• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Predictions for Vikings Season.

flipper

I think that it's worth looking at potential. The Vikings have a good team and whether it's with McNabb or Ponder, they are likely going to put up some points. The team needs to find its identity to start playing complete games. That's why I don't think that all is lost. I still think that the Vikings will end up with 6 wins but they'll be towards the end of the season.

struggling to reconcile "good team", "all not lost", and "end up with 6 wins" and just not finding a way to put them all together in a way that makes any sense...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkunkedAgain

• LMITOUT

• flipper

• reinhard1

A good team that will turn it around but not until later in the year. A team with no talent wouldn't be able to build 17-7, 17-0, and 20-0 leads. They aren't good enough to close out games yet but I think that they'll be there...much like it took the Lions years to figure out how to do it. The Vikings already have the nucleus to do it so the learning curve can be measured in months instead of years.

Skunked, I agree, they have some good players, some bad ones as well! They will win 5 this year, once they figure out how to play, they will win. Next year I could see them being a a much better team, they will address their weaknesses that they didnt this past season, along with the learning curve of this season. I could see them going 8-8 next year, then back in the playoffs again the year after.

The Vikings have some great talent at some positions but they lack the overall team depth to stay competitive once the defense finds a weakness and starts to exploit it. Bringing in McChunky was a bigger mistake than even I thought it was and as long as he is here the team is going nowhere fast.

I say keep blowing games. Not sure about the Ponder kid but Luck seems like the real deal. Seattle is the only team I think is worse at this point, and they won a game already grin

Man, I don't know what you guys need to see out of Ponder but he showed a lot in the preseason (to me). Hopefully you aren't also the folks who claim that the preseason is worthless.

Ponder is going to be a great QB and if anything, McNabb is taking some bullets for him this year while he really learns the speed of the game. I implore any of you to go watch preseason footage of Rodgers in 2005 or 2006. He was not nearly as impressive as Ponder. If the Vikings tank some games this season, it should be to get some top-notch DB's and a stud on the O-line. Forget about Luck. Ponder will be a very good QB in a couple of years.

Oh man is that an ignorant statement. If you think that the only way to learn the speed of the game is by throwing him in cold turkey, then you've got a lot to learn about professional football.

I say keep blowing games. Not sure about the Ponder kid but Luck seems like the real deal. Seattle is the only team I think is worse at this point, and they won a game already grin

Remember, this is the vikings we're talking about... they may get the number 1 pick, but that doesn't guarantee they'll pick Luck crazy

Oh man is that an ignorant statement. If you think that the only way to learn the speed of the game is by throwing him in cold turkey, then you've got a lot to learn about professional football.

Ok are you speaking from experience as a professional football coach or player? I think most people realize that in order to improve in doing anything that live experiences will help you learn the most. Regarding the speed of the game...I'm not sure how you could get the true feel of the speed without actually going against the other teams starters in live action. If you don't agree then perhaps you can elaborate specifically how sitting on the sidelines really helps. Not saying you couldn't learn reading playbooks and studying other quarterbacks - but I think there is probably a point of diminishing returns where watching needs to be doing.

To me the speed of the game is related to how fast decisions must be made by the QB and how can you simulate that watching?

issues with the speed of the game arise when rookies are not fully acclimated to their read progressions, playcalling, running the offense, their footwork, etc.

That way when they get in there and the game is fast AND they aren't thinking straight, their development can be severely hurt

McNabb is doing a great job at being the starter this year. I sure wouldnt want Ponder to get behind this line, and throw to these receivers, and think this is what the NFL will be like. McNabbb is a filler until we get a better line, and receivers for Ponder to play with!

i think your making some good points. i could be wrong but it seems like McNabb didn't come to camp in shape at all and still working on it. i never seen a guy sweat so much after only one play. McNabb is talented and had his best years and they are behind him. i still thing Ponder should start starting next week. McNabb is part time, Ponder is for the future. good luck.

The time has come for the Vikings to face the facts that they are not a contender this year. Each and every decision they make should be about developing a contending team next year and the years to come.

The days of sitting rookie qb's for two to three years before playing them is long gone in the NFL. Other than Rogers, name one QB in the last 10 years who sat for that period of time before playing. There are a few...but not many.

Ponder needs to be playing...he was said by the experts to be the most NFL "ready" QB in last years draft. Let's see what the kids got.

I agree that McNub is out of shape, he's totally gassed with his lips hangin wide open mid way through the 1st quarter.

I think sometime this season Ponder will be starting, there's really no hurry because the longer he can wait and learn the playbook while the O-line try's to gel the better.

I do think we need to see him on the field this year though because the only true test is in a real live game. I'd like to see what he has, I think he's a gamer.

The past 5 years all the new QB's were thrown to the wolves and have done pretty well. If it wasn't for the lockout I'm sure we would of had Ponder the starter from day 1.

The comparison of Rodgers is not necessarily relevant because the situations are not the same. When he was drafted the Packers had Brett at QB and he was performing at a high level and was healthy at the time.

If Brett would have been injured or if his wheels would have came off and thy needed him the Packers would have played Rodgers his rookie year. And if he did play his rookie year it isn't like he would have rolled up in the fetal position on the field babbling incoherently because he didn't have 4 years of holding a clipboard on his resume.

And as far as waiting for the OL to get better- I have been waiting for that since at least 2006 so there is no guarantee that next year will be any better.

I agree that ideally we would have a competent vet who has years in our system playing right now that can buy us time to develop our QB but we don't have a competent QB and the sooner McChunky is just another bad memory the better.

Really...why don't you take a good, hard look at the QB's playing in this league right now and tell me how they learned the speed of the game?

There is no other way...playbook comprehension, progressions or "reads", and maturity can only come from one thing...actual game time experience.

Speed is something you have to experience...not something you can "learn" from watching or study for.

I throw the ignorance right back at you on this one...prove me wrong.

While I wanted Ponder or Webb to start this season before we got McNabb, now I dont want to see Ponder out there until we can protect him a little better. Let McNabb take the pounding out there until week 12 or so, then let Ponder have a little fun while there is no pressure of winning any games. I think that would be ideal for him. At this point, I would rather see Webb out there then McNabb or Ponder.

Why don't we toss 14 year olds into an NFL game? That's the only way that they'll really get better. (sarcasm finished) I won't deny that you learn the game fastest by being on the field, but that's ignoring the negatives as well. While the NFL has changed, and most young QBs don't get the opportunity to sit and learn anymore, I'd like someone to show me stats that back up the notion that there are more elite QBs in the league now than before this trend began. NFL history is riddled with more great college QBs gone bad, versus the Peyton Mannings of the world. Go look up the online rhetoric behind getting David Carr in the game in Houston....that terrible OL turned Carr into a turtle. Speed of the game can kill just as much as it can help. It's the coach's job to make sure that he gets a young QB in at the right time for his development. Luckily Frazier isn't in his 3rd year and in need of a savior to keep his job (like Chilly was). He's got time to do it smartly.

The need to win in this world should not be greater than the desire to be your best.

the only football i watch are Viking games. win or loose i will watch them anyway. however if they loose against the chiefs and dont make a change at quarterback i will still watch them play but will favoring the opposing teams. good luck.

I took my wife to the Tampa Bay game because the Vikings were offering tickets at 50% off to avoid blackouts.....so they were already at this point BEFORE the season started.