• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catching Smallies near Monti

tsande00

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dylan33

• JayJ

• tsande00

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest "box" that Jay puts himself in is that he is part of HSO. crazy This is an on-line forum that talks about shared experiences, techniques that are working or not, and areas that are holding fish. On top of all of that, he is in a topic that is labeled "catching smallies near Monti" too funny laugh

i havent been on this sight in a very long time, thought i would take a gander. I responded to some of the things mentioned, sorry i didnt share any spots bassman

Not part of any "community' I signed in to make a comment

JayJ-I don't think bassman was saying that you can't be on the forum if you don't want to share your spots...you don't have to. But being new, and coming on this forum to rip everyone who is sharing info, which is what the forum is designed to do,...that's kind of ironic, and just plain dumb

Did you want a map maybe? Then you can bring your 6 friends and then they can bring there 6 friends. Won't that be fun. And thats whats going on here. The guys here have been very forthright ( to much so imo ) where there fishing and with what there using fly fishing............maybe I can pick you up at your door too.

Why don't you settle down I never asked to be put on fish or a map I know how to find fish on my own. Growing up with a dad who fished the local bass master club and every other tourney I did learn to do it on my own. And sure you can pick me and all my friends up or if you don't have a big enough truck we can let you know when we go fish out there so you can act like my 4 yr old throwing a temper tantrum. All I asked was if anyone fly fished out there in the winter because I have fished there in the summer and all up and down the river and know things change day to day on the river. And all you're b/s talk about working for your spots make me laugh anyone with a fish finder can mark structures and fish and say hey thats my spot its not that hard to find a decent spot to fish. Even better for asking if anyone fly fished out there I will tell you everyone of my spots like it will make a big difference to anyone else.

The greatest "box" that Jay puts himself in is that he is part of HSO. This is an on-line forum that talks about shared experiences, techniques that are working or not, and areas that are holding fish. On top of all of that, he is in a topic that is labeled "catching smallies near Monti" too funny

One thing at a time Dylan, I am not ripping everyone, hardly. I have a hard time with gimme spots...not all are doing it. Oh and excuse me guys that i didnt get that warm fuzzy feeling as i read through my first topic. What was that bassman, shared experiences, techs, fun, cool. I forgot the part about people being called liars, lets see the young gal with her fish. Seriously i dont think there are many if anyone who could call what that fish was, but shes a liar, then anyone who says they caught a 21" smallmouth is a liar. There being called liars because why, you guys arent catching the big boys, so if your not catching them there not there.

Again crappie i've said this isnt one of my spots

I guess you would have to chalk it up to a learning experience. Back in '04, the online forums were relatively new (at least to me). I didn't realize the effect that talking about your catch would ultimately have. A lot of people were reading those reports. Now the traffic is 10 fold on the river.

I've met a lot of good people and made some good friends through this forum, so it's all good. But if you want to know where and how I'm catching them now, you'll have to be in the boat with me. In reality, I don't get out very often anymore. I have a couple of young boys that are into baseball, football, golf and I don't have much time for fishing.

Bassman "this" is from an hso member! Oh and those "areas" that you talk of at times are specific...Ditto on the great guys and gals i've met on the water

like has been said already the area has grown and to has the number of people fishing the river. heck I have lived in monticello all my life (34 years) and can remember the days when a person could drive up to the nuke plant guard shack and just sign in on a paper stating that you where on the property and you where there to fish the discharge area. as a kid growing up during this time I can remember catching some nice fish but I will say the size has decreased over the years. as monticello has grown I have seen a decrease in size of fish on some of the local lakes also so it is not just the river this has happened to.

I agree forums do spread a word on how the fishing is anywhere fish can be found. Before the forums fisherman, store owners, and the DNR had their info compiled into lake map books showing you where structure was and telling you where to better find fish and what basic lures to use to get them. And I believe in the books they label a stretch of the miss and the rum as being the best in the nation for smallie fishing. Now don't quote me on that because I haven't looked through them in a while just what I can remember.

Jay

Again this forum is all about sharing ideas, techniques, and if some want to share the spots they are catching fish so be it. The issue is some people take fishing and everything way too serious. If someone is on my "spot", I talk with them and they are always very nice and will tell me how they are doing. No one owns spots and with technology that is readily available there are few secret spots anymore. Don't call anyone a liar either. If she said it was 24" again so be it. Does it hurt you? Again why do people care if someone says their fish is of this length or weight. It's people that do this that causes these types of feeling towards one another in our little fishing community.

So when are we going to do the river cleanup get together? Maybe wait until bass season opens to to a get together, we can clean the river, hang out, and maybe catch a few of those smallies we all love chasing.

Rivers and lakes production ebbs and flows over time. Saying fishing on the river today is worse is probably true, but other places haven't gotten better. Proper management means these resources stay strong. There is strong evidence that fishing today is better than ever before due to proper resource management. I would point out that there are lakes and rivers producing world class fish today that barely held fish a few years ago. I can confidently say that the state record largemouth is most likely swimming 10 miles from Monticello. Could you say that 10-20 years ago? Doubtful. I can confidently say that the state record smallmouth is swimming in a lake that 25 years barely held a population of them. Some are mad that their spots have been "ruined", but I think thats pure laziness. The fun part of the sport is finding new spots, new lakes to fish.

