• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011-2012 Gophers

Scott M

81-72, Gophers lose in Champagne in double overtime. Multiple opportunities to win this game and the Gophers can't do it. Welch misses a free throw at the end of regulation that would have put the game out of reach, then later misses a layup that would have given the Gophers the lead late in the first overtime. The team completely falls apart in the second overtime. Rodney disappeared in the second half as he does from time to time, then fouls out in the second overtime. If this team was going to make the NCAA tournament, they need to win some road games, heck they need to win period. Welch made some plays and looked the part until he couldn't ice it. What a shame. There are no points for moral victories. It doesn't get any easier with Michigan away on New Years Day.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• schweady

• Dotch

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

It was a close game, and they played well, until the last couple minuted of 0t2. They just could not make a shot, or hang on to the ball.

Is this program any better off the last 5 yrs with Tubby? Not a rip, I just keep seeing the same thing over and over. His talent he has recruited is not that good. Im glad sampson is a senior. Hes played no better as a senior than a freshman. Numbers may prove me wrong but I fall asleep watching him.

I was at the last game Monson coached before he was fired. Are we better now. Absolutely, without a doubt. The real question is are we where we expected to be 5 years with Tubby?

Interesting weekend in the Big Ten, Indiana knocks off Ohio State at home and Iowa beats Wisconsin at Madison.

Gophers find a way to hang in and lose 61-56, as will be the case all year long. They could never get over the hump and take the lead and trailed all game. No one could guard the freshman Burke. Defense was too stretched out and didn't work as a team to rebound, giving up 14 offensive rebounds. Balanced scoring for the Gophers, but not enough to win the game. Wednesday's game hosting Iowa becomes a must win, unfortunately it's always been this way with Tubby, dig a big hole in the conference schedule and try to recover.

Only the Gophers can go up 11, then get creamed through the rest of the game. Yes, Iowa beat Wisconsin. Yes, they are a very experienced team. However, you have to beat them to get a meager number of Big Ten wins. This is looking like last year all over again. I predicted this, but I oh so wanted to be wrong. Iowa flustered the Gophers with an aggressive 2-3 zone, but the Gophers should be prepared for it. They play Northwestern twice a year! It sucks to watch a team out-work the Gophers, but that's exactly what happened. Sampson and Rodney needed to step up and they are content to watch, Sampson to let others push him around and get every loose ball. Iowa grabs 12 offensive rebounds and dominates the hustle stats. Offensively, the Gophers were lost again. No movement or penetration against the zone. Instead they settled for contest 3's and missed badly, shooting 4 for 23. Ahanmisi misses a running tear drop off the glass at the buzzer that would have tied it.

They've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory 3 games in a row now. Way to go, dummies. Disgusting, deplorable, disgraceful. And against the Hawkeyes, whose fans are only slightly less obnoxious than Packers fans! wink

How hard do you suppose Clem and Tubby laugh when they get together? Can we send U administration to LA with the Vikings too?

Amelia Rayno, Star Tribune

With such a young squad, one might imagine inexperience and youth could be one of the Gophers’ biggest problems as they try to recover from an 0-3 start to the Big Ten schedule.

One would be wrong.

“I thought our young guys did a heck of a job,” coach Tubby Smith said. “I’m worried about my veteran players – that’s my biggest concern.”

It seemed he had one in mind with his statement, and not without cause. Ralph Sampson III got out to a hot start, scoring six of the Gophers first 10 points – but when the team needed him most, the senior did was he has done far too often this season: disappear.

Consider this: those first three shots Sampson took were all from at least 8-10 feet out. When the Hawkeyes went to zone defense, Sampson was overwhelmingly boxed out, despite the fact that Iowa really had no real size matchup for him.

“I was very disappointed we didn’t get the ball inside. I need Ralph to go to the rim, attack the basket, not settle for jump shots and be stronger with the ball,” Smith said with clear frustration in his voice. “I just think he needs to catch the ball closer to the basket where people can foul him and he can use his size – I mean, he is 6-11.”

Getting to the free throw line has been a recent weakness for the Gophers, who have not made more than 10 trips in each of the last two games. It’s not all the fault of Sampson – who was 0-for-1 on Wednesday, and didn’t go to the line at all against Michigan after a 6-for-6 performance at Illinois. But as the team’s only real big man left in the Mbakwe-less starting five, it is Sampson’s job to be aggressive in the paint, throw his weight around, to find the basket and get to the line.

The Gophers need that if they’re going to win games in the Big Ten.

Inject Tubby with some truth serum and he'd be singing about Charmin Sampson III. More turnovers (6) than rebounds (4) last night. The game is about mentality, and usually college coaches change your mentality and expectations of yourself. I played against NFL Tight Ends John Carlson and Matt Spaeth in high school and pushed them around even though they were way bigger (Spaeth more than Carlson to be honest) in height and weight. Today I couldn't get to the paint against them because they are as well mentally trained as they are physically. It's all how teams and players mentally prepare and Tubby's teams look lost.

