• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

they are controled by chemicals. a lamprecide i think its called. the chemicals are released in a controlled manner in streams that lampreys use the most for spawning. they figure they have controlled most of the lampreys except for 5 to 10 percent that are left. good luck.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• dougger222

• Lhmoobvaj

• lispeej

You would think the dnr would see the dollars signs from revenues earned from smelters and be a little more pro smelt.

Think of how many people buy fishing licenses's, nets, waders, and A LOT of fuel to go pursue smelt? Lot's of MN state tax...

Three nights ago the reports for Ashland were no smelt acording to the smelt hotline. The next night a few were found in nets and seins. Last night not sure.

Just so you know the law for smelting in WI is this,

Residents don't need a fishing license to smelt.

Non-residents need a fishing licesne to smelt ($50). If you can get into them it's $50 well spent. Some areas of Ashland there's good runs while other areas poor runs. The next year it can change...

i just dont know what the dnr can do to promote smelting. it's seems to me if anyone can make some money on smelt it would be the communities where they are netted. and the stores that sell the equipment. i haven't smelted in a number of years. i catch all i need through the ice. it is a fun activity, there is no doubt about it. years ago, smelting was an anual tradition for our family, now my brother goes, but doesn't keep much. just fun to help others and be part of the fun. one reason we dont have the smelt as we did in the past as been stated before is that game fish have rebounded in the great lake. take atvantage of some salmon and lake trout action if you get a chance also. i think we have a good balance now of smelt and the game fish that swimm the lake. i have never smelted in ashland. seems like a lot of money to put out if you include licence and gas and possible logging. just wait till you get the word here on this thread and drive up to duluth and have at it. tasty stuff. good luck.

I agree. Smelting is one of those traditions that I did with my father and now that he is no longer here, I try to carry on this tradition. Not to mention, it is the only time some of my relatives will come together and enjoy the run. If nothing at all, it is fun and those little guys are TASTY!!!

Did anybody get a chance to try out at Park Point last night. I hope there are good news. I will be heading from the Cities on Thursday

It was never part of our family but I went smelting with some WI friends after fishing the Brule for Steelhead each night last year. Love weekends that are fishing all day, then fishing all night! Hardcore!

Learned the trade and met lots of really cool people, all having fun on the shore at night, lots of fires and good times all up and down the shore. Lots of kids, lots of assistance and advice offered up to folks who wanted it or needed it.

In my humble opinion, smelt is a good thing.

I agree. Smelting is one of those traditions that I did with my father and now that he is no longer here, I try to carry on this tradition. Not to mention, it is the only time some of my relatives will come together and enjoy the run. If nothing at all, it is fun and those little guys are TASTY!!!

Did anybody get a chance to try out at Park Point last night. I hope there are good news. I will be heading from the Cities on Thursday

Nobody out the past few nights that I know of or seen. water is still cold and Ashland isnt into them real good yet so Im guessing another week at least.

You know people are always hiding there fishing sectrets, and i find it annoying, but i do it myself too. But smelting is one thing that is very different. Everytime i head out there everyone is so lively and is willing to share there spots or there secrets. and the conversations never stop there. its always fun. thats why i love it so much.

I have 3 christensen sains with the big basket if you need one I could part with two of them. I am not getting bait any more so no need to have three? But one for fun and to get a good meal just send me a pm. they did there job heck next to free just let me now. But there are a lot of FM's with good nets and willing to share. Every year BD110 is always willing to help people out I would take him up on it he is always there to help out and tell you the right way to pull. Take Him up on his offer you will be happy you did.

Hey Tom - You PM box is full. Are you stilling willing to part with one of your nets? We've been talking of going for years now and it looks like its finally going to happen this year, just need a net. My dad used to take us near Ashland when we were kids and now its time for me to take the kids.

Here's a report from the Ashland Chamber of Commerce:

The smelt have begun to run! Fisherman were out again last night and said the smelt were running great! We only received a dusting of snow and temps remain in the mid 30's.

Another report:

we just got home from ashland we got over 50gallons last night all our pulls were between 1 and 2 gallons the guys next to us were pulling in like 10 + gallons a pull so duluth should start soon if anyone is going out good luck

There is no doubt Ashland is in full force!! I'll report back after Thursday night

Well thats good news. Who knows how it will all pan out here but Im still guessing next week or next weekend we will start seeing them in ok numbers.

