• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catching Smallies near Monti

tsande00

Thanks for the great info. I had a wonderful time out there today. I did not hit anyone’s personal spots and I gave the shore fisherman the right of way.

It was a vary productive day wink

Great weather but a few ice bergs and some slush but not enough to hinder the fishing.

Thanks again every one

Andy

Glad to here you were up this way Andy and it sounds like you had a bit of fun to boot its not flatheads but its openwater fishin or we could call it practice until the real game fish starts back up ...flatheads that is

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dylan33

• JayJ

• tsande00

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm done being childish. JayJ, we may disagree om some things, but we can both agree we like to fish so you are ok in my book. I was just trying to get a rise out of you. I'm now done doing so.

That said, I hope to get out today or tomorrow. One last time until opener, should be good.

Jay let me set you straight on what you read...I didn't say that you were a liar. What I said is don't call people liars. You are too funny laugh

So to get back to topic, we had a great day yesterday. We caught a few smallies and lost a cat right next to the shore. It was great to get out and cast. I like ice fishing, but can't wait to get out and enjoy the warm summer sun. I am at the Montissippi Park each week for work, so I get to see the river at all stages and it will be really interesting what the river will have in store this spring.

I haven't been out for a couple of weeks...Is the melting snow and ice right now causing dramatically higher water levels and faster current? Hopefully i'll be able to get out once more before the season closes- hopefully next Monday.

River conditions are as good as they've been all season.

Except the crowd! Thanks internet grinwink

This weather always brings 'em out. People need to take it for what it is. A party, Geeze say hi, If ya get past my stink eye, I'll say, come on over. Most people are pretty good. Caught bass and walleyes on deer hair and lead in second hand spots. Saw a bunch of cats caught.

Was out around monticello from shore yesterday afternoon. 3 guys landed our share of smallies in the afternoon with medium suckers on circle hooks under a float......There were about 20 guys fishing within site of us. It was busy, but everyone was respectful and having a good time.

Then spent late afternoon into evening using the remaining dead bait for cats. Landed nearly 20 between 2 and 5 pounds in about an hour. Met some interesting fellow river rats and shared some tunes into the evening.

Caught fish consistanly all day and the circle hooks were working perfect. Not one swallowed hook all day and all the fish swam away with spit and vinegar. What a great fishery up there. Let's all make sure we continue to treat the fish with the care and respect they deserve so people can enjoy catching them for years to come.

Thanks to FisherDave and JD for allowing a south metro guy to tag along and enjoy some open water action.

I have a dumb question to those that are more famiiar fishing this stretch of the Miss than I am.

My dad and I are planning on floating this stretch in a canoe this summer, we've never done that before. We are both lazy, andmore interested in a relaxing float than an intense paddle. What are your thoughts for where to put in, and where to float to (2-4 hour float trip) to put in as little work as possible and still be on some prime smallie water.

It's sad, but I've actually never fished this stretch in the summer, should we start upstream of the plant and float down to ellison? or monticippi to elk river? Thanks for the input

depends on how much fishing you wanna do. Personally, for a 2 hour float, I'd cover about a half mile of water if it was all good for fishing

if you just float and cast as you go down the river, you might plan on covering about 1 mile per hour.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ya I know. I'm a smally advocate and I'm trying to save their lips. :>) They fight so much better in the summer on plastics. In the winter they need to eat, get fat and get ready for the upcoming battles. I admit I've been over there and drown some suckers, but not something to pound and pound and pound. With all of these reports I bet it gets busy at times.

Was out today from 9:00 until about 2:00. Wow, what a crowd, parking lot packed, who woulda thunk 50 degrees would bring people out. The fog made for some really cool scenery, wish I'd brought my camera. Looking either way down the river, you could just make out silhouettes of guys in waders all the down on both sides. Couple boats out as well. I wouldn't call it combat fishing but it was close quarters. Like a previous poster said, everyone was respectful and friendly. Fishing was slow today, but we got some decent ones. I assume the river's been getting pounded the last few days with nice temps.

To answer Dylan's question, water levels are normal but current was moving a tad quicker than a couple weeks ago, but nothing extreme.

Here's a pic of one of our good ones today. Sorry I couldn't resist.

full-32058-6012-picture1.jpg

Im to funny, i thought you were the comedian Bassman.....Its ok that your buds are calling peope liars and calling people names. and when they do that i guess you have short term memory issues cause they sure didnt get brought up or yelled at ( lol ) And then to completely fabricate that i called someone a liar in here......You must be one of those dreaded spot hoarders ive been reading about here. You obviously have a real problen with guys disagreeing with you, someone who has a clue. Dylan you didnt respond, did you call that guy a liar, you dont have too, and you are who dan gapen, sorry dylan

One last thing the "VAST MAJORITY" of sportsmen and women in here are great folks. it's a miniority that caused the circus on wed. And im not saying your responsible dylan, presco, bassman etc. But some are, period! But im really trying to look at the bigger overall picture that this entails...I got my point across and some know exactly what i am talking about, yes presco we all are fellow fishermen and as such i will wave to all

First of all JayJ- who the heck is dan gapen?

Secondly- your posts seem to be lack anything that could even resemble a rational thought.

Thirdly- blaming me and presco for the river being busy is just ludicrus. I have fished that stretch of river for about 3 years,presco has for 4, I think. So shut up and stop blaming people when you don't know what you are talking about.

Fourth- JayJ, do you think that the poplation explosion in this area has any effect on how busy your river is? Its been said before, there are no secrets. Its busier because it is easily accessible for more people. And Wednesday's turnout has much more to do with people having spring fever than people taking on this forum.

