• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last night was definitely a bust. The waves at park point were huge. It rained pretty much all nite. We were at lester also, and there it was no good as well. There was a huge crowd out, but basically nobody caught anything. If I were to guess, I'd say either tonite or sunday nite wll be a better night (weather dependent).

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• dougger222

• Lhmoobvaj

• lispeej

They have started and every night will get better until they are done doing their bussiness and head back out. Now through next weekend will be good Im guessing. We will be out the next several nights. I will report back after.

Found it odd that over in WI early in the week mostly males and two nights ago mostly female. My guess is it will be done in WI next couple nights.

I would much rather clean the males. Some of the smelt we got were huge!

I'm heading to wis tonight. Do I need a trout stamp or any special license. I bought my wis license this year and last year, but I forgot if I need a trout stamp. Anyone know?

I'm heading to wis tonight. Do I need a trout stamp or any special license. I bought my wis license this year and last year, but I forgot if I need a trout stamp. Anyone know?

WI residences don't need a fishing license to smelt.

WI non-residences need a fishing license to smelt.

No trout stamp needed.

Sounds like they are running on the MN side now too. The WI run don't start until midnight or later.

got 3 gallons in one pull last nite and thats all we wanted grin by the airport on park point

Hopefully it should be a great night tonight!!! Hope to have something to report in the morning...

It's definitely on at Park Point boys. Only pulled from 8:45 - 10:00 at the Tot Lot. Four guys and a Christiansen = 5 gallons. A lot of big ones. Overall it was a beautiful night on the shore. Kids had a blast and so did the adults.

For those on the North Shore, I just got back from the Beaver River and knew it was a bad sign not to see one other vehicle parked. Could hear the falls roaring as soon as I got out of the car. Walked down anyway, and found the river moving 15-20 mph. Impossible. I walked out a little ways and dipped a few times just for the halibut, and sure as shite, no dice. Water seemed a little cold as well. So as of right now, looks like the rivers are a no-go.

DNR North Shore fishing report for 4/21 states the following: "We do not expect the smelt run to begin until water temperatures exceed 45 degrees overnight for several days in a row, which will most likely not occur for a week or so."

Now the fun starts.... Cleaning Smelt that is!! As stated things seem to be in full swing on Park Point. Our crew managed twenty to twenty five gallons in just over two hours 9:15-11:30. Iced down the buckets over night got a few hours sleep and will be getting the job done after a morning cup of coffee.

I heard the guys down by the pier wall made the news. I didn't see it myself but that's what the wife had to say. Not sure how the parking was for everyone but just a reminder that calendar parking changes on Sunday nights. You'll need to park on the lake side this week in order to be safe from a ticket. Not sure if any of that happened last night or not. Just thought I would through out a quick reminder.

Time to get to work!

thanks, for all the updates. looks like a busy morning of cleaning for great rewards later. good luck.

Looking to try it tonight. Which has been better so far, the Lester River or Park Point?

Todays weather should definitely help with a better run....I assume.

Although seems like a lot of you guys had a great night.

Thanks for the report.

You will typicaly pull more smelt out of the park point to airport area because you can run a 25ft sein.

In the lester you have to run a dip net but can sein 100ft from the mouth of lester. With all the rocks out there you won't have much luck with a sein.

Last year the reports out of the Lester and Knife were poor but it looks like this year the smelt are running into those rivers.

Would post a link to the MONSTER WI smelt pulls this past week but there's a little foul mouthed action in them!!!

BD110, Which area of parking are you talking about? I know the signs say no parking after 10pm on Park Point. Are you talking about the lift bridge and the other parking lot after the bridge? I thought it was fine to park in Park Point because the CO knew it was the smelt run. Is it only different for Sundays?

Quick update in Ashland: Consistent pulls of 50-100 smelt from 9pm to 1am. It was a blast!

Park Point should be picking up. I have been hearing spurts of smelts here and there but not the big one that everyone has been expecting. Tonight is as good as any though.

