reason Shianco and our 2nd round pick last year, Rudolph, disappeared during games...they had to stay in and BLOCK on the edges because our line was so bad.

Draft Kalil to start at tackle = upgrade

Move Johnson to guard = upgrade

Free up our TE's....especially Rudolph = upgrade

It may not be the sexy pick but I'd sure like to see more Rudolph next year given the small sample we got from him this year.

When they were in the game the vast majority of the time they were actually on the right side of the line helping Loadholt and not on the left. That was usually handled by the RB and if Peterson would be able to sell the screen and execute it then we would be able to counter that pass rush on the right side of the line without needing an all world tackle.

a good o-line makes the ENTIRE team better. can't say that about any other group or position.

except HOF qb's

Even HOF QB's blow goats when they don't have any time and get smashed to the ground repeatedly throughout a game.

Id like to hear what everyone thinks about this- What if the rams dont trade their pick and RG 3 is available with the 3rd pick???? What would you all do?? I would take him without using ANY time on the draft clock. Im not sold on Ponder being our franchise QB at all... Seems like everyone is though

I'd trade the pick to some eager team.

I doubt anyone is sold on Ponder either way, hard to tell after half a season worth of playing time with no offseason workouts with no O-line or Wr's.

What he did do is show flashes of being good, and he showed flashed of being bad, that's how it is for most rookie QB's.

I doubt Brady or Manning would look good behind our O-line throwing to our WR's.

Our O-Line was bad last year but our defensive secondary was by far the worst group on the field.

I expect they will go after a FA corner as their #1 off-season need and spend alot of $$$ for him too. Could also see them taking a corner in the early 2nd round as well.

I don't think he's the only good OL in the draft, but I do think he's the best available OL. Saying there "will be good lineman taken in the 7th round" is like saying there "will be good QBs taken in the 7th round." That may be true, but I don't see the Colts talking about anyone but Luck. Why? Because he is clearly the best QB in the draft based on the facts we have right now. The same is true of Kalil--he's the best at his position, and that is our #1 position of need. Why wouldn't we take him? We can fill that hole with a legitimate franchise LT and shore that spot up for years to come, and I would be dumbfounded if we did anything but that.

I don't think he's the only good OL in the draft, but I do think he's the best available OL. Saying there "will be good lineman taken in the 7th round" is like saying there "will be good QBs taken in the 7th round." That may be true, but I don't see the Colts talking about anyone but Luck. Why? Because he is clearly the best QB in the draft based on the facts we have right now. The same is true of Kalil--he's the best at his position, and that is our #1 position of need. Why wouldn't we take him? We can fill that hole with a legitimate franchise LT and shore that spot up for years to come, and I would be dumbfounded if we did anything but that.

I checked over the first 20 players as rated, and, the Vikes could trade down while still getting a quality OL player plus a potential 2nd high rated LB, CB or WR well ahead of their normal 2nd round pick....We need more than just an offensive lineman.

LT tackles dont grow on trees! It is one of the most hardest positions to get a good player. If you have a for sure thing with Kahil, you almost have to take it, unless some one knocks your socks off with a trade. I dont think there will be two blockbuster trades to move up, so if the Rams are trading their pick, I doubt we will get much for ours. We might as well fill a huge need on our team with the best LT to come out of the draft for a few years, and hopefully he shores up the left side, and frees up Johnson to go back to his RG position, and we can fill 2 needs, or even three needs since it will free up our TE.

the problem with trading the 3 pick to get more late round picks is the vikings never hit on their late round picks.

I checked over the first 20 players as rated, and, the Vikes could trade down while still getting a quality OL player plus a potential 2nd high rated LB, CB or WR well ahead of their normal 2nd round pick....We need more than just an offensive lineman.

Of course they could, but you have to have a trade partner and there is a good chance they won't have one. They tried to trade back from 12 last year. There is a much better chance you will see them stay at #3 and then package some picks up to move from 35 back into the 1st round.

the problem with trading the 3 pick to get more late round picks is the vikings never hit on their late round picks.

+1.

Exactly! I agree the vikes never hit on their late rd picks, but they better start hitting or Spielman will be gone and the vikes will be picking in the top 5 every year

Jameswalleye- There are teams that will covet Blackmon enough to want to trade up and get him. i.e.- Atlanta Falcons and Julio Jones last year. Its just a matter of how good of a deal we can get and where they pick in the 1st rd.

Thats just not true, there will be good lineman takin in the 7th round, much less the first. Trading down and getting more picks is the way to go if your all set on an o lineman.

Exactly! I agree the vikes never hit on their late rd picks

So you're advocating for passing on the best-rated OT, who is probably a pretty safe pick, to get more picks, but acknowledge the Vikes don't ever get good late round picks? That is some interesting logic

Thats exactly what im advocating. They need to start HITTING on these picks if there gonna get better. Im tellin ya, even if Khalil breaks the NFL record for pancake blocks it still aint gonna change 3-13 that drasticly. And if we take a tackle THAT high, he better be bulldozing D ends to the ground or it aint worth it

I don't think you have any real idea of what adding a stud LT does for this team. I mean you've made that pretty clear.

And why would people jump up to 3 to get Blackmon when more and more question marks keep coming up with him. If you were paying attention you would see his stock is slumping. You might see happen to him what happened to crabtree a couple years ago when he slid in the draft.

I'm going to go a bit further. After the vikings shore up the front line with Kalil, I'm looking to one of these 3 guys. And this could change depending on how FA goes. Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffry, Reuben Randle. Depends on who is there......possibly all 3, most likely 2 of them. I happened to catch the combine the other day when Stephen Hill was out there. I'm wondering if he will make it to 35 after that show.

I don't think you have any real idea of what adding a stud LT does for this team. I mean you've made that pretty clear.

Please name me one team that has drafted a LT with a top 5 pick and gotten drastically better the next season.... Id like to hear you come up with one. I sure cant.

Ive made it clear that i dont wanna take a tackle with the 3rd overall pick, thats the only thing ive made clear.

How is Blackmons stock dropping? Pretty sure the guy lead the nation in catches and td's last year and did it playing against good competition.

Blackmon 2011- 121 catches, 1522 yds, 18 td's...... Pause now for a minute and let his stat line sink in...

Pretty sure thats a GIGANTIC season for an NFL player in a 16 game schedule... What did Okla St play last year 12gms? maybe 13?

Yeah, your right, his stock should be dropping pretty drastically!!!! Gimmie a BREAK!