• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Ten hockey 2013-14

cbrooks

Could Duluth draw a crowd for the Final Five tourney? Its a big enough city.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they consider amsoil a big enough venue. I think the x is by far the best place. I talked to some wcha folks this weekend and they said they were constrclucting a 2 year extension for the next 2 seasons. After that they are looking at uno, the ralph and the x. Sounds like as far as travel does they are worried about the ralph, bad weather, far away and limited flights for anyone to get there.

the x will loose a lot of season ticket holders for the tourny because most of them are gophers. By then bemidji and uno should have more fans tho. I say stay at the x. Its the best tourny in sports.

Where else would all the und folks go for spring break.

By the way. I only know of about 10 people kicked out over the weekend. All sioux fans and all tanked. 1 guy was even listed in stable condition when he was trasfered to the hosp.

]. 1 guy was even listed in stable condition when he was trasfered to the hosp.

What is the story there?

Ofcoarse we get an auto bid for winning the big 10 tourny too.

I don't like this big 10 stuff one bit.. haven't met someone who does.

We get 14 non league games........I hope each min school for a series. And nodak. They will switch the showcase from mich and mich state to maybe nodak and someone.......

Big 10 with 6 schools, that's what is so strange. It will be kinda boring with only 6.

I'm sure they will try to either expand the Big 10 football/BB/hockey by trying to add another strong hockey program or two or by taking football/BB schools and trying to start up new hockey programs.

But honestly that will be kinda weird. Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana. Do any of these teams even have club teams or D2/3 programs?

Oh and I agree with Scott, Amsoil just doesn't have the seats to make the F5 highly profitable. It's at 6600 capacity. Although it is large enough to host some 4 team tournaments on Holiday weekends, maybe they'll draw one of those now.

In concept I think that it's a good move to have a Big 10 hockey conference, but I think in 10 years our non-conference games will trend towards other teams outside of Minnesota. It will be a gradual erosion of our WCHA rivalry games. Maybe they'll truly try to lock those down, but I see money driving everything and you never know where that driver is going to take the bus!

So me, always thinking about money.....I am no longer setting up a college fund for my kid....pray I have a boy someday. Who in this state is not going to be able to get a scholarship if we start adding all these teams......honestly. Sounds dumb but Can you imagine if they were all around when we were playing. Before you reply, yes I do realize hockey in growing in diferent areas. But if your kid is like 12 right now. man, those are better odds.

Brooks, They found a 30 year old Sioux fan after the 1st period friday, unconscious in his seat. they brought him to the medical room where they keep all the Sioux fans and couldnt get much of a pulse out of him. They transferred him to Regions then.

I guess he hadnt done any eating and just drank for 2 days - He was quoting saying "he had been hanging out with Danny Kristo and Matt Frattin for the last couple days"

I might have made up the quote...I think I am getting funnier as the Gophers get worse.

I think your already are. I'm been laughing at your sh!t all year.

But I Hope its no one I know. eek

]I might become a comedian next year......

And here I've been laying off the rodents thinking they have enough misery. Let me see what I can come up with that won't put me on FM healthy scratch list.

In concept I think that it's a good move to have a Big 10 hockey conference, but I think in 10 years our non-conference games will trend towards other teams outside of Minnesota. It will be a gradual erosion of our WCHA rivalry games. Maybe they'll truly try to lock those down, but I see money driving everything and you never know where that driver is going to take the bus!

You have a great point here with money being the driver and where its going to take college hockey. Here's a link that will take you to a couple of articles that asked the same question your asking in detail. Make sure to read the article at College Hockey News by Adam Wodon.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=87538

]Brooks, They found a 30 year old Sioux fan after the 1st period friday, unconscious in his seat. they brought him to the medical room where they keep all the Sioux fans and couldnt get much of a pulse out of him. They transferred him to Regions then.

I like the underlined part, drew a pretty good laugh. Who else but the Sioux fans can support all of those bars around the X? We'd probably lose 3 or 4 of them if the tourney moved.

Its all in good fun. Back when I use to drink and where ever I would go in the United States people could tell if I was from North Dakota or northern Minnesota. I'm not trying to make a joke its a fact. There isn't many of us but we make a lasting impression on some people. Does anybody know any Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes? smile

Brooks, it could have been the dirty clothes, the stink, the bad breath, the smell of white eagle vodka and the lost and brooken look in your eyes.

I can always tell because north dakotans always think red traffic lights require the same action as a railroad crossing. Cruse up, take foot off gas, look both ways, and continue on your way. You guys do realize your suppose to wait for the green light.......

I saw a funny article about the concern of the sioux fans invading green bay this weekend. Pretty cool article. Ill see if I can remember.

"they brought him to the medical room where they keep all the Sioux fans"

I have to say that was my favorite line too.

Make sure to read the article at College Hockey News by Adam Wodon.

That was a good article, a lot of unknowns right now but it just seems like the negative far out weigh the positives in this one. The people making these decisions only care about the $$$ and that just isn't a good situation for college hockey right now.

I don't know if I hate the sioux the most or anything boston. I think I hate the sioux more but would rather they beat boston.

Boston u

Boston c

Yale

Miami . No real reason, just annoyed with them. Are they actually good.....

Noter dame

Cornell

Iguess that's my list.

Yeah, I think you gotta keep the regular season hatred separate from the NCAA tourney time.

Regular Season hatred:

1) UND figthing Sioux if for no other reason than they are loud, brash, and usually good enough to back it up.

2) Denver, just have no love for Gwoz and his team, though I have some respect

Post Season hatred:

1) BC, BC, and did I mention Boston College?

2) Michigan

3) Miami (for knocking out 2 Minny teams 2 years ago)

Man my hate list has changed a lot over the years.

At the top has to be Sioux, Denver, WI, Michigan, BU, & BC.

I think I use to have St Cloud, Northern Michigan, Maine, Lake Superior State. Hard to believe NM and LSSU use to dominate college hockey. Too young to hate Michigan Tech but they use to be wicked good too.

Oh I hate the Boston schools during the regular season and even more in the postseason. The Gopher hatred ends when the postseason begins - as long as they aren't playing the Sioux or Beavers. They are still representing MN and the WCHA so I have to cheer for them in most cases.

I agree about Miami being annoying too. I don't really care for them. Maybe it has to do with a coach named Enrico?

I want Michigan to keep losing too - only so the Sioux can catch up in the National Championship totals.

It used to be Boston College but as soon as Penn St has a hockey program they will be my most hated team.

How could I leave out Penn State, ya there will be some hate coming their way. Maybe a decade at the bottom of the the new BTC will be their punishment.

Stinking penn state. I hate em......they took down the wcha and they don't even have a team yet

Dang, more hate. frown

Just getting the Gopher fans fired up smile but I really do hate Penn St to think of it. Hey Steve, your two favorite teams are in sperate conferences now. You must like that in a way?

No, cb, I'm going to miss the rivalries I've been paying attention to for the last 38 years. I know some of the teams will still play each other, but it won't be the same. Plus, the rodents have gone on record that they won't play the Sioux if the Sioux keep the nickname and they are in difference conferences, so there might go one longtime and cherished rivalry.

garbage... breaking up the wcha is just garbage

I agree 100%. If I was the WCHA I wouldnt schedule any of them Big 6 Teams ever again. Let them sit and play out their own little 6 team tourney!