• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Would a first-time visitor to Vermilion enjoy if he stayed at a resort on Head of the Lakes Bay, rented one of the resort boats, and just cruised and fished aimlessly (for bass) without expectations?

Chex, wait for Ace to chime in on this but I'd say yes! You really don't need to be aimless, ask the resort owners for pointers. They should be able to help out!

Hey Chex,

There are some excellent opportunies for both species of Bass in the Head of the lakes area. Early summer is probably the best time for Smallmouth, but they will bite all summer long. The Largemouth are typically in the slop and can be very easy to catch at times. There is plenty of good cover for both fish in the area.

You won't have to travel to far so even a small rental boat will get the job done.

Most of the bay is well protected from high winds and rough water, so you don't really need a great big boat.

I have caught some real nice Bass right under the docks at Head of the lakes resort over the years. There is also some nice cabbage right in front of the resort and along the south shoreline you'll find some pads and reeds to fish.

The Smallies will locate themselves on rocky shorelines and island points and there are plenty of both near by the resort.

Have fun!

"Ace"

I think just cruising aimlessly anyone would enjoy and you probably would get bass so a first time visitor on the lake would want to make it an annual trip!

I am KING of "Just cruising aimlessly" an enjoying it all.

crazy

Bassen is a blast...plus you tend to get in on all the other cool fish also if'n yas hits diffrent areas along yer way to having a good time.

Yup..Still Alive n Well.

cool

T

I am KING of "Just cruising aimlessly" an enjoying it all.

crazy

Bassen is a blast...plus you tend to get in on all the other cool fish also if'n yas hits diffrent areas along yer way to having a good time.

Yup..Still Alive n Well.

cool

T

Hi Tommy!

Welcome back! It has been a while since you have posted!

Cliff

Head o lakes is really nice and has some very fine people with cabins on it. Also Wakemup bay isn't much of a ride.

Moosebirds has good ice cream.

I've resolved to target smallies more often in 2012. East side. Any tips, especially on lures, locations and presentation?

Thanks for your thoughts,

RLG

Tactic for Smallmouth are varied depending on what time of year you plan to target them. In the spring and early summer, they will hit a variety of different baits and presenations. Over the course of the season you can catch them on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, inline spinners, topwaters, soft plastics, jigs tipped with a wide variety of plastic trailers and of course live bait.(Not recommended by me) In the spring they will be found up shallow much of the time and the bite can be really hot during the prime spawning period.

Rocks, docks,wood, points, reeds, shoreline rubble, inshore humps and rockpiles and just about anywhere a fish can swim, will at some time have Smallmouth bass in the neighborhood. Smallmouth will also suspend at times, especially during the summer months. Drop shoting over deep structure can be a hot ticket during the summer as well. In the fall Smallmouth will start to move into wintering areas where sharp drops into deeper water can concentrate them in large numbers. Spoons work great in the fall when fishing these types of structures. For more info just go back to some previous post on this thread, you'll find a lot more tips and tactics to try.

"Ace"

Hey guys first time here on the forum and looking for some help. After many years of making trips up to Canada our group has decided on lake Vermillion for this year and wondered what you could yell me about the Pike Bay area as we have rented a nice place on Pike bay on june 15th for the week. We have never been on this lake and are looking to score some walleyes and anything else we can land as we have a group of about 10 guys that have been making these trips for over 10 years so any help would be great. I thought about a guide for one day just to get a lay of the area so info on that would be great also. Were a pretty laid back group who just enjoys the great outdoors and fishing. We are hoping this is the first of many trip to the lake as Canada was getting too expensive and a pain in the butt crossing every year. We have our own boats and like to explore but would really like to catch fish also.

hunter8,

Welcome to FM/HSO!

Mid June is the peak of the spring bite on Vermilion for walleyes and many other species.

Pike Bay will still have quite a few walleyes,small mouths and a few pike in it yet.

It is not far to the main lake basin from there also. Good fishing for walleyes at many depths and with almost any presentation that you like to use.

