• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks guys, any thoughts on the pike population? I normally troll muskie plugs for them in Canadian Shield lakes, and it worked well for me on Vermilion a few years ago, but not the last two years. Also, I rarely catch them muskie fishing anymore.

Thanks again for all your insights.

Niles,

For myself, the pike population seems to be fine on the west end, I guess looking back we caught more numbers in 2008 and 2009, with the last 2 summers not as many, BUT the size has been much much better for me the last 2 years. I dont know if it is just a coincidence or if it something to do with the lake. Paying attention to water temps is something that you can correlate to amounts of fish in the boat as well.

Timmy

Pike need good vegetation to spawn, so with the rustys wiping out most weeds on the east end it would make sense that they would be less and less abundant as the years go by. But individuals should be larger. From my understanding everything should still be normal west of oak narrows as far as weeds go. I don't know what end of the lake you're fishing but that could answer your numbers problem.

According to DNR trap numbers the Pike population on Vermilion is right at historic numbers. It rarely fluxuates that much and hasn't changed numbers wise in a long time. The Pike on the east end have long since addapted to the changes in their inviroment. You have always had to go to some of the smaller bays for big numbers of fish. It's not that often you catch a lot of Pike while Walleye fishing. If you want Pike you typically have to target them, you just don't catch that many incedental Pike on the east end.

I target Pike in many areas of the east side. They average larger than on the west end, however the west side has higher numbers. Either side gives you a real opportunity at very large Pike. I'm sure there are some 50 inchers swimming around in Vermilion. I have seen them up to 48 inches and I have caught a lot of fish in the 40 to 45 inch range over the years. My favorite way to catch them is on a spinnerbait. I just don't think you can beat them for overall production when it comes to Pike. Buzzbaits are also a lot of fun, nothing like hooking a big one on a topwater. They will hit a lot of baits and they produce at certain times but for a day to day presentation it's hard to beat a white spinnerbait with gold, or silver willow leaf blades.

"ACE"

Hey Yo,

I have been watching fishing shows all weekend and it seems like everybody is after Smallmouth bass lately. I can't blame them for wanting to fish for them. I love chasing them myself, whenever I get the chance. Lots of new baits on the market for Smallmouth fishing. New soft platics especially designed for Smallies are expanding all the time. Great new swimbait designs in different actions and colors. A number of new crankbaits from a lot of different companys are out there as well.

How in the heck do they expect me to keep up with all this new and different stuff?

I mean, I gotta have it....Do they know how hard it is to explain to my wife that I simply had to spend a few hundred at the tackle store on new baits?? Even though I already have several 100 crankbaits, boxes of soft plastics and a whole mess of swimbaits...She looks at me like I'm out of my mind or something. All I can think is "Doesn't she understand me at all"? I don't think they understand the stress they put me under when they release all these new baits...Maybe they have some kind of support groups out there where fishermen can come together and work out these very serious issues, before it causes problems that can't be fixed. God I hope so...

Is the ice gone yet??

"Ace"

Yo,

Hey its me again. Thanks for your responses Cliff/Dave. Well in about a week now, ill be headin up there. Looking forward to it! Just wondering about how the fishings been goin and how thick the ice is? Im possibly coming with a snowmobile/4 wheeler if there is snow on the ground can anyone let me know?

There is around 4" to 6" of snow on the lake. Maybe 8" in the woods.

24 inches of ice yesterday!

The walleye bite has been very slow for most of us.

Cliff

Last year I hard time catching pike on the east side. Fishing the weeds most of the time. Don't know what was up with the lack of pike compared to 2010. It seams like them rustys keep taking out the weeds in some of the bays. What do you guys think the pike are feeding on in open water? Ealpout, perch, rustys, white fish, walleye's. I caught a 38" pike in Daisy Bay one time lindy rigging in 20' + Of water. When I pulled it out of the net I saw that half of it's face was bit off. It had less than half of it's mouth left. That's why he could not bite my line off. The one eye that was still there was white. So it was blind. And had huge teeth marks across it with deep gouges across it's body. The weird thing was all the wounds looked like they healed up. The fish put up a good fight! It would be cool If I or someone would catch that pike again someday!

The main forage for Pike and Muskies when they are suspending or roaming the deep basin is Ciscos/toulibes. I did notice a little drop in numnbers last summer however I also noticed a larger average size for Pike last season. We boated a lot of fish over 35 inches last year and about 15 fish over 40 inches, including a 45 and two 44's.

