• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

Awesome Buck Slim! Can't compare to that, but had been putting off stickin something early unless special. Then 2 nights ago the gf talked me into shooting a nice doe if one came by.. Long story short she fell asleep and wouldn't wake when two deer were in field at 6pm Sunday and never came in close to give me a shot.

She tried coming out last night, but due to an internship she couldn't make it in time. Just before 6:30 two nice 1 1/2yr does came through at 15 yards and I dropped the second in it's tracks. Nice management doe, and on the board for the season! Hopefully will fill my buck tag this weekend, and do some party hunting during the week/2ndweekend with the gf, brother and niece. Good Luck All.

-BM

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• goblueM

• james_walleye

• Archerysniper

Holy [PoorWordUsage] slim.. that thing is huge! Get that picture in it's own thread so no one misses it and let's hear the story!!

Heart break city for me this morning. I haven't seen a deer in shooting hours in the last 5 sits but I know it has to turn around. By about 8:30 it's still been nothing and I'm getting a little frustrated. At 8:45 I see movement at a big scrape about 30 yards away. I lean over to get a better view and sure enough, it's a good buck. It looks to be a 10 pt with good tine length and pretty decent mass. He messes around at the scrape for a bit and then starts heading my way. He will either come out 15 yards in front of me or over my right shoulder at about 10 yards. This stand is between two trees and they are tight enough that to swing my bow over to the right side I have to tilt the bow so the arrow is straight up and down which means it can get a little tricky. He commits to coming out over my right shoulder and I've got the bow over there and ready. I look back at my safety strap and think.. hmm, it seems to not be in the right spot and might inhibit my draw but I know I tested that shooting lane the other day and it was fine so I don't change anything. He gets out of the buckthorn at 10 yards and is going to walk behind two large trees, giving me plenty of time to draw. I start my draw and panic sets in. I can't get to full draw!! I try different angles, you name it but I can't do it. I frantically try to unhook the strap but can't do that either. This whole time he's standing behind the two trees and likely can't see me. I try a much steeper draw angle and as I do that the arrow falls harmlessly to the ground. He bounds off a few steps and walks away. I get a knot in my stomach the size of a basketball and try to use a grunt to bring him back but obviously that doesn't work.

After I hear him walk away I go over what happened and remember that when I turn that way I have to put my right arm over the strap and hold it down and then I can easily draw. I had just gone dumb and forgotten that in this situation. I had practiced it a week or so before but had just forgotten. I usually go over every draw angle each time I get up into a stand but hadn't done it this morning and it cost me. It reminded me of that saying... Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet and I didn't do my part in the preparation.

Hes over 210 gross, should NET Boone!?!?!?! Scored him pretty rough with lots of people around so it was sloppy but I think I was close. Theres a lot of grey areas on these NT where I really need a 2nd opinion..... I dont care either way, im just on top of the world! Ive screwed up on a lot of nice deer, and none of that hurts quite as bad anymore because at least this one panned out! I just really got lucky!

Thanks for the nice comments! He is a big one!

He's HUGE, that's awesome. I love those gnarly trash racks. How many points does he actually have?

nbadger, that sucks. Better than a non recovery though. You still might get another crack at him.

From behind he looks to be 225-240. Was it you (or a buddy) who stuck one by glenwood last year about 185?

Not me... I guess it depends what 185 your talking about? I cant think of any close friends taking any deer that big LAST year anyways.....

I may be off on the score, I hope your right! A credible outfitter out there came and looked at him and he too thought it looked bigger than what I scored him at. Again, I dont care one way or the other! Im just incredibly happy!

Hes got 22 scoreable points, maybe 23.... and not a thing busted up.

I will go to bed Friday night dreaming of seeing a buck like that! Shoot I'll take one that scores 100 points less than that! haha

This morning I went on a grocery hunt (city hunt). didnt see a darn thing , but some squirrels. However it sure was a nice sit with my new summit climber. whistlegrin

I've seen this buck before.........in my dreams!

What part of Wisconsin did you get him?

Congrats! Look forward to hearing more about this animal!

Sat for a couple hours this morning, saw one doe trailed by a buck about 50 yards behind. My corn came down yesterday so it's shaping up for a good weekend and vacation all next week. Hope to tag a buck early so I can get to SD and smack some greenies. Bucks and ducks, the best time of year. grin

Just got a picturemail of an absolutey perfect GIANT typical 12 shot outside of Rochester. Trying to find out more info on it.