Fish_for_fun, I agree with you. When it comes to smelting I am more than willing to share pertinent information between fellow friends in these type of forum. If that wasn't the case than I would not even be in these forums. Not to mention the fact that I have to rely on the local Duluth sources in order to make my trip from Minneapolis worthwhile. So, in return for these tips, I offer the same of what I know back to my fellow smelting friends. Smelting is one of those deals that it is a hit or miss deal. You time it wrong and you will be out of luck for the rest of the year, unlike fishing for, let's say, northerns or bass, etc...

i agree with you, not till next week as you say. i am sure that you and some others will give the people who have to drive a long distance information that will be as accurate as possible. gas aint cheap. good luck.

can someone direct me to a public beach in ashland. i looked at google maps and there are miles and miles of beach. dont know where to go.

full-33703-8008-screenshot2011_04_20at2.

I believe this beach is where we went last year... the rocks were cleaned up into 25' lanes for seines. There were people dropping nets off the peir as well. Parking and getting a spot on the beach was a waiting game if you weren't there early. Good luck! Let us know how you do! Also, bring some firewood.

BTW, I used BING, better close up imagery.

You would think the dnr would see the dollars signs from revenues earned from smelters and be a little more pro smelt.

Think of how many people buy fishing licenses's, nets, waders, and A LOT of fuel to go pursue smelt? Lot's of MN state tax...

Not that many.... what, a couple hundred people, tops? For one week out of the year....

Might as well promote the rusty crayfish while we're at it. Sure are tasty little buggers, and I bet people would spend all sorts of money on tackle to pursue them....... crazy Who really cares about native ecosystems anyway......

Well, basically I think you just brought up my same reasoning why both decline or increase at the same rate.

1) They may occupy different niches.

But

2) They both have the same predators.

And

3) They both compete for the same forage.

So

4) If something eats the same thing & gets eaten by the same things. It stands to reason that they may increase or decrease at the same rate.

Basic Biology! wink

I'll give you a little here and accept that there may be a little truth to what you claim, however, in the big picture we're talking about an invasive fish/native fish competition. It's well documented that invasives always win!

Ciscos and smelt don't all get eaten by the same things. The ciscowet lake trout key in on ciscos hands down over smelt, and I'm not positive about this, but I don't think smelt occupy that deep water niche the ciscos do. But that's not really not that important here.

A big thing to consider here is how much more aggressive an invasive species is in a new ecosystem. The smelt will out compete the ciscos with the little zooplankton that are found in L.S. This will keep the cisco population below the smelt population.

Another thing to consider is a critter even lower in the food chain; the Spiny Water Flea. This out competes native zooplankton which limits the available food even more.

Then throw in every other invasive species in the lake and you got one big mess.

Smelt are NOT a good thing, PERIOD! There is absolutely nothing that shows how ciscos and smelt can live together in peace and harmony. They can find the somewhat of a balance that they have, but you can't have one with the other and have them both proliferate.

Glad to see there is some chatter online about the smelt run, new to these forums, great info and enthusiasm from this group from what I have seen. I haven't gone in a few years but plan to head up for this years run! Crossing my fingers for early next week as I have a few days off.

Used to dip net the Lester with some buds when I lived in Duluth while going to school, and was introduced to the run a few years before that by my uncle.

Keep the good updates coming, us out of towner's count on it! Thanks!

Everyone will have their own opinions of why or why not smelt is good. I like them so until they disappear I will continue to seine the smelt run once a year. Anyhow, like it or not smelts have become part of the Great Lake's ecosystem.

Anymore updates on the smelt run so far? Please share. Thank you!

Here is an interesting link to a local article about the "Old Days" of smelting.

Glory days of smelting

I remember the only time I got to smelt as a kid in the early 70s. People everywhere and lots of bonfires. I think we were at the Lester but really can't be sure. When the smelt finally started coming in they were so thick that we would have to dump out half the net just so we could lift it. What we had left would fill a cooler easy. Me and my buddy were filling up everyone on shore while my buddy's dad just watched and socialized by the bonfire. Very fun time for two young teenagers.

welcome to HSO!!! you can bet that there are people on the status of the run that will give you accurate information. good luck.

thanks north, brought back some memories. never did bite off the head of a smelt. but the beer part i took part in. good luck.

dont know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine claims he was out on the lester river last night and got a decent amount. he said they started running late and thought it wasn't that much it was still worth it because by morning they had about 10 gallons. thats two white 5 gallon buckets.

I will keep everyone Updated as soon as I can. At this point I think it is a little early for the smell run like everyone has been saying but I have already planned to make the drive up to duluth tonight so I'll keep everyone posted.

so, who here has to travel the furthest to get to the smelts. I'm just wondering, cause I live in Minneapolis, and thats a three hour drive. does anybody drive further than that?

I have it on good authority that the commercial fisherman's giant net near the south pier of the lift bridge, on the bay side, came up completely full of smelt after sitting overnight on Tuesday night.

looks like its gonna rain friday, I think this rain will trigger the run. everytime it rains in duluth the smelt always run, for me at least around this time of the year. I believe we will see our first smelt this weekend.