• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catching Smallies near Monti

tsande00

I know that feeling eyeguy, years ago I was looking for my first 5 lb'er. I thought i had it when i lipped her. Alas 4 lb. 15 oz. Congrats eyeguy on some nice fish!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dylan33

• JayJ

• tsande00

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

River rat i dont think you can compare the two areas. Anoka to monti, your chances are a hundered times better at getting a trophy up in monti ( 20" + ). The upper miss didnt get her reputation on fishermens lies, she has produced period. That anoka strech has never been considered a trophy fishery that i know of. Thats not to say there arent bigguns down there...there are...

Imo a 22" is the true trophy on the mississippi....

none of this matters as the nuke plant is scheduled to shut down starting march 5th, 2011 for a 45 day outage. hopefully the river won't freeze like it did on the last outage. we don't need another fish kill.

Can someone fill me in? A few posters said the fishing isn't the same since the plant shut down. Are you referring to a temporary shut down like Brad B mentioned above? If so, did that temporary shut down cause the river to freeze and kill some fish? And if that is the case, how does the river freezing kill fish? If the plant had never been there, the river would freeze and the fish would be fine, right?

Brad- hopefully it's warm enough by mid march to avoid a freeze, and can you explain how a freeze would kill the fish? Thanks

that outage that killed the fish happened in january of that year and what happened is that the river tempature went from around 60 degrees down to 30 degrees in less the 1/2 a day thus the river froze over and the drastic drop in the temp was to much of a shock for these fish to survive. some did make it but it is different since before this freeze. the channel catfish thou are still running 20 to 24 inches so they didn't get hurt to bad by it but the small mouth sure took the hit. another thing excel has to look at when they schedule outages is the swan population on the river locally. if they shut down to early and the river freezes it displaces all these swans that winter on the river in monticello.

There is zero chance the river freezes over completely at that time Dylan. Hopefully the water temps are above avg. for that time of year, I would think that would help in numbers. The technical term is called "thermal shock" and it doesnt take much of a water temperature change to induce fish kill

They have Biologists on the payroll, They do all kinds of population tests in their area of influence.

I'd bet they do a gradual cool down or wait till it doesn't matter.

The accidental shut down didn't affect the overall fish population too much.

I'm doing about the same this year as before the accident...

It did kill a few,

But,

Down stream fish are filling in.

Seems I've seen a study that showed river fish migrate, A Lot.

The Nuke plant is Good! (on many differant levels)

Lets make more!

One last thing, it's not just a fish kill but many other organisms that have adapted to that particular temperature range as well...

Yes just a few thousand (Probably more) fishface, lol. But i agree with fishface in that there aware of the situation. But will it matter is another thing. I dont know just how much thermal pollution this plant causes, but it is harmful to fish and other organisms to be sure. Hey I fish it too and have for many moons so i guess its a trade-off so to speak. But the river would be healthier without it bottom line

So after reading all the posts here on the smallies, do any of you fly fish for them in the colder months? I really have the itch to get the fly rods out to try for a few sounds like it would be fun.

Did you want a map maybe? Then you can bring your 6 friends and then they can bring there 6 friends. Won't that be fun. And thats whats going on here. The guys here have been very forthright ( to much so imo ) where there fishing and with what there using fly fishing............maybe I can pick you up at your door too. What a shame, the new wave of fishermen ( not all but certainly most). Spots that were known by guys who were out there working there butts off, learning, fighting the elements, spending countless hrs on the water are given up on a whim now to a guy who is to lazy to work at all. And on-line no less, lol. It would be one thing if they were at least out on the water. Hey guys just tell me where there biting. Sorry to pick on you but come on.

Case in point: Areas around montissippi park.

This was a pretty cool thread to read for a while. Too bad.

But, frankly speaking, hot water discharges from power plants are no secret. All it takes is a little bit of research and deduction to find an open water spot in winter, but you seem to be trying to make folks feel sorry for enjoying it on a day off from work. I'll be damned if I apologize for it.