Cliff

Thanks for the info, being in Pike bay how far out are we from the main lake and how far away are we to some good fishing spots ? Are you available for a day of guide service for a couple of us as I dont imagine you want to guide 10 people. I was just mainly looking for a guide so we get to know the lake a little and not hit something we werent suppose to but putting us on some fish would be ok to. We are really looking forward to this trip and some relaxation. We are staying at the Pike Bay Getaway cabin if you are familiar with that and also the one right next door.

Hey Hunter,

I live on Pike bay and there are some decent fishing opportunities in the bay. The main lake is 5 miles from my place but I live right on the end of the bay. The Big bay area is the main basin and there are more good spots for Walleyes than you can fish in a week. Depending on what kind of spring we have you won't have to travel too far to find active Walleyes. Jigs and Lindy rigs tipped with minnows are the go to bait typically that time of the season. You can however also catch fish on leeches and crawlers as well. I also do a lot of trolling in the spring with minnow style crankbaits. Bottom bouncers and spinners are also a pretty good option

when other presentations aren't producing.

Get yourselves a Lakemaster paper map to study over the winter. The lake can be a little overwhelming for first timers, however it fishes much smaller than you might think. If you have fished Canadian shield lakes before, it won't be that difficult to make the adjustment to Lake Vermilion. Lots of mainlake points and islands, midlake humps and rockpiles and many smaller bays to fish that also hold good numbers of Walleyes. I do have some availabilty for early in that week of June and I can also put you on Pike and Smallmouth bass.

"Ace"

Ace's point was right on. Vermilion may seem like a big lake, but unlike the big ones like URL and Mille Lacs, Vermilion is more like a chain of connected smaller lakes. Each bay presents different opportunities and challenges. There are no dead bays, just different possibilities. Good luck.

The first two weeks of June the last two years have been BIG FISH city... lots of big eyes roaming the east end now. Should be a great time of year.

hunter8,

Both of those rental cabins are right next door to me on the Pike River!

I still have openings available also during that time period.

Cliff

Thanks for the info, being in Pike bay how far out are we from the main lake and how far away are we to some good fishing spots ? Are you available for a day of guide service for a couple of us as I dont imagine you want to guide 10 people. I was just mainly looking for a guide so we get to know the lake a little and not hit something we werent suppose to but putting us on some fish would be ok to. We are really looking forward to this trip and some relaxation. We are staying at the Pike Bay Getaway cabin if you are familiar with that and also the one right next door.

Ha, I almost rented that cabin from Bart as well. He seemed like a good guy. I ended up renting one on the Orr end of the lake instead. Have fun

Just an FYI,

You may have some difficulty in the river if water levels don't come up substantially by springtime. It's very shallow even when water levels are at or above normal. Go slow and use the trolling motor because there are some very large rocks and not much water flowing in the river right now. We have been in drought conditions since last spring. I know I'll have trouble getting to my dock if things don't improve by the start of the fishing season.

"Ace"

Thanks for the info guys, Bart did tell me about the shallow water getting to his place but said it shouldn't be a problem just go slow and trim your motor way up. At least I hope it wont be a problem as we are really excited about the trip and that would put a little damper on it but the way he sounded Im not to worried about it. Cliff since you know where this place is we are staying how far to some good fishing spots as Bart did give me your name as a possible guide for us. How far are we out to the big bay or the nearest public launch.

As Ace stated, it is only about 5 miles to Big Bay. 10 minutes or so ride.

Ace is also right about the shallow spots in the river with this low water! Hopefully we will get rain and snow by opener to bring the river and lake up to normal. I had to use my bow mount trolling motor to get to my dock the last 3 weeks of the season last fall! Have not seen the water in the river this low since I moved here 26 years ago!

Cliff

No matter what you want to fish for while you're here, you won't have to travel more than 10 miles to find what you're looking for. The eastern basin is very large however there are lots of islands and smaller bays to explore and all the fish you'll ever want are close by. In mid June you will still find a lot of Walleyes still in Pike bay or just outside the bay on some large mainlake flats.

"Ace"

The walleye bite has been very slow for most of us. Still catching a jumbo perch or two on most days.