One bait that really did well last summer was a hollow belly swimbait. They seemed perfectly willing to hit them when they wouldn't hit anything else. Also, don't overlook a topwater bait when they just don't seem to want to hit your spinnerbait or jerkbait. I get a lot of nice Pike on Buzzbaits and Zara spooks, especially when it's hot and water temps get into the high 70's. You'll also hook a bonus Muskie on occasion, they love topwaters during the summer months.

"Ace"

Hey Guideman, quit being such a consumer and find what works for you and stick to it. You are buying all this junk that is the same as what you have. go out and find what works on your own, just making other people rich and your wife more poor. Rapala loves your kind of people.

As one who depends on "the consumer" don't ever change my friend! Although you do know you could bring some of your slightly used baits in the store we've done well "recycling" lures. That would give you some spending money for the new items!

When fishing for pike in big bay would a guy just pick out a reef and start throwing baits over it? How about trolling deep diving baits over mud flats?

Fish stalker,

I think you're taking it more seriously than I was. Besides, buying new stuff is one of the best parts of being a serious fishermen. I even get to buy stuff that I don't normally use myself, because my clients ask for it. There are a lot of new things out there that are "New and different". I have some stuff that I have been throwing for a number of years. On the other hand I love to check out the new stuff because you just never know, it could be the next "Magic bait" in your arsenal.

"Ace"

You will typically find Pike around structure when fishing the deep basin. They nay be suspending, however they are usually close to some kind of structure. Points off of deep rock or large reefs can often hold large numbers of Pike. Trolling is a great way to catch them however I like to be a little more "hands on" when I'm looking for those big Pike. I like to use big hair jigs tipped with some kind of soft plastic concoction. You can locate the fish on your electronics in most cases.

Fishing vertically I work the jig with big rips and most of the bites come on the fall. I have caught Pike as deep as 40ft on many occasions out in Big bay. Large rattle baits can also be jigged verticallly and the Pike will absolutely pound them. Typically cisco or Whitefish patterns work pretty well, however white sucker and Perch patterns can also be very effective. Large spoons are another good choice when rigging for these deep water Pike. You don't work them like you would in shallow water however. You work them like a jig with long rips just as it touches the bottom. You don't want to let it lie on the bottom for to long. You have a much better shot at catrching them when they can't really tell what it is.

Just let the spoon fall on a slack line and they genrally will hit it while it's fluttering back down. I like a braided line for this application. You get a much better hookset in deep water with braided line. Florocarbon is better than mono and it can be used as well, I just prefer a good braid myself.

"Ace"

I'm heading out next weekend and am curious about the ice conditions. I'll be coming out of oak narrows so could go either way. Are there any bad spots to avoid? Also, any general suggestions for panfish or walleye would be great. I've never ice fished Vermilion, only summer fished a couple times. I did well off the southeast side of Gold Island last summer. Are these types of places good for holding eye's in the winter? Thanks for any suggestions.

thundercluck,

That should also be a very good area for winter walleyes and perch.

Cliff

Thanks for the info Ace! I will try Them tacktics this summer. Can't wait for open water. Love being in my boat! How soon do these big pike leave the weeds and head for deep water? Don't ever seem to catch big pike in the weeds just smaller ones.

Ace,

I am with you when it comes to new tackle! Something about walking into a Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Thorne Bros., etc. that gets the fishing juices flowing. It is fun to experiment with new tackle. I found my favorite fall crankbait for walleyes doing this and it ain't a shad rap (although they are excellent). Walking into one of the aforementioned establishments is like walking into a candy store for me.

Does anyone have some advice on weed walleye's? I have been trying to find the weed walleye's for the last couple of years with little success. Do you fish the shoreline weeds towards evening, or are there weed flats that are productive? What particular depths are you looking at in general?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Has any one been through the narrows? I'm heading out this weekend. We are thinking about Gold Island on the East end and Oak Island on the West end of the narrows. Is the ice ok for travel, either in a tahoe or on a 4 wheeler? I walked from Birch Narrows to Oak Island last year, and prefer not to do that again! Thanks

• 1 month later...

im coming up to the big V during the second week of june, staying up in Norwegian bay. Id like to stand a good chance of getting into the walleyes and bass at that point. What kind of depth am I looking at and what would be the best presentation. Panfish for a good meal would be nice as well

im coming up to the big V during the second week of june, staying up in Norwegian bay. Id like to stand a good chance of getting into the walleyes and bass at that point. What kind of depth am I looking at and what would be the best presentation. Panfish for a good meal would be nice as well

Norwegian Bay, is a beautiful location. I've fished in that area many times that time of year. There are two separate bays on the far NE end of Norwegian Bay. Both hold lots of Gils and Largemouth. Heading South along the western edge, I've caught crappie & Walleyes from Twin Island to the point on the south end of Norwegian Bay. 7' to 25'.....depending on the day.

