• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goodbye Delmon Young

Getanet

Z, definitely one of the better starting rotations in recent MLB history. I'm just happy they got bounced in the 1st round with there 200 million dollar Yankee wanna be roster!

They spent 75% of it on pitching, that was their downfall. Wurth, Burrell left, those are decent bats. Howards always been a dud in the post season, I don't know why, but he is. Mark my words kids, the team of the future is in Washington, DC. They are going to be uber good in a couple years.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• SledNeck

• PierBridge

• B. Amish

Mark my words kids, the team of the future is in Washington, DC. They are going to be uber good in a couple years.

That's an interesting pick. Putting a lot of stock in Bryce Harper and Strasburg to pull that team out of the cellar?

I watched Strasburg before and after his surgery, and like many, he's just not throwing as hard yet. It might come with time, and I hope it does, but he's going to have to learn to control his pitches a bit more if he doesn't want to get slaughtered.

Oh and for the record Delmon has 3 RBI's in the entire playoffs. He has NO hits with runners in scoring position "thats the stat you guys love so much" and he's currently hitting .083 for the series.

Positives are he is no longer in fair territory.. blush

Go Delmon and go tigers it should be 2-2 after todays game!

If Delmon were Mauer or Morneau he wouldn't be on the playoff roster with the injury he has, did you see the walking wounded last night Avila, Victor, Beltre oh it's playoffs so you play through stuff more well we weren't out of the playoffs and we had guys taking time off so .............yes we lack toughness, but Nishi may triple his jack total from last year ! smile

Beltre fouling that ball off his knee hurt me just watching.

Ted- the Nats weren't in the cellar this year, the Astros and the beloved MN Twins were the bottom 2 from each league. The Nats are impressing me by going out and putting forth an effort by signing free agents, the Twins should take note.

did you take notice of jayson werth's 58 rbi's and .232 avg. not a bad free agent signing for 7 years and 126 million.

sick

Agree Amish, I was shocked by what he got because he stunk up my fantasy team his last year with the Phillies. Our issues in a way aren't free agents so to speak, if we would just keep our team together after a post-season trip we'd be solid year after year pending injuries real injuries not upper respiratory stuff etc. Speaking of Amish watch out for them on the road after dark, I about took out a whole crew of them on a US highway/curve/ that little red beacon on the buggy I could barely make it out, very high risk south of staples on 210.

LOL...Remember the incident where they "Amish" claimed they didn't have to have the Orange "slow moving" signs on there buggy's? grin I think they lost that one if I'm not mistaken!

Man it was a close call in the dark as hilly as 210 is and that first curve to west south of staples, anyway, best friend is heavy but Hardy and Mauer from what I've heard are good friends, they roomed together during some of the 18under tournaments in the past, they must not hate each other anyway. M and M on paper ok, but when you are in your alleged prime you need to make hay now and not let a cough keep you out for a month. What do we got 20 straight playoff losses, is that correct ? It may be awhile before we sniff the playoffs again whether the m and m boys produce again or not, our pitching staff scares no one at present time, we need some power arms with more than 1 pitch, not finesse as Greg Maddox and Jamie Moyer are ret. Twins lowest strikeout % in baseball means we can't have Nishi out there playing his solid D with his cannon. I can't wait to see our opening day line-up next April.

I'm sorry I'm not a Mauer fan, 1 rbi in 35 at bats in the playoffs career, 7 K's which isn't bad, .286 ave. isn't icky, I'd be more of a fan if they would've took the 100 off his contract, 82 mill would've been about right for a gold glove catcher who we're now transitioning into the outfield and 1st. I do feel he will put in his time this winter (productive time, not rehabbing injuries etc) and have a big time bounce back season though, we need him batting 3rd for 145games this next year and he needs to explode on that 1st pitch more often unless it's a pitcher he's never faced before, then seeing 1 at times makes sense. Speasking of Delmon, how'd his brothers try at a comeback go ? Dmitri ?

You make some great points.... I just like to nit-pic a little here and there. smile

I think we win the division easily next year!

You guys listing former Twins, Kyle Lohse has done decent after leaving here and is on the bump today for the Cards. Another guy not liked personally in the organization and shown the door.

