• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

mnguy, it is the original muzzy.

Have to agree with stick on the bucks and movement. gonna take some colder weather. Ive stayed out of my 2 best Buck spots all season. Cant wait for end of october to get here.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• goblueM

• james_walleye

• Archerysniper

I sat on Saturday night and saw about a 140 with a 125 come out about 40 minutes before dark. I keep seeing this deer but cannot get on him. I got permission from the landowner where ive seen him 3 times in the last week. I got in with the perfect wind and set up a killer stand. I sat last night but with those 80 degree temps nothing moved. Its SO DRY i hope a lot of my scent didnt stick from putting that stand up. Its in an evergreen slope between corn and beans. I will kill one there!

IMO you have a few days before those bigger bucks get very hard to kill, and now with this [PoorWordUsage] weather it aint gonna make it easier. They will probably go nocturnal until Halloween. THen the real fun begins! Hope you all get what you're after!

Well got the meat in the freezer now so all is good in that department. She was a nice doe that went about 200 yards and piled up. Shot her in the last light we had and found blood after about 30 yards. Looked for more and it started turning off so I backed out until the morning. Found her about 8:00 sunday morning about another 100 yards from were I left off the night before.

I got her in Red Wing and traveled to Zimmerman with her packed in ice. I was a little worried about the meat but I got it all deboned and it looks real tasty and smells fine too. First time I have ever left one overnight so it was all new to me as far as what would happen to the meat.

I beleive she died rather quickly so she layed there all night. I was most worried about the yotes finding her before i did. Good memories in the woods.

Take care and good luck out there on your personel goals.

Sat in a new stand last night. Saw 8 deer, 4 of which were yearling bucks. Heard antlers tickling right before dark and 3 jokers came out and started sparring out in front of me. Should have a few pictures as they were in front of one of the cameras. One of the neighbors zipped an arrow through this fella last weekend. I've got a bunch of trail cam pics I need to give him. Are they actually forecasting 90 degress tomorrow? I must have my calendar turned to the wrong month...

full-9397-12769-1(163).jpg

Kind of funny SNS you say they may be on your trail cam. I got a picture of the doe I shot on the trail cam just before I shot her. Then as she was running away the cam got another pic of her with the arrow in her buried up to the fletching. Not a real clear pic but intresting non the less. Took one pic of her coming in and then three minuts later the other with the shot. I would post it but I left the camera out in the woods yet. Bet I never have that happen again in my future years of hunting.

Quote:
... Bet I never have that happen again in my future years of hunting.

Probably a once in a lifetime event, I agree. Definitely post up the pics when you get them!

Went out hunting last night, was walking to my stand at about 5:40, thinking deer wouldn't be moving with the heat until sundown, as I approached my stand, there was a doe underneath it!!! As luck would have it, she was the only deer I saw last night!

This past Saturday morning I had the pleasure of sitting in the bow stand with my 13 year old son and watch him take his first deer with a bow. It was the 3rd time we had been out bow hunting this year. We have seen deer but none of them ever came close enough for a shot.

He has been practicing everday for a couple of months now and really, really wanted to shoot a deer, so I gave him the OK to shoot any deer, even a fawn, if it gave him a good shot.

We had only been in the stand for about 35 minutes and hadn't seen anything when this fawn came running right under the stand behind us and stops. I tell him to get his bow, but just as he is reaching for it, she looks up at us. Stare down!

Finally she starts walking thru some brush, which gives him a chance to grab his bow and pull it back. Problem is, he can't pull it back. The deer catches the movement and its another stare down. The deer starts walking again and he finally gets the bow fully drawn. By this time the deer is 10 yards, almost directly under us. He shoots and the arrow goes right over its back.

The deer runs about 30 yards and stops and looks back at us. I tell him to get another arrow. Then the deer starts walking broadside and he is able to get the arrow knocked and pulls back again. I can't believe he is going to get another shot. The deer stops broadside at 25 yards, (we had ranged that exact spot earlier) He lets the arrow fly and it hits perfect behind the shoulder. The deer kicks its back legs up and takes off running into the brush. I can't believe what just happened. I give him a big hug and congratulate him, because it looked like a perfect shot.

We wait 30 minutes just in case, and climb down. We find the arrow stuck in the ground, covered in blood, with lots of blood sprayed on the leaves. The G5 striker broadhead did its job, despite his bow only been set at 45 lbs. We followed the blood trail about 50 yards and there was his deer. The arrow had gone thru both lungs, a shoulder blade, and nicked the top of the heart.