Cliff

Hey Everyone,

Im a new member of HSO and this is my first time on the forums. I was just wondering if someone would mind giving me some info and a few tips about Lake Vermilion. In about two weeks me and some friends will be staying at Glenmore Resort. None of us have ever been up to the area before and honestly ive never even fished up north so im kind of clueless on what to expect/do. Im not a noobie fisherman but any advice as what to use/where to go would be really appreciated. laugh

thanks,

danny

Welcome danny,

I'm sure others will chime in, when you come up you can stop at the store and I can let you know the latest that I've been hearing. How long are you planning on staying up here? I guess I'd maybe take a look at fishing on Vermilion and also think about fishing one of the designated trout lakes or hitting burntside for some Lake Trout. As long as you're up here you might want to try a couple of different things.

Thanks Dave,

Ill be at Glenmore from the 15th-20th. I definately want to fish Vermillion a few days in hopes of catching a few walleyes, perch and a northern or two but this being my first time there I nor my buddy will have a clue where to start. Any guidance would be great.Im willing to try anything thatll catch me some fish laugh

Welcome Danny!

The walleye bite has slowed down considerably on Vermilion the past couple of weeks but a few are still being caught.

The perch bite is a little better at least!

Tip-ups and set lines have been working best for walleyes. Bait them with Dave's guaranteed pike suckers or a rainbow chub. Early and late try depths ranging from 12' to 16'. Mid day fish depths from 26' to 36'.

Get off by yourself!!! The fish out away from the crowds are less finicky!

The perch have been hitting medium sized jigging spoons baited with a crappie minnow or a minnow head. Once you get one to come in quit jigging! Let the rod sit totally still until they bite!

Cliff

Hello guys,

My first post, but I have been "lurking" for the last few years and have really enjoyed the vast information being shared from the experienced fishermen on this forum. Thanks to Ace who started this thread, Cliff and the others who have shared their knowledge. I bought a lake home on Niles Bay in 2008 and have recently retired to pursue my dream to live and fish on this wonderful lake. I look forward to sharing my experience and hearing from you on this forum. I have several questions (that I don't think have been asked) for starters:

1. In 2008/2009, I caught numerous pike either casting for muskies or by trolling big muskie lures. In 2010/2011 my pike numbers weere way down. Has this been your experience? What is happening to the pike population?

2. How do you target ciscos and whitefish through the ice? (I like to smoke these guys)

3. Are smallmouth bass more like to stay in one area for extended periods of time, or do you have to search from one day to the next like you do walleye fishing? I have some "go to spots" that normally produce a few SM, but I may be in a rut.

4. Is there a local chapter of Muskie Inc? Is it worthwhile attending their meetings?

Again thanks for all the advice and I look forward to conversing with you.

Hey Niles bay Husker,

The Arrowhead chapter was in Virginia for about 8 years but we had to fold it up because we just couldn't get many local Muskie fishermen involved with Muskies Inc.

You can go to meetings in Grand Rapids on the last Tuesday of the month, however we seldome have a speaker. The Lake Superior Chapter meets at Mr.D's in Duluth on the second Tuesday of the month. They always have a speaker at their meetings. I just did a seminar there a couple of weeks ago.

Some Smallmouth will stay in prime areeas all season long however most will move as water temps rise and their food source changes.Late spring and early summer during the spawning phase there will be a lot of fish in the shallows. I have had some great days catching Smallies in Niles bay over the years, however things change up there once it warms up. There are also some excellent Largemouth and Muskie opportunities in Niles bay, all you have to do is look for them.

"Ace" <*)))><

NilesBayHusker,

Welcome to FM/HSO!

Tullibees are easy to catch in the winter, especially in late Feb. and march.

Just look for water that is 30 feet and deeper and jig small spoons (on a noodle rod) baited with a wax worm. A flasher is a must have to be able to see them, as they are usually suspended. When you see one on your flasher just raise your bait a couple of feet above them, when they get right at the bait slowly raise it away from them and watch your rod tip for the light bite, set the hook immediately!

Cliff