The Gopher practices have to be awful. I would love to sit in on practice, I bet it's a joke. I'm sure they do the physical preparations, running, drills. But they aren't ready for the mental challenges of playing. I'm guessing players are tuning Tubby out. When I watch the FSN TV program "Inside the Barn" with Tubby Smith, and they do his last word segment, he struggles to ad lib about some buzzword, injecting a bunch of cliches. If I tune him out, what do the players do when they hear it day after day? He's got to freshen things up and change his approach because it's not working!

I was disgusted with their play in the second half. 4-23 from 3 pointers at home? I thought this was your best shooting team, Tubby?? You drove Iverson away for Ralphy the cream puff? This team, with this lineup, should be pressing large chunks of the game.

BTW, Cobbs (12pts/gm) and Devoe Joseph (15.2pts/gm) are both have good years - elsewhere!!!!

He's failed. He's lost 9 Big 10 games in a row now. We are going to have to put him out of his misery at some point. IF he's not fired, he needs to bring in a good offensive assistant coach and one that is an excellent recruiter.

So disappointed.............

I haven't paid much attention to Cobbs but watched Joseph go 1 - 13 from the field in the Ducks game against Washington. He looked lost just like he did last year playing for the Gophers. Uninvolved, turning the ball over, like he really didn't care if he was out there or not. He's played 9 games and started 6 at this point so I'm curious to see how he reacts once they get into conference play with more games, fatigue, etc., etc. under his belt.

I'd love to see Tubby hire someone to take over the offense. They generally play defense decently so it would be a logical move. It would probably go a long way toward keeping guys here they've been losing whether he could recruit or not. And let's face it, losing Mbakwe in the Dayton game was the beginning of the end for this season. One can only wonder what the outcome of some of the games they've lost would've been had he still been playing. Unless Tubby is a total dummy, he'll have to do something soon or he will indeed wind up looking for another job.

Another loss, as predicted, 79-66. Just got back from that abomination. Sampson was cheered when he was pulled as he was getting pushed under the basket yet again. He's a total loss already. Welch can't get into the lane against the Big Ten...he could against the creampuffs but not the physical Big Ten. Apparently nobody could stick with DJ Byrd in the first half. For a team that's supposed to be good defensively, they sure jump for a lot of 30' pump fakes. Pretty tough to block three attempts, good teams close under control and put a hand in the shooter's face but our guys run out, jump, and end up selling popcorn. Play out of position that much and you'll give up a lot of wide open looks, and the Boilers got plenty of those going 10-12 on treys in the first half.

Coleman was one bright spot. He attacked hard, and although he missed a couple finishes at the rim that they really needed, he showed some potential. 14 points for him in his first start.

Rodney was decent with 19 and 14. Armelin brought 12 off the bench but missed a key tip dunk in the second half. He split time with Ahanmisi waving a red cape for Lewis Jackson to drive to the lane. It was a second half layup line.

Tubby finally pressed a little and got some turnovers from Purdue. His last set of quotes in the paper leading into the game talked about being more up tempo. How do you change the tempo? Add defensive pressure. Apparently he doesn't understand that a team with few shooters but good athletes with length would make for a good press. Somehow he thinks his team will magically find a way to pick up the tempo at 0-4 in the slow-it-down, value-the-possession Big Ten. Amazing that Tubby can get $2 mill a year for these results. His team, supposedly good on defense, could score a little bit tonight, but they couldn't get a stop to save their soul. When you give up nearly 50 in the first half, the other team can rest up in the second half and spread the floor.

Took long enough. Gophers finally get a win 77-74, over Indiana. This was good revenge for last year when they dropped a game in Bloomington they should have won before Nolen was hurt. It wasn't a pretty win down they stretch but they occasionally showed some poise and really battled. It's better to be gritty than good in the Big Ten and the Gophers finally are starting to figure out that they have to win ugly. Bench all played, contributed, and scored. Austin Hollins really stepped up with 18. Great defensive effort. I just wish it wasn't too late.

Sampson needs to be benched forever. Elyisan (spelling?) needs to play more. Nice outside shooting and defense last night though.

Really nice to see a freshman stepping up in Coleman. And Sampson turns it up just a notch -- playing only half of the game due to foul trouble, but contributing key blocks and rebounds along with some smart assists -- enough to make you pleased that he could hang in there as long as he did before fouling out.

Gotta keep driving -- lots of times they never get the ball into someone's hands inside the arc until under 10 seconds to shoot. Seeing all of those second half offensive rebounds this afternoon raises the optimism slightly.

