• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I want to thank the locals ahead of time for all the extra work they do with keeping us posted with reports. It saves people alot of time and money, especially with the uprising gas prices.

I hear ya man. We will do our best to keep everyone up to date. Between BD110 and myself I think we got it covered.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• dougger222

• Lhmoobvaj

• lispeej

Hey Load just get the mail out on time would ya! grin

Its that time of year where boredom really takes over and smelting and shore fishing is really all we have to talk about. Well and the Twin Ports Walleye Association Tournament May 21/22 that you need to get signed up for. wink

See ya on the beach man.

I will also clean my smelt before eating them. Dip in Shorelunch Beer Batter and YUMMMYYYYY!!

How much and where are u guys buying your christiansen nets for/from?

Goggle this and you should find the info you're looking for.

(H. Christiansen Co.) - We Specialize in Custom Made Nets

We buy them from Christiansen nets themselves and prices vary with what you get. I highly suggest a sock. Its been so long I cant remember what I paid for mine.

I have 3 christensen sains with the big basket if you need one I could part with two of them. I am not getting bait any more so no need to have three? But one for fun and to get a good meal just send me a pm. they did there job heck next to free just let me now. But there are a lot of FM's with good nets and willing to share. Every year BD110 is always willing to help people out I would take him up on it he is always there to help out and tell you the right way to pull. Take Him up on his offer you will be happy you did.

Hey Tom...PM sent (maybe...not sure how to use that feature) or give me a call please @ 218-428-6258 thanks:)

What we do, go home and rinse them off and then freeze without cleaning. Then thaw and clean and cook. Does not seem to effect the fish.>>>>later the load

I've froze panfish and northerns whole and cleaned them after thawing without problem. Never tried with smelt. Do they stay firm when you do this? Would sure be nice cleaning them a pack at a time when I eat them rather than staying up all night cleaning when smelting! I'd probably do a better job of cleaning.

Truthfully I find smelt that have been frozen not as good as fresh smelt. Yes I will eat them but not as many as fresh smelt. Im like that with any fish. I much prefer to eat them the day or day after I catch them.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Typically I'll clean about 2 gallons, refrigerate them and have them eaten in 5 days.

Yes fresh is better then frozen but if you want a smelt feed later on you have no choice but to freeze them and they are still pretty darn good.

I freeze my smelt whole and have been doing that for decades. Use ziplocks or milk cartoons and add water to force out the air.

I clean them after they thaw. Maybe I'll try deep frying some whole for myself but will definitely sort out the plump females.

Hear ya on the bordom Heading up to Leech Sunday and hunt for some Tullies. Ice fishing is far from over. With this weather, we will be smelting in late May. I should not say this, but Mrs Smelt King dragged the nets out and was sewing them up yesterday. Talked to Dave N. and signed up. Now if I can just get off. This sounds like a good deal and a fun time>>>>later the load

The Smelt run can't come soon enough. I just fried up my last food sealed bag of Smelt from the 2010 season last night. I brought a nice big container to work today to enjoy as well. grin

For the record my Smelt had their heads and insides removed and they were just fine if you ask me!! I'll let someone else try the natural method. wink

Hear ya on the bordom Heading up to Leech Sunday and hunt for some Tullies. Ice fishing is far from over. With this weather, we will be smelting in late May. I should not say this, but Mrs Smelt King dragged the nets out and was sewing them up yesterday. Talked to Dave N. and signed up. Now if I can just get off. This sounds like a good deal and a fun time>>>>later the load

Nice to see you signed up for the Twin Ports Walleye Association Load its set to be a very good time and the fishing should be good too. wink I hope you get the weekend off to fish the Tourney with us.

It's nice to see everyone all hyped up for the smelt run. You guys are getting me excited! I bought a Christensen net last year and it cost about $150. Not cheap but it sure worked! Anyhow, I custom made one out of two nylon?? 5'x10' with a "sock" and this one works great! Got it at fleet farms. Mainly because it is a lighter material and it has less drag through the water.

I'm all ready for this year's action. Anyhow, keep us posted! I'm from the Cities so you guys are my number one source of info when it comes to knowing when the run is taking place. See ya.

- AL

The nylon will be ok but not what the Christiansen is. If you use it add plenty of weight to the bottom because that light nylon meshing tends to lift and blow back when pulling especially if you sewed a sock into it. Anythings better than nothing though.

Loadmaster and others. Might take you up on the use of those nets. Haven't been smelting in many years but used to have a blast in the 60's and 70's when they were running strong. What bridge do you guys fish under now?

We mostly pull the nets on the lakeshore of Park Point. Read above and I think BD110 listed areas to try.

smelt = cohos. let me know become i will get up early and cast from the canal area or from the beach.

It will take a long time for the ice on the beach to melt so don't get to worked up the lake is about 35.4 to 36 degrease so when it hits 40 they will spawn and be done so the ice will still be on the beach and hard to get the pulls in I would look at the streams.

A friend of mine pulls seins off private land in Ashland. He's thinking they'll be running under the ice this year.

He said there's a place down there you pay $10 a head to sein.

Most years I have been smelting, the smelt hit the beach to spawn when the water temp hits 42 degrease same goes for the rivers. The Lester was 34 degrease today and very hi. So if they go under the ice I have never seen that but the water temps need to be warmer than they are now.