• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Lake Ice/Snow Conditions and Fishing Reports

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• chaffmj

• leech~~

It does seem that a lot of quality fish are being pulled out this year. It also seems that a lot more people have been fishing. Travel conditions were very good this year which allowed more people to fish. More people fishing = more fish being caught.

In the 6 winters I have fished Burntside this winter I saw more big fish come through the hole than any other winter.

I checked out the lake today. The ice is creeping farther and farther away from the shoreline. The ice is also much darker than it was yesterday. If anyone decides to head out make sure you are prepared to go in the water. Pull a boat and have a life jacket, ice picks, throw rope, and a buddy to pull you out. Better yet just play it safe and stay off the ice. smile

Hope you have some good year classes behind it,plus the existing bigger fish. That is one beautiful lake.

I have caught mostly smaller fish the last couple of years so I think there are some good year classes out there but what do I know. Anyone else caught any smaller than 20"?

I have caught mostly smaller fish the last couple of years so I think there are some good year classes out there but what do I know. Anyone else caught any smaller than 20"?

I did catch some fish under 20in. Most of them were stocked fish.

Quote:
I did catch some fish under 20in. Most of them were stocked fish.

See I was right what do I know I wasn't even thinking about stocked versus natural. I know some were and some wern't and some I didn't even look I just got them back in the water as quick as possible. I'll have to pay more attention. blush

Caught a 27.5 incher 56 ft down on a gold lindy flyer and sucker minnow. Sunday we fished infront of burntside lodge. Trout were even deeper. Within 10 ft of bottom in 85 ft. Caught a very fat 29 incher. He did a "shuttle run" from my bait to the bottom and back about 5 times before he finally hit my bucktail jig.

Nice fish and welcome to the addiction!

Thanks, if I can get the pics online I'll post a few. Both fish were natural. How do you usually entice lookers to bite? I tried every method to get all the fish I marked to bite. The 2 I caught fell for a rapid twitch I usually do for crappies.

Thanks, if I can get the pics online I'll post a few. Both fish were natural. How do you usually entice lookers to bite? I tried every method to get all the fish I marked to bite. The 2 I caught fell for a rapid twitch I usually do for crappies.

Some days you just can't get a trout to bite.

Mike,

The under 20's seem to be the only thing my wife and can catch, and not loads of them either. I was really hoping to hit it hard in the late season after the Bash. I can't believe I was really hoping for cold weather this spring...that turned out well!!!

simey1 I hear you that was all I caught last season If I remember right and a lot of those were under 15. With lakers it is all a matter of putting in time.

Well slowside, and slowbank kicked out a few fish from pout ta your rouge 28 inch walleyes. But i have to say the week during the outta control warm-up i never saw so many native lakers over 25. Got skunked plenty, but knew they are there. You can fish em 100fow, you can fish em 20fow. It's a hassle fishing threw the ice if you ask me, id rather fish em mid august with the weapon. Then again you wonder more often fishing threw a lousy hole. Well good luck to you all, and remember the 2 throw back the 19-24 inch walleyes those are the egg layer's!?

Ya u betcha on the ice holding up, ya missed the bite of the decade. Hit the shore for steelhead and loopers, water is fast flyrod with 6 pound tipit and yarn work for me, Goodluck with the snags.,

Van Vac was open today. I trolled for a couple hours. Didn't catch anything but it was good to be out trolling in March! There is a lot of open water out there. I think it will be out before the end of the season. Only issue would be a strong north wind that would blow all the ice back into the landing. The dock is not in and the hazard markers are not out so be careful when boating on the lake.

P1010484.jpg

If Burntside isn't totally open tonight with this wind, it will be by this time tomorrow.

That'll give you 4 days of open water trout fishing!!

fished again today with no fish. most of the fish i marked were glued to the bottom. there was still ice up on the north arm but that should go either tonight or tomorrow. other than a couple floating chunks it was ice free everywhere else i went.

Hey mike did they move up shallow yet or still deep?

The fished I marked were in 50-70fow. 90% of the fish were just bumps on the bottom. Only a few were up off the bottom a bit. I did try throwing plastics up shallow with no luck. I trolled in 15-80fow.

That is crazy to be out boating for lakers this time of the year. I don't know if I should come up and do it just to say I did it. Good luck Mike.

trolled burntside today. landed one 28in trout. 35ft down over 65fow. gold thin doctor spoon. still some ice floating up on the north arm but not very much.

not the best pic but you get the idea. smile

P1010489.jpg

Good job Mike,

Persistance finally paid off. I think we'll give it a try on Sat. Looks like I better put the downriggers on. Do you think I need the big outrigger boards too. They always seem like a big hassle when I use them. Dan

You sir, are a hell of a trout fisherman. Through ice or open water, your pics are always impressive. On behalf of all of the desk jockeys that surf this forum, thank you for sharing.

Good job Mike,

Persistance finally paid off. I think we'll give it a try on Sat. Looks like I better put the downriggers on. Do you think I need the big outrigger boards too. They always seem like a big hassle when I use them. Dan

Depends on how many lines you are planning to run and if you want to fish close to shore. I think you could get away with leaving the boards at home.

Mike, I hope when you said "one more day" you don't think you can legally fish for trout today.

The season closed Saturday, March 31st.

I saw your truck and boat trailer (along with Steve's and a few others) at the Van Vac Landing this morning, so I called Rob Nelson. He was going to text you to let you know, just in case you thought it ended today!! laugh

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it closed on the 31st but when I saw Mike's post I figured I was wrong.