We're going to give Lester a try this evening. Thursday night was pretty good, Friday night wasn't and last night Easter Vigil went longer than expected. In Alaska, on the Copper River Delta, it was hooligan. "It's hooligan boys!" rang the cry as we paddled our kayaks across the slough to check on geese nests. Our paddles deflected off the schools of fish below us. Everything joins into the excitement of a run: the gulls, the, bears, foxes, wolves and it is only the same here. I'll be out there with my brother and sister smelters.

If your parking on any part of the main street of Park Point you need to follow what BD110 said. It changes on Sunday night. Like he said this week park on the lake side. Of course if your in a lot thats different. I have never had a problem parking after 10pm during smelting season.

I just cleaned about 2.5 gallons of smelt and the other 2.5 gallons will be frozen whole.

A fresh smelt fry will taste SO good!

Oh and if you have a seign I would be hitting the airport area the next couple nights and maybe the tot lot. The guys at the bridge werent doing much last night. Even Loadmaster sat around with his hands in his pocket most of the night. wink

Hmmm... I was at the ToT lot yesterday and the Smelt run was not good at all. I stayed from 9 until 1 a.m. From what I saw, other people were not doing very well either.

If you will be parked on south Lake Avenue or Minnesota Avenue you need to follow calendar parking if you want to be safe from a parking ticket. I'm not saying you'll get a ticket if you park on the incorrect side. I just don't want to support the city or state with a parking ticket if I can help it.

Read the signs on the roadway as I think it changes during the summer to support a bike trail on one side.

Sorry to hear they were not getting much action at the bridge at least they got a little air time on channel six. If you're not getting action at the tot lot I would head down to the end of the point by the airport. It's a long carry but it could be worth the effort.

We have one five gallon pail cleaned and starting on the second. It's almost to much fun but o so tasty!!

We always park in the parking spots in Park Point by the airport. I'm guessing that is fine. We have never parked on the streets along that stretch. I have never smelted on a sunday night because I'm from the cities, its a long drive. I'm trying to get some people to come back up tonight, but I have a feeling it won't happen. I will have to wait until next weekend and hope it will be even better.

Last night we were out on Park Point and we did pretty good. Between 6 people we got about 18 gallons. We started at 9pm until 2am. It has started. I love my christensen net, and looking to add one with the pocket. It will be a good investment.

We heard wis point was packed, but it was not so good. A friend of one of the guys in our group came over to Park Point and he only got 20 smelt.

Thanks for all the updates guys.

Cooked my fresh smelts this morning, OMG they were delicious. yum yum.

I'll update when I get a chance to come back up.

Klee your ok. I have never gotten a ticket parked in them lots after 10pm during the smelting season. The Duluth Police realize whats up with smelting.

Heading up from the cities to try out the Lester as we speak, lets hope its a good run!

If you will be parked on south Lake Avenue or Minnesota Avenue you need to follow calendar parking if you want to be safe from a parking ticket. I'm not saying you'll get a ticket if you park on the incorrect side. I just don't want to support the city or state with a parking ticket if I can help it.

Read the signs on the roadway as I think it changes during the summer to support a bike trail on one side.

Sorry to hear they were not getting much action at the bridge at least they got a little air time on channel six. If you're not getting action at the tot lot I would head down to the end of the point by the airport. It's a long carry but it could be worth the effort.

We have one five gallon pail cleaned and starting on the second. It's almost to much fun but o so tasty!!

I have never tried Smelting at the airport before but I have drove past it before. So when we park at the parking lot outside of the airport gates, do we just Smelt right on the beach by the parking lot or do we walk all the way towards the end of the beach where it looks like their are some big rocks going into the lake?

Park at the lot on the bay side and look across the road for the pathways to the lake. Walk up them pathways to the lake and have at it. Its a longer walk with a couple full 5 gallon pails of smelt but thats where the action has been lately.