• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Vermilion Fishing Report by Cliff's Guide Service

Lake Vermilion, 9/4/11

The walleye bite on the East end has continued to improve the past week!

Many of our walleyes are being caught along rock to sand transitions on the main lake shorelines and larger island shorelines. 12' to 30' depths are all proving productive depending upon the time of day. The bite has been an all day bite in many areas!

I am still using mostly a 30" Lindy with a float and 1/2 crawler. A couple of days I have also done well by using a pike sucker on these rigs.

The fall bite appears to be rapidly approaching now that the water temperatures are starting to drop. 67 degrees in Big Bay this morning.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• james_walleye

• airnuts

• redlabguy

I struggled to put nice fish in the boat yesterday. Caught about 8 eyes but all about 11". I fished some spots where the graph was loaded up and couldn't get them to go. I also had a bunch of big marks in the open basin in 17-20' anywhere from on bottom to 4' up. We threw out boards and tried cranking them but nothing at all doing that. Didn't fish today. Boat went on the trailer this morning. Lots of projects to do. I suppose today was better.

James,

Today was a good bite but tough fishing in that wind!

Boated 15 eyes, clients kept 8 nice ones and released 3 slot fish, largest being 20-1/2 inches.

All were caught on a floater with 1/2 crawler. 16' to 21' of water.

Cliff

Hey Cliff! Thanks again for Sunday morning. Dad and I had a great time fishing with you. That wind was rather brutal. Walleye dinner was very tasty. grin Jason

Jason,

Thank you!

Fun day even with the wind!

The next day was not as much fun! We only boated one small walleye!

Cliff

Lake Vermilion, 9?10/11

The walleye bite has been very steady this week as well as the Small Mouth Bass bite.

We are catching walleye limits on most morning using bait rigs in 16' to 26' of water. 1/2 crawler or minnows are both working well on these rigs.

I have also caught a few walleyes using 1/4 oz. jigs with the same baits.

Trolling spinners and crank baits is also working well in the shallow bays such as Pike Bay.

The bass are hitting Pike sucker on a short bait rig on top of the shallower reefs readily!

Cliff

The walleye bite has been very good this week.

We boated 23 today with 11 of them in the slot! 8 were over 20 inches with the largest being 23-1/2 inches. Kept 10 very nice fish.

Caught them on bait rigs and jigs using 1/2 crawler and pike suckers as bait. 19' to 30' deep.

Cliff

I agree Cliff. Bite was solid all week when I was up there. Hard to fish very long..kept filling my possession limit too quick. 14-20' with bait rigs and/or spinners. Didn't mind not fishing too long anyway, that wind was brutal. Did you fish big bay on Monday? Just curious what it was like with that wind. Can't wait to get back up there Sunday for another week!

I"ve got lots of leeches left from sprinp fishing and would like to use them up and cacth some fish on them. Tt seems like 1/2 crawler is the hot tictet now and I'd suspect minnows wil be the bait of choise as the water cools off.

So what do you thing of using leechs for the nect few weeks for 'eyes? And sunnies? I usually do well with leechs in easly to mid season but please let me know what you think about using leeches now?

StillFishin'

Great job, Cliff! What a fantastic day! I know you're a "below 17 man" due to the need for clients to be able to eat the fish that they catch shocked BUT!, you have to admit, hooking up those slot fish puts a whole new dimension to walleye fishing. There is nothing that I enjoy more than catching BIG walleyes! I watched you from about a mile away. If I would have known what you were catching, I would have meandered over wink. Just kidding laugh. I hope your clients appreciated what they did.......

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

StillFishin,

It may be at least worth a try using the leeches for walleyes. you never know what will work until you try it!

The sunnies will probably still hit them!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I figured it might be both. Hoping we have a good fall bite going! The wind and rain will blow us in tomorrow night.

RLG

Lake Vermilion, 9/26/11

The fall walleye bite is progressing very well now.

Current water temperatures have been in the mid-50s all week.

Walleyes can be found in many of their traditional fall locations as well as in many of their early spring locations.

We have been catching walleyes and a few jumbo perch at depths ranging from 10 feet to 36 feet deep.

Lots of slot fish and very nice sized keepers being caught.

All of our fish this week have been caught using a bait rig with a pike sucker as bait.

Not to many fish bunching up yet in the deeper holes. That should occur in a couple of weeks if the water temperature keeps dropping.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Sounds like its been pretty slow up there the last couple of days. I was hoping you had a different report Cliff. Had any luck?

