• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who are you selling smelt to now that it cant be used for bait?

A lot of people who still love to eat fried smelt. Last night my dad and my buddy sold the rest of the supply, 30 gallons to one buyer. He drove down from Minneapolis to Hastings. My supply ran out on Monday but on Sunday got two calls which resulted in my buddy selling 35 gallons. He sold most of his supply on the side of the road at his buddys place of business in Hastings off 61.

My dad sold 5 gallons of hand picked big smelt for a guy who uses them on LOW. Others use them in ND and WI for bait.

With the price of fuel and no promise to drive from the Twin Cities to the North Shore to get smelt a lot of people like the idea of buying smelt from a private group for $10 a gallon.

Last I heard it's the only fish you can catch that has no limit and sell.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• dougger222

• Lhmoobvaj

• lispeej

Im wondering if bars can buy smelt from individuals to use at their smelt fries or if they have to use commercially caught smelt? Anyone know?

I called Cub Foods and this is what they told me. All the big grocery stores have to buy fish from USDA sources meaning commercial operations. The small grocery stores should not apply. I called a few small grocery stores and was told the same thing as Cub, that they had to be USDA approved.

Called a few VFW's and Lions clubs and none were interested in buying smelt for a smelt fry.

Won't go that deep into my sources for moving smelt but we sold out this year which was hundreds of gallons of smelt! To the best of my knowleadge all the smelt purchased was for personal use. You sell some to one group they tell another group and you got another sale. Like Thund we had several repeat buyers this year. BTW, welcome to the forums!!!

No replies because they will be cleaning and packaging for 6 years. LOL

LOL!!!

We packaged a lot of smelt. A friend of mine went smelting twice with us for the first time in his life and had a blast and enjoyed eating them as well. He kept, cleaned, and froze about 40 gallons of smelt and plans to feed his family of 7 every two weeks with smelt. He bought a small freezer just for smelt!

My Dad has enough smelt for one meal a week until next year! My buddy has been cleaning the rest of his personal supply for two days! Personaly spent about 10 hours cleaning smelt but have buyers lined up for the frozen smelt. Will keep enough for one meal a month though. When I want smelt but no mess will just go to my dads!

Personaly enjoy eating smelt that came out of the freezer as much as fresh smelt.

hey I am traveling from sheboygan wi up to ashland wher all the smelt are if anyone can give me some easy directions and possibly a spot or to that we will get lots. also maybe a phone number incase we get lost thanks.

Lovetofishbass: If I were you, I would check with the locals there or check the Ashland Chamber of Commerce first. Why?? Because I just came back from there on Monday night and it was pretty slow - maybe 5 gallons for four people running two nets. I assume the smelt run is winding down. It has been running for over a week now. I just don't want you to waste your time.

I might try out Park Point this Thursday or Friday night. I will keep everyone update.

thanks for ur info and Im hopeing ther is something up ther for me once im ther god will be on my side and then i just need a spot if i can find any lol

hey I am traveling from sheboygan wi up to ashland wher all the smelt are if anyone can give me some easy directions and possibly a spot or to that we will get lots. also maybe a phone number incase we get lost thanks.

A couple years ago the run was not happening on the North Shore so drove to Ashland. We had never been there before so we asked several people were to smelt. Nobody told us and after driving in circles we went home.

To be honest I'd save your fuel and not bother going to Ashland. More than likely the water has warmed up and the smelt are out. Typicaly the first smelt run on Superior is in Ashland and from there they run to Duluth and up the north shore.

I agree with dougger222. I wouldn't even waste my time in Ashland. Like I said, the last trip was a waste of time for me and the weather was not bad at all. On our first trip, we got over 4 coolers but that was last week already.

Will someone keep us posted on this Thursday or Friday at Lester or Park Point? I want to go and try my luck one more time. Appreciated it

Stopped by the Lester around 9:30 on my way back from fishing the knife. There were a dozen guys or so, however it did not look very productive

My dad sold 5 gallons of hand picked big smelt for a guy who uses them on LOW. Others use them in ND and WI for bait.

EH is there something wrong here?

well thanks for the info but im sure somewhere up ther ill get more than the couple im getting here so im gnna give it a try anyways and if not ther then duluth and everywher else up north

well everyone is tellin me to stay home but im stil goin to go cus thats how i am but if u could tell me wher park point is from ashland that would be wonderful

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

EH is there something wrong here?

Quote:
Um, he bought them and plans to use them on LOW. We have a no return policy on fresh smelt! If they can't be used on a border water he'll have to deal with the reprocusions.

You can't use Lake Superior Smelt for bait anywhere in the state of MN.

