• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011-2012 Gophers

Scott M

Tough to watch Royce White be the best player on the court against Kentucky last night. Tubby could have had a sweet 16 team with him two years ago. If only somebody would have bought him a pair of jeans and a laptop.

No kidding. He had a pretty solid game.

Kentucky canned a bunch of contested shots in what was essentially a home game and ISU couldn't get one of their wide open, penetrate and kick looks to drop. White and the Cyclones are going to be tough in the next couple years.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schweady

• Dotch

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Tough to watch Royce White be the best player on the court against Kentucky last night. Tubby could have had a sweet 16 team with him two years ago. If only somebody would have bought him a pair of jeans and a laptop.

I watched Royce closely and there's no doubt that he is a very skilled player. However, the way he carries himself on the court, he appears to still have some issues. He appeared to be into the first game a lot more, when they were well ahead, compared to the match up with Kentucky and they were getting beat. Probably not the easiest to coach, but with all athletes, you get the entire package, good and not so good. My guess is that he will jump to the pro's in a year or two and not finish at Iowa State. And that is fine, it's the name of the game in todays college basketball world, it's a darn good paycheck. However, there are not a lot of openings in the NBA, many more around the basketball globe though. Just my humble observation.

Physically he's unbelievable. He bulled through some future NBA players and went wire to wire numerous times outsprinting some very fast guards. He doesn't have as much strength or speed as LeBron, but physically he's very much a poor man's LeBron, framewise they are very similar.

Physically he's unbelievable. He bulled through some future NBA players and went wire to wire numerous times outsprinting some very fast guards. He doesn't have as much strength or speed as LeBron, but physically he's very much a poor man's LeBron, framewise they are very similar.

Thats exactly what me and my buddy called him on saturday night watching the game at the bar, a poor mans lebron! I think he may be gone for the NBA after THIS season. Would not surprise me at all. I think he would be a top five lottery pick for sure right now. The guy is leading his team in 6 statistical categories! He is super fun to watch, too bad he was such a moron at the U of M...

He is a HORRIBLE free throw shooter though, that will hurt him in the league

Goph looking surprisingly good AGAIN... dominating the hurricanes(downgraded to a tropical storm) Where has this play been all season???? Is it simply Ralph Sampson not playing??? Hopefully they can keep this run up because even though no one cares about the NIT, the gophs are getting some really good extra experience for next year and looking good doing it

Something got into Andre Ingram tonight. Better late than never I guess. Why couldn't this team get some road wins during the regular season? Tonight they wiped the glass clean. Funny what happens when you put physical players on the floor instead of Sampson.

Middle Tennessee on Wednesday night in Murfreesboro. If they win that game, they would be in an interesting semifinal against Devoe Joseph and Oregon or a good Washington team.

Man did Tubby go off when he thought his player was elbowed rather than the incidental head contact.

Good for the Gophs. Glad to see at least one of the teams wanted to play.

Ah the "what if's" if Royce would've stayed. I think he should go into the NBA draft now.

Good win again, but a lot of fouls. Good to see the fire back in their play.

That was fun to watch after some of the stuff we saw the last half of the season. I wonder though, was Tubby upset about the no-call on the perceived elbow (head butt) or the fact that Miami was essentially playing with a man advantage when Otto got his bell rung?

Dotch, I agree... those announcers didnt know what they were talking about... Tubby was mad because the Refs didnt blow the whistle for injury and tubby had to use one of his timeouts.

Too bad they couldn't figure out how to play tough earlier in the year. Both of the Hollins set have nice games in their home state. Overall pretty good job handling the pressure down the stretch in a hostile environment

Washington is a tough team that should have made the tourney. If they win against the Huskies at MSG, they'll make me a believer in 2012-2013.

Have to admit that the talent on the floor looks promising for next season. Predict coaching or administration will somehow mess it up.

Love the intensity we're seeing lately! Got the heart a thumping, tho... that last minute seemed like it took half an hour. I can imagine that the Huskies will be perfecting their guarding the inbounds play.

Had the radio on the boys' tourney and the tv on the Gophers. Perham held on at the end, too, and live to play again Friday night in their quest to defend the AA title. Go Jackets!

I hate to say it but Rodney has improved under Tubby. He finally figured out that he can do whatever he wants and he seems to be seeing things better and the game has slowed down for him.

Hope they rest Ralph. We wouldn't want him to get hurt for the draf... ahh desk job.

Hollins at the PG is looking more like Jordan Taylor. Where was this shooting in the Big Ten/All Star Wrestling league/Theatrical Coaches/Bad Referee league.

All in all, the NIT is extra games for a young team. Glad to see them playing hard and competing.

Yep, Rodney finally figured out that he just needs to get within 10 feet of the basket as he can outjump anyone. Now he's put it together near the end of his junior year and posted 3 or 4 straight 20 point games. Tubby would be wise to keep him at the 4.

Dre Hollins has been especially sharp of late. I hope it carries into next year.

If Elliason can move his feet and develop like Pek did for the Wolves, he will be solid in the middle. Less fouls on the defensive end and more interior post moves on the offensive end and he'll be a huge upgrade over Ralph. I want my 5 to bang inside, protect the rim, box out and rebound, and he can already do that to a point.

from Star Tribune, Amelia Rayno

Gophers fifth-year senior Trevor Mbakwe has been granted a sixth season of eligibility, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Star Tribune on Thursday night, confirming a report citing multiple sources by WCCO's Mike Max.

The 6-8 forward tore the ACL in his right knee in November and missed the rest of the season. He was averaging 14 points and 9.1 rebounds through seven games when he was hurt in Orlando.

Mbakwe and the Gophers basketball staff had said they had not yet heard any news about Mbakwe's restored eligibility. ESPN.com also confirmed WCCO's report.

History shows it is somewhat rare for the NCAA to grant two additional years to a player that has not had two injuries. Mbakwe also missed the 2009-10 season because of legal issues stemming from an assault charge in Miami when he was playing for Miami Dade Community College.

Mbakwe has said he would strongly consider coming back to the Gophers were the opportunity granted.

He needs to build his stock up to make the NBA. I think he could be a decent bench guy like a Reggie Evans. It'll be tough for him only because he has a family he needs to start supporting.

with the way things have gone in the NIT and the news of Mbakwe... i dont know how you couldnt be excited for next year. Hopefully Tubby can figure out how to put it all together now and FINALLY have that breakout season.

I see Tim Miles landed in Nebraska. He was formerly at Mayville State, SW MN State, NDSU, Colorado State. There were whispers about him when the rumors swirled about Tubby. It'll be interesting to see how Colorado State finishes next year; the cupboard is well stacked. The Big Ten is a conference loaded with good coaches; Illinois just showed Bruce Weber the door seven years after playing in the national title game.

another interesting note is Miles was the reason Colton Iverson transferred to Colorado State. Another tough break for Iverson.

Another W. On to the NIT Championship game vs Stanford. Dre Hollins is really turning into a great pg. He is an absolute machine from the line.

Finally you get to see what a Gopher team that gets transition points looks like. If only Tubby could force some of that action instead of having to wait for it. Andre and Rodney have come into their own this year. Wish I knew what Mbakwe was waiting for...the deadline is fast approaching for him to accept or turn down the 6th year of eligibility.

Shouldn't have gone to OT and it shouldn't have come down to a desperation heave miss, but bring on Stanford Thursday night!

Really enjoying seeing what these games are doing to give Dre and Williams et al some extra time to work together. Far more cohesive group than we saw during the earlier weave-down-the-shot-clock games. Now, just take out Raftery and his "ain't I cute?" comments, and it's a very enjoyable -- although heart-pounding -- night.