• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NHL playoffs

cbrooks

JW, all valid points. I think what is suspicious to me is that suspensions/fines seem to be more based on the name and reputation of a player and not solely based on the severity of the actual infraction. Boogard (RIP) was unfairly suspended a few times for some very questionable calls. If it was Bouchard and not Boogie throwing those big open ice checks or laying a shoulder into somebody in the corner, I would bet suspensions and fines would have been handled differently.

The same can be said for guys like Ovechkin who is a rare breed in that he is tremendously talented as a goalscorer but also likes to hit. I've seen him get away with some obvious boarding and charging calls along with some pretty late hits. Crosby is one who seems to get touched and draws penalties like there is no tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and their is something to be said about someone who gets in the play and draws penalties....but you lay a finger on the guy and off to the box you go.

I'd just like to see some consistency in how things are handled by the league is all. I don't think it needs to be set standards for certain types of infractions, but instead, review the play in it's entirety and base the penalties off of the actions of the players involved in the incident. They need to leave player names, history and reputation out of the equation. In the end, yes it is speculation. But things are so inconsistent it leaves a lot of fans wondering if they are just rolling the dice on suspensions or how the process even works.

GO CANUCKS!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OnAFly

• jwmiller33

• cbrooks

• JimBuck

OV has been suspended for a few of his hits. It is playoff hockey. You are playing for the Stanley Cup. If you are not willing to do what it takes to win, you should not be out there.

If a player swings his stick at another, whether he hits him or not it is a penalty. I believe they let it go because it gets players fired up and fans excited.

I think we are on page 10 now talking playoff hockey.

Boston NEEDS to play physical to beat Vancouver. If they don't speed and skill wins. If you don't have talent(speed and skill) you have to play physical to slow them down.

after watching last nights game, the Wild have a long way to go in the talent and skill game. Wow! That was a fun and physical game. But there wasn't enough coverage of the green men!!! Cmon NBC

Headed to Vancouver for Game 7. Fans in Candada should be going nuts. Should be a close game to decide it all.

Wow what an odd series, not sure I have every seen a team blow open games at home like Boston.

I don't really care who wins, maybe slightly favoring Boston but I can see the Canucks pulling out a tight game to win the cup. OT would be fun.

It's me and you Bear, again, I agree what a disaster for Vancouver at Boston outscored 17-3 in the last 3 in Red Sox nation. Almost like oh well we know we're headed back home so if we get down too much we'll just kinda play along and head back to B.C. So used to those tight checking, tight defense Stanley Cup finals games it has been really different. Sorta leaning Boston too, Cam Neely was my idol growing up, these poor guys aren't going to have much of an off-season but to the winner that won't matter, I think Luongo needs to de-grease the brillcreme a bit, what a greased up mess he has lol.

This is going to be a crying shame if Vancouver pulls this out after the way Boston has shellacked them in this series. Oh wait there is no crying in Hockey!.. smile

Go Bruins!

What was Luongo saying about "pumping the breaks"??? I wonder how his words tasted while he was sitting on the bench yesterday. Karma is a great thing.

This series has really been interesting... When the games were at Van, they were 1 goal games. When the games were at Boston, the Bruins won by 7, 4, and 3 goals. It seems like if Van comes to play, they can skate with Boston, but Boston is the much more consistent team.

Seriously Luongo! How can you be soooooo terrible in Boston. That first goal was soft...really soft. The second one wasn't as bad but still, he should have stopped it. The third was a screen, tough goal. It would have been more of a positional save than seeing the puck and stopping it.

Onto Vancouver. Go Canucks!!!

EDIT: If Vancouver plays their game and Luongo plays like he has at home, the Canucks will win this. If either of those don't happen, Boston will hoist the cup.

What does Luongo's favorite pillow look like, likely enough grease to scrape off and repack my bearing buddies. I'm glad I'm not Henrik Sedin, actually I wish I was, but I'd hate to go goal less in the finals, his kids someday will ask daddy how many goals did you score when you won the cup ? There's the kicker, if he can score tomorrow night Vancouver wins ! Actually, I was fairly intoxicated last night, did he score one of the 2 last night lol ? Got a grain belt headache today. Want to see Claude Julien start Chara & McQuaid on D, Lucic,Thornton and Campbell and come out banging the body. I want to see Cam Neely come flying out of the pressbox area, find Ulf Samuelsson, and finish Ulffy ! I predict 3-2 Vancouver with Luongo greasing up the trophy only to hand it to Burrows to drop it.

I can't stand the east coast and the eastern teams but on that note GO BRUINS, no chance in He!! that I'm pulling for a canadian team let alone one in my teams division!!

