• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

Vikes are working out all the major Qbs, except I haven't heard one name yet. I think it was Speilman who said they got "blown off" by one at the combine. My 2+2 =4, mind says that may be why they aren't checking out everybody. Some players do NOT want to play certain places.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

Anyone have a clue which kind of QB Musgrave likes? With Webb we have the athletic scrambler. With Bomar, I think he is similar to Locker. Mallet and Gabbert would be the strong armed pocket passer. Should we have 3 types? OR three with similar traits?

Add Tyrod Taylor to my list for late rounds.

Locker, Mallet, Ponder are round two qbs--i hope we draft one of those in round two and either a corner or o lineman in round 1

Locker is not a round 2 qb any longer. Some of the latest info says he may be off the board by the Vikings first pick.

Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi and Charley Casserly both criticized Jake Locker's Wednesday Pro Day for being "too easy."

Locker did focus on the short passing game in the scripted, 42-throw workout, and missed on his only two true deep-ball tries. "Mostly short throws, over the middle," is how Casserly described the Pro Day. "If you're a senior in high school, you'd better have an A-plus in this workout." Lombardi noted "not a lot of decision makers in attendance," which reportedly could indicate that Locker is not high on many teams' draft boards.

This from last night, after his pro day.

ok, here are any posted about him in the last couple days.

Quote:
One personnel man tells NFL Network's Albert Breer that Jake Locker would be a good fit for the Redskins.

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson agrees, and ESPN's Mel Kiper said previously that he "knows for sure" coach Mike Shanahan loved Locker before he opted to stay in school last year. Shanahan's offense is heavy on quarterback bootlegs, and Locker is at his most accurate throwing outside the pocket. Williamson likened Locker to "a cross between Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer."

Quote:
Jake Locker completed 40-of-42 passes at the Washington Huskies' Wednesday Pro Day.

It's being reported as 38-of-40 in other places, but we watched the Pro Day and are pretty darn sure it was 40-of-42. Regardless, it was an accurate display, which is exactly what Locker needed after completing a startlingly low 53.92 percent of his career college throws. ESPN 101's Tony Softli predicts that Locker could be a top-ten pick in April's draft.

Quote:
Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times doubts the Seahawks are sold on Washington QB Jake Locker enough to select him at No. 25 overall.

O'Neil concedes that he has no "hard, declarative statements" on Locker from the Seahawks' brass. He's just picking up signals with his beat writer antennae. Considering Seattle's West Coast scheme, Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder are more logical candidates. Locker will hold his Pro Day workout Wednesday at 2:00 ET.

Quote:
NFL Network's Charley Casserly hasn't spoken with a single team that would select Washington QB Jake Locker in the first round.

Casserly's two biggest knocks on Locker are accuracy and inconsistency in reading defenses. NFL Network colleague Michael Lombardi pointed to a poor pocket sense as Locker's major weakness. "He looks to run so quickly," said Lombardi. "He feels pressure and gets out of the pocket."

Quote:
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, some NFL teams have Jake Locker graded as low as the fourth round.

Lombardi doesn't say if these teams have quarterback needs or not. He does concede that some clubs still have Locker with a top-ten overall grade. Added NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "Talking to QB coaches ... the consensus is it's going to take some time (for Locker to develop). A one- to two-year period of time." We still fully expect Locker to go in the top 20.

Locker may go in the 1st round...even in the top 10. Being a CAREER low 50% completion guy, I sure hope we stay away from that. We've got Bohmar who is almost the exact same project already on the team. Bohmar was the starter at Oklahoma as a freshman...he has talent.

IMO, Mallet is the only true legitimate pro-style q-back in this years draft. We're looking for a guy who can WIN a game with 1:20 left on the clock and needs to go 75 yards...I'm sorry, Locker is not that guy.

Locker is terrible in the pocket...that equals FAILURE in the NFL.

I heard this same jazz from people when Matt Ryan came out from Boston college. Go look at junksons career completion percentage in college. We saw first hand how numbers translate to the NFL.

Mallet is the only one of those three that "may" fall to round 2, due to all the negative rumers flying around.There are too many QB hungry teams for that to happen.

Locker reminds me of Steve Young. Almost a carbon copy...except right handed. Young did o.k. didn't he?

Steve Young's senior year of college completion percentage--71.3%

Jake Locker's senior year of college completion percentage--55.4%

Locker will be a BUST! He's no comparison to Steve Young.

More Steve Young stats:

6'2" 205 #

Went to BYU first year 50% completions, second year 62.7%, third year 71.3%

He strugled passing and they considered moving him to db.

