• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stopped by park point around 930 last night. One group and they weren't having any luck. Lake was calm as could be too

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• dougger222

• Lhmoobvaj

• reinhard1

If anything, this week will tell us definitely if the smelt run is over or not. I hope tomorrow or this weekend the little guys make one last huge run before they decide to call it quits...we'll see.

Got 16 in three hours at the Beaver last night (lol), but had a good time standing around the fire bullshitting with friends. All males, so I'm guessing the run hasn't gone down yet up this way. Gonna try again tonight.

One dude netted a really nice looper and gave him back to the river.

From everything Im hearing and seeing is the last time anyone got any real amount of smelt was last Sunday. The past 3 nights have been dead.

Looking back through the thread for Park Point, it seems like the most action was only on 4/21-4/24. Were there any other nights that were noteworthy and didn't make it into the reports? I didn't see these reports until late 4/23, and wasn't able to get out until 4/28-29 - the only action I heard about then was an occaisional 1-2 smelt per pull. In hindsight, it sure looks like the run was over before I got up there.

Is there anyone with better records that can summarize how many or which nights the smelt were running on Park Point in significant numbers this season?

Thanks,

Paul

You are correct. The other days we couldnt get out so we may have gotten more but the wind/rain was too bad to try it.

Two fires, about 25 people, and two dogs at the Beaver last night. Got about 50 in two hours or so. Best scoop was six, most all of them males. Somehow a leak developed in the crotch of my Pro Line neoprenes, so I went home with a few dozen smelt, boots full of water, and soggy crotch. frown

and i bet they were down sized. laugh. thanks for the report. maby the rain will bring in some more. it's usualy the males that run up first. good luck.

You will also see only males at the end of the run.

You will also see only males at the end of the run.

I guess the males are first and last to run? The reason why I say that is about 3 weeks ago on one of 19 or so lakes in MN with smelt we got 8 gallons and 9 out of 10 were males, all large. We were the first ones out smelting that got any. A week later a friend went and got 10 gallons and they were smaller, about 50/50 males/females.

Over in Ashland we found moslty males on the first outing and more females than males on the last outing. The spread was about a week apart.

OK, dumb question here, but is it size alone that you guys are using to distinguish male and female smelt? I know females tend to run bigger, but aren't there some smaller females that also make the spawning runs? Is EVERY breeder smelt a big girl?

Size and wether eggs or milt comes out of them when squeezed is how we get the difference. There are a bunch of different sized males and females in the mix when the run is on.

Size and wether eggs or milt comes out of them when squeezed is how we get the difference. There are a bunch of different sized males and females in the mix when the run is on.

Yeah, I think I already understood the eggs and milt part. crazygrin

When you're dip netting and you reach in to grab them and put them in your bucket, you can tell immediately. The males have a rough feeling to them and the females are slippery. If I'm being choosey (and enough smelt are running) I'll toss the females back so I don't have to deal with all the millions of sticky eggs--it's easy to tell.

Like Spivak said the males have a rough surface to them and all females have a smooth surface to them .... size has never determined the sex of a smelt as far as I know... so again size does not matter wink

Jar Jar

so it looks like the run is coming to a close to an end. time to move on to some other fishing.......

thanks to all that has chimed in.

so it looks like the run is coming to a close to an end. time to move on to some other fishing.......

thanks to all that has chimed in.

Speak for yourself there Mighty Lipsee. I'm hittin' the Beaver tonight! smile

Bowlingballhead, keep us posted. I wouldn't mind going one more time if there's something to catch. Good luck!

bowlingballhead....I was speaking in general. not at anyone in particular.

but you keep us posted. goodluck.

I found size didn't matter at all with regards to male/female smelt. Research indicates smelt max out at 12-13 inches. We got some smelt out of Superior that pushed these lengths and both were male and female. Research also shows a smelt can live up to 8 years. Cleaned a few tiny smelt with eggs.

When they were running we had to have two people with five gallon buckets empty out the sein. It took a long time so we never had time to see how many were males and how many were females. As far as eggs they were everywere!!! When we started cleaning them we found the male to female ratio.

The first week when they were running ate smelt 5 times!!!