• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Lake Ice/Snow Conditions and Fishing Reports

I fished Friday - Sunday morning with my buddy and his son. I got a 27" late Friday on a red and white Lindy flyer with a white crappie tube on 1 hook and had a decent one break me off Sunday morning. My buddy got a 31" Saturday morning which was his PB. If you were within a couple miles of us I'm sure you heard him hollering. grin

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• chaffmj

• leech~~

I've had my best luck on a Sonar there. Fishing this Friday-Sunday. Haven't been on here for a bit - what's up with Foss?

Facebook

My 27" paled by comparison so I didn't bother posting that pic. This is the first one my friend has landed there in several trips we have made over the years. Needless to say he was pretty excited. To make it more exciting we had hauled out his 81 year old father in law with us and he got to see him land it.

Beautiful fish Pro-V glad to see your pal finally got one. I had a buddy that came up with me and it took him 3 trips to catch one.

Hey Mike I was talking to Rob today and he sounded impressed with your Northland ripping shad. Where can a guy pick some of them up?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Very nice one. I just had B/S Lake Trout the last two nights for dinner. smile

The February doldrums (an overstatement in the first place), have not hit. We've put 11 trout on the ice so far this month. The trout bite well in February. You may have to rethink your locations a bit. Think deeply, Grasshoppers. wink

Beautiful fish Pro-V glad to see your pal finally got one. I had a buddy that came up with me and it took him 3 trips to catch one.

Hey Mike I was talking to Rob today and he sounded impressed with your Northland ripping shad. Where can a guy pick some of them up?

Red Rock might have them in their store. I have been ordering them on-line. Cabela's was having a sale on the limited stock they have left. You can also get them straight off Northland's website.

Oh, I think I've heard that comment come outta you before too. grin Maybe that fancy suit you're sporting these days has those fish wanting to jump in your pockets. I think I'll get me one and see how it works. smile

I just finished packing for this weekend. I keep having images of red burns on the finder chasing my jig up and down float through my mind. I was commenting to a friend today that I think I started losing sight of the fact that laker catching ran a 1-2 average per day. Occasional 5 fish days might inflate one's expectations too much. Oh well.

The real doldrums would be not getting out at all.

Oh, I think I've heard that comment come outta you before too. grin Maybe that fancy suit you're sporting these days has those fish wanting to jump in your pockets. I think I'll get me one and see how it works. smile

I just finished packing for this weekend. I keep having images of red burns on the finder chasing my jig up and down float through my mind. I was commenting to a friend today that I think I started losing sight of the fact that laker catching ran a 1-2 average per day. Occasional 5 fish days might inflate one's expectations too much. Oh well.

The real doldrums would be not getting out at all.

Careful you don't swing at Stike® three! laugh

I'm not booked until Monday, so we may actually run into each other. Pity you're so wedded to your sleds. We've been driving pickups to all my established and new spots since opener. Most of the established spots are sprouting permie shacks, but of the 35 new spots I GPSd this summer, I've fished 8, and 7 have yielded nice numbers or size.

Old habits are hard to break, but often they should be broken.

On the other hand, all this chatter about the newest lure and the best lure and the best color when it comes to lakers just makes me chuckle. I have two presentations on my own rods and my clients' rods. Yeah, two. Nearly 70 trout last year, and almost 40 so far this year.

The tackle companies really have folks in the palm of their hand, don't they?

And speaking of swinging at a pitch in the dirt, good job with the changeup, Tracey. I'm outta here! shockedshocked

I'll have to order some up. Thanks Mike.

How is truck travel out there especially over the deep holes? smile

A lot of folks are driving out. There are roads off Van Vac and Burntside Lodge. The roads don't go too far off Burntside Lodge. I have not driven the roads off Van Vac so I am not exactly sure where they go. If you stay on roads or follow some of the heavy tracks you should be fine. Stay away from narrows and areas with a lot of snow...shorelines/bays. I am taking the snowmobile out today. I like to move around a lot and don't like to have to worry about putting my truck in the drink. It only takes one spot of bad ice to ruin your day.

I'll have to order some up. Thanks Mike.

How is truck travel out there especially over the deep holes? smile

Mike,

Stop in, and I'll show you some old tried and true lures.

No use in getting caught up in the "new and improved" game.

Last year, I caught over 80% of my trout on one combination, this year 100% have come on another. I'm sure you have both in your tackle box, already!!

Careful you don't swing at Stike® three! laugh

I'm out!! Well outta work that is and I don't think the suit made it here before leaving. I wasn't worried about it but kinda started looking forward to having it for this weekend.

I'll probably see ya soon.

... We've been driving pickups to all my established and new spots since opener. ...

Is truck travel common on most of the lake now?

Any ice thicknesses to report?

fished solo from around 10-3 today. iced two fish. one 28in and a fat 29in. lost a smaller fish as well. 36fow. 2in Northland Rippin Shad. The only down fall of this new Rippin Shad is that the fish inhale it so far down their throats that they get hooked in the gills. I had to keep the 28in. It was bleeding bad. All the fish came off the same spot in the morning. Moved to a new to me spot and didn't mark a fish.

Not the best pic of the 28. It froze fast this morning.

P1010452.jpg

This fish was planning on inhaling this bait straight into its stomach.

P1010449.jpg

Nice fish Mike. wink Isn't it fun trying to setup a cameras for self-shots and get the fish back in the water as fast as you can? crazy

cool

Great shots...looks like a really fun time.

Keep on having fun...you do well, fishing hard an have fun there Mike.

Super Job.

T

First off, let me just say I mean what follows with respect. If a little impatience creeps in, that is my problem, not anyone else's.

No use in getting caught up in the "new and improved" game.

Last year, I caught over 80% of my trout on one combination, this year 100% have come on another. I'm sure you have both in your tackle box, already!!

Hey Steve Foss dude..post yer catches man ...fun to see photos of lakers an big pikes.

Sounds like yer doing great.

Simple is best....new lures rock in the hands of the right driver, but older ones have that special tone!

Fun to share photos.

grin

Keep yer stick on da ice!

Tommy

Hey Steve Foss dude..post yer catches man ...fun to see photos of lakers an big pikes.

Sounds like yer doing great.

Simple is best....new lures rock in the hands of the right driver, but older ones have that special tone!

Fun to share photos.

grin

Keep yer stick on da ice!

Tommy

I think he would if he could afford a little better camera! whistle

fished solo from 11-5 today. marked three fish, caught three fish. One little 2lber and two that were a hair over 26.5in. 36-55fow. 2in Northland Rippin Shad. fished 8 different spots. some new some old.

The blood on my hand is from me not the fish. smile

P1010462-1-1.jpg

P1010460-1-1.jpg

Nice Mike! Jeez are you getting tried yet! shockedgrin