• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 2 - Ppfftt-doom BOOM!

Wanderer

well we had a tornado warning last night, woods were soaked this morning. very foggy. i set up in the lower field below a possible roosting area, and my two buddies (having never shot a bird) went to the prime spot on the other side of the ridge.

5 birds gobbling like mad all morning, about halfway up the ridge from me. There was a hen about 75 yards below me talking to the gobblers.... but they went toward my buddies, who called them in to 30 yards and missed them clean.

good to know there are birds in the area, hopefully we can get another crack at them

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wanderer

• hugonian1

• Cheetah

• Sorgy

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on a scouting mission this morning. No gobbles on the roost but I did find a pair of toms right at my first mornings setup grin It narrowed down my options for the first morning- A field corner that has nice hardwoods behind it. I will be there with a young intruder strutting for his hens cool

Was anyone else out this morning in the North Metro area? How was the gobbling this morning compared to yesterday? It was a little windy in Isanti County at wakeup time.

Good Luck

Steve

i'll post an update in about 14 hours since we can only hunt until noon for turkeys (and not on sunday, for anything)

Geez, that makes me glad we're only cut off from new cars and beer... crazy

My scouting yesterday went fairly well. We still have birds in the usual areas but I'd like to see a little more action around the farm house. I left me trail camera out where I shot my last bird to monitor the spot for the next couple weeks.

Aside from that, we did land smack dab in the middle of a large flock right away in the morning. The Boss only had about a 6 inch beard and there were a lot of jakes along with the hens. They wound up walking right to our hiding spot between a clump of thistles and a cedar tree. Man, we flattened out on the ground and layed as still as possible as they lightly putted and checked out at about 6 feet!

We were able to successfully imitate farm trash and they finally walked off, none too alarmed. That was a rush!

We did scope out a group of long beards on the other side of the valley though. About 5 toms all hanging out together. Between all the sparring the jakes were doing and the toms being on their own, it tells me the winter flocks are just about to break up and the boys are about to start figuring out who the REAL Boss is. grin

We were able to successfully imitate farm trash and they finally walked off, none too alarmed. That was a rush!

Must be down southern mn up around home here we have to imitate trailer trash shockedeeklaugh

Well guy's I up to bat tomorrow 6:00 AM grin Do I bring the big or little hammer with wink Hopefully the weather will somewhat cooperate. I am heading home after work, grabbing some gear, and setting up my blind incase of rain. I have my first spot set up and ready to rock gringrin

The tom's in 227 better be ready. I have the trailer trash sweet talking down smile

Good Luck to all

Steve

Off to bed tonight. I hope the 3 "muscle relaxers"(cold ones) wink do the job tonight. 3:45 will come very quickly eek Set up a blind incase it is raining tomorrow. My main setup location is loolking good winkwink I want it to work out great but then it is over too soon confused

There are tons of acorns this spring. Could be why we arent seeing as many birds in the field crazy More and more turkey sign every day in my area smilecool

Good Luck

Steve

Sounds like your spot is on the up tick. cool

Do you take a bird on the first day?? Eh, smoke em if you got em. Things can change in a hurry and our weather forecast isn't great.

Must be down southern mn up around home here we have to imitate trailer trash shockedeeklaugh

Who's imitating??? winkgrin

Well guys I'm heading out on Saturday to scout for next week. My tag is good from the 23rd to the 27th. Getting excited to go, i talked to the guy that owns the land today and he said that he's been hearing them gobble in the mornings, so hopefully I'll be able to stick one right away. grin

Well guy's - zippedy do da for me so far. I decided to sit today out. Yesterdays winds made for a very futile effort. I did not hear or see any turkeys.

Wedesday opener recap

4:08 AM walk out of the house to calm winds and 55 degrees gringrinwink

4:30 AM step out of the car at my hunting location- wind blowing and swirling frownfrown

5:15 AM Decoys are set- wind is not as bad as I previously thought - I am optimistic smirk

6:00 AM - Skunk walks by in range down wind and I let him walk confused I should have blasted him with a load of #5's 2c-Still waiting to hear a gobble confusedconfused

6:02 AM The Rain starts madmad

6:45 the rain quits and it is a pleasant morning- but the gobblers are all on the ground and not gobbling anymore- I suspect wink

7:30 A lone hen is sitting on the edge of the field- She walks into the edge of the woods and I waited for a few minutes - then I started some yelps and she yelped back wink

7:40 The hen came out of the woods and marched right over to B-Mobile - Then she circled the brush pile I was sitting in looking for the other hen. I directed my call in the other direction and she ran a big semi circle over to where she just came from- then she started getting [PoorWordUsage] off - Cutting me off with cutts.

That hen performed almost every call a hen can make. She hung around until almost 9:00 AM just back behind me and every time I made a call she let it be know that she was not happy playing hide and go seek gringringrin

She made yelps, purrs, clucks, Cutts, putts and some other ungodly aweful sound like a bad box call would make crazycrazy

It is the experiences to interact with these birds that is so much fun and I was having a ball. She was so loud with her cutts and stuff that I just let her have it wink

Wednesday was a great day in the woods. I did not see or hear any tom's / gobbles all day confusedcrazyblushfrown

Well this evening is not looking any better - high winds and rain. Saturday and Sunday to follow.