Also played basketball and baseball...pitcher and cf

Signed with LA Express of ufl...first year 57.7%, second year 54.8%

Signed with Tampa Bay...first year record 3-16 with 52.2% completions, second year 53.7%

Traded to San Fransisco, first year 53.6%, second year 53.5%, third year 69.6%, fourth year 61.3% etc.

I'm seeing A LOT OF SIMILARITIES between Young and Locker.

The question is: Can the Vikes wait 6 years for Locker to "develop", like it took Young???? Young was considered a BUST, until his 3rd year in SF.

I heard this same jazz from people when Matt Ryan came out from Boston college. Go look at junksons career completion percentage in college. We saw first hand how numbers translate to the NFL.

What does Matt Ryan OR TJack have to do with Jake Locker?

People considered Ryan to be the most polished q-back to come out of college in the last 10 years...you hear Ryan and Luck in the same conversations about this.

TJack...he played at a mid-major and was considered a 5th/6th rounder. That's exactly what he was....only we moved up to take him in the 2nd.

Neither has anything to do with Lockers inability to make a decision in the pocket.

Your right. Let's just wait and grab someone in the 4th round and hope we hit on the once in a lifetime Tom Brady and pass up the guy that more and more people have as a potential top 10 pick. If this team takes this route and tries to fill the qb of the future role this way then heads need to roll. This team needs to get a top talent in here. Look no further than to where pretty much all the top NFL qbs come from. Locker by many accounts is no longer a stretch at 12. If he is there u take him. Everywhere you look right now, locker is the name being tagged to the vikings. PS what you remember about Ryan before he was drafted is far different than the question marks I remember hearing about.

Not everyone:

Quote:

4' date='507 passing yards

31 TD's - 19 INT's

59.3 completion %

Draft Projection - Top 10

NFL Impact

Matt Ryan seems to have all the intangibles it takes to be a top NFL signal caller. He has good size, and seems to understand the game well. However, his 19 INT's last year raise a red flag and he went through cold spells on accuracy in college. He has a gunslinger streak to him which is the cause of many of his interceptions. Ryan seems like a safe pick, but not sure if there is the superstar potential you would like if you were going to spend a top 10 pick on him. Ryan may be someone who could slide some come draft day.

Quote:
Ryan is the premiere quarterback of the class of 2008. He is a first round prospect with all the intangibles and is described accurately as a "winner." When compared to other draft classes, Ryan doesn't have the status of a Peyton or Eli Manning, Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger to some clubs, but he is a guy you can build a club around. It will be hard for Atlanta, Kansas City and Baltimore to all pass him in the top 10 spots. Ryan takes chances to win games, and has the pocket presence to keep a play alive and create on his own. Ryan has a good chance to have a Matt Hasselbeck type of career.[/quote']

I think his point was that Jackson put up numbers fairly similar to Ryan in college but obviously those numbers meant little once they both got to the NFL. One has done well and the other not so much.

Your right. Let's just wait and grab someone in the 4th round and hope we hit on the once in a lifetime Tom Brady and pass up the guy that more and more people have as a potential top 10 pick. If this team takes this route and tries to fill the qb of the future role this way then heads need to roll. This team needs to get a top talent in here. Look no further than to where pretty much all the top NFL qbs come from. Locker by many accounts is no longer a stretch at 12. If he is there u take him. Everywhere you look right now, locker is the name being tagged to the vikings. PS what you remember about Ryan before he was drafted is far different than the question marks I remember hearing about.

I don't want to "grab" for a qb in any round other than the first two. I'm a Mallet fan...IMO, we get him or we stay with what we currently have and sign a veteran. Maybe pick up McElroy in the later rounds with one of compensatory picks.

I've said it before...Bohmar and Locker are too similiar to draft him (Locker)in the 1st round.

By the way...the Redskins are the team most have linked to Locker.

Kind of ironic that your guy has been tagged with the highest probability of flop in this whole class. Guys with big arms that are complete headcases are not a recipe for success. If this is 10 years ago it would be Ryan Leaf all over again. The difference is this day and age teams know better. Hence the reason he will be a 2nd round pick and not a top 5 pick and probably not even worthy of the term flop. Just another guy with the physical tools but not anything else needed to be successful.

Those with the highest ceilings always get tagged with having the biggest chance to fall as well...it comes with the territory.

I think it's a mistake to compare q-backs with those past and present... but when I watched Mallet play the last two years one name came to mind everytime...Phillip Rivers.

There is a reason the guy with the best physical tools is a projected 2nd rounder. I want nothing to do with him.

