• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports by Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson

The most recent episode of Deck Talk is now live...

Deck Talk - Episode #28 - Crankbait Anatomy - CLICK HERE

In this episode we break down the crankbait, namely the Salmo Hornet, and discuss some of the details that go into using the bait. Also important tips on crankbait selection and how different crankbait styles can be better used in different situations.

Enjoy! smile

Thanks Matt. I always enjoy a little help when it comes to fishing. I've been out twice after reading your artical about fishing hard bottom weed edges and have had better luck catching some nice bass then I have had in a long time.

I've gotta say that a love using my 798 SI unit to help find the edges. Haven't used it much, but already find it being a great tool. A camera would be cool, but I don't icefish so I haven't bought one... yet.

Has the bite out deep held through this weather for you? It seems to have slow it a bit over the past week. Just wondering if its going to pick back up

Sorry for the lack of reports lately... I do have a good reason... we just had our third son this past Wednesday!!! Brody Thomas Johnson!! He was born at 6:20pm on Wed and weighed 7lb 15oz and measured 21 1/4"... would be a good size bass wink So it's been a busy couple weeks at the Johnson household! I will post some pictures of Brody once we get a chance to unwind a little and things get back to "normal" ... LOL

I plan to be on a water a few times this week so I will report back... hopefully everyone has been out enjoying this awesome weather!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how around this time every year we find ourselves scrambling to put together patterns. One day we find fish deep... the next day they are tight within the weeds... the next day they are not even in the lake! I tell you what... the motor is getting a workout lately! Move, move, move!

The good news though, when you do find a pod of fish, you can typically catch a handful before moving to the next spot, so they are stacked up and willing to bite. Best spots have still been deep weed lines and/or hard bottom spots, although we caught a handful of nice bass up in the slop the other day. They were extremely eager to crush a topwater frog and there was no pausing for the hookset... we just let 'em have it!

The panfish bite has been good lately too... a lot of fish on the outside weed lines and mainlake basins just cruising around in giant pods. Drop a plastic twister tail or paddle tail in front of them they will be bite it. Best piece of advice is to just watch you electronics for pods of fish and then get back over the top of them and the school will turn on. It's worked like this on a variety of different lakes. Both for crappies and sunfish... you will actually see some of the crappie schools way up high on your electronics, so easy to pick out.

Otherwise if you want to really fun action, give the river(s) a try for catfish smile I know many of you laugh, but it can be a hoot and they fish are really stacked up on the snags and around bridges. Some nice ones too! You also have a good shot at pulling in a walleye and/or smallie too!

Overall I have no real complaints about the last couple weeks... even if the fish weren't biting the weather has been AMAZING! Can't remember a late July, early August like this in the past!

I've been avoiding Minnetonka lately but I will be back out there on Thursday... I will report back...

Thinking a ipilot motor would really help stay on the weed line. The wind always gives me grief trying to fish the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Deep weedlines have been key lately... and right up tight to the weeds too. If you're not snagging weeds every once in a while then you're not getting as many bites. The fish that were isolated out on humps and rock piles seemed to have moved up tighter to the weeds... this is in reference to bass. Jig worms and drop shots have worked the best, but you can usually pluck one or two off on a crankbait when you first get to the spot.

We've also been punching the milfoil too... the fish are underneath and willing to bite if you can drop a jig in front of their face. Give it two or three quick shakes then reel up and flip into the next pocket... has worked anywhere from 5-10 feet of water...

However, if you just want to catch numbers of fish, and the type of species doesn't matter a whole lot, then troll a #5 Salmo Hornet on the weed line in 12-15 feet and we've been picking up everything that swims! Bass... pike... walleye... crappies... the fish are eating this bait and it's been a great confidence pattern to just put fish in the boat and let my clients eat a sandwich and take a break from casting!

Looks like the weatherman was right too... it's warm out there! I've been running mostly morning trips but if you're out there in the afternoons make sure to slam the water and don't be afraid to jump in the water for a nice cool dip! smile

Hi Matt - I have limited experience using a drop shot rig, having only done it on rock piles in Bay de Noc. When you are fishing them on these weed lines are you casting them out and bringing them back to the boat, or is it more of a vertical jig? Thanks!

