• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Food recommendations

ClownColor

The diamond naturals stuff looks good on the ingredient list and as you've all seen here, there are many satisfied customers, however with having 2 very extensive and large recalls on their feed in the past few years, I'd be very concerned about their quality control. It would be too bad if you're feeding their brand and one of your dogs is the first few to come down with an illness before the recall comes out. I personally know the value of my dogs, both as part of my family and monetarily, and there's no way I'd risk it with that company's history. It's not worth saving a few bucks on each bag of feed.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• pureinsanity

• ClownColor

• deerminator

many people have their favorite and stick with them. recalls happen once in awhile to all products, even human foods. naturaly when a recall occurs, pet owners check their product they have and the code and the dates. i believe even this current recall was recalled for "a possibility" of salmonela. good companies recall the product wheather there is a possibility or a definate contamination issue.

good luck.

Gotta be 15 years or so now that I switched away from Diamond due to dog blowing her coat. Ended up being a recall back then with many dead dogs but the info was much slower to get out. Track record is pretty much the same since. Recall and dead dogs every few years or so. No way I'd risk my hounds to that company.

Recalls may happen to all products but they don't happen to all manufacturers.

I could not find any recalls for Fromm foods and they have been in the pet food business since 1904. That's a long track record.

My Brittany does well on PMI Red Flannel feed, which is a farm and fleet brand of dog feed. $25 for a 40 pound bag. Lots of opinions out there, mine is let the dog tell you what works for them and I don't see a need to spend the cash for the trendy feeds.

How about going the natural way and feed raw? I am feeding my american bulldog 100% raw meat: chicken, turkey, pork, beef, lamb, bison, deer, squirrels, rabbits, etc. He's doing great, no to little doggy odor, less shedding, no brushing teeth, no doggy breath, his stools doesn't smell, stools in the yard turn into powder in couple days, etc.

we feed blue buffalo. recalls are like food recalls for us, they happen it is part of the same food chain so it will occur. If you know your dogs habits, you can tell when something is up

I feed my pitbull the natural way. I do have a pitbull, but hes as gentle as my lab, and a great dog. He does like beer though...

we feed blue buffalo. recalls are like food recalls for us, they happen it is part of the same food chain so it will occur. If you know your dogs habits, you can tell when something is up

Blue Buffalo is another excellent, high-quality dog food...

We are in the process of switching to blue buffalo wilderness from diamond naturals lamb.

Besides the recall on diamond, our dog always has loose stools on it. Not sure if the food is the problem, but we will see.

same recall, added Diamond puppy to the list. None appear to be sold in MN or WI.

from MSNBC:

Quote:
Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling a third type of dry dog food because of salmonella concerns.

Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal and Rice Formula dry dog food and Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food has been sold in 12 states, including Maryland.

The company said the plant where the product is manufactured is the same plant that made food contaminated with mold, which killed dozens of dogs nationwide in 2005.

No dog illnesses have been reported from this product to date.

The company said the following products with the specific production and "Best Before" codes be discarded.

Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal and Rice Formula dry dog food:

6lb - DLR0101D3XALW, "Best Before" Date 04 Jan 2013 
 20lb - DLR0101C31XAG, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013 
40lb - DLR0101C31XMF, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013 
40lb - DLR0101C31XAG, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013 
40lb - DLR0101D32XMS, "Best Before" Date 04 Jan 2013

Advertise | AdChoicesAdvertise | AdChoicesAdvertise | AdChoices

.These batches were distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.

Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food:

6oz Samples – DPP0401 
8 lb – DPP0401B2XALW, "Best Before" Date 07 Apr 2013 
20 lb – DPP0101C31XRB, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
20 lb – DPP0101C31XME, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
20 lb – DPP0401B22XJW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0101C31XME, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
40 lb – DPP0401B22XJW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0401A21XAW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0401B21XDJ, "Best Before" Date 07 Apr 2013

These batches were distributed in Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee and Virginia.

Questions?

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, can call Diamond Pet Foods at 800-442-0402.

Diamond is being recalled for Salmonella right? Isn't everybody who does the raw diet exposing their dog to the same thing? My dogs have ate everything from feces to dead animals to garbage. I wouldn't think Salmonella would affect them that much. That being said, I would rather feed my pup quality food not contaminated with Salmonella if given a choice.

