• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Great info, realy shows how well you know the lake... maybe we'll run into each other on the water sometime...

Ace,

For muskies on the summer, do you throw smaller baits normally or still mix in some bigger baits in the early season?

Tp

I do downsize a little in the early season, however I think the action of the bait is more important than the size. I like to use baits that have a wider slower wobble in the early part of the season. That slower wider action has worked well for me even with large baits. Most spring time Muskies still like to eat a big meal, they just aren't as willing to chase something moving to fast. So for me the speed and action of the bait is far more important than it's size.

"Ace"

Ace,

Staying on the muskie theme... When it comes to nightfishing muskies and using double bladed bucktails. Have you noticed a correlation between colored/non-colored blades (Nickel, Gold) and the moon phases? For example, I have talked to guys that swear non-colored blades work better during the full moon. I have also heard the exact opposite.

What sort of connection have you noticed between these two variables when it comes to Vermilion? If you haven't, have you talked to other fisherman that have?

Thanks!

Hey Zebra,

I don't fish at night so I'm hardly the expert for night fishing advice. I do however fish until it gets dark on occasion. I rarely use any colored/painted blades except for Chartreuce. Sound and vibration are far more important at night than color. Most of the guys I know that fish at night use loud, large, dark profiles to catch their fish. That is why the big blades work so well at night.

"Ace"

Hey Ace, Great subject and like all the others have said thanks for the use of your many years on the water.

I posted on the Bass forum asking where to go besides Rainy Lake. And it seams so far the V is the best bet for scenery as well as the fishing. My questions is what area should I be looking into for rentals over the memorial day weekend for mainly bass (both green and brown)fishing, But I know we'll want to slow down on occasion and fish walleyes for the pan. East or West? I feel pretty confident I can get into them wherever we end up, but I don't want to have to fill the boat every day to do it. I've never been on the lake and it looks pretty big to wander to much in the 4-5 days we'll be there.

Do you guide 1/2 days? I realize thats got to be one of your busiest weeks on the season so I understand if you don't.

If you want to fish both species of bass and Walleyes I would look for a place in the middle of the lake like, Timbuktu, or Retreat lodge. there is good bass fishing close by and you won't have to go very far for Walleyes. If the green bass aren't that important I would go more to the east as the west end has the better largemouth fishing. You'll fine more great Smallmouth fishing east in my opinion.

And yes I do take half days.

"Ace"

Hey Ace,

Thanks to the advice of the folks on this site, I'm taking a week on the far west end with the wife the last week of May. Hoping to chase walleyes, pike and bass. Naturally i have a couple questions

What tackle should I make sure to have on hand to target the different species?

Should i be focused on depths less than say 20ft?

What type of temperatures should i prepare us for?

Really appreciate all the advice you've given so far, it gives an amateur like me some hope of getting some fish!

Hey Kid ,excuse me for jumping in but if its youre first trip, get a guide for at least half a day, it will help tremendously the lake is big and diverse a guide can help you get on track quickly.

Ace when you say the eyes will probably be shallow on opener that's kind if a relative term. I'm curious what your definition of shallow is and how much the wind will factor in to areas you fishh and how deep you will fish. Some lakes seem to be mote wind driven than others, just curious where V falls in.

I hope to get a guide for a half day, but I'm a little uncertain about the nuisances and the cost of fishing with a guide. Tossing an extra few hundred on top of the cost of the trip makes me a bit uneasy.

Also, I don't know if it's wrong to fish a big flat, bay, or area after the guide shows you. The guides make their living putting people on fish and if they share their spots with their clients then they end up crowded. I don't want to step on someone's spot the same as i don't want people crowding me. I enjoy chasing and figuring out the fish, but I like a little direction.

I guess I'm not sure about what kind of a nuisance you'll find fishing with a guide. Guides don't have a problem showing you their spots, believe me I have more than one. Vermilion can be a tough nut to crack when you only have a few days to fish. So consider the guide fee as an investment. Make it clear when you talk to the guide before you book him what kind of expectations you have. If they are realistic your guide will do his best to help you realize those expectations.

Keep in mind that a half day only allows for so much. You aren't going to learn the entire lake in 4 hours. Vermilion is large enough that you seldome have to fish next to anyone if you don't want to. Also keep in mind that if you have an attitude about it, perhaps hiring a guide isn't for you. Any good guide is there to answer questions and to try and make your day on the water a good experience. If you have unreal expectations, it only makes it a more difficult task.

"Ace"

And in May on the west end there are some obvious community spots, like the south shore of wakemup, or black bay, that one can fish without feeling bad about it.

But a guide is a great idea. They can show a few spots that might not occur to you as a newcomer. Also they will be onto what is working at the moment.

OOPS! I meant to nuances. Not nuisance! I have no issue with guides at all. I just don't know anything about what's ok to do and what's not. How much your supposed to tip? Can you ask a million questions like I'm prone to do? Are you supposed to bring your own gear or not, snacks and whatever.

I"m pretty embarrassed about that one.