Trying to make sure its for real and not some buck shot in Kansas 5 years ago lol. I can tell you I know for a fact there are multiple bucks this size around town though. This one looks a lot like a buck from a trailcam pic I saw a year ago.

Sat last night from 1 until dark. Had two fawns come in right away, browse around me and then bed about 30 yards in front of me. U usually don't mind that as they will let me know when more deer are coming and it kept me entertained watching them stretch, sleep, chew cuds, ears almost always scanning. Funny watching them react to squirrels, birds. Pretty quiet until about 5:30 and then a doe and two fawns came through at 5 yards and then the 2 fawns got up and followed them out to a field. About 6 a young basketrack came toward me but then turned around and walked away. Later walking back to the truck along a field edge I saw dandy walk out about 200 yards away and walk acoss the field towards the does/fawns. Too dark to count points. A fun relaxing afternoon, even a little chilly with the strong NW wind.

Still on stand here, thick river bottoms in WI. Took today and tomorrow off work. Goal is a nice buck. Passed a 6pt at 5yd, had a spike work through twice. One I couldn't I'd and also a lone fawn. 11am saw a HUGE buck at 60yd, hoping he comes back through. Red squirrel came to visit in my stand, thought he might try to bite me, just curious though.

Trying to make sure its for real and not some buck shot in Kansas 5 years ago lol.

You trying to tell us that people would actually post pics of deer they didn't shoot? Or the stories aren't true? shocked That's just crazy talk. crazy I believe everything I see on the web. laughwink

11am saw a HUGE buck at 60yd, hoping he comes back through.

Jeez Josh, get out your grunt or can call and pull that sucker in!

Well I finally gave up on my big property deer just left my area for some reason. Went to my lil 30 with the 11 point on it.had a fawn come out at 6 stayed in food plot till dark. Igot ready to leave, here deer in the swamp. Wait a little bit figure its to dark might as well drop bow down. They hear it hit leaves and take afew bounds but stop. I let out a owl call to put them at ease and DANG out steps either the11 or a big 10 I've got on camera. Just to dark to tell. Same stand this morning 2 does at 725 and heard others enter swamp. Hopeflly they come out the same trail but earlier. Sorry bout sp this is from the stand hope it works

wow nice buck james

i sat tonight again on my stand with sign all over it. yet again i failed to see a deer, but had a flock of turkeys about 60 yards from me for the 2nd out of 3 evening sits. I think I'm going to reposition my stand and go for those turkeys...

trail cam pics have been just abysmal. 4 diff bucks, none bigger than a 5 point, and the genetics here in SW Virginia are just garbage for the most part.

Mabr,

they were out at 2pm today milling around by me.

Are you out by East Bethel?good luck!

Hey PSE, yeah this was in East Bethel. I got down early today after I seen them go through real early. I probubly should have stayed (had fresh raisens almost under my stand when I got back tonight). Had a basket 8 at 6:30 and the same fawn 5 min later. I think next week is going to be GREAT.

Wow slim! That dude is huge - congrats again! Were you in buffalo co? Can't wait to hear the story and see some pics. You must be under a magazine contract! smile

I just got back from up north... never saw a deer in 2.5 days! The regression over the past 10 years is unreal. Anyone else hunt 172 at all? I'm taking the next adult deer I see - it's time to fill the freezer!

Had an all day sit today. Got out early this morning in my stand. Wind wasn't great for it, but its time to throw a little caution to the wind. Grunted and rattled at first light. Half hour later, a buck comes strolling by obviously looking for me. He was pretty lathered up and bristled. I thought it was the same small 8 pointer that I had been seeing lately. I let him walk by broadside at about 25 yards. He heads up into the field to look for the other buck he turns and I see that he is not the same 8 pointer and is not that small. I grunt a couple of more times, he turns and heads right at me. Walks within 10 yards of my treestand. I'm still hedging on this deer. He gets downwind of me and I grunt a few more times to see if he will come back through one more time. He catches my scent and just hangs out there trying to figure things out. Finally he walks off. It was a tough call on him. He was definitely a nice buck, but I wasn't sure if he was what I was after right now. I don't know if I regret not taking a shot at him more than I would of regretted shooting him. He might be the biggest buck I see this year and would have been my 2nd biggest buck ever. Had a small 6 pointer and then a forkie walk through later also. Still no does. Went to a different farm this afternoon. Sat from 12:30 until dark. Saw one small buck and then another deer walking out, but only saw the back half of that deer through the brush, not sure what it was. Scrapes and rubs are still popping up, but not like I would like them to be, and not being visited as often I would hope. The bucks are cruising right now.