• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Outdoors with JonnyP

Random guy

Amen. Dredging cost them money. It is no differnt than paying the ice road fees. The roads don't plow themselves...

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• bturck

• shaky legs2

• kelly-p

• 4 weeks later...

It’s official; you need hip boots to fish Upper Red. This morning with the calm weather the lake was settled at a stable level and I had to get out and pull the Alaskan across the sandbars to get out. Smaller boats with lighter loads can get out but it is nip and tuck. Now a good east wind will make it almost impossible.

Fishing was not very good but the water has already cleared up big time. Looking at the forecast the winds are going to stay down until Thursday so we may have a few good days coming up. Then it is north west winds of 22 mph…again.

• 2 weeks later...

I seen it with my own eyes...the water level actually came up a smidge. Backwaters and flowages actually have water in them! Not much water but at least it is not dust; I even got my wheeler stuck yesterday for the first time all year. Luckily the low water will not impact ice fishing very much other then we will be working farther out. If it is a clear ice year that will make a big difference in the night bite with the shallow water...there will be little sleep.

Now we just wait for ice. I pushed the boat to the side and put the Otters in line at the front of the pole barn hitched and ready. The entire fleet of new Marcum digital flashers and cameras for guided clients to use are in route and should arrive tomorrow. Best of all I fired up the snowmobiles yesterday to smell that sweet smell of two stroke smoke that triggers anticipation of big pike and aggressive walleye.

As for the rental houses they are lined up at the water’s edge and ready to go, and of course the plow trucks have been just looking for an excuse to crash into something.

The Petrowske clan is ready for our 107th year on Upper Red Lake! Of course things are a bit easier to prep now verses when we first started his bit. wink

full-10775-25746-old_photos112.jpg

Well boar all you have to do is drive this direction a little ways...you even have a great pike spot lined up with your headlights as you pull in. wink

Better hurry up although. I hear there is a race or a pillaging or some other big occurrence going on right away. I would just park on the shore and wait for the ice to make sure you don't miss out. grin

• 2 weeks later...

I know its too early to tell right now but me and a buddy of mine are trying to come up from the cities for early ice. With the work schedule kind of need to know a rough time we can shoot up there, and with the drop in temps hopeing it will be in the next month. Any idea of when ice will be good to be out there? I know alot of stuff comes into play (snow, wind, temps, etc) but maybe the first couple weeks in Dec maybe? Any input would be great. Thanks

It's always a huge guess, but by the 10th of December we are normaly on foot and sometimes ATVs/sleds by then. Now I have seen years where it was Christmass before we got out on foot and I have seen years where deer hunters where lined up on the ice in orange ice fishing second week of November.

So does this make me the first guy on the ice? grin I can tell you it was the last place I wanted to be but still good to see ice forming.

full-10775-26390-img_20121112_142609.jpg

full-10775-26391-img_20121112_160140.jpg

I believe you would qualify for 1st ice. Probably no need for the auger yet 'eh. Won't be long. Trying to set up January date with a couple of guys, will shoot Patsy an Email when I can get them locked in....

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Who needs and ice auger when you have an ice boat to make the hole for you smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I don't think "through" ice counts! wink What were you doing out there other then burning up a motor and denting up a prop? confused

River froze faster then I thought it would with no current and the trapline had to be pulled.

River froze faster then I thought it would with no current and the trapline had to be pulled.
Ah, sometimes you have to pay the pipper! frown

Every year I push it as long as I can and every year I am chopping traps out of the ice.

Doc just booked a trip for one of his sons and friends with Patsy toward the end of January. We will be up there also. Maybe we can hook up this time.

You sound like the mountain men of old, chopping traps out of the ice. Next thing will be spreading castoreum on willow sticks and hanging them over the traps for bait and weaving willow hide stretchers. If that beard gets longer we can start calling you Jeremiah. Watch your top-knot Jonny! eek

chopping traps out of the ice. Next thing will be spreading castoreum on willow sticks and hanging them over the traps for bait and weaving willow hide stretchers.

Um...ya did all that today actaully. blush

Well maybe not Grizz, but Black Bear! He could be Jeremiah! wink

It's all part of making a living and surviving in a very rural area as a guide/ professional outdoorsman. You have to utilize what the area will let you and never stop moving or rust will settle in. Many claim to be ultimate north woods guides or outfitters while they spend a couple months in the area. It takes more than a fancy web page and a seasonal beard to survive here year round as an outfitter/guide; many have tried and just as many have failed. They come and go like geese.

For example today I returned form a promotions event, once the sun comes up I will run the 42 miles of local trap line replacing the traps that had to be removed due to being gone for two days. Then I need to finish putting up the deer meat for winter, once that is done furs need to be prepped for sale. Then I need to turn all the venison scraps and trimmings into trapping bait and of course ice fishing equipment needs to be prepped. Today I also need to fix the brakes in one truck and weld the ATV trailer before resetting the long line sets tomorrow and it looks like one of the big six man houses better have a new roof put on before it heads out to the wind swept lake. As I have always said "It's a great life but a horrible living." although I wouldn't have it any other way.

Talked to Buddy Hillman today. Said the ice was looking good, not great but good before the heat wave. Now it is under a skim of water but if it holds through this warm spell it is going to be smooth as glass and feeze down at a quick pace.

So if the forecast stays true, are you thinking maybe a week from saturday would be a safe bet for getting out on URL?

Well after this years weather pattern who really knows but with a good steady cold snap for a few days we will be walking. I am still going to keep my feet on shore until December unless I am sure it has locked down.

It's all part of making a living and surviving in a very rural area as a guide/ professional outdoorsman. You have to utilize what the area will let you and never stop moving or rust will settle in. Many claim to be ultimate north woods guides or outfitters while they spend a couple months in the area. It takes more than a fancy web page and a seasonal beard to survive here year round as an outfitter/guide; many have tried and just as many have failed. They come and go like geese.

For example today I returned form a promotions event, once the sun comes up I will run the 42 miles of local trap line replacing the traps that had to be removed due to being gone for two days. Then I need to finish putting up the deer meat for winter, once that is done furs need to be prepped for sale. Then I need to turn all the venison scraps and trimmings into trapping bait and of course ice fishing equipment needs to be prepped. Today I also need to fix the brakes in one truck and weld the ATV trailer before resetting the long line sets tomorrow and it looks like one of the big six man houses better have a new roof put on before it heads out to the wind swept lake. As I have always said "It's a great life but a horrible living." although I wouldn't have it any other way.

Man it sounds like you need to hire some help and create some jobs up there! Maybe start an OutDoorsman "Internship" program and get some young guys to help for free! grin

Looks like we might have a do-over with the ice. Hopefully it holds but I'm not sure it wil make this. My guess is the ice sheet is goig to be piled up on the south and south eastern shore; hope I am wrong.

Thanksgiving Day A chance of rain and snow before noon, then snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 28 by 5pm. North northwest wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday Night Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West northwest wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 21. West northwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.