"the reason" he's projected as a second rounder(by some), is NOT his talent level.....it is all the rumors, inuendoes, accusations flying around. Who has most to gain by spreading such rumors???? Rumors seem to gain strength on their own...even unfounded ones. I found a report on Mallet, done by someone who really dug into his past. He found nothing to prove all the rumors (except one public intoxified charge), and didn't think they had merit. His coaches, teammates, etc. all had positive comments on his character, work ethic, AND LEADERSHIP. The interviews I saw were o.k., although I don't think they are his favorite thing to do(like Moss and Chili types do). If the FO wants a talented QB that can stretch the field, and help us win soon, they draft Mallet. If they want a "dink and dunk", hand-off to AP type, they draft Ponder, or Stanzi, or Devlin, or McElroy.

The way Fraziers attitude is "looking ahead", forget mistakes,I do NOT see them passing on Mallet just because of some unsubstantiated rumors from the past.

Need a deep threat and a big armmed QB to open up the middle for Harvin...AND the line for AP. Draft playmakers on DEFENSE!!!!!

Geez, if I read any more regurgitated Paul Allen talking points on Jake Locker I'm going to puke. sick

In case you people haven't noticed by now, pretty much everything said on the 9am-noon show on KFAN is usually wrong and it's typically a good idea to do a 180 from whatever P.A. says. You'll be better off in the long run! wink

So your telling me the general consensus of him being a 2nd rounder is based on bogus info? NFL teams are going to pass on a franchise qb based on a bunch of bogus info? You don't think these teams have done their proper research? Lol come on now. What do you think coaches and teammates are going to say? Did you really expect them to throw him under the bus? If he had all the skills to be a top 5 pick AND nothing in his "closet", he would be a top 5 pick. NFL teams don't pass on franchise qbs based on bogus reports.

Depending on WHOSE info you are reading, will determine who they LIKE and who they DON"T LIKE. SOME have LOCKER FALLING.....SOME have MALLET falling. I've even read about some thinking Gabbert will fall, and Newton, too. It only takes 1 team that needs a QB, and thinks "this" guy has the best value, or fits them the best, and he will be gone(whoever). By May 1 we'll have a better idea whistle

I agree....."NFL teams don't pass on franchise QBs because of bogus reports". It won't surprise me if Mallet goes BEFORE Locker on the FIRST DAY. There is so much info, mis-info, rumors,smoke-screens , etc out there about everybody , we won't know til after the draft for sure, when anyone is going, cause it is such a fluid thing.

This much I am very confident of.....Frazier and co. will do all they can to figure out the best guys for our team, and if the problem was in the past, and is no longer a problem, they won't hesitate to draft someone. Fraziers thing is "look ahead, not back".

Fraziers thing is "look ahead, not back".

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it....

So your telling me the general consensus of him being a 2nd rounder is based on bogus info? NFL teams are going to pass on a franchise qb based on a bunch of bogus info? You don't think these teams have done their proper research? Lol come on now. What do you think coaches and teammates are going to say? Did you really expect them to throw him under the bus? If he had all the skills to be a top 5 pick AND nothing in his "closet", he would be a top 5 pick. NFL teams don't pass on franchise qbs based on bogus reports.

You are correct. However, I haven't heard any of the rumors or stories about Mallet become substantiated by anyone yet....none.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Mallet go in the top 5 and I also wouldn't be suprised to see him fall to the 2nd round. The same can be said for Locker and half of the other so-called "first rounders" that people have on their mock boards now.

There is a reason the guy with the best physical tools is a projected 2nd rounder. I want nothing to do with him.

Randy Moss or Percy Harvin immediately come to mind when I read statements like this.

Well sold I have a bit different take on fraziers thinking. My guess is with where the vikings sit at qb, if there is a hint of doubt, any red flags at all, they will NOT pull the trigger. Certainly not stretch for a guy at 12 for someone projected in the 2nd round. I mean let's get something clear. This is not a guy that anyone thinks is going to go anywhere near the top 10, but may fall to the 2nd. This guy is a projected 2nd rounder. There is zero chance the vikrs take him in the first round.

Every "draft guru" has a different take also.....how many mocks do you see that are the same?

I finally found that in depth report about Mallet, I was referring to before. It is l-o-n-g, but worth the read. Google DRAFT WINDS: Lies ,dam lies , and Ryan mallet by Dave Hyde written on March 29.

I always liked Mallets arm and ball fakes, but didn't like the rumors etc.. Now they don't bother me, AND THE REPORTS I SEE ARE "THE vIKES ARE SPENDING A LOT OF time WITH MALLET". Anything can be read into that of course.....as well as someone with a closed mind, may not accept any of the report.