• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

Got the first one for the freezer tonight. Nice mature doe. They started moving around 6:15 had at least 5 come through took the largest one. She was already dry so Im glad about that.

Seen one of my pontential shooters on staurday evening crossing my food plot at 100 yards. Other than him was a slow weekened for me . Only hunted evenings.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• goblueM

• james_walleye

• Archerysniper

Had a young Doe step out at 35 yards tonight and ended up closing the distance to 8 yards before I decided to let her walk, seemed really young and the head was more square than oblong. It was kind of hard to decide when they walk in by themselves, there is nothing to compare to.

About an hour later had a little 6 pointer walk in and closed down to about 15 yards. I have my eye on a couple other bucks and this one will be bigger next year. He stuck around until the end of shooting light, it was a great night on stand.

Sat last eve and had two does come out and skirt past me at about 60 yards, four little bucks, 3 of which wakled by at 20 yards. One was real cool looking already, he was only a fork, but his bases were as big around as golf balls and were about 11" tall with probably 2 or three stickers growing out of each one... Only a 1-1/2 y/o... Like to see him in a coupl years..or his dad right now.

I sat out last night and the night before and didn't see much action at all. I saw a fox attack a woodchuck and take him down which was pretty flippin cool if you ask me.

The first night I sat along a good trail to a beanfield but didn't see anything come by until it was past decent shooting light

Last night I had a doe and a fawn come by right away but I let them pass and didn't see anything after that. I should have just taken her, I drew back on her for practice but didn't let it fly. A deer meat sandwich sounds good about right now lol.

Hunted in WI Saturday with my brother-in-law. Had a nice doe & fawns appear in the backyard I was hunting the edge of. The doe was closest at about 50 yards & not clear. She was clear later at 60, but that's about double what I intend to shoot. Didn't see any deer that evening, try a ground spot where pretty much anything I'd have seen would have been in range.

Went to the Vikes game on Sunday, waste of time, but my son thought it was great. Fixed the broken spindle on the tractor last night. Probably going to be Friday before I get out again.

went out last night. got into the stand around 6 pm. i was sitting over a bean field with a oak forest behind me.

at 7:00 two deer appeared about 100 yds down the field from me. i glassed them and it was a 2 year old 8 pt and a spike buck. they began to feed away from me when a female fawn hopped the fence and fed at 5 yds from me. waited about 20 mins, no doe ever appeared. the bucks are now about 200 yds away. i decided to put some good meat on the table and whacked the fawn at 10yds. ate the inside tenders tonight. almost like candy, but a little a better. nice to have the first meat in the freezer!!

Hunted Saturday morning by myself and the morning began with two samll bucks walking within fifteen yards right past my stand. Then a fawn came in and hung around my stand for probably an hour just picking through the woods for food. Around eight thirty a nice big doe is walking right down the trail heading for one of my shooting lanes. She stops ten feet short slowly turns around and heads back the way she came from. A pretty good first sit if you ask me. Saturday evening my wife joined me for her first time ever bow hunting. We were set up a hundred yards apart on the same well travelled deer trail. Right away a forky walks right past me and I just watch as it heads straight to where my wife is sitting. A half hour or so later I hear something approaching from behind me and it's a big doe. She steps out into one of my lanes and I let an arrow fly and believe I made a great shot. The odd thing is she runs twenty yards stops and slowly walks into the woods. A half hour later I get a call from my ecstatic wife saying she just shot a nice doe. I meet her by her stand and am excited myself because I'm also pretty sure I shot a good doe as well. Turns out the forky walked right by her but she got buck fever and shot right over his back. We track her doe and find it laying 50 yards away exchange hugs and high fives and get on the trail of my deer. Mine ran only twenty yards, she was laying ten feet in the woods where I saw her enter. I hunt with my bow for two years and don't even get a shot at something and she sits for three hours for her very first time and gets two shot opportunities connecting on one. Haha she sure is lucky. An awesome way to begin the hunting season with my Wifes first deer with a bow and our first double.

MN Angler

Great story and congrats on the double, give your wife a hell yea from me.

I am waiting for my wife to arrow one, she has had chances, but not hit home with an arrow yet.

I can't wait!

Wow - what a hunt for her first and a tandem double besides! Congrats to the both of you - you may have to bring her along more often! smile

Awesome stories so far, love the double, lets see some pics. Pretty jacked that there is already a buck on here. We just had a new baby so I am buying my time to get out there, this thread is as close as it gets. Probably be another couple of weeds before I can hit the stand. I am ready to go though. Keep the reports coming.

Last saturday after working on my fish house I finally get to the farm where i'me going to hunt only to find about 25 people in the yard playing horse shoes, barg-b-queing, etc. and kids running around like crazy! And this is about 5pm so we went to our stands anyways only to listen to the little party going on and seeing no deer. Oh well, can't complain to anybody when it's not your land to hunt! crazy

I hunted last night for the second time so far. I have no oaks around so I opted for a mid-section secluded beanfield (a big one). Any way it was calm and cool and as the sun got lower the deer really moved. I had hoped there would be some greenery left to ther beans so they would be on them, and they were. Doe, doe, doe, doe,and with about 40 minutes of light remaining a doe RAN from the wood line out into the beans 100yards out. Immidiatle after about a 135-145" 4 1/2yr old heavy 5x4 charged out after her. Next a 2 1/2 came our after the comotion and submissivly came nose to nose with the big buck. I had a little prayer that biggie would come my way. The doe left and those two bucks stood there and watched the other deer in the field for 20 minutes. As night set in he just slowly made his way across the field.

