• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My dad and I were out yesterday (Saturday 26th) He caught two dinks. I got blanked. I had a number of lookers. Judging by the thin red band on my flasher and the fact what ever it was would chase my lure all over, I am guessing they were little trout. Some seemed to like the barbie colored Stop Sign a lot and a few of them also took intrest in a purple ciscoe colored Rattl'N Flyer.

It was actually pretty nice out. Even with the cool temps the absence of wind or at most a light breeze coupled with clear skies made fishing out in the open with adequate outerwear comfortable.

The areas I drove through were easily traveled by truck. Most of it probably only had 2" - 3" of snow with 6" at the most. I drove where ever I wanted to. The cold weather definitely locked up the slush in the areas we drove over. Must have been a bear to get around at one time though, there was 8" of milky white ice over the nice clear stuff.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• Wanderer

Snowbank has proved itself over the past 2 years. Last year was a phenomenal year for lakers and this year has only gotten better. The trout on that lake dont see as much pressure, maybe thats why you catch more? I dont know but every time my dad or I go out we always come home with plenty to eat. Glad to hear you did good!! grin

fished burntside from around 8:30-12:30. iced a nice fat 28incher in the first 20min of fishing. it hammered my tube 25ft down in about 45fow. marked one other fish after that. found a big pocket of slush east of state island out over the main basin. i got my truck stuck. it took some digging to get out. be careful out there.

Mike, thanks for the update on lake condition. How would walking on the lake be (dragging a heavily loaded portable)?

Mike, thanks for the update on lake condition. How would walking on the lake be (dragging a heavily loaded portable)?

pulling a heavy portable would be a lot of work. doable but a lot of work.

I wish I would have taken a picture now. Saturday there was a CAR on the lake north of Van Vac landing. It had gone beyond the plowed road. I kid you not. There was also a Subaru out with it, but the car appeared to be a FWD. I am not advocating taking the grocery getter or the daily commuting sedan out there but people were getting around on the lake fairly easily.

I have a full size GMC. I drove from Van Vac to the north, between Berry and Honeymoon, around the north side of State to a hump north of Dollar and then south of Waters to head off the lake at Van Vac. In my travels I had no issues and driving was good. There had also been other vehicles that had gone basically the same route I had.

Only because you had the Dodge Angel sitting on your shoulder! gringrin

Hey Y'all,

Time has been limited so this report is a few days late.

We fished last Friday - Sunday. Two of us caught a grand total of 7 lakers for 3 days from 2 lakes. It was not the best fishing we've had this year.

Friday on Burntside I iced two 24 inch fish. One just before 10 am and the other at 3:45. Both on a Rattling Flyer.

Saturday on Lac La Croix we each iced a 23 incher around mid - day. Both on Rattling Flyers. Another real small fish came up later that afternoon. For a "Big Fish" trip we really came up empty but we'll go back.

Sunday on Burntside again it took us until mid-day to early afternoon to put one 25 incher and one 28 incher on the ice. Both on Rattling Flyers.

We tried ALL our usual baits and you can see what worked the best. The fishing was just slow and it took the all day efforts to get the ones we got. So goes February. Hopefully March will be better.

Travelling conditions were near perfect for the snowmobiles. Good luck this weekend.

2-2011005.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I was kind of wondering where the report was? I thought maybe you didn't want to post the Big bite results maybe? wink

Fished Burntside alone Thursday to Saturday. Fishing for me was slow. Iced two lakers; 27½" (8#-9oz) and 22" (3#-15oz). Both were caught on 5" sucker minnows, 3 feet off the bottom in 62fow (1pm on Friday and 11am on Saturday). The bigger fish peeled all 100 yards of line off of my tip-up before I got to it. Also had one hit on a jig (came off after 10 feet) and had two other follows. Marked only a couple other fish during the three days.

Nice fish. Good job even though you might have been expecting more action. I'm hoping the March madness kicks up a notch by this weekend. This will probably be our last chance to get up there to ice lakers for the season. Where'd the winter go????

Where's Chunkytrout? I've seen him about town a couple times. Happy as ever by the looks of it. Steve knows more though. I think he's doing fine.

Nice fish. Good job even though you might have been expecting more action. I'm hoping the March madness kicks up a notch by this weekend. This will probably be our last chance to get up there to ice lakers for the season. Where'd the winter go????

Where's Chunkytrout? I've seen him about town a couple times. Happy as ever by the looks of it. Steve knows more though. I think he's doing fine.

Tracy, so this coming weekend maybe your last hoora of the winter? confused I was thinking of maybe hitting B/Side as well. Has anyone heard which way the storm this week maybe headed? frown

Hey Steve,

No, I haven't heard much about the storm other than they're toning down the predicted amount for the Cities anyway. Sounds like Rochester is in for it again. Doesn't matter much though, every trip I've made out of town since November (except last weekend) I've been driving through a storm. Getting way too used to it.

I don't know how our B-side plans are looking. We got all our documentation for crossing the border and plan to fish Ontario some this weekend. We spent one day in there last weekend and want to put in a bigger try this weekend. Our lodging arrangements will determine where we fish. It's close to a two hour drive from my place before dropping the snowmobiles. I have relatives that live out that way that might not mind having us borrow some floor for the weekend. Waiting on the word.

Ahhh, the big "C" that's a whole different animal then just jumping off on B/S. Have fun! wink

Has anyone heard how the bite on trout lake is? You'd have to hike in there a couple miles but would it be worth the walk?

Has anyone heard how the bite on trout lake is? You'd have to hike in there a couple miles but would it be worth the walk?

If I lived in warroad I sure as heck wouldn't drive east to fish lake trout.

fished burntside from around 9-3:30. iced 3 trout. two of the trout were very small. one was around 1 pound and the other was about a half pound. the third was a nice dark 30incher. it was one of the darker lakers i have caught on burntside. i also lost another nice fish just after the hook set. it had my heavy action polarlites rod doubled over. it was on for about 2 seconds. marked a couple other fish. it was windy out there today!

P3110368.jpg

has anyone been out to canisteo pit/buckeye pit for trout recently?? was wondering if they are driving out?

It was an interesting day Saturday on boarder water. Started slow, snowing with East wind. 1st fish was about 11:30. About 1:00 the wind stopped and by 1:30 it was blowing from the Northwest. The two of us pulled up 3 in that half hour counting a little one. One more came through the ice just after 5PM. All jigging from two holes, missed the only flag.

So far the Trout Dogs are living up to their names!

no fish today. marked a few. fish just didnt want to hit for me today. had one BIG mark nibble a couple times. i was in the same spot that i got that 30incher. could have been the same fish.