• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Lake, Island Lake Boulder Lake Fishing Reports

Went out to Island Friday afternoon/evening. Dink-a-thon. We caught 30 to 40 9 inchers. Got one more outing scheduled for Sunday afternoon and that might be it until September. I'll post the results.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• reinhard1

• Jarrid Houston

• fishinfey8

Had the same results today - started out in the weeds 7'-9' and drew a blank. Moved to 14'-16' and caught small fish. Then to 22'-26' and more small fish. Crawlers and leeches fished rigged on Lindy or jigging.

What the? Fished hard from 9am - 2pm. Maybe next time. Beats working anyway...

Try pulling some cranks. I seem to catch just as many smaller fish but catch way more bigger fish with them.

I always found nice fish in the 1-5fow range in the thick weeds in years past. Find the pockets and cast a slip bobber and leech. Always had my best luck around the fourth of july doing this. Spots always changed depending on the water level but the fish were always relating to windblown edge of a thick weedbed. Thanks for the report deep, it's always nice to hear whats going on in your neck of the woods.

Hit Island yesterday early to beat the heat. We found some nice walleyes on a 13'-24' break with a nice rock to muck transition. The fish were closer to the 13' mark early and moved deeper as the heat came on. Also found some really nice bonus perch! The walleyes were nibbling on leeches and then we through on some crawlers...they seemed to like the crawlers as each hook was deep in their mouths. Slow presentation with a single hook or spinner each working. All and all a good morning on the water!

The surface water temp on Island is 84 degrees. I don't believe I've ever seen a temp that high.

Temp has been up there before and at the end of summer there was a die off. The ? is where was the thermalcline. That will send you in the right direction. 20 to 25 ft jigs and minnies will still work. Look at the breaks at those depths. Plus this will put steve in the grove keep on crankin.

I know what Im doin Saturday then. The eyes dont stand a chance.

Sunday afternoon Im having my Birthday Barbeque at 3pm. Come on down if ya like.

Went out on Island last night targeting bronzebacks and only boated a couple tiny pike. Did a second mayfly hatch shut off the smallys?

Smallies, especially bigger ones, can be caught out on deep mid lake structure this time of year. We caught a ton of them last year troling cranks on the main west lake.

Was on Fish Lake for a couple hours mid day today. Mixed bag of fish (pike, gills, perch, and walleye), nothing spectacular but not bad for a couple hours in the heat of the day. All caught on a jig and leech or jig and fat head.

Fishing in the weeds in 10-11 feet of water.

Managed a few eyes on Island tonight. It was tough trolling with the wind kicking up and down.

Little bit easier tonight with less wind. Managed one nice 16in smallie, 1 25in northern, bunch of rock bass, and 5 walleyes. Couple of nice eyes too. smile Fish are really all over the place.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Spent more time in the water then on the water but in very short time of fishing for eyes we found them on the steep breaks between 15-20' of water and it was mid day.

Spinners w/leech on a slow troll.

Went to Island yesterday with the one they call Sherpa.. We found "some walleyes" majority were the small ones but did get a couple of eaters (kept 4 and 2 nice size perch). Also got some smallies and pile to boot. It was windy! Also went below the Dam before we fished a saw a nice sized ski lerking. We also saw fish (small walleyes stacked up against the shore line. Pretty neaT....

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 12 year old nephew to Island Lake Yesterday. Bankers hours. 10 to 4:30. We caught about 20 walleyes between 9" and 26". All on cranks. Missed a few more. It wasnt fast and furious but exciting enough to keep a 12 year old pumped. He caught his 4 biggest walleyes ever. Great day to be out and my sunburn proves it. OUCH!

This time of the year on Island with water temps at 76 I was fishing 21 to 45' but did catch some on the shallower 14-16' flats.

When your fishing that deep are you running your downriggers then? I have always thought about doing that, but with the up and down structure, I have always thought it could get a little sketchy! Thanks for the reply!

No Im not. When I get into that deeper water Im looking to fish the thermocline and suspended fish. I dont need down riggers to fish Island Lake. I can get baits 50' deep easily with out riggers.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw what looked to be an albino musky on Island today. It was just sitting there looking at my minnow bucket hanging off of the back of my boat. This was in close to 20' of water. I wish he would have hung out long enough for a pic. I have seen very light colored ones before and this was way lighter. Pretty cool to see.

• 3 weeks later...

fished Boulder yesterday with my brother and son-inlaws. we got to the landing at around 9am. there were about 6 trucks with trailers there. the weather was not the best. very windy and white caps present with periods of sleet and rain.

started out in my usual places with little results. some small walleye under 10 inches and small pike. by 2pm we went to were my brothers crappie spot was. it was in 12 to 13 feet of water and i could see them on the depth finder passing over the area. had to anchor in deeper water and let some rope out in order to hold in the strong wind over the spot.

after adjusting the depth on our line to 3 feet off the bottom we started to catch crappies as soon as the minnow hit the area were the fish were. the action was fast but only lasted for 20 minutes and that was it. should have been there earlier i guess. but we got 14 with the largest around 12. we also got some walleye there that we kept that were 13 to 14 in. [6] they were in the same spot but in 8 foot of water.

not bad for poor conditions. we stopped at Charlstroms for some chubs. we used plain red headed jigs under a bobber with a chub through the lips. good luck.

Thats some good fishing reinhard. Ive never really been able to figure out the fall crappies on boulder. Done ok in winter though. What kind of structure are the crappies relating to this time of year? The open basin?

i think they go to the open basin during the day and according to my brother he has his best action between 2 to 3 pm. now time could change. it wasn't until the water cooled down that they moved into that area. i have fished this lake since i was a kid and can say i have never caught a crappie until the last 3 years or so. primarily because i stick to my old spots on both sides of boulder for walleys.

being that my brother still lives in Duluth he fishes it more than i do now and is able to find them on hard water and early and late in the year. this shoreline breaks fairly fast in Boulders standards. not quickly but gradualy. it goes from 10 14 rather quickly and onward toward deeper water. fishing was slow in our normal spots until we went to this area that my brother frequents. although we did get some walleye here to take home, my brother fishes here primarily for crappies. like i said the crappies were anywhere from 14 to the 12 foot level and about 3 foot off the bottom. good luck.

must have been one of the many stumps under our boat. the heavy anchor got stuck and we could not get it off the bottom. i got a 115 merc and i tried to slowly pull it off but in the end i cut the rope and boulder has an added piece of structure. good luck.