• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011-2012 Gophers

Scott M

Yuck, just watched back that Iowa game. Nebraska game is in the hopper. You would think they lost it down the stretch, but they lost it throughout the game.

Nine Gopher turnovers during a 15-3 Iowa start, including 5 by Julian Welch? I can watch Rodney lay back in the weeds in the lane and rise up and block a shot half way across the court but he can't just grab it and get possession? Some of these guys have basketball IQs in the 60's. Somehow they lead 27-24 at the half as bad as they played after being down 12.

2nd half I see a bunch of missed open 3's, Rodney misses an easy And-1 and can't make his free throws. At 13:00 they put Iowa in the bonus. Osienienks misses a tip in layup. Sampson doesn't go strong and gets blocked by a guy several inches shorter (never heard that one before, right). Williams gets fouled, doesn't lay it in and tries to dunk it and misses. I watched guys jog to spots on offense. With all that, they take a ten point lead, then blow it all away. Up 5 with 2:45 to go, and they can't play defense or execute on offense. It gets tied with 1:20 to go, they turn it over and miss a shot while Nebraska scores twice. Game over. 64-59. Zero points for Coleman. My prediction is this is the game that will haunt them.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schweady

• Dotch

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Snuck in the Nebraska game off DVR too. Armelin had it going on. They need to find ways to get him the ball in the open court...no one has better body control.

Pretty bad shooting by the Huskers in the 2nd half. Give the Gophers credit, the Huskers beat Indiana within the week.

Poor free throw shooting by the Gophers but they hit open 3's in the first half, crashed the boards on offensive, and got out in transition for layups in the second half. Add it up and its good enough to beat an overmatched Husker team.

The good news? If the season ended today, the Gophers would likely be in the tournament. Also, 5 of the last 7 are at home. The bad news? 5 of the last 7 are against ranked opponents. Gotta win 4 to get in the Big Dance.

Bucky comes to town Thursday night. They are beatable. They have only blown out 2 teams in conference play and their style is very similar to the Gophers. However, with points at a premium, a 6 point deficit can feel like 12. If they get up for the game, ride the crowd, and play smart, they could upset Wiscy at home.

chise, ya scared me for a sec. Thought I missed a game there.

I awoke in a cold sweat. Thought I was having a flashback! grin

Yep, Gophers couldn't keep up their pose when things were going poorly and they didn't recognize a mismatch when they had it. They set up a play for the end of regulation, tied at 51, and Wisconsin switched everything. The intelligent basketball play was when Taylor switched on Rodney, to give him isolation in the post or on the wing to let him drive hard...he had been the hot hand with Andre Hollins. Instead we saw a couple poor shots fired off before the horn. You gotta have your composure against this team - nothing changes. They milk the clock, don't turn it over, and play the best defense in the country. Ralph was content just running up and down the floor and not getting engaged. Coleman has been scoreless in three straight. When Wisconsin snagged Jared Berggren and Mike Bruesewitz, I said big deal, we got Rodney Williams and Royce White. Unless Rodney comes alive, I think the Badger set is looking like the better deal, especially since Royce had to be cut loose.

Bucky got lucky with a couple 3's rattling in but they have poise and the Gophers don't. It's going to be hard to win in Madison to end the month.

I just don't see this team having the firepower to win enough games down the stretch to make the Big Dance. They are a NIT team.

I can only assume that the Badgers are the only team in the history of college basketball to win a game in wich they scored only 2 points in the last 10 miuntes of the 2nd half.

That's mind boggling and to boot I had the Gophers and under.. frown

No closers on this team. Thought Coleman was going to be that guy, but not sure if he's hit the freshman wall, or teams figured out how to guard him, or both.

N-I-T, N-I-T!

Can't believe Bracketology still gave the Gophs a corner of the dance floor... this week's projection has them in a play-in game of #13 seeds vs NCState. Just hoping that tonight's game against THE OSU is entertaining, anyway...

They have been getting a lot of help from other bubble teams, but really need a signature win. The Wisconsin game coulda been that, but obviously wasn't. Could it be tonight.. who knows, but I doubt it.

Didn't watch a lick, Gophers didn't get blown outta the barn, losing by 10, but they also were behind the whole game. Box score looks like Rodney and Julian played well together and they got little help. Forgot to turn on the DVR, I will have to read the fish wrap recap.