I prefer to cast them and work them from short distances. I don't make long casts, but more of a pitch up onto the weed edge. However, when over deeper water I will fish them vertically, but on lakes like Minnetonka you will oftentimes only be fishing in 8-15 feet of water when deploying this tactic and I like to pitch onto the fish instead of sitting on top of them... it's a fun tactic that can really put numbers in the boat during frustrating times/bites...

Lately it's been the crankbait that's been the hot ticket. Run and gun from spot to spot and bomb that crankbait until you grind it over hard bottom... 10-15 feet seems to be important too... right off the edge of an underwater point or deep weed edge. Some of the fish have moved out slightly off the weed line, especially in the last day or so as these temps dropped some... and man is nice to be outside lately! A breath of fresh air after all that heat last week!

We have been hitting the bass hard, focusing mostly on the areas just mentioned above, but we've picked a few up around docks and in slop too... but the deeper bite still seems to be the best bet. Our one-two-punch of throwing a crankbait and following it up with a jig worm seems to be putting a lot of fish in the boat. HOWEVER, if I started to see a pattern develop TODAY I'm thinking we might be punching the milfoil this week a little more wink

Other techniques that have been working are drop shots and shaky worms... more finesse applications. We've even tagged a few in that 5-10 foot range picking off the stragglers with this approach. Seems like a dozen rods are sitting on the casting deck at all times right now, LOL.

I'm exciting to hit the water a handful of times this week... weather is stable and I think the fish are going to really turn on!

Here is a good one that fell victim to a crankbait the other day...

MJbassWL-344x463.jpg

I plan to start with a crankbait again this week but I'm sure the jig worm will get a workout too!

Good luck out there and hopefully everyone had a fun Labor Day weekend!

Deck Talk Episode #30 is now live...

Deck Talk - Episode #30 - Quick Finesse - CLICK HERE

In this episode we discuss quick finesse strategies for summertime fishing. Options for all species during the dog days of summer. So when the fish turn negative or need a little alternative to the norm, here are a few quick tips to put more fish in the boat once the temps turn hot!

Enjoy! smile

Well, the last week or so proved to be an exciting one in many ways... not only for fishing, but amazing company as well! The fish were hit and miss, but I had the opportunity to spend some time with some big hitters! Thursday I was fortunate enough to participate in a Pro-Am with the MN Twins and several MN Wild players to help raise money for cancer. We went out of Lord Fletchers on Lake Minnetonka. I got to take the General Manager of Target Field out in my boat and we brought in a decent weight to the scales but not enough to take home a top 3 finish. Glen Perkins and Brian Duensing put on the event and many of the players and staff showed up. They did a great job raising money for a great cause!! So a big kudos to them!!

Then on Friday I got to participate in another Pro-Am on Lake Minnetonka with Principal Financial to raise money for a charity as well. Another phenomenal group of people who really put on an awesome event! Fishing was definitely tougher on Friday but we still managed a nice bag at the scale to finish in the top third of the field.

As far as the methods used... I got to play around with a few new Mister Twister baits that will be hitting the market hard in the next 6 months... everything from shaky worms to flippin' baits... some very cool stuff! I will snap a few pics on the new baits and get them up here in the near future... definitely worth a look and they've filled a much-needed void in my arsenal!!

That being said, it's been either a jig worm or flippin' bit for me lately... the fish are either tight to the outside weed line or else under the thick mats of milfoil... so get out the tungsten and get ready to punch the weeds! Most of the bigger fish are in the foil and look for areas with hard bottom... 6-10 foot range... keep running until you connect with a school, they are stacked up...

Otherwise the pike are out cruising the weed lines too, same with wind-blown points... spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits... they are crushing whatever crosses their paths!

Looking like a hot day tomorrow then some stable weather to follow... fishing should be consistent for a while any way!! Good luck out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

The weather has been the most interesting factor the last week or so. One day it's hot, the next day it's cold. The mornings have called for long pants and hoodies, even a jacket here and there. Water temps have dropped a little too... which has pushed some fish up shallow again and the bite has actually picked up on a few lakes.