Very happy that I can once again look forward to being in the Barn for Sunday's Northwestern game. Thought for a while there that it would be our first Big Ten win. Or not. Now the back story is The Battle of the Giant Killers - what with MN over #7/8 Indiana Thursday, Northwestern over #6/7 Michigan State last night.

Sounded like a nice win and a great game from Coleman. No longer in the cellar anyways. Let's hope the week off helps.

Made it to today's matinee, best effort I've seen from the Gophers all year. Ripped off a 18-4 start and never looked back, maintained a solid lead all game and played pretty good defense, looked to attack against man and 1-3-1. Joe Coleman is the type of player this program needs - a relentless rim attacker that will scrap with anybody, any size. Great team defense, Wildcats shot 32% and Shurna and Crawford went 10-31.

I don't think anyone expected the Gophers to go into East Lansing and win, but they had a big opportunity and they failed to recognize it. You gotta love Coach Izzo, I would have loved to play for a guy like that, so tip of the hat to him for win #400. Gophers lose 68-52.

Charmin Sampson starts the game terribly, getting pushed under the rim, turning it over, and the Gophers were on pace to give up 20 offensive rebounds. He had a little better second half, but you have the same problem of not having a go to guy that wants the ball and wants to score. Between Rodney and Ralph, neither are demanding the ball in the post. While Draymond Green kills you with inside work and step back jump shots, Rodney never asserted himself to get the ball and use his athletic advantage to score over Green. He also let Green nail that big three in the closing seconds of the first half off an inbounds. With his leaping ability, Green should have never got a clean look.

Turning point in the game...Gophers down 5, on an 8-0 run, Coleman steals a post entry pass, then tries to push through a backcourt double team and turns it over. At the time, there was around 9 minutes left I believe and the Gophers were in the bonus! If they played tough on defense (which was a little better in the second half until the game was decided) and attacked on offense, they could have had a parade to the foul line. Instead they settled for outside shots and lost. If you let MSU dictate pace, you will lose. We've seen it for years, you'll get pushed around, give up offensive rebounds, and settle for outside jumpers. As Gus Johnson put it, "they'll steal your lunch money."

Tough loss. I liked what Coleman gave them despite some freshmen mistakes. Austin Hollins is too mercurial. He had yet another scoreless effort.

If the Gophers can show some mental toughness, and yes they haven't shown much in years past, but I see glimpses with this group, they can steal a game or two and be in position to get back on the bubble. For an Mbakwe-less group, that's an accomplishment.

Revenge game at home against Illinois on Saturday.

gophers win! they really need to work on there rebounding and free throws, if they made only 75 percent of there free throws, they would have won in regulation. I can't believe how many offensive rebounds illinois had, we need to do better on the defensive boards. one good thing, they shot very well, which got them the win.

Finally caught up with my DVR. Amazing to see the Gophers go up 39-29 with 16 minutes to go in the second half and brimming with confidence, then see them get down 6 late in the game and battle back. Gophers shot awful free throws in the 2nd half, but they did a good job of defending the 3. It all works out. Meyers Leonard...he's going to be a beast. He is what Gopher fans were hoping Ralph Sampson would turn into. We got lucky to have an Austin Hollins And-1 to tie it, but sometimes you gotta get a little lucky. There are still plenty of lulls in the Gophers' mental game, but a win is a win.

If the tourney started today, despite starting 0-4, the Gophers would be in according to Joe Lunardi. Obviously there is a lot of ball left to play, but I thought that was interesting. 6 weeks to try to get some signature wins and play their way in. They are looking tougher, but plenty of chinks in the armor exist.

If the tourney started today, despite starting 0-4, the Gophers would be in according to Joe Lunardi.

Yeah, they broke into Bracketology at #11 a week and a half ago. Not sure if I bought it. Will slip back out of sight after tonight's meltdown at the end.

Losing to this group of pukes for the 2nd time did them no favors to be sure. They can't stand prosperity after getting a double digit lead established with 10 minutes to go. Somehow they were lucky enough to pull it off against IL, not so tonite. Coming out of the blocks and committing 9 turnovers in 9 minutes, what were they thinkin'? Obviously they weren't. This one really sticks in my craw. Barf! sick

Yuck. I DVR'd the game to watch the Wolves. Guess I'll be treated to another stinker. If Tubby can't count on his two wins against Iowa, he'll have a hard time getting to 9 with 0 wins against Iowa.

No question. Given their remaining schedule, if they win 3 maybe 4 games I'd be surprised. They can start packing their bags for the NIT, maybe. And, after last night's performance, I could envision them getting picked off by Nebraska at least once and winning at Northwestern is certainly no gimme. frown

Fugly. I knew they were going to run out of gas after coming back from 12 down. Really sloppy, no way they should ever turn the ball over that much.

Huh. Bracketology still has the Gophs as one of the Last Four In, playing a 12/12 game against Arizona. Do or die against a parade of ranked teams coming up.