I couldnt agree more on the power plant being no secret. Since it was built im sure. But if thats all it was leg this area would have been getting pounded years ago. Do most sportsmen know about this area and always have, heck yes. But you never have had the dramatic increase in fishing pressure you see now. No one asked anyone not to enjoy, that wasnt meant to sound like that if it did but the ease of info going out is i dont know. I mean i never asked anyone where do you go, i went out and fished or hunted. We even as a youngster (and most all of you) had spots weather it was a hunting or fishing spot and you just didnt give them away. And certainly not to just anyone, it was inconsiderate to the person that turned you onto the spot in the first place. And if you did it eventually wasnt a hot spot anymore, lol. I am definately old school lol. Leg my issue is just that! I realize that its hard to not share info with your fellow sportsmen and that its a touchy subject.

So after reading all the posts here on the smallies, do any of you fly fish for them in the colder months? I really have the itch to get the fly rods out to try for a few sounds like it would be fun.

Yes...people fly fish the Mississippi in Monticello in the winter.

Jay- relax. Crappiegetter wasn't asking for specifics on anything, just if people fly fish the area in the winter. He didn't want to know where "your" spot was, or what "you" use to catch fish. The open water in Monticello is good fishing and it is no secret, it is also not necessarily a small area- good fishing for a few miles of river. If you are upset that someone found "your spot", then move and find another one.

And certainly not to just anyone, it was inconsiderate to the person that turned you onto the spot in the first place.

So let's get this straight, if someone gives info to YOU it's okay, but as soon as that info is shared with someone outside of your circle, it's the end of the world? Let's step back, take a breath, and realize that this isn't that bad. You just might have to work a little harder know that "your" spot is well known/busier.

When someone gives me "info" dylan it stays with me, I dont take that "info" that i was privileged with and then turn on every tom, Richard and martha to a spot or spots so they can turn on there friends (etc.) to that spot which well was precious to that person. I found 99.9% of my "spots" in other words i worked. If you and i were out on the river fishing and you showed me a spot of yours Dylan it would remain a secret with me, I certainly wouldnt go on here and tell all about it. It's called sportmenship. I'd say the fishing has increased ten-fold, how would you love to climb in your deer stand dylan only to find ten orange coats around you, maybe your pheasant slough and find ten cars ahead of you. Would that take away from your hunt? Would you be happy with me? How long do you think that cool spot will be just that? My issue here is the ease at which spots etc. are given out.....This isnt my spot by any means, lol but i see what has happened to the area in question.

JayJ, you sound like a real bundle of joy. The guy asked if people fly fish that stretch, not a map of the spots or even what people are using. Its people like you that make me sad to be a fishermen. I don't readily share spots either, but when someone asks me a specific question, I'll answer it. I suggest you switch to boxers, because your briefs are obviously a tad tight these days.

IMO, these shows that highlight that stretch in the winter are causing much of the traffic increase. I've seen 3 shows in the past year alone including the latest Midwest Outdoors. Plus, Ron Schara did something on it last last year. I've talked to about 4-5 people up there that learned about it from seeing something on TV. If you want to get [PoorWordUsage], blame TV, not your fellow fishermen.

For whats its worth, I've been fishing that stretch for 4-5 years and while the traffic has increased a lot (no way its 10x), the quality and quantity hasn't decreased at all.

These "shows" have been on for many, many years as have the 2,700 articles by tim h. in the minn. sportsmen. etc, etc...not so sure what cave you've been living in. These articles, shows, seminars etc. havent caused the pressure, its the loose lips here that have hurt the most period.

4-5 years huh pres and suddenly your an expert and actually know all about the fish, the ole miss, the pressure over the last ten years, etc. you sound informed. its guys like you that have no clue what your even talking about. hey pres wheres one of your fav holes, let me know ok so i can send 25 fishermen over there and if its good they can send 25 more. Lets talk about your spots pres,

Holy Moly Jay- I don't want to get into a [PoorWordUsage] match here, but how can you say that you are 100% certain that the increased fishing pressure is from people talking? Might it have something to do with the fact that the population in Monticello/Big Lake/Rogers/St.Michael/Albertville area has increased by a few hundred thousand people in the past 10-20 years? More people in an area will result in more people fishing that area. PERIOD! Your spots that were quiet 10-20 years ago aren't anymore because there are more people living right next to it! Don't blame your fellow sportsman and come across like an A-hole!