The deep fish are still roaming out there a little, but that 4-10 foot range has really turned on, same with shallow pads and inside edges right away in the morning. Fish have also moved up on top of mainlake structure too, and the good 'ol spinner bait has claimed victim to a lot of fish!

However, our best bite has been from 9am on lately... give the sun a chance to get up and warm things a little. Not sure why, as we still have warm enough water temps to keep fish snapping in the early morning, but it seems to be the pattern nonetheless. So... for those of you who like to sleep in, you might have a good opportunity to get our beauty rest smile

My plan of attack this week... just enjoy some fishing! I have a few clients in the boat who I've been guiding for years and we are setting no expectations... just going to target whatever bites the best! Might be bass... might be panfish... might be pike... just hoping to catch a pile of fish!!!

So, who else has been out the last week or so battling the wind? It looks like more wind is coming our way the next few days too. Whew! The larger panfish are really starting to stack-up on mainlake structure but with 20-30mph wind it makes it tough to feel those finicky fish at times... oh well, guess we'll have to tuck-in and play with the bass that have started to move up on the shorelines more smile

All the complaining aside... we've been doing well on sunfish and crappies lately. A nice change of pace from the constant targeting of bass, walleye and pike. Also nice to see a lot of the larger panfish starting to school up and become more accessible. Metro Area panfish can be a weird breed and you need to take advantage of these windows if you want to catch larger fish. Late summer/early fall has always been good for me for numbers of good-sized fish. Then there is a few week lull and then once the water temps plummet we can find them stacked up again until ice forms. It's funny how that works too, because I have been talking with other fishing friends outside the Metro and they have been whacking the big panfish for the last several weeks... maybe I just need to fish some different lakes smile

I plan to beat up the Chisago Area again this weekend and might even make a trip south towards Prior and/or Spring to check things out too... although I haven't been down there in a few weeks so a little iffy... I would also like to go join some of the guys down near Mankato as I know the bite is picking up down there too...

Overall, the last week or so has been consistent. Nothing crazy but catching fish and having fun. If the wind allows, there are a lot of fish out on mainlake humps and flats. The tight weedline bite has sort of slipped away and most of those fish I've found on the inside weedline or even up against shallow shorelines... which is nice when the wind picks up because we can get away from it.

I plan to work some topwater for bass this week as well as some crankbaits. Plastics will still be rigged on a handful of rods but we'll see what happens. Also plan to focus a lot on the panfish now too... I love chasing big pannies when accessible!

Best of luck to everyone this weekend and stay dry... looks like a little rain might be accompanying the wind on Friday and Saturday...

I plan to spend all day Saturday at Thorne Brothers in Blaine for the Portable Modification Get Together... hopefully see a lot of you there!!

• 2 weeks later...

You would have thought the water temps would have plummeted the last week or so but that's not the case... still holding in the 60's and with the next few days calling for 70+ degrees and sun it will warm things back up a little. I'm ready for this weather to finally just make up its mind! I do know one thing though... the wind can stop soon... I'll take cold and no wind... I'm honestly thinking about putting the boat away soon and just focusing on ice fishing... ok, that thought has passed, the boat will still get plenty of use this season smile

Yes, the weather has not been all too favorable, but the fishing has been steady. A lot of pike more than eager to bite and it's provided a lot of constant action for clients and people looking to put a tug on the end of your line. The bass have been around too, and the top water bite has been picking up. Jigs will really start to turn on again soon, same with crankbaits... lipless crankbaits will catch about everything that swims right now too... walleye, pike, bass, muskie... they are all eating rattle traps. Just cast them and retrieve... heck, you can even troll them and catch fish. A good all-around lure right now.

As far as locations... we've been picking up a good mixed-bag in shallower water, 6' or less. Even some walleyes up there. Weeds are starting to lay down and you can run more baits in these areas. However, we picked a handful of fish up in the channels areas as well as weed lines... lately we've just been finding good-looking spots out of the wind and fishing them, seems like the fish are there, or at least a few good bites.

Plan of attack this week... throw some more top water, spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits... also maybe try for some crappies and even consider breaking out some small/medium suckers for walleyes... the fall bite is starting to pick up!

Good luck out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Deck Talk Episode #31 is now live...