As an update, we fully switched our dog from diamond natural lamb to blue buffalo wilderness checking. Her [PoorWordUsage] are now much smaller and firm. They are a breeze to pick up when compared to the half pudding we would get with the diamond.

I just looked at the recall info for Diamond. I didn't realize all of the foods that Diamond makes which include Taste of the Wild which is what I feed my dog.

The recalled food wasn't directly distributed to MN but it could have still made it here through secondary distribution (a pet food chain buys it and then distributes it to their stores on their own).

Its probably worth looking into, I know I'll check the bag at home just in case.

Also the recall didn't stem from sick dogs the way it sounds, it stemed from sick humans that came in contact with the food or with a dog that had eaten the food.

i dont have any problems with Diamond products. went to Fleet Farm today and got some more. talked to the guy there stocking the products and it seems the same is being sold as always [little more now since there is a sale on some of the bags]. recalls happen. my chocolate lab is doing just fine. good stools and shinny coat and clean teeth and the vet says she's doing fine. not being an expert on dogs i think dogs just are different and react different to brands of food. we all want the best for our pets and feed them what works the best. good luck.

I went to the local store today and picked up another bag of Diamond Naturals Chicken. 40 pound bag on sale for $27.49

I picked up another two 40 lb bags of Diamond dog food for $19.99 a bag at Fleet Farm this week. Has been working great for my two Beagles.

Remy gets Purina Pro Plan High Performance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it wink

• 2 weeks later...

If you're feeding Diamond products, make sure the check into their recent recall. Their last recall killed hundreds of dogs.

This recall is for the Naturals Lamb formula so I'd get your dog off it as soon as possible.

http://www.huliq.com/10473/diamond-naturals-dog-food-recalled-possible-salmonella-contamination

i've read the past recall notice's because i feed my dog Diamond products. i have seen no reports of dog's that have died. even in the article that was provided by the poster it said "so far there have been no reports of illness". it is also a precautionary recall. so far this product does very well for my dog and i will continue using it. recalls happen with a lot of products, just have to be aware and informed and take actions as needed [if needed]. good luck.

My girl eats the Nutro Natural Choice, Lamb Meal & Rice Formula.

Very good luck, beautiful dark coat (Chocolate Lab).

Neutro has quite a few formulas to match up with you, but they also have a 'High Energy' formula for the fall hunting season- real happy with the line.

Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall

Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food

Production Code 0801 Due to Small Potential for Salmonella Contamination

Consumer Contact: 866-918-8756

Media Contact: 816-255-1974

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – May 18, 2012

Diamond Pet Foods is expanding a voluntary recall to include its Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula dry dog food manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 due to potential exposure to Salmonella. No illnesses have been reported. The product was distributed in the following states: Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. Further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred.

Pet owners may call toll-free at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 am – 6 pm EST. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

The product is Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula. Only samples, 6 pound and 18 pound bag sizes are affected.

Production Code & Best Before Date

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 27-Sept- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, and packaged on Sept. 27)

DSL0801, 18-Oct- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, and packaged on Oct. 18)

DSL08001, (Samples)

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Strike 3???

At some point you have to ask yourself what kind of quality control do they have over there!

You also have to ask yourself: at what point to I give up on brand loyalty and switch to something else? This is a different production plant from the earlier recalls that this latest recall came out of; Missouri this time.

yeah this really has me 2nd guessing my choice to continue feeding diamond.

I have fed Diamond Naturals for years... Cannidae prior to that... so that would still be on the list.

Pet foods produced by Diamond:

Solid Gold

Canidae/Felidae

Natural Balance

Kirkland (Costco Brand)

Chicken Soup

Taste of the Wild

4-Health (Tractor Supply Brand)

At the moment I am feeding Precise Holistic as my Sister's friend is a distrubutor and he had 4 bags he donated to her silent auction... got them for 15-20 bucks a bag... Just opened the last bag. I will most likely go back to Diamond as it is for the most part not associated with the factory that produces our food and the dates were from last Winter throuh March.

Good Luck!

Ken

I think Diamond is a good value and I had one of my dogs on it. My newer dog didn't do so well on it and I switched them both to Taste of the Wild. That seems to be working ok.