• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Penn State courting Sandelin

brmuskie

Well there are parallels. Sandy lost a combined 52 games in his first two years, ouch! That really was more a reflection of the state of hockey in Duluth during Mike's final years (great coach in the 80's).

I do agree with how you ranked those teams in their relative strength. Also it kind of falls in line with size of programs as well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• solbes

• scsavre

• cbrooks

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like sandy and duluth are peaking at the same time. They are both at the top of their game.

Here's my groups or tiers. Obviously this is based on the past.

Tier 1, atleast one team should in frozen 4 every year. A team should win, the league and playoff too. Other 3 should make tourny.

Denver

Gophs

Nodak

Then wisc swings between tier 1 and 2. Atleast 2 teams should make the tourny. 1 should make the final 5 champ. Andthere is always a chance at any title.

Cc

Clouds

Dogs

I think uno will be in tier 2 and beavers will be a 2 to 3 swing.

Tier 3. One team will always be on the verge of a ncaa appearance. 1 team should get to stp for tourny, and 2 teams should be terrible

Mank

Aa

Tech

Sounds about right to me. If I was a Badger fan though I'd say they are Tier 1, at least over the past 5-6 years. Two appearances in the finals with one title.

Sounds good to me too, I also don't know what to make of WI. Over their entire history they have to be considered elite, but they do seem to have a lot more down years then some of the other top programs. Not that a Gopher fan should be talking about that right now but hey it's WI, even when we suck we own them. 152–85–20 all time record says it all.

Sounds good to me too, I also don't know what to make of WI. Over their entire history they have to be considered elite, but they do seem to have a lot more down years then some of the other top programs. Not that a Gopher fan should be talking about that right now but hey it's WI, even when we suck we own them. 152–85–20 all time record says it all.

I agree. Sconny sorta gets forgotten about, but they do have a successful program and produce a lot of NHL caliber playas.

Tier 1

ND

MN

DU

WI

Tier 2

UNO

UMD

SCSU

CC

Tier 3

BSU

MSU

UAA

TECH

I agree with you guys except for UNO if they are in tier 2 than so should BSU be! They whooped their butts this year and have two ncaa appearances, one a frozen four run, I just don't see putting UNO up there yet, heck they didn't even make it to the Final Five! Plus growing up in Colorado I HATE all Nebraska teams smile

Well UNO did get beat in overtime on a 10 minute review by the team that went to the finals. I still say NO GOAL!!!

Well UNO did get beat in overtime on a 10 minute review by the team that went to the finals. I still say NO GOAL!!!

I agree... UND wouldn't have the fate of losing to Michigan

I think UNO is getting the nod for one reason only, they had a good season and their coach is Dean Blais. Other then that they haven't done much to be in the 2nd tier.

I agree... UND wouldn't have the fate of losing to Michigan

If we are considering fate, than I change my answer. That was ABSOLUTELY without a doubt a good goal by Michigan in OT. Yup, definitely a goal.

Back to Sandy and his yet to be extended contract. Does anyone know the insane amount of $$ that our women's coach makes? I don't want to [PoorWordUsage] [PoorWordUsage] too much here, she has won 3 titles. But you have to balance out how much $$$ the respective programs bring in.

And to further complicate matters, the Duluth A.D. is also the head football coach, who has 2 DII titles of his own. I have a lot of respect for Mr Nielson, but it would be hard to keep priorities perfect and true.

All that translates into a pretty messy situation. Only so many dollars to go around at a small school. Only so much money coming in, from an athletics perspective mens hockey generates most of the revenue. And then how do you distribute to 3 coaches with success? I hope they don't low ball him. Get 'er done! Are the FMGAC also available for consulting fees?

I don't remember how it all started but FMGAC is the Fishing Minnesota Gopher Appreciation Committee. That might not be 100% accurate but pretty close, Solbes can you confirm?

grin oh for christ sakes you guys. What if Lucia read this site? He probably sits there in tears.

Brooks, you want in dont you?

I think UMD will fork over the big bucks. That rink has showed their commitment to the program. I wonder what BSU serotorew makes.

It just dawned on me, Blais actually beat UND in the playoffs. If that goal wouldnt have counted, UNO would have won that game. Michigan was the only team that could beat UND, so there you go. Blais wins. Thanks Dean, you can come to MN now.

I wonder if anyone declined the Penn Job?

FMGAC = Fishing Minnesota Gopher Advocate Committee.

I guess there's no immediate rush to sign him now. It's not like he's gonna run to Princeton, Tech, or Providence. We do need him signed fairly soon though to keep the stability for recruiting.

UMD HAS to pony up and sign Sandy if they want to maintain any sort of credibility in the upper echelon of the college hockey world. He's in a good spot and so is UMD. Otherwise, maybe UMD can pry away John Hill from UMtc sicklaugh

FMGAC = Fishing Minnesota Gopher Advocate Committee.

I guess there's no immediate rush to sign him now. It's not like he's gonna run to Princeton, Tech, or Providence. We do need him signed fairly soon though to keep the stability for recruiting.

I was close, [pleasebecomeasponsor] we better sign up brooks, you know he secretly wants to join.

Make sure I'm on that list too. Pains me to see the Goph's not being the top "dogs" in the state of hockey. I'd like to give Maturi a little push.

Bear president

Brooks secratary - he has been begging for membership

Solbes statistition

Me - ill stick with sioux basher as my title.

I agree, sign him now. They don't need him availale with all the openings now. Have they always treated sandy good. Is he happy there. I've never heard much.

Maturi is a clown, he has screwed so much up. He came in to bassically a top 10 ncaa program. And has left it a lifeless joke. Look at maturis 2 first seasons. Hockey, girls hockey, golf, wrestling. All champs. Even the other sports were pretty good, including fooball.

Why am I the secratary? I want to be the president.

The truth finally comes out, welcome to the team brooks.

So, how do we build this team up so they are ready to win the conference and the conference tourney starting in 2013-2014? Cbrooks, does that timeline sound about right? grin

I don't want to see our team be beat by the likes of Penn State, Ohio State, or any large program with Michigan in it's name.

When am I gonna be taken seriously on this forum? I always end up on the but end of the jokes.

Wisconsin will dominate the big ten hockey conference.

Brooks your gonna get demoted to unattractive cheerleader with that attitude.

Wisconsin will dominate the big ten hockey conference.

sick

You would think MN and UND fans could all agree that WI sucks!