You were lucky da chise. I dunno who the ESPN yakety yaks broadcasting the game were but they were as bad as the game was, blabbing incessantly about how intentionally hitting a defender with an inbound pass should be a technical along with other assorted "wisdom". Thank god the Westminster dog show was on. There was a lot less yapping by both the canines and the announcers. grin Let's see, Ohio St. coming off a loss at home + Ed Hightower officiating + the Gophers needing a win to get anywhere important + they're just not very good team = a Gophers loss. They deserve an NCAA berth like I deserve a night with Halle Berry. crazy

...Gophers didn't get blown outta the barn, losing by 10...

Actually, they were. Something about a 20-0 run that will get you on your feet... heading out for more popcorn.

Didn't watch a lick of Saturday's game, didn't need to.

Wow, how embarassing. The freshman PG from N'western goes for 22 after being scoreless in Minneapolis, Shurna and Crawford got loose too.

How can Sampson give an interview and talk about being excited to try to play basketball at the next level and writing "Tears of a Champion" and turn in an effort like that? 4 points, 2 rebounds in 18 minutes? In his senior year, no less? He is going to go down as one of the biggest disappointments in Gopher history. Expectations and potential can be damming, but it was a matter of heart and intensity not of abilities. What a shame.

Austin Hollins goes scoreless? Welch and Coleman were the only ones that came to play?

They're only halfway through 6 straight losses. I expect a win at home against Nebraska, but by then their fate will be sealed. The next AD better not be too quick to renew Tubby's contract.

From the Pioneer Press:

In case anyone missed it, point guard Justin Cobbs, who left the University of Minnesota after his freshman season to play for California, scored 28 points in an 86-83 victory over Oregon last week. Oregon was led by another former Gophers point guard, Devoe Joseph, who scored 33 points. Joseph left Minnesota after his sophomore season.

Cobbs also had eight assists, four steals and no turnovers.

Another former Gopher, guard Royce White, who transferred to Iowa State, is averaging a team-high 13.2 points and 9.2 rebounds for the Cyclones.

Tubby, why do you run off all your GOOD players???

I can hardly watch Tubby Ball. He seems to take all the spirit out of his players. No smiles, nobody upset when they get outscored on a 20-0 run against Ohio State. It's got to be an ego thing that his is too big for the team. They all play scared to make mistakes. His plan to go inside to Sampson against Northwestern was terrible. I'm still waiting for one player to get considerably better under his coaching.

Injuries and transfers are part of it, but I have no confidence in our coach and the players need to care. They have enough talent this year to be .500 in the Big Ten.

No question. Given their remaining schedule, if they win 3 maybe 4 games I'd be surprised. They can start packing their bags for the NIT, maybe. And, after last night's performance, I could envision them getting picked off by Nebraska at least once and winning at Northwestern is certainly no gimme. frown

Horrific performance against Northworstern. Rodney must've taken some lessons from Randy Moss, plays only when there's a chance to make a highlight reel then disappears. Good to see Joe Coleman reassert himself. It's a good thing they managed to win at Nebraska or I'd be sticking with this prediction. They could beat Indiana at home but think they'll manage to win only 1 more game before tournament. crazy At least the hockey team righted the ship over the weekend. smile

...Tubby, why do you run off all your GOOD players???...

Just goes to show what these guys could be like under a decent coach.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

Quote:
Tubby, why do you run off all your GOOD players???

HUH?

So it's Tubbys fault White was a thief?...LOL... tubby gave that clown every chance he possibly could and then some.

And the Joseph Transfer was even more bizarre.... I want more playing time and I want to shoot more even though he averaged more than 25 minutes a game and shot more than anybody else on the team including 80 shots in his previous 3 games or 150 less then he has in 20 games this year for Oregon.... but hey I'm going to transfer mid-season and go be the 7th man on a Pac-10 team ....LOL

And to imagine where we would be with "Tex" Cobb all 12 points per game of him if he stuck around....LOL

In a nutshell transfers happen every day in college sports for various reasons.

I'm all for criticizing Tubby on things of merit but this is just another total over-reaction.