Norwegian Point is a great place for Smallies. ( I use Gary Yamamoto Seko worms for the smallies, and top water poppers in the evening. 2-5' of water ) Center Island in Wakemup Bay holds tons of Jumbo Perch. Caught one on every cast one evening.

Black Bay is a great location for topwater Largemouth. Chucking weedless frogs into the lillies always seems to work in the afternoon and is a blast. Small pike tend to smash the frogs too. I've seen guys catching Crappie there also.

I've caught Walleye and Smallies off Turtle Island in the middle of the day on the 12-25' foot break.

If you don't know all the spots I'm talking about, pick up a Map from one of the local shop when you up there.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you. I'll be there around that time myself.

Cheers.

Hey Supermono,

Those seems like some really great spots. Being new to fishing and living on the west end, I am always looking for some advice. I did have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who wants to answer). Regarding Black Bay, are you talking about the area farthest north and/or the area that I think is called the partridge river? Second, are you able to find fish in those areas all season long? I thought I read on here or somewhere that Black Bay is great in spring but it shuts down as the water temps rise because of the color of the water and the lack of oxygen for the fish. Granted I could be totally wrong. I really appreciate the insight from everyone.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, you get to Black Bay via the Partridge River. I only fish Black Bay in June. I have heard that also. I'm sure one of the guides on here know more about that lake than me.

I fish top water in there, all over. Don't have one area. The bay is loaded with weeds and lillies. When the North wind is blowing, its a nice place to get out of the wind and get a Largemouth to rise. I'm sure there is many ways to fish Black Bay, but I'm a top water lover.

The Partridge River is lined with Lilly pads, also. smile

Cheers

I've always done well fishing for walleye in the flats of Norwegian Bay from Windsock Island south. Lots of good fishing spots. You almost don't need to leave Norwegian Bay because you get every type of fishing habitat in there.

Black Bay is well, black because of the iron. It's a hot place in the spring because of the crappies and walleye. The walleye do generally move out post-spawn and the crappies move deeper. Black Bay is no deeper than 6' anywhere. Due to the depth, the dark tint, and other factors the water heats up by June and more of the fish head to deeper, cooler waters. You can always find large mouth and panfish but the rest of them are a bit more scarce. I've caught walleye in the fall in BB and random crappies here and there, but you just won't find them consistently. Plus since the water is warmer and less choppy, you get lots of jet skis, water skis, and tubes going through there throughout the summer so it adds to the tough fishing.

Don't even think about fishing it in winter. You'll likely auger right into the muck.

I'm going to be headed to Vermilion for the first time during the first week of June. I have a couple questions. Since it's my first time I would like to hire a guide for at least a day. I know where to find a list of guides for the lake but is there one guide that's better than the others? Or maybe a couple that I should check out above the other ones? Second where can I get a good fishing map of the lake? I usually use the hot spots maps. Not becaue of the fishing spots but because I think they have very nice detailed maps. Is the first week of june still a good time to catch musky? My brother and never caught one and I've only caught one so it would be cool to try to get a one each. Thanks guys and i can't wait to get up to the lake and start fishing!

Great idea to hire a guide and if I were to a hire a guide I would hire Cliff Wagenbach. Very nice guy and posts on this forum all the time giving out some good info.

Schulsebus,

Welcome to HSO!

The first week of June is probably not the best time for musky but I am sure that a few will be caught the first week of the musky season! I do not fish for them but there are plenty of members on this forum that do and will be able to give you better advice.

The first week of June is a very good time for walleyes and bass though!

The Hot Spots map is a good map. There are plenty of other maps available up here also.

The Food and Fuel in Tower will have maps,bait, tackle, and almost any other thing that you will need.

Cliff

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Cliff I will probably contact your soon about your guiding services. Our main forcus is going going to be walleye bass and panfish. It will be the first week of June so hopefully you're available. I'm staying at the Forest Lane Resort. Is that considered east side? It's still a couple months off but I can't wait!