Not to harp on the subject but selling smelt to a person that unknowingly plans to use them as bait then the seller should inform that person of the regs.

if bait shops cant sell lake superior smelt fresh or frozen i realy dont know how anyone can for bait purposes. good luck.

news release

All cisco and smelt used for bait must be preserved

(Released September 30, 2010)

To help prevent the spread of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) in Minnesota waters, anglers cannot use cisco or rainbow smelt as bait in any body of water effective Monday, Oct. 4.

The exception is those who use fish that have been preserved by a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) permit holder, using accepted methods known to make the virus inactive.

“This expedited, emergency rule was enacted to protect Minnesota’s inland waters from VHS, which is now present in Lake Superior,” said Linda Erickson-Eastwood, DNR fisheries program supervisor. “With cisco and whitefish netting season upon us, it’s imperative that people understand the new rule.”

In June, DNR classified Lake Superior as infested with VHS and prohibited public harvest of all bait from its waters. Cisco is known to carry VHS, and rainbow smelt are likely carriers. Both are popular baitfish used in Lake Superior and inland waters.

Erickson-Eastwood said it is likely that some private individuals harvested bait prior to the ban, froze it and plan to use it this winter, following in the footsteps of past tradition. The new rule prohibits such use. Also, under current law, smelt or cisco that were taken from designated infested waters cannot be preserved and used for bait.

Anglers who harvested and froze cisco and smelt for use this winter as bait can have it preserved and labeled by an authorized permit holder. Bait dealers, bait retailers, fish hatcheries, commercial netters, fish packers, fishing guides and aquatic farms may be permitted to preserve cisco and smelt for baitfish. For more information about getting an application to be permitted or who has been permitted, contact the DNR Section of Fisheries at 651-259-5213.

When fishing using preserved cisco or rainbow smelt as bait, anglers must have in their possession the label from the batch of bait being used. The label must contain the bait processor’s DNR permit number, the lot number, and the date of processing.

It is legal to harvest cisco and rainbow smelt for personal consumption in Lake Superior and Minnesota’s inland waters. VHS does not have any impact on humans through direct contact or via fish consumption.

If you can't use them for bait, the Thund foundation is always willing accept fresh Smelt for human consumption.

I'm also trying to plan when I should drive up from the cities. I probably only get one shot at this year's smelt and don't want to miss it. With the recent wind and cold presumably affecting water temperature and the lack of current reports, it seems like tonight could be iffy - although today's North and tonight's NW 5 MPH wind may be better for Park Point surf than the 10-15 SE forecast for the next couple of days after that.

What are the recommendations: Would my odds be better Thursday-Friday nights, or waiting until Saturday-Sunday nights?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

I'm also trying to plan when I should drive up from the cities. I probably only get one shot at this year's smelt and don't want to miss it. With the recent wind and cold presumably affecting water temperature and the lack of current reports, it seems like tonight could be iffy - although today's North and tonight's NW 5 MPH wind may be better for Park Point surf than the 10-15 SE forecast for the next couple of days after that.

What are the recommendations: Would my odds be better Thursday-Friday nights, or waiting until Saturday-Sunday nights?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

I think tonight is iffy as well with the recent weather we have had. I would wait until this weekend or maybe even until next week. Past few nights were not that great for Smelting.

So is it true you can use smelt as bait if they not out of lake superior? Say if you get smelt from an inland lake in MN can the smelt then be used for bait?

If so how can you determine smelt from superior or say lake X? How many dnr officers would even believe you?

BTW, a guy I know took 700 pounds of smelt out of Ashland two nights ago, guess they are still running there!

You can't use Lake Superior Smelt for bait anywhere in the state of MN.

Not to harp on the subject but selling smelt to a person that unknowingly plans to use them as bait then the seller should inform that person of the regs.

Good lord, this is on another discussion board. LOL You CANT use any smelt as bait, unless it is done by a licensed dealer, it is treated, and has a batch number on it. Page 12 in the 2011 DNR Regulations:

• Only preserved rainbow smelt and Cisco may be used as bait. Freezing

is not a preservation method. Preservation can only be done by permit

from the DNR. All labeling from the preserved smelt and Cisco must be

carried on the person when angling until all that preserved bait is gone.

Quote:
He was informed of the new law that went into effect last year, first thing I told him as a matter of fact. The truth is a ticket would do very little to his pocket book and that's a risk more than likely he's willing to take.

I find that behavior disgusting and ignorant.

Gathering and using smelt for bait was something my father did and so did I.

I know the reg being somewhat new that there will be folks from outside the area that are not up on the regs.

That was my reason to post those regs.

I can't offer anything else if one knows the regs but is willing to risk a citation for using smelt as bait other then there is more at risk then money out of a fat wallet.

Tacklejunkie, You can when the fish are running but you get a 1/10 ratio. Its up to you and the timing I guess..

I concur. Selfish and pathetic of the buyer. Even selling knowing what they are going to do with it is done in poor taste. But maybe not wanting to spread VHS is just me.