• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Outdoors with JonnyP

Random guy

Wheelers are buzzing around just fine. Perfect conditions for them along this side of the lake

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• bturck

• shaky legs2

• kelly-p

I went 2.25 miles yesterday and came back in the fog and realized the ice is so flat and smooth I was getting bored. Ching ching ching ching of the tire chains for two miles at 7 mph in the fog with not one bump or even change in ice color.

oh and the fishing way out was good for numbers but all I could find was 8-10" walleye and baby perch. Much better fish in closer.

What would you say about a truck and ice castle if we are fishing close to shore? talked to a buddy of mine and he said there where pick ups on the ice.

What would you say about a truck and ice castle if we are fishing close to shore?

If you haven't noticed I am not going to try and answer that question, this is one for the accesses and road operators to answer directly.

Call them directly

Beacon Harbor

Hillmans

WestWinds

Red Lake Adventures

Nistlers

Morts Dock

Rogers

JR's

Casselas

A small change in the game. Fishing slowed down the last few days as the water pattern shifted and the ice became busy with noise. Anglers pounding the same old spots are seeing both action and the ratio of keepers to slot fish decrease.

Fish are not only biting light on bobber rigs they are pushing away from areas with excessive noise and traffic. Make sure to give yourself room between the portables. Remember the ice is still thin and not only transfers sound and motion it amplifies it.

Best bite for me has been 8 feet of water off by myself with a Rattle N Flyer spoon. Most eyes come in to investigate but refuse the faster action only to pick up the motionless bobber and small Frostee presentation a couple feet away. Last night’s limit came 100% on the bobber rig.

If you stay still, do not make excessive noise (think about your feet) and make sure to have a 1-2 punch set up a limit is a sure deal.

The small glow frostee seems to be working better then a plain hook and sinker on the dead stick??? Im assuming red and pink for colors also? Are you leaving the dead stick up off the bottom a foot or two or hugging the bottom with it? Thanks as always Jonny

Quote:
well thats the rub right there, isn't it Kel

Go ahead and snicker traveler. This morning I told the dog to go over and leave you an X-Mass present in your yard. sickgrin

On more serious note that area I told you about last time we talked has good ice now. smile

Good deal...I didn't make it up friday, looking at tues. with any luck. Guess the ice will only get better.

I'll make sure Zeus returns the favor...better get out the snow shovel!!!

Unsurprisingly Traveler and Kelly have reduced my report thread to dog [PoorWordUsage]...

On a fishing note yesterday we found the walleye wanted everything moving. Dead sticks where dead except for the pike that wanted it holding still. Had a great day with Perch Pattern and Purple Smelt Rattln Flyers Flyers and not much on anything else. Found a very strong bite from 10AM-2PM in 9 feet of water. We ended the day catching 74 walleye and a bunch of nice perch for two guys fishing hard and a camera man that fished when he could. Can’t complain about that action one bit.

We too had anglers that hit the ice yesterday and this morning and found a Very good morning bite-leaving here around 8 for Upper Red and back in the fish cleaning room before none cleaning their limits of walleyes. Fishing approx 8 feet of water and jigging outproducing a dead stick.

Went out all day sat and got a couple 18 in. Then a nice keeper 14. A couple perch and one sheephead. That was crazy reeling in. Was fishin in about 7-9 ft of water.

I am really seeing guys that hit a new spot do well and guys fishing old ice not so much. Typical clear ice spooky fish.

Awesome Gotta like hose video's. No big pike this year?

You have to watch the shows to find out. wink

One on FSN on on another froum site, another on a internet broadcast. The internet versions come out soon but the TV ones take awhile to edit and produce.

Jonny, Have you had any luck with the Darters or the Slick Jigs? When using the Darters, what's better, smaller or larger?

The new frosties and ratlling flyers seem to be the ticket, what about the Darters and Slicks?

See you soon!!

Darters are a great go to bait when I just can't find fish the Darter pulls them from long ranges. I love it for a search lure. As for the slick jig I just need to use one more, they do produce I'm just addicted to my Rattle N Flyer.

I have a darter on one pole for drawing them in and then a flyer on another pole. What about the buckshot rattle jig? It doesn't have as much action as the flyer but my nephew who fishes on ##$$@ LOW swears by them.

The red rattle flyer with a fathead Head only got me walleyes all day long Sat and Sunday with a frostie with a fathead deadstick. One friend used the red darter with a head on the front treble hook and caught about 10% of what I caught. Could be luck, the spots I was fishing, or the fact that I read Johnny P's post and others that helped me catch so many fish. I don't know. But my friends and son were going to pay for the surgery to remove the horseshoe from my a$$.

Thanks again for the posts and advise!!

Jonny- Question.... My buddies and I just returned from red, fished sunday afternoon through wednesday morning off beacons harbor in 8-9.5 fow. We had good luck but noticed something everyday we were there- It was a DEAD sea where we were at from around 4 pm to around 8 pm every night. My buddy was thinking the fish were moving in shallower to feed around "prime time". We kept talking about taking the portable into 5-7ft in the early evening but never did, only to have the same extended dead time in the wheelhouse. Dont know if youve noticed this same phenomenon lately, but do you think our theory about moving in shallower could have been right?

Also- we noticed you guys workin' hard where we were at with our iowa fish finders (bi-noculars) and lets just say I think you made a good choice with where u put the houses smile

Yes between Dean at Beacon Harbor along me and Kelly running that area we have it covered that’s for sure.

As for the bite I am seeing it over and over. Strong bite from 10-3 then it dies with a tiny peak of activity at 4:30 then dead until later at night. As for why I haven't been able to put anything together on why but I'm sure it has something to do with light transmission and the all that gin clear flat black ice.

As for general fishing I have had a long and nerve-racking week of writers, film crews and photo journalist/reporters. Mix in the Red Lakes Technical committee meeting it has been full throttle for Outdoors with Jonny P. We are just getting started and my nerves are shot BUT, wow did we catch fish.

The daytime bit has been strong on the Lindy Slick jigs, I am actually new to using the slick jigs a lot as I am very fond of my rattling spoons but the slick jigs are producing mid day in a big way. Once the sun dips down switch it over to the Rattle N Flyers in glow colors and have a blast.

Jonny, the price of fame. Ya gotta love it. A little breathing room though I'm sure is greatly appreciated. Keep the info coming, we appreciate that...