I mostly agree with you Pier, I think the circumstances with most of the transfers during Tubby's tenure here have been out of his control (the rash of injuries crippling this team the last few years make it look really bad) and there was little more he could do for the players BUT

I also see what CJH may be implying...how has Tubby made players better? How has Tubby utilized his roster on offense and defense? Those players look pretty good right now because they have matured and developed elsewhere while our players have not done the same while here.

Transfers, injuries, excuses, ect...... Bottom line is Tubby is 6-18 in the big ten in the last 24 games. PATHETIC!!!!!!! Dan Monson could have easily matched that mark... He better start producing some wins because its getting very old watching his teams try to put the ball in the hoop... they look like middle schoolers in gym class trying to scores sometimes!

Judging by the players they have right now, there not going to be much better next year. Oh and by the way- ZERO tourney wins since he showed up

To me tubby is all reputation and no substance until proven otherwise

If Mbakwe gets an extra year, this will be a dangerous team. Sampson graduating is actually a plus, Rodney can stay at the 4, we get Mo back, and 1-3 gets filled by committee. That's a NCAA team right there. Ellenson and Buggs are good incoming freshmen.

Maybe, if Mbakwe is at all himself after major knee surgery.... I dont really see them finishing in the top 5 of the big ten next year the way they look now

HUH?

So it's Tubbys fault White was a thief?...LOL... tubby gave that clown every chance he possibly could and then some.

And the Joseph Transfer was even more bizarre.... I want more playing time and I want to shoot more even though he averaged more than 25 minutes a game and shot more than anybody else on the team including 80 shots in his previous 3 games or 150 less then he has in 20 games this year for Oregon.... but hey I'm going to transfer mid-season and go be the 7th man on a Pac-10 team ....LOL

And to imagine where we would be with "Tex" Cobb all 12 points per game of him if he stuck around....LOL

In a nutshell transfers happen every day in college sports for various reasons.

I'm all for criticizing Tubby on things of merit but this is just another total over-reaction.

No overreaction at all, just reality. Pull your head out of the sand. Royce may have been immature, but do you know he was a thief? Last time i checked he wasn't found guilty of anything. Hasn't stopped Tubby from keeping a stalker/violent player on his team (Mbawkwe). College athletics is full of egos and less than angelic athletes, good coaches know hot to manage it and be successful.

Those would be the three best players on this team. Who do we have that is better?? No one. Did Iverson have a bad attitude too, or did he get sick of being poorly utilized by Tubby in favor of the smallest 7 footer I have ever seen, Ralph Sampson?

If we have those 3-4 kids on this team we are in the Dance. Period. Don't forget Joseph basically willed us into the Tourney that last we made it.

Well put CJH and Pier. You both sum up Gopher fans' love/hate relationship with Tubby. I won't pick sides on the issue of all those transfers, but I will say Tubby ain't earning that big paycheck!

HAHAHAHA What a joke! I could go on a huge rant right now, but everything has probably been said in other posts from similar games... Rodney seems scared to be a playmaker at end of games.

The saddest 10 minutes of basketball I have ever seen. They led by 7 in the final minutes and then just looked like they figured the jig was up. Crazy.

I missed the coverage, what were the Minnesota coaches wearing blue bow ties for?

Is it any surprise they lost the game? No. Even when they had the lead it was never enough for it to be secure, they needed about a 10 point cushion because you knew they would freeze against MSU's defense in the final couple minutes. Sure enough, they get outscored

3 straight turnovers, a missed off balance three pointer, and a turnover. Wow. It's groundhog's day, same result every game for the last how many years in big games? The team expects to lose, they expect to crumble. They have never known how to finish games under Tubby. 12-0 run by MSU to end the game, except for Dre Hollins pointless triple with 2 seconds left and a couple free throws by Thornton to close it.

Is there a moral victories tournament? The NIT has been the redheaded stepchild of postseason tournaments since the early 1970's, but at least you have to be somewhat competent to get in...The gophers need a moral victories tournament, this is getting ridiculous. It must be nice to be Bo, Tom, Thad, John, or Matt and know you are guaranteed two wins a year against the Gophers.

Even though I knew this was coming (page back to my nonconference comments), it just makes you sad to see them compete for 38 minutes and lay down in the last 2.