• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports by HighBanks Resort

Fished Friday and Saturday with little success. Set up in about 24' based on a tip from the access and travel was tough so we didn't move the wheelhouse after that. Did catch an 8 lb elpout but other than that fish were small and few and far between. Found out travel was difficult from the new snow and left before the storm!

I am used to fishing upper red and should have headed that way again I guess... oh well maybe next year!

Did not use highbanks access and found that was a mistake as the other guys road pretty much takes you to highbanks via ice which was rough and not well plowed even on Saturday before the storm. Can't imagine what it was like sunday. Live and learn!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HIGHBANKS

• jigglestick

• NewtotheNorth

• Bobberboy

fishalittle,

What end of the lake did you set up on?

Did you go on from one of the resorts on the south end?

Used a resort on the south end. Setup about 6 miles north of there where the road curved and headed west to where the perch were biting I guess....? I am not real familiar with the lake but the resort pointed us in a direction and thats where we went.

First timer going to Big Winnie...

What would be the best depth to start the search for Tullibee? At Mille lacs, it is around 30+ FOW.

Also, would it be more wise(practical): to move around to look for fish as to wait for the fish to move in (if they do).

Just wondering...

Can anyone point me to a ice road map for High Banks? I was not able to find on through the resort site (maybe just not looking in the correct location).

Was trying to plan areas to target base upon where the road is plowed at...

I'm not so sure that they post one. Perhaps a call to the resort would be your best choice at this point.

We to are heading up this weekend but nature may not allow for much if any travel after tonight and tomorrow.

the road system on the lake can vary from year to year but every year we have the main road straight out 2 1/2 miles. off of that road we turn west south west to the Big Island area. at that starting point we also go nortwest to zoomers bar.

we always have a road to perch bar and the last three years we have taken off of our main road, out 3/4 mile out, to the northwest to doc's bar area.

we have tried posting the map online but it's difficult with my limited computer skills to draw on a picture of winnie.

maybe we can figure it out someday.

jigglestick,

Always enjoy your posts. They are really helpful and u seem to be very honest and sincere about sharing your info. Keep us updated on the driving conditions as I am sure the snow is gonna have an ill efect on off trail travel. Had a group up this past weekend and went out of Highbanks and as usual you guys were helpful. Made it to zoomers and did ok, not much for size. Tried to get to Sugar Bay but couldn't make it. Left Sunday morning due to the snow. We will be up the weekend of the 8th, 9th & 10th and plan on goin out from Highbanks, they have always been helpful in the past so we r gonna return the favor. Keep us updated on the driving condiions with the heavy snow u just got and the upcoming snow. Hopin for some true jumbos.

this go-round is still going round, but over night it was basicly nothing. as of now there's about an inch smile but the Brainerd area has 8 inches. it's still coming down here but it's pretty light. they are calling for 2-4 as of this morning. that's much better than the 8-13 they were talking about last night.

looks like we dodged a major bullet

Jigglestick,

Thanks for the update and yeah that is good news. Will be up this weekend fishing out of highbanks, I hope to see youon the lake.

Did Big Winnie area get hit with the rain like we did down in the twin cities? Will that limit off road activity due to slush?

March has arrived with a fresh coat of snow over Big Winnie. Full size trucks and wheelhouse access out of High Banks Resort is welcomed. We have nicely plowed roads 2 1/2 miles out, branching to the Big Island, Zoomers, perch Bar. We also have road systems toward Tamrack Bar and south on the 3/4 Mile mark. Our road systems have road sign which makes travel great and remember to grab a map while in the Lodge. Being mobile will be a more difficult as you may find yourself with a shovel in your hand, not a fishing pole.

The perch fishing as been consistent as perch are on the move chasing minnows across the flats. Because of the high catch numbers you might be in for a bit of sorting. However, because perch are on the move, you’ll find yourself ending up with a nice pail for a fish fry. If you can target a bug bite, stay close by and keep fishing, perch typically hold longer on a bug hatch.

If you’re looking to use your smoker or have fished smoked, there is nothing better than tullibees. They taste great and, most of all, are fun to catch. Most of the active tullibees have been in the deeper water off structure. Ask at the resort for more details. One tip is to bring different types of grubs and spike worms to make them strike. Also bring small minnows for the perch. Keep in mind that the tullibees will not usually take a minnow.

Stop in the lodge for the latest fishing updates, or to grab a meal and talk fishing. We hope to see you on the ice or in the Resort!

• 9 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How is the ice looking out of Highbanks this year?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on ICE!!! 12-14 inches of ice out front as of today. Measured 3-3 miles out on the ice. 4-5 inches of snow cover. MID-size vehicles will be allowed to access through our location for this upcoming holiday weekend. Please plan accordingly. High Banks Resort will be opening December 29th at 7:00pm in the evening. Happy New Year!! We are looking forward to seeing you!!! 800-365-2560

Mid Size would include 1/2 ton trucks. 12-14 inches of ice. Safety first. Our day-use houses are going out on the ice today. Our wheel houses will be going out on Jan. 4, 2013.

High Banks!!! Lake Winnie!!! Wheel houses are accessing!!! We have plowed roads 2 1/2 miles out on the ice to the first series of humps. Cold temps are continuing. 5 inches of snow cover. 12-14 inches of ice. Come on up to Winnie to get in on the early season HOT action on Winnie!!! www.highbanks.com Jan 3-9, 2013 any cabin!! $30/person/night!!! Viking/Packer game will be on!! Drink specials throughout the Saturday evening!! Give us a call!! 800-365-2560

• 2 weeks later...

HOT DEALS in the January!!! $30/person/night!!! Who wants to catch the next walleye on Winnie?? Call today!! A few cabins still available for the weekend of Jan 18 and Jan 25th!!! 800-365-2560

High Banks Resort!! Lake Winnie www.highbanks.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just giving Highbanks a plug, I fished Winnie this weekend and we went out of Highbanks and the road they have plowed is awesome, we took it out as far as it goes and with little snow and flat ice we were able to drive my wheel house out to the big hump and catch some nice jumbos and a few walleyes. If your looking for a getaway call highbanks or stop in and use the access they provide to get to your favorite spot!

High Banks Lake Winnie Ice/Snow updates!!! Perch are going in 14-18' of water using heads of minnows and jigging!! We received another 8" of snow this week! Travel off road is minimal. Hard packed and snow and drifts in areas. Plowed roads back in place. Wheel houses welcome!!! 800-365-2560 www.highbanks.com

Thanks!!! Great to hear that you enjoyed fishing with us on Winnie!! Looking forward to seeing you back at High Banks soon!!!

Do you guys have houses set up so I can catch some tullibees, perch, and walleyes in one spot??

that's a pretty tall request

I know. I was trying to be funny. But, it would be nice if that was possible. cool