I was more excited then if I had shot it and the smile on his face was priceless.

We cut up the meat together that evening and had fresh backstrap on the grill for supper. That was the best venison I think I have ever tasted and I'm sure my son would agree with me. wink

full-1027-12815-peters1stdeerwbow.jpg

Here is my son with his first bow kill. I had my wife send me the photo from her phone. full-1027-12823-downsize2.jpg

Nels

Heck yeah - that's what it's all about right there! Congrats to you and your son Nels! I can't wait until I'm able to share that with my kids.

Went out last night for the first time. I hunted a new piece of land I just got permission for and sat on a field edge. I don't normally hunt edges like this but there are an unbelievable amount of trails in the woods and I was hoping to narrow choices for stand sites. Had around 15 does and fawn come out of the woods 200 yards across from me and feed. Had a spike and fawn come out downwind of me and feed to about 30 yards. The spike had some kind of a death wish. After finally winding me he walked away and came back 4 different times. He had spikes about 12-14 inches long and they curved forward. It looked like a basket 6 with no tines on it. First one I've seen like that. It was a fun first time out. I was hoping to see where his older brothers were moving and even though I saw them out there earlier in the week they didn't show.

The gf and i made it out saturday morning on some public land, didnt hunt long lots of duck hunters shooting near us all morning, and when we decided to pack up cause it was a waste there was a guy standing in the middle of the field we were in about 100 yards out.

Went Friday morning after work. Walking to my stand about 6am, probably about 40 yards away, I hear a deer snort and take off into the woods. Around 615a, I hear a deer coming through the woods right at me. Wanders around my stand, then takes off. Could just see its outline, still not sure what it was. Around 8, I decide its about time to get down, gotta get some sleep. I decide to click the antlers together before getting down. Not 30 seconds after a few ticks, I have a small 8 coming on a dead run to me. Stops 10 yards away, and you can tell is looking for those "bucks" fighting. Doesn't see anything, so he starts to much on some acorns. About 10 mins later a fawn comes out of the woods. The buck see the deer, probably still thinking about the rattling he hears and starts to head towards the fawn, antlers down, swaying back and forth. Finally realizing its a fawn he backs off and disappears back into the woods. Pretty cool moring, first buck I've can say I rattled in for sure. Still holding out for the big boys!!

Went out yesterday and decided to set up on a ground stand a few rows into a corn field, its in kind of a funnel with clover planted with no trees around, plus the way the corn is going out, that spot won't be available for long. Nice evening, little breeze to keep me cool, watching the sun filtering thru the trees, watching the sun go down, saw some deer ears thru the brush. Pretty soon a fawn feeds out into the open about 30 yards, grazing like a cow. Then he starts walking toward me - but then he spots me, guess I broke down too much corn to make shooting lanes. Then the doe comes walking around the brush, at first she wasn't concerned but then she saw the fawn acting up and picked me out. She sat there for five minutes snorting, stomping her front feet, pacing toward me, running away, then pacing and stomping toward me. At one point she was within 15 yards! Eventully she ran back the way she came. Never saw another deer.

Picked the right spot but wrong execution.

went out last night and got busted by a really big buck - my stand is in some thick cover within sight of a couple rubs and scrapes - but he crossed the logging road at a point I wasn't expecting, and the truck was parked right there. He didn't like it. 3 loud snorts and he was gone

Went out to another spot tonight and was just about ready to climb down when 4 does and a spike appeared like magic under my stand. Got to love that last 5 minutes of shooting light... I shot a smaller doe and she went maybe 25 yards, cartwheeled, and keeled over. Man those muzzy's are solid.

My dad and I where out last night and didnt see a darn thing moving. i did pull the trail cam from by my stand, One shooter buck and a few does and smaller bucks and one yote. SO there still there.

I just pluged in the smoker to start preparing some jerky while im out this am grin

Things have returned to normal in my area. After seeing deer 9 out of my first 10 sits, I've since gone 0-4. Too much good food on surrounding properties right now. As much as I'd love to see the corn stay through gun season, I wouldn't mind them picking it early to get some action!

I was hoping for a doe last night but had a little 6 point in front of me for over a hour last night. Little guy bedded down and took nap for a while then got up and decided feed under my tree. I had to chase him away to get out of there at dark, hopefully I gave him a little education before the rifle season.