• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Lake, Island Lake Boulder Lake Fishing Reports

I think fish lake sizes have gone up. Last fall it was hard to catch one under 17"...kinda weird. I know they have been saying walleye numbers are down on fish so maybe there is less competition and faster growth? Walleyes from boulder and fish always seem fat and healthy and seem to have quite a few bullheads/panfish in the ones you clean.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• reinhard1

• Jarrid Houston

• fishinfey8

You'll probably laugh, but try fishing right where you caught walleyes during the open water season. This seems to produce more early in the season, but for the most part there's a reason fish like certain parts of the lake - winter or summer. Finesse them if you have to - dead stick a lively minnow on a hook/split shot rig under a spring bobber on your rod - low light seems best. Get away from people, and be quiet.

Worth a try.

I've not fished the lake in an open water season, otherwise I would have an idea where they would be. I found a hole about 28' saturday with quite a bit of fish on the bottom and slightly suspended but couldn't get them to bite. I don't know if they were crappies or eyes or what. We went to a different spot that produced a few days prior and managed a couple good eater pike and a good size gill. It was pretty slow because just 2 days before that spot produced a lot of fish.

My big question is what depths/structures are eyes caught on Fish Lake, or is there a better lake to ice fish on to snag some eyes. Size isn't a big deal for me. I really like eating the 13"-16" fish.

fish is good, its just the time of year that the walleyes sort of shut off. Boulder is still kicking out some fish too.

fish is good, its just the time of year that the walleyes sort of shut off. Boulder is still kicking out some fish too.

If this was a normal year, I'd agree 100%. We've still had pretty good success on Fish recently, and I would imagine it might last a little longer than usual. You are dead on with the Boulder assessment...

So if I were looking to find some walleyes, what is the depths and structures on fish, island, or boulder that I would be looking for in the winter time?

So if I were looking to find some walleyes, what is the depths and structures on fish, island, or boulder that I would be looking for in the winter time?

I have caught eyes in 4-34 feet of water this year. it really varies by day, time and lake. You will need to get out and look for yourself. Give the 12-17 foot depth a try.

Fish and Boulder you will fish much shallower than Island. As said you will have to get out and try some areas and lakes to figure them out.

The shallow part is a good thing to know. I tried fishing the 25-30' holes and marked fish off the bottom, but couldn't hook any, so I haven't a clue if they were crappies, perch, or eyes. I've been fishing lots of different parts of fish lake, but have only gotten into lots of perch and some crappie and sun fish. Is it better to search the main flats or trenches for eyes? I'm assuming if they are shallower a dead stick towards the bottom will work best.

If you target walleyes on Fish lake you will go home with empty buckets more often than not.

I target the gills and crappies and take what walleyes I get doing so as gravy.

If I were to go after only eyes I would fish the late bite and look for areas that have wood and weed growth together or large rock to gravel muck transitions.

West side of the lake would be the 1st area I tried.

Early morning at Dock Island in shallow will get ya a few every once in a while.

If you ask me Fish Lake is turning into a panfish lake.

If you ask me Fish Lake is turning into a panfish lake.

Agree, but there are still some decent sized 'eyes in this lake, you just won't find the same numbers as you would Boulder or Island. Boulder is the better one for 'eyes in terms of size and numbers (IMHO.)

Got out on boulder today. One nice eater Walleye, and a good size pike. Those eyes were quite finicky. The slightest movement of a dead stick scared them off the graph. We did mark quite a bit of fish. I think we got out there just a bit too late in the morning. Definitely going to try hitting it up again sometime in the future. Maybe try the evening bite.

I've had my best action on average on hard water from 3pm till almost dark on Boulder. after dark it's been slow. early morning is good also. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been following this thread at all because I never thought I'd be going to duluth this winter. Well, I'm coming up this weekend smile is there truck travel going on out there? Also, is there any snow on the lake to explore some spots with sleds?

I cannot speak for Boulder or Island other than I've heard it's never safe to drive on Island. I hit Fish at least once per week and yesterday there was 22" of ice where we were. Keep a safe distance from the dam and the bridge between the Blue Max and Eagles Nest and you should be fine driving. I will once again recommend paying the $3 to drive out of Highbanks on the plowed roads. Saw more than a couple of cars out there yesterday. There is a little snow on the lake and guys are buzzing around on sleds so I guess that means it's ok for snow machines. You would be able to get to any spot you would like to fish with a 4 x 4 truck though.

I was out on Fish last Saturday. Very frustrating. Caught at least 50 Perch and only 1 tiny Crappie. Haven't caught a Walleye there in 2 years.

I was there on saturday as well. I marked a ton of fish with the first hole and got excited, turned out they were all baby crappies. I got a few decent pike in that spot but moved and couldn't find the decent sized perch. I've not had the best luck out there recently.

Have been at fish lake last few days. Pick up thurs. marked fish and caught fish in 11 ft of water.

Fishing should be better before the storm.

Went out to fish lake monday . Three of us caught 9 crappies all nice sized and blue gills all on whole minnows they wouldn't bite on minnow heads or waxies.

Does anyone know if boulder is plowed/driveable? I have not been out since before the snowstorm.

I went up their today the road is not plowed, has a lot of snow and has open water from the dam to about 50 yards from the old road. I would not even attempt with a four wheel drive at this point looks very shady. I went to whiteface reservoir probably ten inches of snow on it as well plenty of ice but even with a four wheel drive I don't think I could have made it the snow is packed down and not very fluffy to drive through.

I heard from Tim at Hi Banks on Fish Lake that he plowed to dock and tern islands. He said its tuff travel even with a 4 by 4 truck. He said sleds are the way to go if you want to travel off the roads.