• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Would The east end of Vermilion have a larger population of whitefish than Cisco?

Would the west end of vermilion have a larger population of Cisco than whitefish?

Anyone know?

The DNR doesn't include whitefish and tulibee in their population assessments, from my personal observations I believe theirs lots of tulibee in big bay as well as all the west end basins. The white fish population has been declining across the lake oover the years.

Guess I was thinking that cisco were similiar to tulibee but smaller. Guy learns something new all the time.

Ciscos have a few different names, tulibee is more of a canadian term, on lake superior the cisco is known as lake herring, I believe they call cisco chubs in lake michigan. I call them stinky...

jkrash thanks for the info!

Why do you think the whitefish population has been shrinking? Could them rustys have some sort of impact on them?

jkrash is it your experience that Whitefish are found is shallower water or warmer water temps than Tullibee?

jkrash thanks for the info!

Why do you think the whitefish population has been shrinking? Could them rustys have some sort of impact on them?

I'm not sure why the whitefish population seems to be declining.

Whitefish and Cisco (Tulibee) are easy to identify also. The whitefish has its upper lip overhanging the lower lip while the Cisco has its upper and lower jaw pretty much equal. There is something with the fins also but I can't remember that one. Just an FYI.

I've seen dead tulibees floating on the water when it's really hot in the summer. I've heard they are fun to catch through the ice and can be smoked for reasonably good eating. Any experience catching either tulibees or white fish through the ice? I would like to try it in the next couple of weeks and I would appreciate any tips. I thought I would agressively jig swedish pimples, cicada, or jigging raps, tipped with waxes in 30-50 FOW, but don't have any experience yet. Suggestions?

I've caught quite a few tulibee searching for crappie in the deeper holes around the lake, they'll eat small crappie minnows. I've caught a couple whitefish as well but they seem to be bottom feeders so you need to fish tight to the bottom in the deeper holes.

Tullibees can be caught at almost any depth but seem to congregate in the deeper holes best.

Small Swedish pimples,jigging Raps,or other small spoons tipped with a single wax worm has worked very well for me.

They really like silver, red glow and green glow lures.

You will need a flasher as they like to suspend. When you see one come in just get above it, jig a few times until it approaches your lure then slowly pull it away from the fish until it bites. The bite is usually really light so a soft rod tip or spring bobber really helps.

Cliff

Hey thanks guys, is this true through March/April as well? I thought I would concentrate on these fish after the walleye/Northern season closes.

I caught a bunch of tullibees last weekend on Lake of the Woods fishing for walleyes. Jigging just off bottome. I kept a few to smoke.

And whitefish are one of the best fish to eat . Mmmmmmm, whitefish!

I really enjoy smoked whitefish, Have you ever tried them fried?

How about the whitefish eggs?

March and April are the best months for a good Tullibee bite on Vermilion.

White fish are very good any way that you cook them!

Cliff

• 1 month later...

Coming up the first week of June on the east end for the first time. Not worried about finding the SM and have Casey as a guide for walleye. My question is how is the crappie fishing on the east end? On the west end it was find as many lay downs as possible and we would eventually find them. Do I do the same on the east end?

• 2 weeks later...

March and April are the best months for a good Tullibee bite on Vermilion.

White fish are very good any way that you cook them!

Cliff

Cliff, how are you fishing for tullibees in April? jig and minnow? I'd love to get some tullibees to smoke, but I can just see the DNR giving me a citation for fishing walleyes out of season.

In late March and early April I am still fishing through the ice on some years.

I use small jigging spoons baited with a single wax worm.

Small jigging Raps, etc. also work.

I usually do get a few walleyes when the tullibees are stuck to the bottom but as long as you release them immediately you are not breaking any laws.

I have not tried to target them during the open water season except during the Mayfly hatch. Then I use a fly rod with small poppers or wet flies.

Cliff

On occasion one can see large schools of lake herring (of one sort or another, sorry can't tell from distance) splashing on the surface. You think a little popper or nymph would get them to bite?

I think I will try that next summer.

Del,

If they are feeding on the surface after the mayfly hatch they are probably feeding on midges.

Should be able to use small black poppers or matching flies to catch them.

I like small yellow poppers or mayfly patterns during the mayfly hatch.

Cliff

This is long after the mayfly hatch. August maybe? Midges would make sense as nothing obvious is flying around the boat. I bet some trout flies would work too.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking into a week on Vermillion in June with my sons, dad and friends. I have not been to the lake or area and am looking for advice on resorts and general fishing tips and areas. We are thinking June 15-22.

Any help would be great!

The week that you are looking at is a great time on Vermilion for walleyes and bass!

Walleyes will be found almost anywhere on the shoreline breaks and reefs at that time.

I like to use Lindy rigs or jigs baited with minnows or leeches during that time period. Crawlers may be an option also depending upon the water temperature.

Slip bobbers,trolling cranks and many other methods will also catch walleyes.

The bass will be in shallow either spawning or in pre-spawn, again all depends upon the water temps.

Click on the Lake Vermilion ad at the top of this forum to check out the resorts or PM me and I will be happy to recommend a few.

Cliff

You will love Vermilion!

Cliff,

Has the spawn even started at the hatchery yet this year? I would not be surprised if it is one of those years when Pike Bay gets closed for a week or two; one week by ice and another by the DNR. Keith

Keith,

This morning will be the first pull of the trap nets. I will probably go over to see how that went and will report it here.

Pike Bay will be open to fishing according to the latest DNR report.

It will be a real close call as far as Pike Bay being clear of ice though!

Your dock should be a great spot this year for opener!

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Ace,

Thanks for this wealth of information! I'm on page 6 so far and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. It'll probably come up at some point in my reading but I'll ask now anyway, how's musky opener on Vermillion? I've never fished the lake before, and I'm thinking about grabbing a buddy and spending the weekend camping and fishing. I've never done much camping, and I just got a new HDS-8 w/Structure Scan I still have to break in!

I'm hoping for as general or as specific of info as you want to give me, general patterns/locations, specific lures and color types, exactly what kind of structure to look for, I appreciate anything you can tell me about early June Ski' fishing on the Big V. Thanks again, and while I'll wait I'll finish of the other forty-five pages!

Hey everyone. What a beautiful lake only me second time fishing here in the last few years. I have been fortunate enough to be fishing on vermillion for the last 3 days. Pretty good bite inside of pike bay for eater size fish but I'm looking for some big females to catch and release, we have had a couple in the low 20's but cannot seem to find any bigger girls! Anyone have any tips or suggestions to find bigger ones?? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Tough bite for bigger fish right after the spawn. Your best bet will be to fish shallower structure in the morning or evenings. Slip bobber and a leech or minnow the last hour of the day has been our best chance for the bigger fish. At least in past years. This year may be a different animal however.

Normally there are more big walleye on west end, but fewer total walleye. But this year who knows. Spawn is probably still going on. The hatchery got theirs but the rest of them may well still be doing their thing.

And, at least as I could see from the webcams, the west end still had a fair amount of ice. I hope today helped.