Deck Talk - Episode 31 - Cold Trolling - CLICK HERE

In this episode we discuss a few tools for fall trolling and a neat tool for "hearing" the bite in a variety of situations. The Bulldog Strike Sensor allows you to hear when a fish strikes and will help you put more fish in the boat when trolling!!

Enjoy! smile

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted last. Been all over the place with shows and events and getting ready for another awesome ice fishing season!

As I'm sure most of you know, it's cold outside and we're making ice!! And from the looks of it we're going to keep this ice too... the forecast looks great for ice anglers!! About time we get an early ice fishing season that actually lasts this time!!

That being said, most of the Metro Area lakes are not quite ready yet... give them a few more days before venturing out and please, please error on the side of caution. No need to risk anything for a fish. The ice fishing season will be here for several months and there will be plenty of opportunities to get out on the ice. But from what I've checked things still need a little more time. You might see a few areas where anglers are starting to walk out but my advice would be to wait just a little while longer. If you want fishable/walkable ice then there are opportunities a little further north and I know anglers are getting out already.

However, if you do feel the need to venture out please go with a friend and make sure to bring the proper safety tools... life jacket, picks, ice cleats, chisel, etc...

My plan is to hit the Metro Area ice this Friday and check a handful of lakes... let the fun begin!!

• 1 month later...

Whew... I apologize for the lack of reports... been a whirlwind of a couple months! Safe to say ice fishing season is definitely in full swing and we're having a banner year for Metro Area ice conditions! We've been driving out for a month and fishing has been pretty good. A lot of panfish and pike, some walleye.

I've hit everything from Prior Lake to Rush Lake and quite a few lakes in between. The shallow bite seems to stay consistent all over, with a lot of fish coming from 6-12 feet with weeds presence. You can do well out deeper, but I've found the bigger fish to be holding shallower and in the weeds... hard bottom in the weeds can play an important role at times too.

Run and gun has been the approach, where staying mobile is the only way to constantly catch fish on some bites. Small moves too, which actually makes things odd. Move, move, move... but only make small moves at times. The shallow fish are not making big moves, but sitting in one spot hasn't paid off lately.

As far as baits go... plastics without a doubt. I've been using the Clam Maki Spiiki and Draggi for a good majority of my fish as of late. Rigged on a size 12 Clam Pro Tackle Drop Jig and away we go! If needed, I'll go down to a size 14 in the shallow water if the fish need the extra coaxing.

The main inconsistency so far this season has been the weather, which I'm sure we can all relate to. Just today for example the weather started at 28 degrees at 7:30am then ended up at around 9 degrees when we left the lake around 3pm... seems like the "norm" for this year, LOL.

I plan to hit a handful of different lakes in the next few weeks so I will try and keep everyone updated... hopefully see a bunch more of you on the ice too! Stop by and say hi if you see me out there! Good luck!

Medicine Lake has actually been kicking out some decent fish. Some fish in the weeds out there but a more consistent bite out in 18-23 feet of water. Just another one of those situations where things are not consistent this year.

We found that live bait has actually been a deterrent from catching fish... where going to a plastic instead has drastically increased the catch-rate...

plastic%20hso.jpg

Clam Pro Tackle Drop Jig tipped with a Maki Draggi has been a hot option as of late. Works on both crappies and gills...

gill%20hso.jpg

Not sure why exactly these fish are favoring plastics, but we've proved it on many different situations. We had a live minnow down there without a bump... live maggots without much action... then tie on a plastic and wham! I think they are looking to actually crush a bait instead of be force fed. Only fish we've seen dart up to grab a bait has been those fish chasing the plastic. All the live bait fish rise up, sit and stare, then lower back down. Even aggressively jigging maggots hasn't paid off... definitely a plastics bite right now...

We've played around with a variety of different styles... straight tails, creature baits, minnow tails... and the creature/insect type baits have been out-performing the rest. Tentacles and obscene tactics have triggered these fish lately! I'll take it!!

With the recent cold weather we've seen a decrease in fish activity though, so it's not like the bite is crazy fast... I would imagine a nice flurry of activity on Friday when we hit 30 degrees again, only to go back down into single digits this weekend, LOL...

Good luck out there!

