• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Ten hockey 2013-14

cbrooks

OnAFly I think that would make everyone in MN happy, who cares about everyone else.

There isn't much the WCHA and the UofM could do to stop this, just kind of hope the Big 10 would leave us alone but they see a cash grab and went for it.

Recruiting is an interesting subject, I see Denver, Sioux, MN, WI with no worries. However could see some other big 10 teams pulling a few MN kids away from some of the other MN schools every now and then. It will be a battle for sure.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2 programs pushing for the B10 were Wisconsin, and of course Penn State. I agree that MN had to go along for the ride, but certainly wasn't pushing for the change. The B10 will have to either get some other non B10 programs to join up in FB, BB, and hockey or go out and get those B10 programs now to add hockey (more likely). 6 teams is not going to cut it for more than a year or two. I'm sure there are already plans to expand.

My interest in the B10 is pretty low now, I'm more wondering how all of the scenarios for the remaining conference plays out. I agree on the recruiting landscape, it will be different in future years. I also agree that the remaining WCHA/CCHA teams need the B10 games a lot more than the other way around. Revenue losses could be pretty high for the smaller programs. There just isn't a steady enough flow to absorb the losses.

A) Super conference with the remaining WCHA/CCHA powers: Boo even if this includes outside fringe schools like Duluth, St Cloud, Collorado College, etc. Would be absolute small program killer. Although I wouldn't blame schools like Denver, Miami, and UND for their motivation.

B) Merging of WCHA and CCHA with sub divisions. Maybe makes a little more sense and should protect the smaller programs. But it's ALOT of negotiations that must be made to get agreement from everyone. Also I don't see the WCHA needing this near as much as the CCHA.

C) Redistribution of teams within WCHA and CCHA. Team swap where we get Fairbanks and they get Tech would make sense. More extreme cases might have team moves intended to better balance the competition. Air Force for example could be added to the WCHA with one more team moved to CCHA. Duluth or Cloud to CCHA, etc. But travel costs are always a factor so I don't see this progressing very far. It would also be pretty difficult to get league approval unless it was just a Fairbanks for Tech swap which makes monetary sense.

D) Do nothing approach. I just can't see the CCHA surviving with all members intact beyond 3 or 4 years.

E) Any other wacky ideas out there?

Haha. I like your thinking OnaFly.

There's one college I know thats manage to pizz off the Big ten. Notre Dame. Any college that tells big ten where to stick it I'm a fan of.

All good stuff solbes.

Yah notre dame has shat on the big 10 so many times. I wonder if the big 10 is so mad about them that they would create some hockey conference and offer notre dame hockey a spot in return notre dame football would join the big 10...................

]All good stuff solbes.

Yah notre dame has shat on the big 10 so many times. I wonder if the big 10 is so mad about them that they would create some hockey conference and offer notre dame hockey a spot in return notre dame football would join the big 10...................

Interesting...That would be something to watch for. This big ten garbarge is more of a downer than when UND lose its nickname.

As far as the difficulty of getting recruits goes. If the supporters of the B10 are saying it will help spread interest in hockey, I would like them to take a look at the NHL. They expanded into places that have no interest in hockey and a whole lot of interest in other sports. What they accomplished was a watering down of the talent pool and the alienation of some big hockey markets.

Like has been said before (but bears repeating) someone saw a quick buck and neglected to look at the whole picture (or the consequences).

I wonder what the long term plan is here. Sounds like a lot of speculation. What if these big 10 schools don't start programs. Or what if min, mich and wisc turn the supposed future joiners into a bunch of mich techs or AA"s. You know. How good can it be for them to start programs and just get their tails kicked. Is the big 10 going to have minimum areana capacity rules. Are they going to expect iowa and nebraska and ill to really build rinks if they don't have them.

Sounds like to me we are just being used by the big 10 and if it fails, we are the ones who look dumb.

Ohio stats the king of all sports programs and penn state look like the only ones who benefit.

People mention miami as a power or big name for a supper conf. Pffff ohio state will take those kids after a few good years

A) Super conference with the remaining WCHA/CCHA powers: Boo even if this includes outside fringe schools like Duluth, St Cloud, Collorado College, etc. Would be absolute small program killer. Although I wouldn't blame schools like Denver, Miami, and UND for their motivation.

B) Merging of WCHA and CCHA with sub divisions. Maybe makes a little more sense and should protect the smaller programs. But it's ALOT of negotiations that must be made to get agreement from everyone. Also I don't see the WCHA needing this near as much as the CCHA.

C) Redistribution of teams within WCHA and CCHA. Team swap where we get Fairbanks and they get Tech would make sense. More extreme cases might have team moves intended to better balance the competition. Air Force for example could be added to the WCHA with one more team moved to CCHA. Duluth or Cloud to CCHA, etc. But travel costs are always a factor so I don't see this progressing very far. It would also be pretty difficult to get league approval unless it was just a Fairbanks for Tech swap which makes monetary sense.

D) Do nothing approach. I just can't see the CCHA surviving with all members intact beyond 3 or 4 years.

A and D are not acceptable.I like example B. It looks out for the smaller colleges.

I like B or some form of C I guess.

Did anyone hear that Tom Anastos, current CCHA commish, just took the head coaching job at Michigan State, soon to be in the B10 conferece? How weird is that?

Did anyone hear that Tom Anastos, current CCHA commish, just took the head coaching job at Michigan State, soon to be in the B10 conferece? How weird is that?

I did see that. He must be looking for job security.

Hey Scott,

Just saw a sharp looking 2003 Ranger 617 full windshield with a Johnzuki 140 + bow/transom trolling motors for sale in the TC area. Listed at 17,5k. which seems like a pretty good deal. It's over on Walleyes Inc.

Not sure what the hockey tie in is, but hey I just typed the word hockey.

Really. Oh boy I've gotta chbeck. That is perfect. I thought my wife hated you guys before. She will take my computer away now if you are refering me boats.

I thought that was the bet. I'm usually close to sedation from drinking on here and forgot there was a new bet. I need to get that thing off. Can't do it from my phone tho.

Pretty sure the bet was for signatures, plus the Sioux need to win the NCAA championship for us to lose now.

Pretty sure the bet was for signatures, plus the Sioux need to win the NCAA championship for us to lose now.

Yep. I mention it yesterday when Scott was having happy hour. He must of miss it grin

"]I thought that was the bet. I'm usually close to sedation from drinking on here and forgot there was a new bet. I need to get that thing off. Can't do it from my phone tho.

I think it looks good on you, buddy. Fess up. You're secretly enjoying flying the Sioux colors. gringrin

Hey bear are those antlers or horns. Does that bear/buck ever come around the cities. I might go look for antlers in the MN river valley in my back yard this weekend and would love to find those.

Gosh darn happy hours.

How do you like that picture now. And here you thought I was out at the bar. I am available to design the new logos next year if you need.

]Hey bear are those antlers or horns. Does that bear/buck ever come around the cities. I might go look for antlers in the MN river valley in my back yard this weekend and would love to find those.

Gosh darn happy hours.

Good question, I will have to give it some serious thought.

I suppose Notre Dame doesn't want to play with a bunch of tiny schools so they are going to huff and puff until they get their way. This is probably going to turn into a giant mess, thanks Big 10.

Good link. Kind of confirms a lot of what has been talked about. Like merging WCHA and CCHA having about one chance in a million of working. Also confirms that they are worried about the CCHA's future. And his comment about not expanding is pretty much the death toll for UAH. I don't know how long they can survive down there as an independent. Not long I would imagine.