No problem ,dont worry about it Kid, were all just fisherman here and out on the lake,i used to be uneasy about payin for a guide to but believe me you wont regret it ,it will be a trip maker and thats what you want a great time! youre already on the right track youre booked on Vermillion!

I'll be up a lot this open water season. I know for sure ill be up for 6 days the middle if june. Can a person take a big chub and hit the reefs and Target big eyes or do they generally come by "accident"?

Hey Kid,

Any good guide will be happy to answer all of your questions. That is what you pay for when you go fishing with me. Educating anglers is a big part of guiding in this day and age. People want more than just a ride to where the fish are biting.

I include all the necessary tackle and equipment, however you are welcome to bring your own rods if you'd like. Tackle boxes are unnecessary, as I have more than we will ever need in our lifetime. smile

Most guides ask that you bring rain gear, your camera, your own food and drink and to always dress for the weather. This is also something to discuss with your guide when you book the trip. As for a tip, that is totally up to you. there isn't a set rate for tips. If you don't want to or can't afford to tip that is Ok too. I never expect or require a tip, it is totally up to the client. If you feel the guide did a great job above and beyond your expectations and you want to show him your appreciation, by all means feel free to tip your guide. You are however, never obligated to do so.

"Ace"

Kid,

All logical questions to be asking if you plan to hire a guide for the first time!

Any good guide will be happy to answer any questions that you care to ask.

As Ace said, tips are entirely up to you!

Most guides have all of the rods and tackle you will need, but you are always welcome to bring your own as long as you do not bring enough gear to furnish 10 people! smile

Ask any pertinent questions that you may have before the day arrives!!

Good Fishing!

Cliff

I'll be up a lot this open water season. I know for sure ill be up for 6 days the middle if june. Can a person take a big chub and hit the reefs and Target big eyes or do they generally come by "accident"?

James I sent you a pm. (They are free now?)

Hey James,

Typically early June is more of a points and islands ajacent to spawning areas type of big fish bite, however nothing is edged in stone. The evening slip bobber action in the early part of the summer has yielded many of my largest walleyes on Vermilion. A great deal will depend on what kind of weather we get as spring moves in to early summer. If you do work the reefs, concentrate on the deep transitions during the daytime hours and work you way from deep to shallow in the early morning and evening hours on those same structures. That has always worked well for me over the years.

"Ace"

Thanks for the info ace. What are the biggest V walleyes that you have seen in your boat? I have a goal this year to catch a 28 incher on 4 different lakes this year. You think V can be on that list?

Oh yeah,

We saw 3 29's and 2 28's in my boat last season. Vermilion has some trully giant Walleyes swimming around in all that water. A few years ago a kid fishing off his families docck caught a 13lb Walleye up on the west end. I have seen fish close to that size at the Walleye hatchery traps in the Pike river.

"Ace"

Can a person watch or see what is going on with the traps when that time comes? If so, could you update us on when that time comes? I would love to see that.

Hey James,

No problem, Cliff only lives about 300 ft from the hatchery, so I'm sure he will have some updates. I have a clear view of the river where they set the traps, so we get a pretty good view of everything has it happens.

"Ace"

Ace,

What is your opinion on "open water" trolling for walleyes on Vermilion? Is this something worth experimenting with?? By open water walleyes I mean the fish that are suspended over the large deep water basins. I guess on Vermilion I would consider any large area that is deeper than 30 FOW to fall into this category...

If this is something that you have done, have you noticed a specific time of year that seems to be better? Also, does this type of fishing generally produce larger or smaller fish on average when comparing to "structure" fish?

I don't think you have touched on this topic yet but if you have let me know.

Thanks!

Hey zebra,

Yes I do troll the open basin during the summer season. Primarily I wait until after the thermalcline has set up. There are some regulars that do almost nothing but open water trolling and they do it all summer long. Typically I just look for pods of baitfish off of the structures, however I also troll large mud flats that are in the 20 to 30ft range. There are lots of them in Big bay and some of the other larger bays. Late summer is when I do best but I'm sure that bite is always available if you do your homework. Size wise you will almost always catch a better average size fish trolling than livebait rigging. Despite that fact, most locals seldome ever use that presentation. You will see them trolling the breaks, but you will rarely see to many boats trolling the basin.

"Ace"

• 3 weeks later...

Terry, on the basin trolling vs rigging/jigging, do the numbers of fish caught trolling match the more common presentations?

Hey Krash,

Yeah I think the bite is always better when it's cold. Water temps in the upper 30's lower 40's aren't really that unusal for opening day. We had a late ice-out in 09' and the fishing was excellent for our group. We caught 18 fish over 20 inches before noon that year. Pike bay was closed that year as well and we did very well in other locations.

Steve,

There are times when the trolling bite is way better than any livebait alturnative.

Lets face it, many times all you catch on livebait rigs are those 11 inch fish. That rarely happens when you pull crankbaits. Like any presentation there are times when you have to work a little harder to find active fish, but you can cover a lot of water trolling.

"Ace"

Ace are you running leadcore? These fish on the mudbasin.....are they suspended at all? I started using boards quite a bit last year, what do you think of that option.