Nice report Matt. I normally fish the sw metro and the bite on waconia and tonka has been pretty good a lot of smaller fish being caught which is normal. We have been seeing nice fish being caught also. All of my nice fish this year have been either in the weeds or very very close to them. I have pretty much stuck to plastics all year I do use live bait on occasion but that occasion is rare. Must be a weird year when your catching nice fish on medicine but the only good fish Ive ever caught out there were in the depth your talking about too otherwise potato chips. Tight lines everybody. Btw if anyone reading this has got a chance most the big lakes in western minnesota are producing some very nice fish this year. Remember they only get big cause the guys before you dont always keep fish as everyone should think about every once in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love the weather in MN! One day it's 30, the next day it's -10! The theme of this season continues to be "inconsistency" as far as I'm concerned. That goes for not only the weather, but fish behavior and locational patterns as well. One day here, next day gone!

The last week or so has presented some challenges in regards to mobility on the ice and staying on top of fish. Mostly due to the weather and cold/wind. Staying hunkered down inside a Fish Trap has been the norm lately. Although it was zero degrees, sunny and no wind on Sunday and it felt darn good outside... enough to run around on the ice instead of inside a shack... amazing how we've become acclimated to the cold so when it's 0 and no wind we think it's warm!! smile

With the limitations on mobility, I've looked to specific structural spots, where I can sit in one spot longer and increase our percentages of catching (and staying) on fish. Abrupt inside turns... isolated rock piles... depressions... spots that attract fish more and don't rely on migrating fish. Deep basins usually hold a lot of roaming fish where they just circle, I've been honing in on spots where fish are more apt to just stay put. We've still had to move a handful of times everyday, but we've been limited on the "hole-hopping" bite on some occasions.

Another big key to keeping fish in an area is to drop down a minnow. I don't care if the fish are not biting minnows, I'm just using this as an attractor to help keep fish in the area, and interested. A fleeing minnow draws fish in and with oftentimes keep them there. Same with a set of Reel Weeds... which have been getting a workout lately too! If you're going to sit and put, then you might as well increase your odds.

Weed fish have also been important. Finding the green weeds has helped, especially with the ice thickness and lower light levels below the ice. The shallows are being "pressed" and the fish are feeling that. Green weeds have been a critical part of the equation for many of my recent bites. Finding pockets and/or depressions in the green weeds have been gold lately too... one of those spots I've been sitting on when the weather turns cold and mobility is decreased.

I've played around with the deeper holes a little, but I've seen a big influx of smaller fish out there lately. A lot of wheelhouses staging themselves in these deeper holes and the pressure in those areas is definitely picking up. More wheelhouses on the ice this year as well. Either punch around the out-skirting areas on these spots or just leave them alone... unless you're one of the wheelhouses then get inside and cozy-up smile

As far as presentations go... plastics continue to do well but maggots have been used quite often once we step into that sit-and-put mode. Size 12 and 14 Clam Drop jigs tipped with two maggots has claimed victim to a lot of fish lately. We've also cut down a variety of plastics to finesse some of these fish too. Fish become more wary of the offering so finesse tactics definitely come into play. Line watching and/or spring bobbers have been important--and necessary.

As far as future predictions... it looks like the weather might warm up a little (for highs) otherwise we can expect a good shot at below zero temps for lows throughout the next week or so. My advice... grab a lake map or pull out the GPS and plan a few productive spots before you hit the ice. Look for promising spots where you might be able to hunker down and target some fish, at least for the early morning hours. Then once the afternoon sun gets out you can play the mobility game and chase them fish down!!

Hey Matt, thinking about hitting up Prior Lake this weekend. Any advice for us? Hoping to catch some 'eyes or crappies. Depths? Rocks? Any advice would be helpful! It's been tough with this cold weather this year. I've never fished this lake, always tried to avoid the crowd.

Hey Matt, thinking about hitting up Prior Lake this weekend. Any advice for us? Hoping to catch some 'eyes or crappies. Depths? Rocks? Any advice would be helpful! It's been tough with this cold weather this year. I've never fished this lake, always tried to avoid the crowd.

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Did you make it out? How did it go?

