• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ed Carlson, Drowned?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• huntnfish

• goose89

• Boar

• leech~~

Im in Shock!!! Amazing how you can touch so many with honest opinion and advice for the good of our outdoors we all love.

You will be missed Ed my fellow outdoorsman. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.

So sad! only knew him from here. always enjoyed his posts and his knowledge! I am ata total loss for words. does anybody know what went wrong seemed as though he always put safety at the front of any adventure. R.I.P Ed

Met him once at the Kidder dam in Wahpeton. He helped me load my boat. Didnt know it was him until I saw him jump in his van and drive away and realized it after I got home. Very nice and friendly guy. My condolences to his family. We lost a great member here and will be missed. R.I.P.

Safety first - that's what came to mind for me too when thinking of Ed. I saw the news earlier today and have framed pictures in my mind of what happened through the thin details of the story. Unbelievable.

I didn't know him except here either. I will say sorry for your loss to all his family and friends. frown

I should add that Eddy had friends on both sides of the Canada/U.S. border! Stu McKay from Cats on The Red was a personal friend and professional colleague of Eddy's. topcat 3820 and I have had the pleasure of fishing and just spending time with Eddy here up "nort" or down on Eddy's turf at GM. There's a few more folks up here that know Eddy personally. I bought my fish house from Eddy a few winters ago so I'll be thinking of him every time I set it up! S A L M O is going to miss Eddy Carlson and his support for the Chubby Darter. He sold many of us on this lure!

Shocked and saddened is an understatement. The prior post reflect the kind of man / fisherman Ed was. Never met him, but I respected him and will miss his solid information. Prayers sent. RIP Ed.

I posted this on his Facebook page earlier today...

"So Sad... I'm not sure if you really know how many lives you've touched Ed but mine was one of them. 10 plus years of knowing the screen name "Backwater Eddy" from Fishing Minnesota to WC. Wealth of information delivered by a larger than life personality! You will be missed Ed!"

While reading through these posts, I remembered the stretch here during the good ole days of FM where Ed had a broken keyboard. Can't remember which key didn't work for him but we all went quite awhile with some interesting posts from Ed.

I still can't believe this.

Im from Breck. and always meant to call him. To be honest with you I'm completely in shock and cant believe it. Damnit!

awful, RIP, the fishing community will not be the same. God bless your family & friends.

My prayers go out to Eds family and friends, god bless. Very sad no doubt about it.

RIP "Backwater Eddy".

Didn't know him personally, just from his posts here on HSO, and he always seemed like an upbeat and knowledgeable guy.

RIP Eddy.

I never met Ed, but I always read his posts carefully. They warranted that. I'm sure his close friends and family will miss him, and I feel for them. It's an especially tough thing to lose someone so unexpectedly.

Very saddened by the loss of Backwater Eddy. My prayers are with him and his family.

Huge loss for the river fishing community, FM and, most importantly, his family.

Ed will be missed. Rest easy my friend.

Prayers out to his friends and family.

RIP Ed. Like a lot of people have said on here I didn't know him personally but he always had great adivse on this site and let everyone know it as well. Prayers go out the his family.

Quote:
Can't remember which key didn't work for him but we all went quite awhile with some interesting posts from Ed.

It was the space bar key. So his post looked like.... grin

Quote:
Have.you.considered.putting.a.12V.receptacle.or.2.in.the.top.deck of.that.rig.and.wiring.in.a.12.V.battery.bellow.That.way.any.accessory.or lighting.could.be.easily.plugged.in.or.charger.for.that.matter.I.would line.the.battery.area.with.styro.too.to.keep.it.warmer.and.safe.from shock.Gander.has.them.in.the.marine.dept. Food.for.thought.

Not many people around like Ed but the world would be a much better place if there were more Backwater Eddy types among us!

Thanks Much Ed!

Hey Ed, take care of yourself till we meet again, will look you up when I get there.....sure there will be some stories and maybe you could show me around a little.....

I never met the man, but I really enjoyed reading his posts. Particularly his posts related to ice fishing and gear. Last year, he posted about his experience with a certain piece of equipment. My friend found his phone number and called him to talk about Ed’s post. Ed couldn’t have been nicer and pointed my friend in the right direction.

The guy really embraced what this site is about – having fun and helping each other. Ed was never one to get hostile in his posts, was always a gentleman and had a great sense of humor. There was a nice news story about him on WDAY in Fargo last night. Prayers to his children and other family members.

Oh. This is very sad news, indeed. My heart and prayers go out to the Carlson family, and to everyone who new Ed. He was a good man, and will be missed. Ed brought some unique color to this site, and his willingness to share ideas, and successful tips was remarkable.

It's almost hard to believe someone who always gently warned others when water, ice, or inclement weather were in question, is now gone in this way. So sad.

Go with the Lord, my friend.

Wow, never met him either but felt I could respect his honesty and willing to help others. Always looked forward to his posts. This is a first for me, as in missing someone I didnt even know. Sad day. Prayers sent.

I never had the opportunity to meet him... but most of how I approach fishing a river (from my house, where to target what when and the all important WHY) came from his posts.

Always quick to help someone... RIP, you'll be missed.

In the words of Douglas Adams... "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Here is his favorite quote I got off his facebook

I'm a "Catch and Release Fisherman"...That is somebody who doesn't want to eat them all...but just wants to make them late for something.

RIP Ed thanks for everything

He always gave us all a great heads up on upcoming sales at GM, RIP Ed, we will ALL miss you.