Good Luck to everyone

Steve

p.s. I have worked out a fantastic folding fan holder for my B-Mobile and it gave some motion to the decoy almost all day without falling off. I used one of the folding fan holders that I got at Fleet Farm where you glue each feather into a bracket and then glue a string to the feathers to help hold a constant spaceing to the tail feathers once opened- It is a bigger piece of plastic than the Primos fan holder( I forgot the name). When you leave the wing nut loose the tail blows up vertical then falls back down into a 3/4 strut position and back. I had to go and add a strip of Velcro to the bottom of the fan holder and the other to the base of B-Mobile to keep the fan from falling off- it worked great wink

At least you had some action Sorgy. Surprised that hen didn't bring in at least a jake.

Yeah, that surprises me too. Makes me wonder if any toms are around. I know you've been scouting but did the boys move on to another area?

Tough conditions to hunt in though. Who knows what D will bring but this weather is the reason I don't like early seasons.

Good luck Steve, we're pullin for ya!

Well we are on the board laugh I went out after work and tried a different area. Just as the sleet pelets started hitting me the sacrificial Jake blushblush steped out in to the field. He was skirting by at 60 yards eyeing up the B-Mobile and floppy fan and my hen decoy- then the fan went up into the full strut position for 15 seconds and he closed the gap to 8 yards then started to putt and walk away. being a jake I was not to interested in getting the shot but if he went behind a tree and gave me the chance then it was all over whistle With the forcast and the heavy pressure I saw the first two days I figured time to put a wrap on it.

I think that your chances of drawing "A" season next year are getting better with this weather sick

here are some fo the stats Beard 3 1/4 " left and right spurs 1/8" and 1/8" and a wopping 12.99 pounds eekeeksmilesmile

it would have been easy to sit back and wait for the wind to die but I had a spot in a little hollow. Cant kill turkeys from the couch wink

Good luck everyone

Pics ar on my phone and I may have to get some help getting them off tomorrow. Now It is up to the rest of the team to puch out 4 nice birds and put mine off the board. By the way what does he score????? blush

Congrat's Sorgy and with the weather the way it is and what it's going to be makes hard hunting. Score is 21.9375

Well I put up my blind yesterday, I was out looking around and came up on 3 toms around 1 hen. I actiually had them at 30 yards for a little while, the biggest tom tried to breed her while I was watching them, that was the first time I've ever seen that. Needless to say Saturday can't come soon enough.

I just got off the phone with my uncle who was out near Winner, SD this past weekend. Had some horrible weather, lots of snow, birds all flocked up still.

We are leaving Thursday for Rapid City. I expect Friday I'll have some news on how things are out that way. Forecast is a bit chilly for next weekend, in the 50's, then snow mix on Monday/Tuesday. Better shoot my bird early I guess.

Sorgy, you might be able to hook your phone up to a computer with a USB cable and pull down the pictures that way.

nice, way to go Sorgy! No shame in shooting a jake.

I haven't been able to get out recently, weather in Virginia has been crazy with tornadoes and high winds, plus finishing up my thesis proposal.

Hopefully later this week or next I will make it back out

Congrats on the crappy weather bird Sorgy. I think my jake beat your jake by a whole 1/2 lb! blush

Good luck on your SoDak hunt Josh! Those spring snowstorms are just par for the course out there!

Good to see we've got a bird down. Nice work Steve. cool

I thought we'd gain some advantage by having another team member in the southeastern part of the U.S. But who would have guessed the weather would be that crazy?! Good luck with your thesis proposal anyway GBM.

Josh, the last time I was in the hills we got blasted by a late afternoon snow storm that laid a couple inches down in something like an hour - it was rediculous. But it was so beautiful when it was over and the sun came out I had to get up and take some pictures. THAT was a mistake. My calling during the snowstorm brought in a hen and tom and they busted me. Don't worry about the weather out there so much is all I'm saying. smile

Goes til May 14 I believe

Starting May 1 we can hunt all day, currently can only hunt til noon

I made it to Rapid City! Forecast for tomorrow is [PoorWordUsage], but we might get a few hours of hunting in first thing in the morning before the main storm blows through.

My weather radio said 6" snow forecasted for the northern hills tomorrow and 50mph wind gusts, fortunately we are on the southern end. We'll see how it goes.

Go get em Cheetah.

My buddy dropped a nice Tom this morning on my property in Hugo.

My sons season starts Saturday and then I am up for season E.

Have been seeing quite a few birds so I hope they hang around.

Even saw a bearded hen yesterday.

Well I'm up tomorrow morning guys, 4:30 can't come soon enough. Hopefully I can stick one right away. It sounds like the weather shouldn't be too bad. I'm also going to be out all day Monday and Tuesday.