The weather continues to play a role in fishing, but that only refers to one aspect... even though the mobility portion is limited, the bite is actually heating up. We've been finding a much more consistent bite lately and I believe the fish are finally getting acclimated to the weather! LOL

Hunkering down in the weed pockets continue to produce fish, both sunfish and crappies. A bunch of panfish still holding out in the deeper holes too and that seems to be where a lot of the fishing traffic has been. I've also been fishing a few shallower lakes where the basin tops out at 17-18 feet and the fish are just roaming those depths. I've found a few depressions and/or humps and the fish have been holding to those areas (or at least cycling through must faster).

A few walleyes have been coming off the initial breaks, namely that 13-18 foot mark (nighttime). We haven't really targeted pike lately, but had a couple smaller fish tag our panfish jigs. I've seen a lot of anglers plunking away with tip-ups and from the looks of things there have been a lot of flags going up, so there are some opportunities for pike.

However, the trick lately has been big panfish near the weeds. And when I say "near" the weeds I mean right next to them. I've been punching holes over shallower weed flats and once I find the THICK vegetation I back off to that weed line where things begin to sparse out. I've noticed a lot of fish holding on that immediate edge and those fish seem to be bigger. They also cycle through pretty fast in these spots too so you can sit still for a while. It's been pretty consistent on a few different lakes. Oh, and it can be a night bite too... so you don't have to mess with the "crowds" out in deeper water smile

MJ%20night%20crappie.jpg

Overall the bite has been decent lately. I think once we get this warm-up this weekend things will really take off. Finally some weather we can enjoy being outside in!! Good luck out there!!

Thanks for all the great posts Matt! I noticed you often refer to the weed edges and weed pockets. What is the best way to find these areas? Do you punch a lot of holes until you find the weeds? Thanks!

Thanks for all the great posts Matt! I noticed you often refer to the weed edges and weed pockets. What is the best way to find these areas? Do you punch a lot of holes until you find the weeds? Thanks!

Unfortunately the only way at times is to just punch a ton of holes and follow where things change on your Vexilar. An underwater camera works well too, as you can pan around and see what's going on. I'm also a big fan of checking things out in the boat in the fall and waypointing a handful of pockets and weed lines. However, oftentimes it's the work you put in on the ice that determines those spots...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some warm weather recently, which made things a lot easier for hole hopping and staying on top of fish. I'm not sure if the fish activity level really changed much, but having the ability to move more turned the days into more successful fishing trips. Now instead of hunkering down over likely structure (because of below zero temps) we could actually run and gun covering a larger spread of holes. Made for chasing those pods of fish a lot easier and the end result meant more fish on the ice.

Tactics continued to stay the same. Weed orientated fish were still important. Most of the bites recently have been in and/or around weeds. I ventured into some deeper water but ended up back in the weeds fairly quick. Just seems like the bigger fish are relating to the weeds, at least in the Metro Area. Pockets in the weeds... depressions amongst expansive weed beds... weed lines... seems like the common variable is weeds in some fashion.

I've also been playing around with more natural colors for presentations. The glow reds still have their place, don't get me wrong, but the more natural motoroil, browns and even blacks have caught a lot of fish lately in the weeds. Seems like I'm getting more "biters" when using natural colors instead of the brighter, glow colors. This is in reference to a daytime bite too. The nighttime bite has continued to demand a glow offering. So number 12 or 10 size jigs tipped with a plastic and sometimes a maggot or two, has done the trick.

One important tip for these weed fish... make sure to fish the ENTIRE water column, especially in shallower water. I know it's hard to not plummet your jig down to the level where the fish are at, but I encourage you to feather it down the entire water column. I've caught SO MANY fish right below the ice lately, even is 10-13 feet of water. If you scream your jig past the upper-third of the water column then you might be missing some valuable opportunities to catch some decent fish. All of my better crappies as of late have come within 3-5 feet below the ice in 8-10 feet of water. If you drop down to the bottom then you won't catch those fish.

Otherwise it looks like mother nature gave us another blast of winter. The warm weather was great for a while, now we have an nice blanket of snow over the entire area again and temps are going to drop for the next week... gotta love MN!!!

For those who venture out there, please be safe. If you plan to drive off the plowed roads then bring a tow strap and fish with a buddy (two trucks smile ). Have fun and good luck!