For the record, people like JayJ remind me of the spot-hoarders on a lake I grew fishing (Ottertail). Large football-field sized sunken islands were "claimed" by a single boat. If you tried to fish the island too, you'd get sworn at or have them park their boat a few feet from you and they'd give you the stink-eye the whole time. Even as a young kid, I thought these guys were childish and stupid, still do today.

I can confidently say that the state record largemouth is most likely swimming 10 miles from Monticello. Could you say that 10-20 years ago? Doubtful. I can confidently say that the state record smallmouth is swimming in a lake that 25 years barely held a population of them.

Hey Presco- Can you let me know what lakes these are? I think I know the LMB lake you are referring to, but not the SMB lake....if you don't want to give up "your spot" on the forum, shoot me an email. laugh

Both lakes are very popular. One is a big panfish lake, the other is a big walleye lake. It's pretty easy to figure out.

Yea, Onafly, SHHHH, we don't share spots on this site. For those who don't know, I'm talking about Big Lake and Gull Lake of course.

Wow...this has been quite interesting haha. I moved to the cities about 2 years ago and had never fished the river in the winter before. Thanks to some people that like to share information I was able to hook into some mid-Feb smallies. I was not given any specific spots or lures. All i heard was about being able to catch some smallies around Monticello during the winter. Thanks to the people that like to help other fishermen out! Just for your viewing pleasure. Blacked out the background...didnt want to ruin anyones SPOT!!! lol.

IMG00080-1.jpg

bassfshin,

I recognize that rock in the water as well as that one tree you can see in the background. Please black out more next time to ensure we maintain secrecy in showing off our catch. Thank you.

Here is the only acceptable way of showing off a picture from now on.

Sincerely,

The "Spot" Police

full-32058-5989-smalliehso.jpg

Thanks for the great info. I had a wonderful time out there today. I did not hit anyone’s personal spots and I gave the shore fisherman the right of way.

It was a vary productive day wink

Great weather but a few ice bergs and some slush but not enough to hinder the fishing.

Thanks again every one

Andy

Thanks for the great info. I had a wonderful time out there today. I did not hit anyone’s personal spots and I gave the shore fisherman the right of way.

It was a vary productive day wink

Great weather but a few ice bergs and some slush but not enough to hinder the fishing.

Thanks again every one

Andy

so that was you that was there with the rive pro that was talked about earlier. dang I wish I would of known you were in the area and had the RP out. any ways thanks again for letting me hop in the boat with you at the shakopee event last summer. by the way I can't wait to try the rod out you made and I won. now we just need cattin to start, I am tired of winter and ready for open water

Brad B

I am tired of winter and ready for open water

You have open water all year in you back yard crazy

If I had that in my back yard I would be hitting it every day that was above freezing.

Cat fishing is just around the corner. Lots to do before it gets hot.

This was my first trip to the upper miss. I did not learn about it from the internet. There is so many fishing shows and articles on it that there is no secrets. If you are concerned about your home fishery try being an advocate of CPR and safe fish handling. Be a positive influence to the new or unknowing fisherman. You will not stop the flocks of people to your favorite fishing hole but you can help minimize the impact they have on it.

Andy

This is to comical, lol..... bassman since no one apparently taught you how to understand what you read let me help you. The "ONLY" ones calling people "liars" were your buddies. The girls fish and the ( hey Dylan ) other fishermen who said he had a 21". And the only ones calling people names are you guys.

Hey Preggo, let me get this straight, the other guys find the spots, then you move into it. Then the guy who worked for it is the lazy one. Cause they should be out looking for another spot for you...And who is the lazy one here preggo A spot hoarder, what the heck is that and how would you know if i was this spot hoarder. The difference here is that i have many areas i like to fish, if someone is close to one i move to the next. Unlike the "spot hoarder" apparently. You're all worked up about "the spot"... what spot is that?

Your right when you say there are no secret lakes or rivers anymore. what does that have to do with anything.

I'm sure those spots you were told about are precious, I mean where would you be if you had to go find your own lake or river Presco?

You have open water all year in you back yard crazy

If I had that in my back yard I would be hitting it every day that was above freezing.

Cat fishing is just around the corner. Lots to do before it gets hot.

This was my first trip to the upper miss. I did not learn about it from the internet. There is so many fishing shows and articles on it that there is no secrets. If you are concerned about your home fishery try being an advocate of CPR and safe fish handling. Be a positive influence to the new or unknowing fisherman. You will not stop the flocks of people to your favorite fishing hole but you can help minimize the impact they have on it.

Andy

I was refering to catfishing. I don't know how the cats would be now. I know you can catch them at horseshoe in the winter but have never heard about good numbers of cats being caught during the winter around monti. don't get me wrong smallies are fun but I prefer channel cats.

I thought smally season was over.:>)

bass season goes to Feb 27th,2011

smallmouth is catch and release only from september 13th 2010 to the end of the season. see page 18 of the 2010 regulation book.