It was nice to watch a big buck like that with the sun shining on his antlers. Its always interesting to witness a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old side by side as well. Racks aside, it was like a clydesdale and a pony. Also this buck had a double mainbeam last year and now hes a "clean" 9 point. Ive only got one picture of him this year and now here he is? You just never know what there going to do or why!

Great evening! wink Good luck everyone!

Well I hit the ol' beanfield again last night, I couldn't pass up sitting out in such awesome autumn weather. I got to my stand and set up at around 6:00. I didn't see much but the neighboring property owners were moving their cattle and boy that was loud for about an hour!

Right when the sun start hitting the trees I caught movement through the maples and basswood, The same doe and fawn were sneaking their way out in to the beanfield and it looked as though they were going to cut right through my shooting lane.

20 yards, the Spitfire did it's job flawlessly!

Well, I'll be eating good this weekend needless to say!!

Sounds like a great night slim! Congrats on the fresh backstraps leech! I need the wind to get back out of the south so I can go back to my beanfield stand. They're the only green beans around and the days are numbered! I sat last night in the stand I shot my buck out of last year. Had a doe pass by early on - licked salt for a few minutes. 30 min later I hear a stick break and I turn and see the rear third of a big bodied deer walk by at 40 yds. No way to tell what it was. 10 min later, small yearling doe sneaks in to 12 yds. She had my scent but couldn't pinpoint me...walked half circles around me for 15+ minutes! With that bigger deer around, I didn't want to drop the string. The freezer's been unplugged for months and begging for use. It's just too easy not to shoot. I guess I lack the killer instinct! smile

I only hunted Sat evening from 5:00 - 7:30. I saw a doe and a fawn on the way in. In the stand I had a doe and fawn walk by me at 10 yards, a 3pt (spike/fork) go by at 20 yards, then a basket 6 and and two lone does. I passed on them all, just great to be out. I have seen 2 nicer bucks a few times, so waiting on one of them.

sat tonight from 4 until dark. Saw 4 groundhogs in the hayfield, then 2 does and 3 fawns came out 100 yards away in the field. Was sure they were coming my way (urban archery, was going to take a doe).

One of the does humped the other, then they bedded down. Next door neighbor pulls up in the driveway 150 yards away, proceeds to make a racket. They got up and left going the other way, never saw a thing after that. SO it goes hunting in suburbia...

Threw a little natural ground blind together last night and had a cute little 8 pointer walk up to me at 7 yards. I just couldn't pull the trigger on him though.

However, my patience is wearing thin. I've been bowhunting 6 years now and have yet to shoot my first deer. I've been waiting for a wall hanger but I'm getting to the point where I just want to get one under my belt.

LMAO! grin

I'm patient and stubborn. Probably not the greatest combo. It's wearing on me though.

I've always got the gun season and I've shot more than my fair share of deer in my life. If I could legally shoot more than one deer in this area it wouldn't be a difficult choice. I think I just need to get the word trophy out of my head when it comes to an archery deer. For now anyway.

Sat out tonight for a few hours. Was setup in a tree on a little ridge, in a pinchpoint between a swamp and corn field to my back. Saw one lil doe about 5, was skirting the end of the swamp. That was it for stand. On the way home, there was 3 does and 2 fawns standing out in the alfalfa field. Not a bad night for the first time out this year.

koonie you hit the nail on the head. One of the toughest parts about bow hunting is getting that first one. My first bow deer was a button buck. I didn't know it at the time or I would've passed, but the more times you pass the harder it makes it to shoot one when you've got the one you want.

Shot a doe at 30 yards broadside had complete pass thru thought I hit her right behind shoulder. I even told my son that will be a easy track waited a half hour and climbed down found the arrow and was shocked not much blood on arrow the fletching was almost clean but the broadhead and arrow shaft had blood, hair and fat and I couldn't find blood for the longest time finely found some quite a bit away from where I shot her and it was real high on leaves and the blood was real thick and dark the size of a dime and that was it so I waited till morning had my son come with I had him stand where I found blood last and I kept making circles around him I never found her just makes me sick I obviously must of not hit her behind shoulder other than that we seen 3 spikes sparring 2 other does and a 8 pointer was a good night except for that

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well it was a nice weekend on the Bow stand weather wise. Had a 158 pic's on the trail cam with a few nice Buck's all coming out at night. I only seen one Doe on the stand on Sat and had a pack of 8 T-Wolves come running through on both sides of my stand on Sunday! I thought they were Yot's at first until the two large black ones came by at the end. And No I didn't "pop" them as I was already asked twice at the gas station up there! wink

Was out sunday morning for a few hours before church. Had a doe and fawn milling around me stand for about a half hour. as close as 3 yards but I am only after big guy right now. Fun to see.....

Hunted Grand Rapids area Saturday and Sunday. Wolves were howling close by both nights and it didn't look like deer have been hanging out near my camper like they usually do.

I went out to my favorite afternoon stand on Saturday and the wind had blown down my tree. Luckily it fell straight backwards and my double ladder stand was facing the sky and completly undamaged.

Put a total of about 10 hours of seat time in and only saw three tails crash through after the neighbors drove by (grouse hunting) on their four wheeler. I had the wind in my favor and their likely crossing point nailed.

I didn't bump many deer walking around but there were grouse aplently. It was a nice weekend to be in the woods.

Sat on saturday night had nothing thinking the ducking hunting activty might had made them move out . Found out on sunday morning that there was duck hunters in the puddle next to the woods oh well. last year they did the same thing but quit hunting it after the second weekend and the deer came back.Well maybe next weekend i be lucky.