What does Luongo's favorite pillow look like, likely enough grease to scrape off and repack my bearing buddies. I'm glad I'm not Henrik Sedin, actually I wish I was, but I'd hate to go goal less in the finals, his kids someday will ask daddy how many goals did you score when you won the cup ? There's the kicker, if he can score tomorrow night Vancouver wins ! Actually, I was fairly intoxicated last night, did he score one of the 2 last night lol ? Got a grain belt headache today. Want to see Claude Julien start Chara & McQuaid on D, Lucic,Thornton and Campbell and come out banging the body. I want to see Cam Neely come flying out of the pressbox area, find Ulf Samuelsson, and finish Ulffy ! I predict 3-2 Vancouver with Luongo greasing up the trophy only to hand it to Burrows to drop it.

Haha! The greaseball comments about Luongo are pretty good. I'm also gonna stick with Vancouver for the win....4-2.

GO CANUCKS!

I can't stand the east coast and the eastern teams but on that note GO BRUINS, no chance in He!! that I'm pulling for a canadian team let alone one in my teams division!!

I could actually root for the Canadians or Leafs over a few of our teams, Boston included. But there's something about the Canucks that has irked me over the years.

Bruins 3-1 with an empty netter... wink

same here about the canucks, just something about them, maybe still the whole Bertuzzi thing from years back.. Go Bruins

Nucks just have to many hateable players. Although there are a couple I wouldn't mind seeing on the Wild team.

Mason Raymond has a fractured vertebra, so he'll be in street clothes for the final game tonight. Bruins fans were calling him a diver on the injury smile

Boychuck's hit was late, Raymond didn't have the puck, Raymond was in a vulnerable position and Raymond is out for the year.

He dove as much as Horton dove.

My head is saying 3-1 Canucks with an empty netter to seal it. Slightly hoping for a 2-1OT Boston win.

Me too. There should be supplementary discipline for Boychuck, but there won't be.

You can't just can opener a guys but into the boards. Boychuck knew exactly what he was doing. Raymond could have been paralyzed.

Diver ? I hope those saying so were drunk as you need a bad injury to not keep playing, they all know hey we may never get this chance again to play for the title, that was really an awkward play/check/etc. That's right I forgot I don't like Vancouver but without Bertuzzi and Brad May was it he who fought Wild tough guy " Kimmy Johansson " ? Equivalent would've been Boogaard dropping Ohlund, anyway the boys will finally get to shave, eat a meal of their choice, and get drunker than Harry Carey (RIP). What a season.

The hit was dirty, but what was with the crowd? Hate seeing a former Duluth alum go down like that, especially given the timing. I want to root for Boston tonight, but am having a hard time. Guess I'll just watch for the entertainment value, not sure I really like either team.

Honestly, going into the playoffs I didn't really like any one team either. I just can't root for Boston. It's Boston!!!

I don't like seeing hits like this. They are avoidable, add nothing to the game, and are just done with intent to injure. Same goes for the Rome hit on Horton. These guys need to have more respect for each other out there.

BTW, after Boychuck gets back to the bench you see Julien pat him on the back. Yeah, great job Brad. You nearly killed a guy. You should be proud.

I got no problem with that hit. Looks like he just road him into the boards. and finished his check. I do have a problem if at the end he increased the pressure and drove him harder into the boards at the last second. I just cant tell on that video. But if he did indeed give him a shot at the end he should get suspended.

I didn't know he was a bulldog but now thinking back that name is very familiar. A strange play for sure. My bit of love for Boston isn't so much the guys they have now, it was the Ray Bourque's, Cam Neely, Jay Miller, Nevin Marquart just kidding he had the lamest helmet in the NHL with Mike Foligno of course. Even Gretzky's Jofa puke blue never liked it, anyway it's good to see games on NBC, I live in a MN town where people say hockey what's that but now many have come to me saying wow, hockey is a great game to watch for sure, fast, no timeouts, etc. Canada can have their Olympic Gold, 50.5 to 49.5 I want Boston and want Cam Neely to bump into Ulffy in the concourse and take an axe handle to his thigh. smile

And I'd buy you the first round of drinks [pleasebecomeasponsor]. Wasn't it Ulf that basically ended Neely's career with the knee to the thigh, that filled with calcium, surgery and Neely made darn sure he'd be back to at least play Pittsburgh I think that's where Ulffy was at that time. Mike Emrick had the best line when Ulffy was with Hartford, wild free for all ensued, Rick Tocchet ended up with Ulffy who got bloodied up pretty good with 1 punch here goes " Worst 2 ways to wade into a fight, jersey over head, helmet off " he also would add about Neely fighting, he's strong and left handed which surprises people. Well if I had a plan to maybe go with Neely I might ask Joe Cirella how it went when he was a Nordique I think. Can't wait for the game especially if I'm mentioning Ulffy and Joe Cirella.