• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wheres your dock del, hate to see you be lonely grin Personaly the week I'm there every year I don't see all this pressure, fact many nights have had Wakeumup all to myself...

Wakemup village, on Head-O-Lakes facing pamahan/orsmonds island. Next bay to the east of pehrson's resort.

47°55'25.17"N

92°38'51.53"W

Is about my dock.

Last year wasn't quite so intense. Year before there was basically a constant parade of boats, pretty close to 24/7. The froth was washing up on the beach from all those cowgirls being hurled.

Yeah Del,

I'm sure I have casted around your dock a few times. Lots of nice cabbage in that bay. I always fish there when ever I'm on the west end. I have caught a number of nice fish in that area over the years. I'm usually there in the morning, I don't do the night fishing thing like so many others.

"Ace"

Hey Del,

"Last year wasn't quite so intense?"

You know better than anyone about the pressure in there but its hard to believe given the way people on V are not shy about telling people where they are catching/seeing big ones---enough said.

The year before must have really been insane.

Hey Del,

"Last year wasn't quite so intense?"

You know better than anyone about the pressure in there but its hard to believe given the way people on V are not shy about telling people where they are catching/seeing big ones---enough said.

The year before must have really been insane.

Ya sure you betcha it was. When I come back at late evening I have to be really careful since there are some folks who must think lights on their boats scare muskies.

I feel sort of bad driving by them to get to my cabin, but I guess that is the breaks. If you are set on throwing cowgirls or those big rubber things into two feet of water on my beach, then you will have to put up with me driving next to your boat in order to get home.

I've seen the light thing pop up in a couple of threads now... in defense of the night fishermen.. try and drive your car safely 60 MPH down the highway with all the dome lights on! It is very difficult to fish when you can't allow your eyes to adjust to the dark. A stationary fisherman with no lights can generally hear and see the other boats from miles away.

I've seen the light thing pop up in a couple of threads now... in defense of the night fishermen.. try and drive your car safely 60 MPH down the highway with all the dome lights on! It is very difficult to fish when you can't allow your eyes to adjust to the dark. A stationary fisherman with no lights can generally hear and see the other boats from miles away.

And what does this doof with no lights do when I come around the point heading for home expecting open water? I am not WFO but maybe 30 mph. He is sitting there with his bull dawg in his hand and no lights.

It could spoil both of our evenings.

Turn on the expletive light.

Guess I don't see the need to have the lights off myself. I will admit I do cover mine with an old sock when up there but maily to keep the bugs at bay. Light can still be easily seen. Now at home I'm bad about turning my lights on but with a houses stacked around the lake like cord wood it's a lighter darkeness than on V and I only forget on those foul days when I know I'm one of the few out there. Don't make me right but we have night time speed limits and somedays maybe the only guy out there.

sock over the light is the best for everyone... didn't say it was right just said its easier to fish.. I do some night fishing but not generally on Vermilion.. and NOT for those dunderheaded muskies. laugh

If you don't like the bugs, or your eye can't adjust, maybe you shouldn't be night fishing. Turn on the lights, it's the law.

"Ace"

I have to agree with Ace. Turn your lights on or don't be out after sunset.

I have to agree with Ace. Turn your lights on or don't be out after sunset.

Yeah, don't spoil my vacation by making me have to deal with running over you.

I'll turn the spotlight on when in front of your place at 1am Del grin

Better than one of those flashlights on a stick we used to use back in the day.

And it is hard to prove that some fool didn't have his lights on. I have had a couple of close calls. Not real close but too close for me.

ACE

with a later ice out (say May 10th) will fishing be good on the opener.

Later the ice out, better the fishing is what i go by! Last year with the early ice out the fish ran small and fishing was not as good as years past! grin

I think a lot of other Vermilion regulars will bear this out. According to my log book,(25 years of information on opening day). The later the ice out, the better the fishing. Most of the Walleyes should be in those typicall shallow early season locations that everybody targets on opening day. It will mean a lot more traffic in Pike bay, but at least the fish should be there this year, unlike last season.

The way the darn weather is going the water temps shouldn't be to warm by the opener. We have about 4 inches of new snow here at my place this moring. That should cool things off for a few days. Look for water temps in the upper 40's to low 50's by the opener. I would be very surprised if they got much higher than that. Water levels are getting higher, however not really higher than what we typically see in the spring. It's just a few inches higher in Pike bay than it was last fall right now. I'm sure it will go up some this week because of the rain and melting snow. Forecast says 66 degrees on Friday, and then highs in the low 40.s on Sunday... I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

"Ace"

Anything in your log book on how the Bass cooperate with the late ice out? smile I remember 2009 I think we got snowed on but still caught a few.