If you and i were out on the river fishing and you showed me a spot of yours Dylan it would remain a secret with me, I certainly wouldnt go on here and tell all about it. It's called sportmenship.

Jay- I'm not going to show you any of my spots. laugh

4-5 years huh pres and suddenly your an expert and actually know all about the fish, the ole miss, the pressure over the last ten years, etc. you sound informed. its guys like you that have no clue what your even talking about.

Also Jay- Presco never claimed to be an expert, he didn't say he knew everything about everything...he gave his experience. You say it sounds like Presco has no clue what he is talking about? I say you sound like a complete A$$h0le!

Are people going out to the Miss to keep smallies? I would think they would be more of a sport fishery. Maybe there is more pressure now, but that just means fish are smarter. Meaning you need figure out what they want, instead of just throwing whatever you've got in the box at a stupid fish.

Also, this isn't like ice fishing where everyone can just go find the hole based on the group of houses. Saying people fish the Miss by Monti is pretty general. No one is taking pics of spots and including GPS coords.

I can understand the frustration in naming a 100 acre lake, but the biggest river in Minnesota?

OnaFly- Thanks! Smallmouth bass from September 13 until the season closes on Feb 27th is C&R only. NO ONE should be keeping smallmouth during the winter. So you are right, it is a sport fishery on the biggest river in MN, plenty of spots to fish, you just need to work harder to catch them. and on a side note...If there are more people fishing, enjoying our sport that we all have a passion for, I think that is a good thing. JayJ is just a grumpy old man. laugh

JayJ sounds like one of those old guys that fishes out of a lawn chair at Montissippi? JayJ, your lawn chair doesn't get rusty fishing there does it? Oops, hope I didn't ruin your best spot.

Per JayJ's advice, I will stop fishing the river. As a non-expert, I don't deserve to share the river with experts like him. For what its worth, the guy that told about it makes his living fishing the FLW Bass Tour. He's only been fishing the river for 8-10 years. I'll call him now and tell him to stop fishing it as well, while he may make a living catching bass, he's no expert.

lol In any case.

I was out last Sunday, got skunked, and had an eye fall out of a guide so my trip ended early. While I was there, I noticed how many lures and how much garbage was just sitting there.

I was wondering how many folks would be interested in getting together and doing a cleanup in the river once it got warmer, say in late April/early May if the river isn't too high. Bring some meat to grill and make a potluck kind of thing out of it one afternoon.

What do you guys think?

lol In any case.

I was out last Sunday, got skunked, and had an eye fall out of a guide so my trip ended early. While I was there, I noticed how many lures and how much garbage was just sitting there.

I was wondering how many folks would be interested in getting together and doing a cleanup in the river once it got warmer, say in late April/early May the river isn't too high. Bring some meat to grill and make a potluck kind of thing out of it one afternoon.

What do you guys think?

I'd be down for that. I frequently walk along the river through the stretch most are fishing. Maybe you guys can give me some pointers on shore fishing. (hopefully Jay isn't around to chastise anybody grin )

I was out on Sunday too; fished the river for the first time. Enjoyed watching the guys in the RiverPro catch fish after fish. Me? Skunked. Still a beautiful day to be standing along the river.

I'm in for a river cleanup day. JayJ, come on down and we'll bury the hatchet over a beer or 3. No hard feelings, okay Jay?

Who else is with me?

I left just as they guys with the Riverpro backed down the ramp. They were worried about getting out of my way but I told them not to worry and take their time. Good thing too, because the one fella put the plug in the livewell, not the bilge. oops.

As for JayJ, I think he can come too if he promises to behave. smile