• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Lake, Island Lake Boulder Lake Fishing Reports

I can't find it now, but there was a picture of it half in and half out not to far from the landing. It said it was rice lake just outside of Duluth. I saw the report a couple days ago?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• reinhard1

• Jarrid Houston

• fishinfey8

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Rice lake:

The whole stretch between the island and shore is bad news. Unfortunately that includes the landing too.

You could drive a semi over it one day and the next its open water.

Had a blast today on Island. Ended up going home with three 14-17 in fish for a fish fry. Fishing was slow during the day,but dusk and dawn bit was short and sweet. The scenery was awesome...felt like I was in Canada. Didn't see much for traffic. 12 in of clear ice where I was sitting.

full-17935-28291-img_0229.jpg

full-17935-28292-img_0225.jpg

full-17935-28293-img_0232.jpg

full-17935-28294-img_0237.jpg

Love to see pics glad you got into some. We hit Fish and found gills craps and pike, kept a couple for a fry and had a great end to 2012

I hope everyone had a great 2012!!I had a little time to get out yesterday from 2-4:30 and I'm sure glad I did. The fish were aggressive!

full-40309-28345-262784_1010270988049969

full-40309-28344-379451_1010271009503476

Are guys driving on Fish Lake? Out of High Banks?

Yes, We went out of HighBanks last Saturday. Fishing was a little slow but it was nice to drive out.

Looks like everyone's getting into some fish! It's good to see everyone having fun out there. Wish I still lived up there, although I probably wouldn't get anything done!

Thanks Jarrid! Yesterday was unreal. Caught over 30 eyes from 2-5 in 11 FOW. Threw back a ton of small ones and a nice 24". Ive also been fishing boulder very shallow with good luck. Hope this helps some out!

Jarrid-

That's a new crappie tactic I've never really seen before grin Jig'em and pull'em up like the're on a tip-up?! I'll have to try that next time I'm out. wink

Kidding aside.That's awesome man. I'm a huge fan of being mobile as well...Moving around is key. There's rarely a day when I don't pop <20 holes to find drop offs, breaks, shelfs, and weed-lines.

Hey Jarrid your hand lining skills are awesome. Maybe try that in the TPWA Ice Fishing Contest. grin

taking kids out on the ice for 1st time of actually fishin, mostly gonna plan to set sum tip ups and maybe 1 bobber hole for em.... 3 and 4 yrs old, anyone suggest area to go just for sum flag action? took em out in boat few times, last time we hammered em. brought home 13 fish. now they ask every time i go. well this weekends the one. helpful suggestions be appreciatdd and if do well, will post pic of their smiles from catchn fish. priceless..... p.m. me if need be

Hey guys, Heading to fish tomorrow just wondering where to go out of? Dont need to drive.

High banks has road and charges $3.00. He told me 3 days ago there was 14"-15" ice. Uses a 3/4 ton with plow with a few hundred pounds of sand in the back to keep road open. So make your own decision to drive or not on ice.

Can never go wrong with flags on Wild Rice. Can stay busy all afternoon! Gd luck

Hate to go against your post Jarrid but that has just not been the case this season on Wild Rice lake. The flags have been few and far between.

The ice conditions and travel have been some of the best I've seen in years.

http://www.fox21online.com/node/7137

Nice little story FOX 21 did with me the other day. I was sicker than a dog, but it turned out good. Don't laugh to hard at the hand line job.. Lol

Nice news story Jarrid. Wish we could have made it, but Sherpa was super sick too. We never made it out. Thanks for the hook-up on the Vex. I will be using it tomorrow finally.

Not much talk on here lately eek Loooking to go after some crappies Thursday/Friday. If the bits is slow, looks like I'll have to go after some eyes.

I went out to Island for my first time today. Looking for walleye. Took off from the Abbott Rd. landing. I don't know where to go so I just went west-northwest from there into one of the larger sections of the lake and slowly made a big loop. I didn't go any farther west than the pressure ridge, it looks like it spans the entire lake. I fished 9 or 10 areas from 15-27ft, looking for quick drop offs on my GPS. Didn't have much luck, 1 little pike that I caught at almost 30ft and then a few small walleyes later in the afternoon in about 19ft. There is a ton of structure to fish it seems. I barely saw any permanent houses, does the lake just receive that little fishing pressure or are there more houses in other areas? I think next time I'll go to the landing that is right off of Rice Lake Rd. Is there a map available anywhere online that will show me the names of islands, points, and bays on the lake?

Also, the DNR website says there is a landing off Island Dam Rd. Do they mean Island Lake Dam Rd that is at the 4 way of Lavaque and Fish Lake Rd?

You are correct, Island Dam Rd is the landing your thinking of. The sportsmans connection has a pretty decent map of Island. But I don't know of an online version.

MP&L landing off hwy 4 is your best option. If you walk out from the Dam landing, stay away from the front of the dam. This lake has a winter draw-down period where they drain the lake levels by multiple feet each winter. If they are still drawing water out, there is alot of moving water in front of that dam. Since they drain the lake down, it makes the ice unpredictable and somewhat shifty. That has alot to do with the reason people stay off the lake with vehicles. If you walk out from the east side access you will be more than fine though. I would feel safe driving a snowmobile or atv pretty much anywhere out there, except by inlets/outlets and by the ice heaves.

MP&L landing off hwy 4 is your best option.

Which one is that? Hwy 4 follows a lot of the lake.

took kids to grand. ewwwww. CROWDED! managed to convince the boy his sucker minnow was a little fish, (the girl was a lil to wise 4 that lie). only action we had other than playing.