Good Fishing

Hey Pherris,

The late ice will have some impact on the Smallmouth, primarily it will impact where they position themselves. They should still be very cooperative, you'll just have to adjust your presenations to catch them in different locations. In a lake this size you will typically find fish in a number of different patterns at the same time. Water temp and location will have some impact on where you find them in different bays or parts of the lake. If I say anything else, I'm afraid I'll have to kill you! smile

"Ace"

Thanks Ace. Been coming up for the last 6 years or so. We stay on the West side (Muskego Bay Resort) and spend most of our time chasing the green ones. Had some amazing success some years and others just ok but always have a great time on the V. I was looking at the photos on your site and I bet I could give you the GPS coordinates to one or 2 of the locations of them largie pics. One of those spots is where I make my first cast every year. The one with the birch trees in the background. grin

I have not had a lot of success with smallies on either side east or west. We do catch and incidental fish here and there and I can find the 13"-16"'s consistently but have yet to pattern those 4-5 lbs. Oh and BTW if you kill me I wont be able to hire you for my July V vacation to get me a walldog or two for a fish dinner. Thanks again for all the info you provide!!! +1

PS 34 degrees and 15-20 mph winds here in the cities and I am heading out to find some crappies. Wife says I am crazy. I told here I am just practicing fishing in this weather for the opener. smile

We REALLY got into the smallies over by moccasin point last yr when we were fishin for eyes.. Nice ones too! Prolly not 5 lbers but they were easily 3 lbers.. Couldnt keep em off our lines we had to move to a diff spot

Well Pharris, unless you drove about 20 miles from Muskego point you haven't fished that spot. Those are east end Largemouth and like I said, I'd have to kill ya! smile

"Ace"

Well Pharris, unless you drove about 20 miles from Muskego point you haven't fished that spot. Those are east end Largemouth and like I said, I'd have to kill ya! smile

"Ace"

Ya lot of that stuff looks alike and I was just having some fun with you. But I do have a spot that is very similar in looks and the key area is between two little birch like in the photo. I see so many pics on the site with the background photo shopped out, Couldn’t resist. grin I do fish the whole lake even when I stay at Muskego and there are some dandy LM spots on the east side too but I think the west yields better #'s. I have stayed at several resorts on the lake Glenmore,Everets,Pike Bay Lodge and one on Big bay that had a restaurant that has changed hands recently, Don’t recall the name though. Last year we tried the vacation rental by owners and stayed at a place on Big bay. Very nice but was not able to fish much as it was that very windy week last summer and my wife only goes out on glass calm days . If I recall a couple guys on Rainy or one of the other big lakes up that way never made it back to shore that week frown Gotta respect the big water.

You have any availability July 11th or 12th? If so let me know because I was serious about hiring you for a day. We will be staying on Frasier Bay. Let me know. Thanks and Good Fishing!!

BTW did find enough Crappie on the outing today for dinner but it was darn cold.

Hey Pherris,

Can do, just give me a call to set it up.

You are also right about the west side LM numbers. That is where I usually go when I have a client for Largemouth.

Looks like most of the lake is open now. Can't wait to go fishing.

"Ace"

Hey Ace, before these last fews days prior to the opener slips by and everyone gets too busy to post regularly, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the spot on information you have so generously shared these past 3 months. I for one thoroughly enjoyed the thread and looked forward to all of the helpful information. In my opinion, if the people who asked the questions apply the answers, they will be better fishermen. I know I will. Good luck in the coming season!

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Mark is right- this was an informative and entertaining thread. Thanks for starting it and for the advice. I'm looking forward to using it.

+2......10 days and counting until the assault begins. Can't wait to learn that lake!

Hey Ace, before these last fews days prior to the opener slips by and everyone gets too busy to post regularly, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the spot on information you have so generously shared these past 3 months. I for one thoroughly enjoyed the thread and looked forward to all of the helpful information. In my opinion, if the people who asked the questions apply the answers, they will be better fishermen. I know I will. Good luck in the coming season!

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Well said. I can say that this is one of the best threads I have seen on the site in a long time. Thank you Ace, and thank you to everyone else who participated too.

But enough with the sentimentalism...

How is the opener shaping up to be?

Hey Mark,

Thank you, I really do appreciate all the kind words. There is nothing I enjoy more that fishing. Talking about it is almost as much fun and it keeps me sain in the off season. smile

I think it's going to be a great opener. We had a pretty average ice-out, water temps will proably be in the low to mid 50's?? and I think they should be easy to find on opening weekend. My knees are shaking!

"Ace"

• 2 weeks later...

How and where would you fish for walleye on the west end of the lake during the first week in July? We'll be staying at White Eagle.