Chaunceye,

The bite has been a real challenge on most days so far this fall! Seems like most spots hold a fish or two that are willing to bite then I have to move to the next spot to get another bite.

I am still doing my best using pike suckers on a 3' to 5' lindy, #2 hook, and a 3/4 oz. sinker.

As soon as I feel any type of a bite I have been feeding the fish line for at least a count of 10, then tighten up the line slowly, if the fish is still there I then set the hook and hope for the best!

Cliff

• 2 months later...

Lake Vermilion, 12/03/11

Finally got out on the ice this evening with Chaffi and my friend Scott.

Went out from McKinley park at around 2:00pm and fished until around 5:00pm.

We went out as far as the end of the broken ice, about 500 yards or so,and set up in around 14-1/2 feet of water.

The bite did not start until around 3:30pm for us, or I should say for Scott! He Iced 5 walleyes with 4 of them being very nice keepers! I missed one good hit and caught 1 small cigar. Chaffi iced zero!

Funny how one guy can do so well and he only 50' away and the others get skunked! Still was great to get out again!

We had around 6" of ice in the broken up area and 4" of ice in the clear smooth area that we fished. Saw a couple of brave soles out as far as Ely Island. Also a couple of ATVs on the broken ice area.

We used rattle spoons and a dead stick most of the time.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Did well last night in 12 feet of water off McKinley park landing. The bite was late and short but fun while it lasted. Tip ups were our best luck.

Chaff,

Anytime!

I tried the other area that I mentioned the next morning and only iced two very small ones there.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for having Greg and I out to the house, we did very well, and I mean very well. right after you left all heck broke loose, Greg had a really good time, I kept saying 15 more minutes and were gone, I must have repeated that 6 times. All in all it was a blast. A couple of beers, and a few venison polish and good fishing, it does not get much better than that.

Thanks again. Darrell.

Been out fishing several times the past week with moderate to great fishing each time. Ice was 11" where we have been and is nice, dark & solid. Most of our fish came on plain hooks with either a chub or small sucker. I did have pretty good luck with a gold forage minnow on a few occcasions. A few big hogs on out there too, the one in the pic was 24". Seems like 17-23'is the ticket. Now is a great time to hit the lake, walking or with a wheeler. I have some great rates on cabins now too starting at $25 per person/per night. Thanks- Erik

BayView Lodge

218-753-2500

www.bayviewlodge.com

Find us on facebook "Bay View Lodge"

full-34587-14854-049.jpg

Lake Vermilion, 12/12/11

The past week has had a fantastic walleye bite for me and many other ice fishermen!

There have been walleyes caught in depths that range from 10 feet to 32 feet all over the East End of the lake.

The prime times have been early morning and late afternoon but the mid-day bite has been very good on many days also.

I have been having my best luck using pike suckers on my rattle reels and small chubs or rainbows on my jigs. The bite has been about 50/50 as to which works better.

Many slot fish being caught along with a lot of the upper end keeper fish.

Ice depth has been ranging around 9 inches to 11 inches in the areas that I have been fishing. That being said, be very careful out there as the ice is very unpredictable this winter and there are a lot of dangerous pressure ridges popping up all over the lake!

Saturday I pulled out one of my wheeled houses through an area that had a couple of ice heaves at around 11:00 am, I returned using the same route at 5:00 pm and drove my ATV right into a 20 foot wide lead that had opened up between the ice heaves!

I was very lucky that I was prepared for just such an occurrence because I was wearing Arctic Armor,(which acts like a life preserver), and I had ice picks in my coat pocket to assist me in getting back onto the very slick ice! NEVER trust any ice fully!

Good fishing and stay safe out there!

Cliff

Thanks Casey. Yep thats him, Brian Zac. He's in here all the time.

Cliff sorry to hear about your swim...mabye you, Casey, Dave and Phil should get a team together for the United Way Polar Plunge this year. Its on Feb 25th out here grin Sorry couldn't resist.

I finally had some luck catching eyes on Vermilion this weekend. In 2½ days of fishing I iced 21 walleyes, with 3 in the slot. The largest was 24" (5#, 2oz). Only 4 of the fish were smaller than 14". I don't understand how I can catch only 2 walleyes all summer running all over the lake, then catch 21 in 3 days of ice fishing in a 4 foot area. Dumb luck I guess. Caught most on rainbows, the rest on suckers. White glow jigs. 18 feet of water. full-28432-14873-img_3245.jpg

full-28432-14874-img_3244.jpg

full-28432-14875-img_3242.jpg