• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yes, there are still walleyes spawning in many of the smaller rivers running into Vermilion. They are probably also still staging to spawn on the reefs once the main lake opens up.

Cliff

Thanks for all the ideas guys , very much appreciated! Gonna keep trying. Wow nice fish Casey ! That's what I'm lookin for!!

This has been a great thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Some friends and I are coming up a week from Saturday (5/25); we can't wait! I've never been up to the lake so close to ice-out, and I have a few questions.

1. We will definitely be trying for walleyes off the docks in the late evening/night. Generally we use leeches and slip bobbers, but that's usually in middle June or July/August. Do people still use leeches in the COLD water, or are minnows the best bet early in the year for bobber fishing? We'll try both if we can, but I'd like to have an idea before I get up.

2. What does the early season smallie bite look like? I hope to see water temps in the 50's and smallies swarming the shallows, but I'm not too optimistic with our schizophrenic spring weather. What are some general pre-spawn staging tactics?

3. Pike are under-appreciated in my opinion, but I love to catch them. In years when weed growth has been stunted by cold weather, we've struggled to find early season pike. Should I focus on boulder flats and points close to spawning areas rather than sparse weed growth and dead reeds? Might they still be in the black bottom bays?

Thanks for any feedback, and again, thanks to those who have contributed the great information!

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I have learned a lot reading the information on here and I am looking forward to my first trip on the big v in june with a houseboat and my family. It is going to be a blast

Bump.

How has the dock bite been? Are people using leeches or minnows under the bobbers? Any bass in the shallows? Thanks!

Pherris I tried to respond to your recent message but the pm had reached a limit. If you see this give me a shout. Thanks!

Bump.

How has the dock bite been? Are people using leeches or minnows under the bobbers? Any bass in the shallows? Thanks!

Pherris I tried to respond to your recent message but the pm had reached a limit. If you see this give me a shout. Thanks!

I work my dock pretty hard this time of year, of course i haven't yet due to lack of a dock drop. Will be there this weekend so i'll let you know how the dock fishing is then. Here's a couple notes i've found:

1. Work your bobber towards the deepest point you can, from the dock. The 6-8 feet deep spots that i can reach produce more than the 4-6 ft spots.

2. There seems to be a pretty tight window of high activity in the final 30 minutes before sundown into the first 15 minutes after sundown. Same for sunrise (if you can get up that early smile ).

3. Minnows work best for me this time of year, and worms work better than leeches. All three will get you fish this time of year.

Just some general observations.

Thanks for the info chucker! We'll be up this weekend as well, so I'll try and post a report.

I have heard that the dock bite has been good this spring!

Cliff

Cliff,

Thanks for the info. Your posts are great. With the weather settling down, what r your thoughts on smallies. We are heading up this weekend and staying in wake em up bay. My boys want to try for a few..

Jumper

Jumper,

Smallies are really not my field but I suspect that they will be hanging out close to the first drop off from shore.

I have been fishing walleyes deep and close to rock and I have not caught a single smallie so I know they are not there!

Cliff

I haven't been on the big V, but I was on an Ely lake today just cruising shorelines looking for fish while pulling a shad rap and hooked up with three nice smallies. Not what I was looking for, but they are always fun to catch. They were hanging between 10-15 fow on the rocks and hit like a ton of bricks. Pulling between 2-2.5 mph. I hope that gives you a little insight. Good luck!

Coming up with some guys this weekend. Never been to vermilion what kind of depths and rigs should we be fishing for walleyes?

Walleyes are being caught at all depths with just about any rig that you may want to use so far this season.

I have been using mostly jigs or plain hook bait rigs. I have added a small float to my rigs and have had good luck fishing deeper water. Mostly smaller males there but getting limits of eater sized fish, 13" to 15".

Cliff

On Lake Vermilion now, unable to find any consistency in terms of spots, depths, etc. We've had a little luck near Rasperry Island, but all were very small.

We only have two more days on the lake and have a houseboat full of people who would like to see some action..any specific places or tips? We've also only caught them on shiners, but can't find a bait shop that sells any around our campsite. Know of any resorts that might have shiners around Swedetown Bay?

I GREATLTLY appreciate any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing friday and saturday. I would like to try to find some notherns. Anyone know of a good area to cast or troll for them? I'm staying on the east side on big bay. Is pike bay the best right now? I haven't been able to get many this trip. Thanks in advance

Greenwood or Everett. Lots of them in those areas a week ago. Look for the best weeds patches.

Also try Everett Bay and Stuntz Bay.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bass tournament on Vermilion in mid-July and I am wondering if the docks on the lake hold smallmouth pretty good. Is this a pattern I can expect to hold strong, or is it pretty hit or miss?

I have a bass tournament on Vermilion in mid-July and I am wondering if the docks on the lake hold smallmouth pretty good. Is this a pattern I can expect to hold strong, or is it pretty hit or miss?

I know they like hanging around our docks on the east end. My neighbor and I actually have names for the smallies living under our docks. We catch and release them several times each summer. One evening I was bobber fishing for Walleye. My wife called me in for dinner so I reeled in and decided to leave my line and minnow a couple of inches in the water. As I was eating dinner and looking out the window I noticed my rod bending and shaking. You guessed it, the pet smallie came up, grabbed the minnow and hooked himself. If only Walleye were that easy to catch!!

So it appears the general consensus for walleyes are leeches and worms?

Thanks

I have been using leeches, crawlers, and on occasion minnows yet.

Cliff

Anyone having any luck this weekend? Been slow, but haven't fished to hard with the weather...Any suggestions? Have tried most of our normal Frazer Bay spots

PSU,

We just got back to the lake and I've had about 3 hours in the last two days to hit my spots on Frazer, with the same results. It always takes time to figure it out but I'm heading over to Big Bay in about ten minutes.

RLG

All of my fish the past week have been caught in shallow water, (6'-12'), using lindys with leeches or 1/2 CC crawlers.

Cliff

Never made it to Big Bay today. Found fish in Daisy and Frazer. 10-12s in Daisy. A 20 and a 26 in Frazer. I have to credit Mark and Cliff for finally convincing me to go shallow! Thanks you two. I'm still having trouble finding good eaters but I'm not giving up on anything. PSU, hope you're finding some.

See you on the water,

RLG

redlabguy,

Thanks!

we boated 54 walleyes and kept 16 today in 6' to 8' of water!

Only 13" to 16" keepers but lots of fun!

No slot fish.

Cliff

Hey RLG, yes we found some in Frazer and off of our dock in Smart's Bay. Some big one's too at 23 and 2 21 inchers