Quote:
Minnesota Twins: The Delmon Young Trade Looks Terrible Now

By Tim Arcand(Featured Columnist) on October 13, 2011

When the Minnesota Twins dealt left fielder Delmon Young to the Detroit Tigers in mid August for pitchers Cole Nelson and Lester Oliveros, it sounded like a move in the right direction.

In exchange the Twins received a couple of pitchers with a combined 19 total games of major league experience. The upside might be that at 22 and 23 years old Nelson and Oliveros there's still plenty of time for these two develop into major league pitchers, but the full effect of this trade will not be evident for a few years.

The problem with this trade is the Twins gave away the one outfielder that could provide some power and lead the team in RBI, and they could have retained in 2012 for less than they may end up paying for free agents Micheal Cuddyer, or Jason Kubel.

At the time of the trade the Twins were 10.5 games behind the Tigers, and Delmon Young was in the midst of the worst season of his career. In 2010 he hit .298 with a career high 21 home runs and 112 RBI. This season, in 84 games for the Twins, Young hit .266 with four home runs and 32 RBI.

After being traded to Detroit, Young's batting average increased to .274 in 40 games, with eight home runs and 32 RBI. He went from batting typically eighth in the Minnesota lineup with light hitting Drew Butera batting behind him, to third in the Detroit lineup in front of the American League's best hitter, Miguel Cabrera.

Since the playoffs, Young has been one of the biggest bats in the Detroit lineup. Against the Yankees he hit .316 with three home runs. With another two home runs against the Texas Rangers in game five of the ALCS, his five play-off home runs are tied for the most in the postseason so far.

Delmon Young has come a long way from his bat-throwing incident in the minors.

The problem was Young was not the kind of player the Twins groom through their minor leagues. He's an impatient and undisciplined hitter that walks too seldom and strikes out too much. His approach is to swing hard and hit home runs instead of being a contact hitter and hitting the ball to the opposite field. All of the things that the Twins coaches preach.

The biggest difference may be that the approach the Tigers have taken with Young has enabled them to do something the Twins could not—defeat the New York Yankees in the playoffs.

Don't fret, all's not lost, there's still time for the Twins to take Cole's 8.1 strikeouts per nine innings through two seasons in the minors, and turn him into a pitcher that pitches to contact, making the trade look even worse as Young flourishes in a Detroit lineup, joining sluggers like Cabrera and Victor Martinez.

Quote:
Don't fret, all's not lost, there's still time for the Twins to take Cole's 8.1 strikeouts per nine innings through two seasons in the minors, and turn him into a pitcher that pitches to contact, making the trade look even worse as Young flourishes in a Detroit lineup, joining sluggers like Cabrera and Victor Martinez.

IALTO

The twins have been run into the ground . Whoever scouted nishioka should be fire along side of the person who suggested that delmon be dealt

just read a little story that the twins might be interested in another japanese player. a pitcher. 88-92 fastball and gets lots of groundballs. A's bid the right to negotiate with him last year but they never worked out a deal. now, he's a free agent.

sounds like he wants to get paid big and the twins are interested.

after nishioka, i can't believe this would work out. shocked

Agree, we had the players here at one time or another in recent years to get the job done or compete for a playoff spot each year, we can't live off the AJ Pierzynski to SF trade for too many more years, Nathan Liriano and was it Boof Bonser or ? We need to get creative, actually just good baseball common sense, look at Detroit in adding Doug Fister, he's a tough pitcher and did any other teams even have him on their radar ? We might need to hire that Japan guy, I don't think Pavano is a happy guy and Slowey is done, well at least if we sign the Japanese guy he can tell Nishi in the native tongue, "you really stink". You double AA player in America, you not know what infield fly rule is ? All in fun guys my roommate is from Japan and he says Nishi Stink. We make fun of each other all the time, great great guy.

In fairness to Sled he was against the trade from the start but now it's just bandwagon stuff here after the fact which is typical in sports these day's. I'm still OK with it "trade" if we sign Kubel who is a better hitter and fielder than Delmon.