And lastly- I never called anyone a liar. What are you talking about?

I understand where you are coming from JayJ, I really do. I hate when a secret lake I know or a spot I've worked hard to find is suddenly ruined because of loose lips. I guess we differ in that I accept it and move on to the next place. You seem to throw blame around, but I'd ask you bluntly to truly say you've never mentioned catching smallies on the river near Monticello to anyone? Honestly? Because your little comment about how its not my fault rings hallow to me. You do blame us which is sad because you don't know me. The guy that told me about the river asked me to keep it quiet and I have, meaning most of the time I head up alone or with the other guy my buddy told. You don't think I'd love to head up there with 5-10 friends and catch fish? It'd be great, but I don't do that for the exact reasons you describe. If you read my posts, I don't mention specific places, only that I was out. The one time I did mention the parks was just to say I was there and they were busy. To me, saying the name of the park is like saying, "hey, you can catch fish in Lake Minnetonka". Like I said, I have no problem moving on, but I think you need to be careful throwing blame around. I'd guess in all the years you've know about it, you've let it slip at some point meaning your incessant blame throwing doesn't come across as righteous, it comes across as hypocritical. I also think its incredibly ironic that you show up on a Forum titled "Catching Smallies near Monti" and basically scream, "SHHHHHH, keep it quiet, we don't want others to know". Frankly, I think that was missed on you. So, lets just agree we both like fishing, but lets cut the blame throwing. It doesn't do anybody any good.

I almost feel like putting a map up of the best spots at the 2 parks after reading this, the population boom, the shows, and the articles have way more to do with the increased pressure than anything you have read on this site or others, I am not saying they are not a contributing factor, but pretty far down on the list. And as far as #'s and size on the river, I stand by my previous post, period. I don't think the fishing has gotten any worse or better in the last 10 years, the fish move, the spots change, its the river get used to it. If you don't like pressure stay away from the major shore fishng areas and there is little to no pressure on most days.

I almost feel like putting a map up of the best spots at the 2 parks after reading this, the population boom, the shows, and the articles have way more to do with the increased pressure than anything you have read on this site or others, I am not saying they are not a contributing factor, but pretty far down on the list. And as far as #'s and size on the river, I stand by my previous post, period. I don't think the fishing has gotten any worse or better in the last 10 years, the fish move, the spots change, its the river get used to it. If you don't like pressure stay away from the major shore fishng areas and there is little to no pressure on most days.
I agree except for me avg. size is up but I really struggle finding those 18" plus fish like I used to for about the last 3 to 5 years.

I am done talking about Jay, as well as most on this forum seem to be. We get the point that you are upset about the area having more fisherman than ever before, but like everyone else that has posted we don't agree with your take. Let's get back to what this post is all about-sharing techniques, stories, knowledge of the area, what to watch out for, etc.

I am hoping to get out later next week, hopefully the weather holds.

Quote:
Remember guys, if you are targeting smallies, the bass season ends Feb 27th.

On Feb 28th - May 27th the the Monticello Crappies will be the main draw whistle

I don't see what all the complaining by a few on here is about. I was out there on Thursday and there wasn't that many people in the spot I was fishing and everyone was catching fish and having a good time. It was pretty cool on the river in the morning with the fog and I got some pretty cool pictures. We fished carp after the smallie bite slowed down and everyone had a blast.

Hey Carp, if you don't mind, post some of the pics. I was out there on Thursday AM as well and didn't have a camera on me. The fog was really cool.

On Feb 28th - May 27th the the Monticello Crappies will be the main draw whistle

hey Ebass- can you show me exactly where those crappies will be and how to catch them? i want to get a group of 30-40 friends out there to catch our limits. Thanks. laugh

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Quote:

Remember guys, if you are targeting smallies, the bass season ends Feb 27th.

On Feb 28th - May 27th the the Monticello Crappies will be the main draw

Remember yer 4 inch crawcolored tubes! Crappies love em! heehee

Do you guys know about how long it would take to float float the river? Was thinking of dropping in the boat around there and possible going all the way down into the champlin, anoka area where I live. Just kinda curious if it would be an all day thing or what depending on how I work the river.

I floated from Montissippi to Otsego and it took about 5 hours but I was simply floating...not much of a paddler. I also made several stops. I'd rather sit back, sip beers, and enjoy scenery. Could have done it much faster.

I've floated from Becker to Ellison in Monti several times and that seems to take about 4-5 hours...also not much paddling going on.

If I recall correctly the average spring to mid summer current will pull you about 2-3 miles per hour. Obviously if you worked for it you could go much faster.

hey Ebass- can you show me exactly where those crappies will be and how to catch them? i want to get a group of 30-40 friends out there to catch our limits. Thanks. laugh

Don't forget to bring your friend's friends and their friends. Lets fish this river out! grin

a 21 inch largemouth from the mississippi river in Monticello? I'm not going to say I don't believe you....of wait...yes I am. I don't believe you.

Hey Dylan, remember this post of yours pal, um if thats not calling a guy a liar what is, lol. Did you want to retract another lie from your 3 amigos. And all this from a guy whos fished the mighty mississippi for 3 whole years.

Ahhh bassman, the comedian in the group. For the third time you skipped right over your amigos lies and name calling and the fact that you lied. Saying that i called someone a liar in here, what a great guy

And presco, it should be presto, the way you hone in on guys spots.

Pretty sure Dylan most of what i have said is fact, some of which was concured by your own members.

You guys seem to find lying at times as an acceptable truth, now thats sad presco....