That being said.....Jim Leyland ought to be the one fired for not starting Verlander on 3 days of rest. mad

Go Tigers go Delmonty~

And signing Kubel we'll bellyache we have little to no right handed power as Cuddy is likely gone is that accurate ? Then again we have little to no left handed power either lol, Carlos Zambrano likely had more homers than our m and m boys and he got kicked off the team mid-way through the year and he's a pitcher. Here's my friends take, the Dominican boys have more unable to be tested growth hormone raging through their veins meanwhile like the m and m boys are looking more gaunt each year. He thinks they're drinking growth hormone like water, I can't agree but I can't disagree, I wonder what really does take place in those baseball training complexes out of the USA. I wonder what major leaguers know that we don't about certain guys etc. Take care Delmon Young, my first sighting of you was you launching a bat toward the homeplate ump in your younger years in the minors and getting I believe a 50 game susp.

Agree, we had the players here at one time or another in recent years to get the job done or compete for a playoff spot each year, we can't live off the AJ Pierzynski to SF trade for too many more years, Nathan Liriano and was it Boof Bonser or ?

I hated that trade, know why? Pierzynski is RELIABLE, never hurt. He is mouthy, and I love every minute of it. We could use that mouth in the clubhouse now. We took a big gamble on making Nathan a closer, and it somewhat worked out, right up until we really needed a save, then he'd blow it.

Musky, I spent a little over 6 months in Japan, next time you bump into your roommate, tell him "SEE-MOO-SAY" not sure how it is actually spelled, but say it like that and I bet he'd be surprised. Japan is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the people there are awesome.

On a Leyland note, anyone have a count on how many times he runs into the clubhouse between innings? Must not be able to smoke in the dugout anymore, like he did during the Pirate days

And signing Kubel we'll bellyache we have little to no right handed power as Cuddy is likely gone is that accurate ? Then again we have little to no left handed power either lol, Carlos Zambrano likely had more homers than our m and m boys and he got kicked off the team mid-way through the year and he's a pitcher. Here's my friends take, the Dominican boys have more unable to be tested growth hormone raging through their veins meanwhile like the m and m boys are looking more gaunt each year. He thinks they're drinking growth hormone like water, I can't agree but I can't disagree, I wonder what really does take place in those baseball training complexes out of the USA. I wonder what major leaguers know that we don't about certain guys etc. Take care Delmon Young, my first sighting of you was you launching a bat toward the homeplate ump in your younger years in the minors and getting I believe a 50 game susp.

Jose Offerman comes to mind, here though. I think he has been banned in like 5 different baseball leagues, much worse than Delmon, but I don't care for what he did either , though

agree that pierzynski would be a person with some fire and swagger that this team could have used but we all know he wouldn't be welcome on the twins as long as gardy is mgr. too much of a personality for ron to swallow.

and we all know there's no way gardy would have let verlander go the distance the other night like leyland did. 100 pitches and ron would have been pacing the dugout just waiting for the first opportunity to pull him.

AJ's been doing just fine where he is at! He was looking especially sharp tonight with that World Series Ring front and center during the broadcast!

Windy

Quote:
but we all know he wouldn't be welcome on the twins as long as gardy is mgr

Quote:
no way gardy would have let verlander go the distance the other night like leyland did.

I think Gardy loved having AJ who he coached for 2 seasons and hit 300 in 4 of his 6 seasons with us.

Now, the AJ we traded who has not hit over over .300 in the 8 seasons since we dealt him in what was one of the best trades "NO-Brainer" in Twins history by the way, and the AJ that has only had 1 season with over 60 RBI's and has limited defensive capabilities. I think its safe to say any manager would have sided with Joe Mauer over these average at best numbers and skill sets.

Oh and Jim Leyland ought to be fired for not pitching Verlander on 3 days rest among other hair brained decisions he made this post season.

Limited defensive capabilities. Mauer (when he plays) isn't all that fantastic when it comes to throwing out runners, and Pierzynski looks like DiMaggio at the plate compared to the guy that normally catches- Butera.

I think we have heard that before, somewhere....

Limited defensive capabilities. Mauer (when he plays) isn't all that fantastic when it comes to throwing out runners....

Three consecutive Gold Glove awards (2008–2010)

Say what?

Let's just say at present time it's a bit ugly in Twins nation, Vikes nation, Twolves nation, likely Wild nation, and gopher football nation. Time to cheeer for Punto and hope Texas wins it all.